Curious

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
KDunbar

Curious

Postby KDunbar » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:54 pm

I have a question for Brent Sams or anyone who actually knows the answer and isn't just guessing. I noticed that PHS had two wrestlers that they used at 195 throughout the day and forfeited at 220 in every match but against their matchup with Mountain View, where they moved one of the 195 wrestlers up to 220. I don't know what specific wrestler took the mat at 220 against South (nor is the name important) but I did not understand why he wrestled the first period, then forfeited, but actually continued ( eventually getting pinned).I am assuming that the 220 match was completed as an exhibition match for the benefit of the two wrestlers. The only thing I could come up with was that the wrestler in question had weighed in at 170 and therefore was ineligible at 220. However, as we know there was some gamesmanship going on prior to the 195 bout as to which team had to declare their wrestler at the scorers table first. Still I do not understand the strategy of PHS for wanting South to declare first if one of their 195's was ineligible at 220. I'm sure they didn't make a mistake and put the wrong wrestler in at the wrong weight class and had to forfeit 220. The other question is whether the wrestler that was selected by them for 195 was also even eligible for the 220 class. As i said, I don't know the wrestlers names in question with absolute certainty. But it would appear that this same wrestler who was ineligible at 220 completed at that weight class against Mountain View earlier in the day. If so what's the penalty for using an inelgible wrestler in a match? Do they have to forfeit the match which would make it a 3 way tie for first place unless there is some specific tie breaker to use in this situation. As I said I was curious as to what exactly ooccurred in this situation.
Thanks

TrueSouthFanInPburg

Re: Curious

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:12 pm

cj wade is the normal 195. colin kidd is also at 195 but competed at 220. i heard he did not weigh in to compete at 220 so he had to forfeit the match but after the forfeit they went ahead and let him finish the match as exhibitrion. irazzary missed the last practice before the duals so they did'nt let him wrestle. the match between him and acerman would been close and we would of had a good chance of winning the duels.

aaacoach11

Postby aaacoach11 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:28 pm

Would've needed to weigh 184.1 to wrestle 220lb and 172.1 to wrestle 195. If the tournament allowed an extra pound due to weather then 185.1 to wrestle 220lb and 173.1 to wrestle 195lb.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:22 pm

Thanks for the information. As I said in another post where I opened my mouth before I should have, I apologize and have deleted the comments I shouldn't have made. I thought the dual match was really interesting between the 2 schools. Everyone wrestled hard even when they were losing to do their best to give up as few team points as possible. Garrett tried his best but Donavon showed him you don't mess with the heavyweights.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:19 am

Such stuff will probably be of no consequence on 1-24-17...

aaacoach17

Postby aaacoach17 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:15 pm

Our other 182lber at the WV duals has weighed in at 195 in the past so that we didn't have to forfeit 220 if the particular situation arises. For this weekend he weighed in at 182. During the south match I sent him out at 220 forgetting that he weighed in at 182. One of my asst coaches brought the mistake to my attention ( as South was figuring out the same problem) during the first period, I went to the head table and defaulted the wrestler. They agreed to finish the match as an exhibition. I made a mistake, not a plan of deception.

Chris Way
Parkersburg High School

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:21 pm

Thanks for clearing everything up. All that makes perfect sense and is understandable. Shouldn't have doubted your integrity. My apologies and will see you on Friday.

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:26 pm

I always wondered about but was never confronted with the situation ... If a wrestler meets the minimum for a weight class under normal conditions but an additional pound is given due to weather, another team who wrestled the day before, etc. and he misses the minimum with the additional pounds is he allowed to wrestle up at the weight he would have made without the additional pounds? I know to establish his base weight and wrestle in a class, he must make the original weight not the weight plus the additional pounds - example ... in middle school if a kid wants to wrestle 84 lbs. during the season he must make 84 prior to the 2 lbs. allowance at Christmas or at least that was my understanding but how about if he meets the MINIMUM for 84 but then an additional pound is given and he does not meet the adjusted minimum is he eligible to wrestle that class? I never actually ran into it but it was discussed a lot when 6th graders first became eligible and some were so small they barely met the minimum for 78 lbs.
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

aaacoach11

Postby aaacoach11 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:29 pm

You must make base weight one time regardless of whether or not that tournament is giving an extra pound although in middle school this rule is rarely ever challenged. In high school you must have all your weigh in sheets at the regional seeding meeting so you can prove as to where your wrestler made base weight. Opposing coaches can ask to see it. Also, half your weigh ins must have been from your individual alpha date based of your body composition analysis done at the beginning of the season. Hope this helps with clarity.

Return to “High School Wrestling”