East Fairmont - 30 Days Out

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

East Fairmont - 30 Days Out

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:21 pm

106: East Fairmont (EF) is ranked #2. Regional Competition is ranked: #3

113: EF is ranked #2. Regional Competition is ranked: #6

120: EF is ranked #2. Regional Competition is ranked: #1, #6, #7

126: EF is ranked #2. Regional Competition is ranked: #4, #6, #7, #8, #9.

132: EF is ranked #7. Regional Competition is ranked: #1, #3, #4, #9,

138: EF is ranked #2. Regional Competition is ranked: #1, #4, #5, #9

145: EF is ranked #10. Regional Competition is ranked: #3, #7, #8, #9

152: EF is ranked #10. Regional Competition is ranked: #1, #4, #6,

160: EF is ranked #7. Regional Competition is ranked: #1, #2, #3, #9

170: EF is ranked #6. Regional Competition is ranked: #3, #4, #7, #8

182: EF is unranked. Regional Competition is ranked: #5, #7, #9, #10

195: EF is unranked. Regional Competition is ranked: #1, #4, #5

220: EF is unranked. Regional Competition is ranked: #2, #6, #7,

285: EF is ranked #6. Regional Competition is ranked: #2, #4, #7, #8, #9

1. If the JV could enter the region, EF would qualify two 106 pounders and both would place in the state tournament. We saw a preview of this at the WSAZ.
2. EF does not have a ranked wrestler at 182, 195 or 220.
3. 126 has six ranked wrestlers. Two will be staying home. We need a wild card system in addition to a realignment of regions.
4. 132, 138, 145, 160, and 170 have five ranked wrestlers in region 1.
5. 285 has six ranked wrestlers.

Next December, I would like to see all AAA Region 4 schools and all AA/A Region 1 schools in a tournament together. However, I hope the regions are corrected before then.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Ol'Dad

Re: East Fairmont - 30 Days Out

Postby Ol'Dad » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:29 pm

The 126s in region I will be fun to watch.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:33 pm

Ol'Dad wrote:The 126s in region I will be fun to watch.

Yes indeed. I read on another forum post where rankings do not mean anything. To me they are an indicator of what the given wrestler has accomplished throughout the season. These accomplishments give us insight as to what the same wrestler will more than likely do as the season ends.

There will be many better wrestlers at 126 staying home while wrestlers with losing records(from other regions) make it to the state tournament.

This weakens the state tournament, which weaken the sport.

Some people do not think this is a problem.

Ol'Dad

Postby Ol'Dad » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:31 am

When do regional alignments take place again? And as I've said before, I believe their should be a JV regional tournament with the champions from each region in each weight class earning a place in the state tournament. This will only lengthen the tournament by a couple of matches in the brackets that are full ( most likely not many ) and will fill spots in some emptier brackets. I myself am not a fan of byes in tournaments nor am I a fan of great wrestlers staying at home.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:43 am

Ol'Dad wrote:When do regional alignments take place again? And as I've said before, I believe their should be a JV regional tournament with the champions from each region in each weight class earning a place in the state tournament. This will only lengthen the tournament by a couple of matches in the brackets that are full ( most likely not many ) and will fill spots in some emptier brackets. I myself am not a fan of byes in tournaments nor am I a fan of great wrestlers staying at home.

Regionals are 3 weekends from now.

There won't be a JV tournament this year. That is something that the WVSSAC would have to approve and sanction. It will be next year before anything like that happens, if it happens.

Ol'Dad

Postby Ol'Dad » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:50 am

I'm sorry, I meant when will the regional alignments for the teams be done. As in how often are the 4 regions reviewed and realigned?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:25 am

Ol'Dad wrote:I'm sorry, I meant when will the regional alignments for the teams be done. As in how often are the 4 regions reviewed and realigned?

If everybody sits back and does nothing, says nothing...............then who knows when they will ever be reviewed again.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:31 am

Ol'Dad wrote:When do regional alignments take place again? And as I've said before, I believe their should be a JV regional tournament with the champions from each region in each weight class earning a place in the state tournament. This will only lengthen the tournament by a couple of matches in the brackets that are full ( most likely not many ) and will fill spots in some emptier brackets. I myself am not a fan of byes in tournaments nor am I a fan of great wrestlers staying at home.

I have been all about the JV having a shot at the regionals and being given the chance to wrestle their way into the state tournament.

The problem with the separate JV tournament is it would require a given school to host it and then wrestlers from all over the entire state would have to travel to compete. It would be very expensive for many teams.

In addition, there could only be 1 to 3 wrestlers show up for a given weight class.

The regular regional tournaments are already set up. The hosting schools will be ready. The participating schools will already be traveling to them. Whereas the mats exist and the rides to the mats exist, then throw the JV in the regionals as they are now. No additional expense or set up time.

Change a rule, let the kids wrestle, get the best to the state tournament.

In addition, fix the whacked out regional alignments and wrestling will be great again.

Return to “High School Wrestling”