Region 1 AAA since 1976

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
soupbone

Region 1 AAA since 1976

Postby soupbone » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:55 pm

Having read many posts about the strength of Region 1, just for fun, I went back to 1976 when the regions were started and saw that in the past 40 years, 37 team champions came from the now old Region. There were only 3 teams since then to win the state that were not from Region 1. Huntington 2 times and North Marion once. Parkersburg South has 18 , Parkersburg has 11, Wheeling Park has 6, Brooke, John Marshall and Weirton each had 1. I think that it is safe to say that the dominance from this region has been because of both the Parkersburg teams. It was very difficult for any of the others mentioned to win the title because they mostly did not qualify as many as other teams in other regions. Now that Region 1 has shifted to Region 4, it will be more difficult for teams such as Huntington, Cabel-Midland, and Ripley to qualify as many as they perhaps did in the past. It certainly eased the pressure from Region 1. The northern schools did it for 40 years now it is someone else fighting for qualifying wrestlers. I do not envy them!

RWWS

Re: Region 1 AAA since 1976

Postby RWWS » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:08 pm

You killed it.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:15 pm

SOUPBOUNE, always said you were a wise man! As a member of the Brooke team the won the championship. I will always remember what Coach said at a boosters meeting when the parents thought the Region 1 was unfair. Remember it like yesterday, When asked his reply was, " The cream will rise to the top and if it doesn't then your kid was not the cream. Get over it, that is life and that is what the sport teaches." Could have heard a pin drop. From that moment on everyone knew where he stood. COULD YOU IMAGINE IF A COACH SAID THAT TO A PARNET NOW...... :D

JennyHannan

Postby JennyHannan » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:19 pm

Ah, the wisdom of the legendary Merle Tournay!!!

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:22 pm

What impressed me about looking at the data was how many times PS and PH were 1 and 2 and then how many times another region 1 team was 3rd. With Region 1 able to get more kids to the state tournament, in the future you might see more team champions from region 1. Could happen.

Return to “High School Wrestling”