Team Ranking AA and A separately

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aaacoach11

Team Ranking AA and A separately

Postby aaacoach11 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:01 am

Should we do a different Top 10 team ranking for AA and A now that A has their own state team champion?

highleghillary

Re: Team Ranking AA and A separately

Postby highleghillary » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:05 am

aaacoach11 wrote:Should we do a different Top 10 team ranking for AA and A now that A has their own state team champion?

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Not your question, but the second part of your comment.

aaacoach11

Postby aaacoach11 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:10 am

It's true, cross country started it with this school year. The highest finishing A team in AA/A is considered the A team champion. They will get a trophy and all. Not sure about runner up.

highleghillary

Postby highleghillary » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:35 am

aaacoach11 wrote:It's true, cross country started it with this school year. The highest finishing A team in AA/A is considered the A team champion. They will get a trophy and all. Not sure about runner up.

Wow! That wouldn't be good for the sport if so. I understand ppl want their recognition, but this would beat the entire purpose being "aa/a." The state is already becoming less competitive at a high level, than it already was!

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:03 pm

What if a Single A team finishes second overall? Do they get the Runner-up trophy and the Single A Championship? Or does the Runner-up Trophy goes to the 2nd place Double A Team?

What if a Single A team wins the overall team championship? Does the top finishing Double A team get a Double A Team Championship Trophy? or the Runner-up Trophy?

aaacoach11

Postby aaacoach11 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:47 pm

Very valid points Brent. I'm sure the SSAC hasn't thought those scenarios through yet. However, as of today the single A team finishing the highest is getting a champIon ship trophy on February 25th in Huntington.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:06 pm

aaacoach11 wrote:Very valid points Brent. I'm sure the SSAC hasn't thought those scenarios through yet. However, as of today the single A team finishing the highest is getting a champIon ship trophy on February 25th in Huntington.

There are many scenarios the SSAC has obviously overlooked in wrestling.

1. AAA region 4
2. AA/A region 1
3. Byes in the state tournament and no plan to fill them with wrestlers.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:52 pm

Totally agree bearhugger; I think it would be a good thing to rate AA and A separately. Region 4 in AAA needs changed!;byes in states need addressed too, the best wrestlers should be at states. Maybe have some at large bids or do away with regionals have bigger state tourney.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:56 pm

What is accomplished by splitting the polls? What is the goal?

Based on line-ups from submitted scores this year:

Greenbrier West has an A team and a B team
Madonna has 3 open weight classes
Magnolia has 1 open
Ritchie County has 2 open
St. Mary's has 4 open
Tyler Cons 7 open
Buffalo 1 open
Wahama 5 open
Wirt 1 open
Doddridge 3 open
South Harrison 2 open
Fayetteville 7 open
Richwood 8 open
Midland Trail 4 open
Richwood 7 open
Ravenswood (no team roster found)
Notre Dame 11 open

No scores found:
Calhoun County
Wheeling Central (wrestling not listed as a school sport on school website)
Parkersburg Catholic (wrestling not listed as a school sport on school website)
Man (wrestling not listed as a school sport on school website)
St. Joe Central (wrestling not listed as a school sport on school website)
Clay-Battelle
East Hardy
Meadow Bridge (I have been told they were putting a team together, but have never seen any evidence of one)

So there are 20 single-A schools with teams, 4 of which do not appear to report scores. That leaves 17 teams reporting scores, and 6 of those teams only have 6 or 7 wrestlers, leaving 11 teams to compete for 10 ranking spots, and 99 time out of 100 Greenbrier West will be #1 since they are the only team that doesn't start every dual down 6-24 points. I repeat, what is the point?
Last edited by coach_williams on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:15 pm

coach_williams wrote:What is accomplished by splitting the polls? What is the goal?

