Independence - 30 Days Out

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Independence - 30 Days Out

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:45 pm

Great job to all of the wrestlers, coaches and parents of Independence on their recent line up changes. A couple of wrestlers cut down a weight class that then opened the doors for a couple of JV wrestlers to step into the line up. The new line up was implemented at the WSAZ.

I have attended all of their matches this season except for the Virginia Duels. In my opinion, this is their best line up to date.

Putting opinions aside and focusing on facts:

1. Indy won the overall team championship at the WSAZ.
2. They scored over 100 points more than the next best AA team.
3. For the first time this season, Indy has 100% of their team ranked in the top ten.

With the season two thirds over and the state tournament approximately 30 days away, here is where Indy stands in terms of individual rankings and the corresponding regional competition:

106: No entry.

113: Indy is ranked #1. Regional Competition is ranked: #7 and #9.

120: Indy is ranked #8. Regional Competition is ranked: #3.

126: Indy is ranked #1. Regional Competition is ranked: None are ranked.

132: Indy is ranked #2. Regional Competition is ranked: #8.

138: Indy is ranked #3. Regional Competition is ranked: #10

145: Indy is ranked #1. Regional Competition is ranked: None are ranked.

152: Indy is ranked #3. Regional Competition is ranked: #7 and #9.

160: Indy is ranked #10. Regional Competition is ranked: #5 and #6.

170: Indy is ranked #2. Regional Competition is ranked: #9.

182: Indy is ranked #1. Regional Competition is ranked: #3 and #8.

195: Indy is ranked #7. Regional Competition is ranked: #8

220: Indy is ranked #1. Regional Competition is ranked: #4, #8, #9 and #10.

285: Indy is ranked #5. Regional Competition is ranked: #1

*****We got to do something to get these top tiered JV wrestlers throughout the state..........on the regional mats.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

jsams

Re: Independence - 30 Days Out

Postby jsams » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:04 pm

Noone ever cared about all this jv stuff when South has had many jv wrestlers that could have placed throughout the years.

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:09 pm

jsams wrote:Noone ever cared about all this jv stuff when South has had many jv wrestlers that could have placed throughout the years.

jsam=Eyore

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:13 pm

jsams wrote:Noone ever cared about all this jv stuff when South has had many jv wrestlers that could have placed throughout the years.

I clearly recall when South's Ball/113 left the team and Cline stepped in at 113. Cline placed 4th in the state that season. The following year, Ball was back. Both he and Cline were at 113. I believe Ball placed third in the state while Cline was JV. I am sure some of the South fans can add the years to this commentary.

These specific two kids are what going the JV idea going in my head. With the recent increase in JV participation in Varsity tournaments, the success of JV wrestlers beating other ranked wrestlers and the increased "holes/forfeits" in lineups, the JV situation is becoming more and more apparent. There is no need to ignore what is happening.

Failure for action in the past is no reason not to take corrective actions and make improvements for the future.

Sinlgelegfather

Postby Sinlgelegfather » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:42 pm

The sport of Wrestling is far bigger than South. This thread isn't about Siuth and their problems. It is about the sport in West Virginia as a whole. Take the south stuff somewhere else.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:44 pm

Sinlgelegfather wrote:The sport of Wrestling is far bigger than South. This thread isn't about Siuth and their problems. It is about the sport in West Virginia as a whole. Take the south stuff somewhere else.

My comment about "South" clearly illustrates the importance of getting JV wrestlers into championship matches. We should want the best in the competition.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:46 pm

Somebody from "South" should have spoke up. I am speaking up for all JV, including South.

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:51 pm

Frank wrote:

jsam=Eyore

frank=tool

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:00 pm

MaleMatMaid wrote:
Frank wrote:

jsam=Eyore

frank=tool

True dat

jsams

Postby jsams » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:02 pm

Like it or not the sport of wrestling in Wv coincides with Parkersburg schools. I mentioned South and jv because at one time they almost had 3 full teams and consistently have had jv wrestlers that could qualify regionals and most likely placed in states. Im sure people outside of Parkersburg would have been linedup for a rule change to see that happen.

