Separation of single A and AA

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
wirtyouthcoach

Separation of single A and AA

Postby wirtyouthcoach » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:55 pm

This is just my thoughts but seems a bit unfair to "A" kids to be combined with AA. In order for A kids to get a state championship they have to be better than 60 something other schools. In AAA the kid only has to be better than 20 something schools. I feel that either they all 3 need to be separated and a A, AA, and AAA state champ should be awarded individually. Or that they all 3 should be combined and a true state champ be awarded. I see all the talk about AAA this and AAA that. But truth be know there is some AAA kids that wouldn't get a state championship if they was all 3 combined.just like the single A kids will not get one because they are presently combined with AA. In fairness to the kids this really should be resolved. One way or the other. Ok now you guys can start bashing me for my post. Lol

grapple158

Re: Separation of single A and AA

Postby grapple158 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:57 pm

Agreed. It would be great for the sport!

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:06 pm

I see your point, on AA and A wrestlers. I say combine the classes possibly for individual state champs and have duals for team state championships (probably have to separate the classes for this) but not sure if some of the A and AA have enough for full teams either.

wirtyouthcoach

Postby wirtyouthcoach » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:22 pm

I disagree. Not all "AAA" schools fill every weight class. That is why there is 8,16,32, man brackets. They should just make it fair to each. It is still the same number of kids. They combine "A" and "AA" a long time ago because of the number of "A" schools. But look how many there is now. Look how many "AAA" dropped to double last year and none went to "AAA" . times change and schools change they need to change along side of them.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:31 pm

I see your point, should be looked at, probably take a core of coaches to talk to committee at SSAC to explain that.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:36 pm

That is a novel idea, but if you think people are fussing over empty brackets at regionals and states now, just wait until they see the nearly empty brackets for single A.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:37 pm

We all need to wear wrestling singlets and headgears and hold a protest/march until a change is made. The sight of some of us in a singlet may be whats needed to get the wvssac to cave and do it.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:59 pm

guard0544 wrote:We all need to wear wrestling singlets and headgears and hold a protest/march until a change is made. The sight of some of us in a singlet may be whats needed to get the wvssac to cave and do it.

Can we do a sit-in instead? I feel that a march in this weather in singlets is going to be bad for all of us :mrgreen:

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:14 pm

That would water down an already watered down system. I'd rather take 32 in an all class tournament. That's the same number of kids, as well. Also, it strengthens the champions reputation as the best in all the land.
Tench

wirtyouthcoach

Postby wirtyouthcoach » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:34 pm

Actually it could raise the number a bit cause how many "A" kids don't make it past regionals. Cause of being knocked out by "AA" . Some regions has kids that get knocked out but could (if wrestled) beat kids in other regions. If they allowed jv to wrestle and decided to split it up into 3 classes they numbers would be higher and it would be fair across the board. Or combine all 3 classes and just have a true state champ for each weight class. I'm talk about being fair to the kids and promoting the sport to make it grow. It very well could improve the "A" Schools numbers. I've seen kids in wrestling and other sports transfer schools because of the better chance at obtaining a state championship.

Repoman1304

Postby Repoman1304 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:47 pm

Let's be honest about this A, AA, AAA in my opinion when it concerns wrestling should not matter we should combine all three. I know AAA doesn't fill all their classes and there are some AA schools that are just outstanding, it all comes down to the individual kid and the work they're willing to put in to be the best. If a kid from A school works as hard or harder than AAA kid he will beat him almost 100% of the time. Wrestling is unique in that way, that's why I love it! wrestling rewards the individual athlete based on their willingness to put in the work! If you want to beat a kid work harder study the sport prepare mentally A, AA, AAA doesn't matter. One champ, one state that would be wicked! Just my opinion.

wirtyouthcoach

Postby wirtyouthcoach » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:54 pm

If you read above that was one of my suggestions. I just want a fair chance across all 3. I agree there is kids in all 3 divisions that can do it and that would be more fair. Doesn't matter one way or the other it needs to change. I personally called. Wvssac and suggested this. He likes the idea of combining all three. But I'm sure that the influence of some will stop it. Problem is everyone is afraid of change. And in order to grow and become better there needs to be change.

J.W.

Postby J.W. » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:08 pm

The one state, one champion is great for the top 5% wrestlers and even more exciting for the fans. Agreed, it would help with college coaches, state tournament would be more competitive, all true statements, but those of you advocating for it are fooling yourselves to meet your own desires if you really think kids would not walk away from the sport.

Bear hugger started the year pounding the keyboard on where is this state qualifier. Why did this kid quit. What happened to Billy Bob? They walked away. The stress of achieving the goal they once had seemed unreachable and the grind to outcome was not worth it to them. Do I think they should quit....NO, but they do.

