Girls Wrestling

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Re: Girls Wrestling

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:35 pm

guard0544 wrote:Since 1994, the number of women who wrestle in high school has grown from 804 to 13,900.

California, Guam, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington sponsor a girl’s state high school championship.

- See more at: http://www.nwcaonline.com/growing-wrest ... RR2D8.dpuf

If it is already being done "in other states", then I guess it is alright for West Virginia to "follow". I have been learning all season long as to how decisions are made.

1. Idea is created or problem is identified.
2. Check what other states do.
3. If no other state does it, then WV cannot and will not be a leader or innovator. Idea is then deemed bad or problem remains (and often grows).
4. If other states already do it, then it is permissible for WV to follow.

Whereas other states have girls' state championships, then we should be good and allowed to move forward.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Jhiestand

Postby Jhiestand » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:01 pm

I believe that if we want to grow the sport in West Virginia, then it needs to include female athletes. However, the argument that there would not be enough participants to warrant a separate division, or league, does have merit. The idea of a separate female only bracket at the state tournament would be a good place to start. I think it would lead to an increase in the number of female athletes willing to compete at the high school level. Good idea all around!

88race

Postby 88race » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:24 pm

My daughter has wrestled boys since she was 4 now she is older. She would love the opportunity to wrestle girls.iIn the state of WV these not any girls wrestling tournament so she has to travel. She has and would love to keep it up. In March the is a tournament in OK city that she would love to go to. But traveling is very costly. So she has started a (go fund me account). Some people might know her SAMANTHA MILLER. So anyone that would love to help her look it up or her up on fb. Anything would help this young lady.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:22 pm

88race wrote:My daughter has wrestled boys since she was 4 now she is older. She would love the opportunity to wrestle girls.iIn the state of WV these not any girls wrestling tournament so she has to travel. She has and would love to keep it up. In March the is a tournament in OK city that she would love to go to. But traveling is very costly. So she has started a (go fund me account). Some people might know her SAMANTHA MILLER. So anyone that would love to help her look it up or her up on fb. Anything would help this young lady.

I dont do Facebook. What is the GoFundMe link?

88race

Postby 88race » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:42 pm

coach_williams wrote:
88race wrote:My daughter has wrestled boys since she was 4 now she is older. She would love the opportunity to wrestle girls.iIn the state of WV these not any girls wrestling tournament so she has to travel. She has and would love to keep it up. In March the is a tournament in OK city that she would love to go to. But traveling is very costly. So she has started a (go fund me account). Some people might know her SAMANTHA MILLER. So anyone that would love to help her look it up or her up on fb. Anything would help this young lady.

Go to GoFundMe.com then type in Parkersburg WV then type in girls wrestling tournament. She a picture of her wearing a blue singlet that's says south. Not sure how to put the link on here.lol

88race

Postby 88race » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:54 pm

88race wrote:
coach_williams wrote:

Go to GoFundMe.com then type in Parkersburg WV then type in girls wrestling tournament. She a picture of her wearing a blue singlet that's says south. Not sure how to put the link on here.lol

Hey, I'm supporting this fundraiser, please have a look - 'Girl Wrestling tournaments' https://dm2.gofund.me/girl-wrestling-tournaments

Jbee

Postby Jbee » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:26 pm

http://www.wrestlelikeagirl.org/

might be of interest to this topic
Lifes tough....Wear a Helmet!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:30 am

As if someone was paying attention, Region II AA/A will feature two female wrestlers facing off at 106 pounds. Abigail Charles from Doddridge and Jessica Holyfield from Robert C Byrd will compete to face Noah Hodges in the quarterfinals.

In addition, if I am looking at the bracket correctly, there is no way that one of these females doesn't go to states. The loser of their match will have a bye all the way up until she faces the loser of bout 281, which will either be the other female wrestler or Hodges. So either Hodges wins and the two girls compete again with the winner advancing into the 3rd/4th place match, or Hodges loses and the female that beat him advances into the championship match.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:46 am

Over in AAA region 3, we have a young lady that has already wrapped up a qualification spot for the state tournament. Wrestling begins Saturday.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:09 am

Congrats to the females that made it to states. I had the pleasure of watching AA/A Region II's Jessica Holyfield from RCB battle her way into states. Anyone who faces her better not take her lightly, because she is no cakewalk. I won't name names to preserve their pride, but I witnessed her put one young man on his back at least 3 times and several people in the stands, including myself felt he was pinned several times although the ref never called it and she had another young man on his back before he rolled through on her.

I wish her and Princeton's Savannah Rose the best of luck at states.

Hard Head

Postby Hard Head » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:54 am

coach_williams wrote:Congrats to the females that made it to states. I had the pleasure of watching AA/A Region II's Jessica Holyfield from RCB battle her way into states. Anyone who faces her better not take her lightly, because she is no cakewalk. I won't name names to preserve their pride, but I witnessed her put one young man on his back at least 3 times and several people in the stands, including myself felt he was pinned several times although the ref never called it and she had another young man on his back before he rolled through on her.

It's a shame you have not only these two women but several other 106's attending states with the the likes of Stockett(JV) sitting home. Everyone wants the best at states and, I'm sorry, this isn't even remotely close. Pretty sad if you ask me.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:31 am

Hard Head wrote:
coach_williams wrote:Congrats to the females that made it to states. I had the pleasure of watching AA/A Region II's Jessica Holyfield from RCB battle her way into states. Anyone who faces her better not take her lightly, because she is no cakewalk. I won't name names to preserve their pride, but I witnessed her put one young man on his back at least 3 times and several people in the stands, including myself felt he was pinned several times although the ref never called it and she had another young man on his back before he rolled through on her.

It's a shame you have not only these two women but several other 106's attending states with the the likes of Stockett(JV) sitting home. Everyone wants the best at states and, I'm sorry, this isn't even remotely close. Pretty sad if you ask me.

So...it is your opinion that these two ladies did not earn the right to be there?

Wrestlingfan13

Postby Wrestlingfan13 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:44 am

I don't know about the other girl but I watched region 2 as it is close to me, that Holyfield girl earned her way in. She had to wrestle the number one boy in the state then had to wrestle again to go to state and beat that boy by a large score can't remember exactly as I was watching another match happening but I know almost everyone there was cheering her on. For someone to say she didn't earn her spot and she's not deserving is ridiculous. Congrats young lady no matter what people on here say you earned and deserve to be going to states

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:20 am

Wrestlingfan13 wrote:I don't know about the other girl but I watched region 2 as it is close to me, that Holyfield girl earned her way in. She had to wrestle the number one boy in the state then had to wrestle again to go to state and beat that boy by a large score can't remember exactly as I was watching another match happening but I know almost everyone there was cheering her on. For someone to say she didn't earn her spot and she's not deserving is ridiculous. Congrats young lady no matter what people on here say you earned and deserve to be going to states

You and I watched the same matches. She scored 19 points on that one kid because she kept putting him on his back. She lost the 3rd place match to our 106, but if anyone was watching that match they know that at one point she had him on his back too. Do not underestimate this young woman. She is definitely deserving.

Wrestlingfan13

Postby Wrestlingfan13 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:27 am

Wish hard head would have seen those matches maybe that post would have said congratulations instead of her not being deserving

Return to “High School Wrestling”