Jbee

Postby Jbee » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:11 pm

This will only increase participation for the top teams. If you think this will increase participation for all you are mistaken.
If this was implemented you will see a weight class where the podium is taken up by 3 schools and maybe even 2 once in a while.

The divide between the rich and not so rich will increase.

South(the word you cant speak on here) gets 30 to 40 out every year. if this is implemented they will put 50 in the room.
South(there's that word again) has kids walking the hallways that would knock kids off the podiums and Im sure Huntington(this word is ok), Indy(and this word is ok) and also Parkersburg(i think this word is ok, now) does also.

You will get increased participation it may just not be what you are hoping for.

Get it implemented and watch the crying begin.

you've changed my mind, cant wait.
Lifes tough....Wear a Helmet!

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:13 pm

Bearhugger wrote:

Somebody from "South" should have spoke up. I am speaking up for all JV, including South.

They did, especially in the late 2000s whenever South's JV team was beating PHS' varsity team :lol:

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:23 pm

Jbee wrote:This will only increase participation for the top teams. If you think this will increase participation for all you are mistaken.
If this was implemented you will see a weight class where the podium is taken up by 3 schools and maybe even 2 once in a while.

The divide between the rich and not so rich will increase.

South(the word you cant speak on here) gets 30 to 40 out every year. if this is implemented they will put 50 in the room.
South(there's that word again) has kids walking the hallways that would knock kids off the podiums and Im sure Huntington(this word is ok), Indy(and this word is ok) and also Parkersburg(i think this word is ok, now) does also.

You will get increased participation it may just not be what you are hoping for.

Get it implemented and watch the crying begin.

you've changed my mind, cant wait.

The schools you have mentioned have already done many good things to allow them to be part of the few contenders for any kind of "team" championship. By your own words, these same schools have kids who are walking the halls instead of wrestling because they cannot make Varsity. This says these schools are killing themselves within. Thus, killing participation. This is probably why the days of having teams with rosters three deep are over. I went to watch South vs Ripley, St. Albans and Brooke. South was forfeiting weights that night and the gym was not as full as I expected. I WAS SHOCKED BY BOTH. But it is a sign of the times.

We have schools now that have people (coaches, parents, principals, admin, etc) that cannot even post their schedule for all to see. They choose not to post their scores. Holding back forward progress to help these schools will kill the sport even more. There comes a time where every individual involved in anything....................has to pitch in and contribute.

Sally

Postby Sally » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:26 pm

We already have kids who transfer schools, legal or illegal. Over the years some of the best teams in the state had lineups with kids from out of zone. I do not think allowing JV kids will further tip the scales toward the powerhouse teams. I have been wrong many times and this might be another.

Would we rather see a BYE in the bracket at States or a JV kid who might place?

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:00 pm

I agree with Jbee but would love to see a jv championship.
It might not mean nothing but it would be more mat time
and that is what coaches want for there jv wrestlers.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:42 pm

I agree that JVs should get a shot to wrestle in regionals and states, You want the best for the sport and student athlete. I know there are some wrestlers walking the halls that can place in the state too. I have watched several kids from pee see to middle school battle it out. Let's come up with a solution for this and submit WVSSAC.

Jbee

Postby Jbee » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:03 pm

Sally wrote:We already have kids who transfer schools, legal or illegal. Over the years some of the best teams in the state had lineups with kids from out of zone. I do not think allowing JV kids will further tip the scales toward the powerhouse teams. I have been wrong many times and this might be another.

Would we rather see a BYE in the bracket at States or a JV kid who might place?

Sally, the 800 lb gorrilla in the corner you can not speak of on here. that would be talking about the "boy king" and thats not allowed.

Allowing JV would not guarantee a class is a full 16. the classification and regional alignment needs redone.

Hey I'm all for it. hugger has changed my mind.

Cant wait...................can you hear it. It's in the distance but faint................I can hear it already.
Lifes tough....Wear a Helmet!

Sally

Postby Sally » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:08 pm

Frank,
Thanks for keeping things fun, as usual.

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:42 pm

Sally wrote:Frank,
Thanks for keeping things fun, as usual.

Back in the day I the ladies called me Stanley
Lol

Return to “High School Wrestling”