Current situation gives 12 kids a chance to place. Separated a kid ranked 6th thru 10th in their respective division really feel good about a chance to make the podium. A few others really feel strongly about a chance to qualify and you can keep them motivated by lessons learned that anything can happen in Huntington.

Combined, only 8 placers, some kids are smart and can read between the lines and know that their chances just got minimized. These are the wrestlers that end up walking away, the better than average, but not quite at the level. You will lose them.

Instead of thinking you know that a kid will stick it out when you minimized his chances of reaching the goals that he is working for, ask them. Some will be very honest. I have spent the last couple of weeks asking g the guys around the state who are ranked 5th, 6th, 7th in their weight class why they wrestle....To place at state, to win states. Follow that up with if we combined and you were the 13th, 14th, or 15th kid in your weight class how would you feel. Some will tell you, it would not be worth it if they knew they could not place. These are facts from the kids.

Don't ask the kids that are in the elite, don't ask the new wrestlers, they believe they can learn and get there. Ask the kid that has invested so much of his time and life but is on the bubble.

Just something to chew on as you advocate for something that will make for a very entertaining tournament but with less wrestlers state wide.

baxter841

Postby baxter841 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:25 pm

Very good points JW I agree!!!

wirtyouthcoach

Postby wirtyouthcoach » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:31 pm

My boy has wrestled 14 years. All your guys ideas are great. I see your points and understand your goals. In logic they are just beliefs and ideas. With out trying something I "think" the sport will continue to shrink. My initial statement stands. It's about equality and growth. Kids will stick and try to excel when there is a chance at getting on the podium. But to many are afraid to try something new. What works for other states won't always work for us. To many variables like number of kids, population, number of schools, economy and we'll so much more. There is enough intelligent people in the wrestling community that I believe we can come up with a better way.

South83

Postby South83 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:37 pm

Not that it really matters to me, but for the sake of suggestions regarding the A, AA, AAA classifications, here is my two cents. Maryland has 4 classifications. However, for a sport like lacrosse, they only use three classifications. They have a 1A/2A classification, a 2A/3A classification, and a 3A/4A classification. Not all of the schools in Maryland have lacrosse so they modified the classifications. You could, of course it would really break tradition, have a 1A/2A championship which combines the 1A schools with the smaller 2A schools. You could have a 2A/3A championship that would combine the larger 2A schools with the 3A schools. That would really balance out the regions and the state tournament. Just my thoughts.

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:39 pm

J.W. wrote:The one state, one champion is great for the top 5% wrestlers and even more exciting for the fans. Agreed, it would help with college coaches, state tournament would be more competitive, all true statements, but those of you advocating for it are fooling yourselves to meet your own desires if you really think kids would not walk away from the sport.

Bear hugger started the year pounding the keyboard on where is this state qualifier. Why did this kid quit. What happened to Billy Bob? They walked away. The stress of achieving the goal they once had seemed unreachable and the grind to outcome was not worth it to them. Do I think they should quit....NO, but they do.

Current situation gives 12 kids a chance to place. Separated a kid ranked 6th thru 10th in their respective division really feel good about a chance to make the podium. A few others really feel strongly about a chance to qualify and you can keep them motivated by lessons learned that anything can happen in Huntington.

Combined, only 8 placers, some kids are smart and can read between the lines and know that their chances just got minimized. These are the wrestlers that end up walking away, the better than average, but not quite at the level. You will lose them.

Instead of thinking you know that a kid will stick it out when you minimized his chances of reaching the goals that he is working for, ask them. Some will be very honest. I have spent the last couple of weeks asking g the guys around the state who are ranked 5th, 6th, 7th in their weight class why they wrestle....To place at state, to win states. Follow that up with if we combined and you were the 13th, 14th, or 15th kid in your weight class how would you feel. Some will tell you, it would not be worth it if they knew they could not place. These are facts from the kids.

Don't ask the kids that are in the elite, don't ask the new wrestlers, they believe they can learn and get there. Ask the kid that has invested so much of his time and life but is on the bubble.

Just something to chew on as you advocate for something that will make for a very entertaining tournament but with less wrestlers state wide.

All kinds of kids compete now who don't have a chance to place. Who do you think those kids getting stuck and tech'd in the first 2 rounds and consi's of states are? Same thing happens at regionals.
They don't quit now, because they are trying to get better and perform better next year.
Every kid who wrestles experiences defeat, and is even flat out mauled at times. That's wrestling.
They all know it. Anyone who has ever wrestled knows it.
It's silly to pretend that a wrestler will suddenly quit, who otherwise would not have, just because the state tourney became all class. :lol:
If you think that, then you misunderstand the values and lessons that many love this sport for instilling. Hard work, dedication, sportsmanship, respect, and PERSEVERANCE.
sentenceseller

Return to “High School Wrestling”