Based on line-ups from submitted scores this year:

Greenbrier West has an A team and a B team
Madonna has 3 open weight classes
Magnolia has 1 open
Ritchie County has 2 open
St. Mary's has 8 open
Tyler Cons 7 open
Buffalo 1 open
Wahama 5 open
Wirt 1 open
Doddridge 3 open
South Harrison 2 open
Fayetteville 7 open
Richwood 8 open
Midland Trail 4 open
Richwood 7 open
Ravenswood (no team roster found)

No scores found:
Calhoun County
Wheeling Central (wrestling not listed as a school sport on school website)
Parkersburg Catholic (wrestling not listed as a school sport on school website)
Man (wrestling not listed as a school sport on school website)
St. Joe Central (wrestling not listed as a school sport on school website)
Clay-Battelle
East Hardy
Notre Dame
Meadow Bridge

So with only 16 teams even reporting scores and many of them rarely reporting scores, and 5 of those teams only having 6 or 7 wrestlers, we will probably have the same 10 teams always ranked and 99 times out of 100 Greenbrier West will be #1 since they are the only team that doesn't start every dual down 6-24 points. I repeat, what is the point?

We got the same situation in AAA with South always being #1. Maybe the purpose of ranking would be to see the changes in who is #2 from week to week. Also, come state tournament time, the single A team who walks in with the largest squad may not be the team to walk out with the championship.

Regional battle will whittle down many teams also.

IndyHart

Postby IndyHart » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:37 pm

There's going to be a Class A champion recognized this season at the state tournament. The purpose of a separate poll for those schools would be to encourage discussion and debate about which teams might win that honor. While how teams might fare in a dual meet might offer some insight, the state championship is going to be decided in a bracketed tournament where AA schools also compete and competitors have to qualify through regional qualification. Greenbrier West has more depth and fills more of the weights, but they are a really young team. Madonna has fewer wrestlers, but more state tournament experience. Madonna is probably going to have more trouble getting their guys qualified out of their region. I haven't seen Wirt yet, but I see a lot of names I recognize in their lineup and I'm hearing good things about how hard they've worked. Ranking them separately makes sense to me because team awards are going to be given separately. I'm also sure that type of recognition will be something positive that their coaches can point to when talking to kids about their program. Any extra good publicity for wrestling and wrestlers is a good thing.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:59 pm

IndyHart wrote:There's going to be a Class A champion recognized this season at the state tournament. The purpose of a separate poll for those schools would be to encourage discussion and debate about which teams might win that honor. While how teams might fare in a dual meet might offer some insight, the state championship is going to be decided in a bracketed tournament where AA schools also compete and competitors have to qualify through regional qualification. Greenbrier West has more depth and fills more of the weights, but they are a really young team. Madonna has fewer wrestlers, but more state tournament experience. Madonna is probably going to have more trouble getting their guys qualified out of their region. I haven't seen Wirt yet, but I see a lot of names I recognize in their lineup and I'm hearing good things about how hard they've worked. Ranking them separately makes sense to me because team awards are going to be given separately. I'm also sure that type of recognition will be something positive that their coaches can point to when talking to kids about their program. Any extra good publicity for wrestling and wrestlers is a good thing.

Well said IndyHart.
Moderator WV Mat

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:07 pm

IndyHart wrote:There's going to be a Class A champion recognized this season at the state tournament. The purpose of a separate poll for those schools would be to encourage discussion and debate about which teams might win that honor. While how teams might fare in a dual meet might offer some insight, the state championship is going to be decided in a bracketed tournament where AA schools also compete and competitors have to qualify through regional qualification. Greenbrier West has more depth and fills more of the weights, but they are a really young team. Madonna has fewer wrestlers, but more state tournament experience. Madonna is probably going to have more trouble getting their guys qualified out of their region. I haven't seen Wirt yet, but I see a lot of names I recognize in their lineup and I'm hearing good things about how hard they've worked. Ranking them separately makes sense to me because team awards are going to be given separately. I'm also sure that type of recognition will be something positive that their coaches can point to when talking to kids about their program. Any extra good publicity for wrestling and wrestlers is a good thing.

