Honest

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
mattman

Honest

Postby mattman » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:35 pm

I want some honest insight on what you guys think about our states best wrestlers being satisfied with winning a match against a mediocre opponent by a point or two? I'm not gonna throw any names out there because certain team followers would have a stroke and I'm the bad guy. I get tired of seeing our states best wrestlers win like this. It's not because they can't open up an get the major, it's because it's easier to win this way. I could name several and the majority of the wrestlers in all of our pound for pound best wrestlers do this. Is it that they are coached this way or are they ok mentally in winning this way? The 4-5 that come to mind live by this style of wrestling and it's sad to say but the college scouts and coaches see this. If you have the ability to open up and dominate?! Do it! Especially in a dual meet when your coaches and teammates need it most.

coach_williams

Re: Honest

Postby coach_williams » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:18 pm

I have seen what you are talking about. I can't speak for others, but I do not promote this idea. I think a big part of it is the wrestlers are more focused on protecting the decision win rather than risk it for a major decision or tech fall win. Part of this stems from a lack of self-confidence and belief in their own abilities. They don't wrestle to win, they wrestle to not lose.

mattman

Postby mattman » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:51 am

coach_williams wrote:I have seen what you are talking about. I can't speak for others, but I do not promote this idea. I think a big part of it is the wrestlers are more focused on protecting the decision win rather than risk it for a major decision or tech fall win. Part of this stems from a lack of self-confidence and belief in their own abilities. They don't wrestle to win, they wrestle to not lose.

You nailed it coach. A good coach and close friend of mine said we do not win matches by 7 points. In other words were getting the major or going out swinging and winning by 6. Personally, I believe if your on the attack you have less of a chance of getting stuck. I'll tell you one thing about Joey Miller. People (more than likely a kid) came on here and really made an as$ out of themselves by basically downgrading every 113 in the tri-state area and made some big promises and nicknames and all of that but the kid is definitely an animal and has my respect 110%. Point being.. He could have sat on that lead against Lusher but the competitive nature came out, he kept pushing at a pace that was very intense, made a mistake, and lost a match against a very tough opponent. I loved that he kept pushing and trying to score. That really showed me who he is on the inside. Miller will be a great champion and very remembered when the history books on our states wrestling is stamped. I could name several who would have worked the edge of the mat, got on top and "looked" busy and caught a stalemate or two. I love his pace of wrestling and he is always looking to score points!

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:15 am

This is something I witnessed personally. I was at Flo Nationals and over heard some college coaches talking about a prospective recruit. The conversation went something like this. He(the wrestler) does some good stuff on the mat but he doesn't score a lot of points. Other coach, yeah I was hoping for more, I wish he would just open up. In any case, I want a kid that is going to earn bonus points and is going to fight to get them. The wrestler they were watching did not get recruited. Long story short, if you are planning on wrestling in college, you need to score points and keep scoring points. That is what those coaches are looking for. They don't want to watch a 1-0 match.

Blast_Double

Postby Blast_Double » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:12 am

I agree 100% Mattman! If you watch these kids that wrestle this way, when they do get in a close match or find themselves down, it is hard for them to find that extra gear. Every kid out there should watch Thomas Gilman from Iowa or Zane Retherford from Penn State. These two are the best P4P wrestlers in college in my opinion. Both of them leave the mat mad/disappointed if they do not pin or tech their opponent. Mattman I believe we both know a certain 11 year old stud that wrestles with a wide open style.....your boy is going to be special!!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:26 am

I have always told my kid and the kids I coach that I would rather they lose trying to win than lose trying to not lose.

Just this past weekend one of our guys surprised me a bit. He came off of the mat after a win and had a "less than joyous" look on his face. When I asked why he was upset he said "I should have pinned that kid". Why was he unhappy? Because he only won 14-1. I respect that.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:41 pm

There is a fine line between wrestling wide open and under control and wrestling wide open and stupid. At some point you meet someone with equal abilities. Many factors go into winning a match such as this. Remember Rulon Gardner and Alex Karelian? 1-0 in overtime. Granted along the way they had to wrestle wide open. Especially if you know an opponent, a well practiced plan is a winning alternative. Winning those close, low scoring matches does not bother me. Missed opportunities do bother me. A good wrestler and a coach will recognize them.

Return to “High School Wrestling”