Bluefield

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Bluefield

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:08 pm

I see that Bluefield's Trigg won the 138 pound weight class at the Nitro tournament.

How many wrestlers does Bluefield have? What weights are filled?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

sfc1

Re: Bluefield

Postby sfc1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:36 pm

That young man is impressive. Strong quick and aggressive. Could be a sleeper in Huntington.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:01 pm

sfc1 wrote:That young man is impressive. Strong quick and aggressive. Could be a sleeper in Huntington.

Does he have any teammates?

sfc1

Postby sfc1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:11 pm

Maybe a couple but not many. I talked briefly to his dad and I think he said they only had a few but I'm not sure.

aaacoach6

Postby aaacoach6 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:50 pm

I believe they have 5 or 6.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:19 pm

sfc1 wrote:That young man is impressive. Strong quick and aggressive. Could be a sleeper in Huntington.

Bluefield needs somebody to put them on the wrestling map. This gentleman might be the one.

Bunk

Postby Bunk » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:24 pm

Trigg is one heck of an athlete, certainly, and he will definitely shake things up in Huntington, but if Bluefield wants to be on the wrestling map they will need the help of feeder programs which are literally nonexistent in Mercer county.
Also, let's not forget a Bluefield team from 4 years ago that placed multiple wrestlers at the state tournament and saw Brandon Eldridge winning a state title under Coach Rooney. All with no middle school or youth program to help!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:07 am

Bunk wrote:Trigg is one heck of an athlete, certainly, and he will definitely shake things up in Huntington, but if Bluefield wants to be on the wrestling map they will need the help of feeder programs which are literally nonexistent in Mercer county.
Also, let's not forget a Bluefield team from 4 years ago that placed multiple wrestlers at the state tournament and saw Brandon Eldridge winning a state title under Coach Rooney. All with no middle school or youth program to help!

We need to get the notes from that coach and see what he did in practice each day.

aacoach21

Postby aacoach21 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:19 am

Hey bearhugger question is the Dix Manning award for coach of the year or the high school state camp coach

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:26 am

aacoach21 wrote:Hey bearhugger question is the Dix Manning award for coach of the year or the high school state camp coach

I believe it is for the AA/A coach of the year. This is an aspect of wrestling that I pay little attention to.

aacoach21

Postby aacoach21 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:39 am

Bearhugger wrote:
aacoach21 wrote:Hey bearhugger question is the Dix Manning award for coach of the year or the high school state camp coach

I believe it is for the AA/A coach of the year. This is an aspect of wrestling that I pay little attention to.

That's what I thought not knocking the state camp coach but at the same time just like in the instance you was talking about coach Cooney he looked like just as much a canadet for the manning award or like myself not that I wanted it but in 2010 I took 6 kids to regionals had three region champs and two 3rd placers I think and a 5th went to states with 5 placed 4 of those 5 and the fifth lost in over time to place and we finished 10th in the state so was just curious as to weather it is automatically the state champ coach award and does and has it always gone that way not that the state champ coach isn't deserving but when you have a full team but if you look at over all percentage

Bunk

Postby Bunk » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:41 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
Bunk wrote:Trigg is one heck of an athlete, certainly, and he will definitely shake things up in Huntington, but if Bluefield wants to be on the wrestling map they will need the help of feeder programs which are literally nonexistent in Mercer county.

We need to get the notes from that coach and see what he did in practice each day.

Rooney was a phenomenal coach and networked with a lot of the Southern WV guys getting them to Bluefield and getting his wrestlers involved with several all-state/state champ wrestlers in the offseason. I believe that was a major key. He also did a great job getting numbers out, encouraging guys to go to offseason tournaments, etc. Unfortunately he moved back home to New Jersey a few years ago, but as it stands there's not much of a program to work with and there have been a few coaches coming in and out of the program, trying to get guys out and make practice around their work schedules. Bringing up Mercer county wrestling will be no easy task, but the athletes are there if some seasoned coaches get in the program and establish a pipeline to the high schools there are great prospects.

Return to “High School Wrestling”