No argument from me on this. Publicity is a good thing. However, we can get a pretty good idea of who will be the top contenders in the single-A tournament based on individual rankings. Are we going to split the individual rankings into AA and A as well? Splitting the team polls doesn't influence those.

aacoach21

Postby aacoach21 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:15 pm

What about moving the state tournament back a week or the regions up a week and only take the top 3 from each region and then the middle weekend have a last chance qualifier and take the top 4 from each class to fill the rest of the brackets eliminates the byes and gets the top wrestlers there reguardless of region

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:33 pm

coach_williams wrote:

No argument from me on this. Publicity is a good thing. However, we can get a pretty good idea of who will be the top contenders in the single-A tournament based on individual rankings. Are we going to split the individual rankings into AA and A as well? Splitting the team polls doesn't influence those.

No need to split the individual rankings. There are no plans to crown an individual champion in Single A for each weight class.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:35 pm

aacoach21 wrote:What about moving the state tournament back a week or the regions up a week and only take the top 3 from each region and then the middle weekend have a last chance qualifier and take the top 4 from each class to fill the rest of the brackets eliminates the byes and gets the top wrestlers there reguardless of region

This is the craziest idea I have every heard out of all the ideas on all of the topics...............................................................................................................AND I LOVE IT. The only thing, let the JV enter the last chance qualifier tournament.

wvuptc

Postby wvuptc » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm not sure where your got the information about Saint Marys, however we have 11 weight classes filled and several doubles. The first tournament, we were missing more than half the team due to the Super 6. Actually, this is the most weight classes we have filled in 12-15 years.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:36 pm

wvuptc wrote:I'm not sure where your got the information about Saint Marys, however we have 11 weight classes filled and several doubles. The first tournament, we were missing more than half the team due to the Super 6. Actually, this is the most weight classes we have filled in 12-15 years.

And a great run through an undefeated football season and state title by the Blue Devils!

Good to hear you have so many wrestlers out!
Moderator WV Mat

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:51 pm

wvuptc wrote:I'm not sure where your got the information about Saint Marys, however we have 11 weight classes filled and several doubles. The first tournament, we were missing more than half the team due to the Super 6. Actually, this is the most weight classes we have filled in 12-15 years.

It was either a typo or I simply had a brain fart. I looked at http://www.wvmat.com/scores/17scores/1222lism.htm and came up with 4 open classes for St.M

Sally

Postby Sally » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:34 pm

You're spot on Brent! I bet the WVSSAC is prepared for everything in wrestling since they're so knowledgeable :lol:

I say recognize the single A poll. Why not? AAA has 29 schools and we are ranking the top 10 individuals per class. Those are low numbers.

I also agree with a state tournament with all divisions competing against each other and recognizing AAA, AA, and A Team champions. I know many of you do not like the idea but its my opinion. There are some AA teams who are proving they can grind with the best.

Maybe I am becoming delusional but I am starting to support JV wrestlers being thrown in the qualifier (bearhugger). This might keep kids from transferring and allow them to work their way into the lineup someday.

aaacoach89

Postby aaacoach89 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:09 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
aacoach21 wrote:What about moving the state tournament back a week or the regions up a week and only take the top 3 from each region and then the middle weekend have a last chance qualifier and take the top 4 from each class to fill the rest of the brackets eliminates the byes and gets the top wrestlers there reguardless of region

This is the craziest idea I have every heard out of all the ideas on all of the topics...............................................................................................................AND I LOVE IT. The only thing, let the JV enter the last chance qualifier tournament.

I like this idea!!! It's doable and fills up the empty spots.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:52 pm

Sally wrote:You're spot on Brent! I bet the WVSSAC is prepared for everything in wrestling since they're so knowledgeable :lol:

I say recognize the single A poll. Why not? AAA has 29 schools and we are ranking the top 10 individuals per class. Those are low numbers.

I also agree with a state tournament with all divisions competing against each other and recognizing AAA, AA, and A Team champions. I know many of you do not like the idea but its my opinion. There are some AA teams who are proving they can grind with the best.

Maybe I am becoming delusional but I am starting to support JV wrestlers being thrown in the qualifier (bearhugger). This might keep kids from transferring and allow them to work their way into the lineup someday.

To be the man, you have to beat the man. If the JV man thinks he is the man, then put the JV man into the regional tournament. Blow the whistle in every regional tournament and let all MEN determine who is man enough to go to Huntington. Once we have 16 men in Huntington(not 15 or 14), then "the man" will be standing Saturday night.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”