AAA 120 Travesty of Competition

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
coach_williams

Re: AAA 120 Travesty of Competition

Postby coach_williams » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:05 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
coach_williams wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
Coach Williams, you need to read all of the words in order to understand the message. I clearly said what two teams are going to win the titles. I hope all of the wrestlers reading are not delusional, but focused. If they are, then they will accomplish their individual goals, thus helping their team. If focused, they also know who is going to win the team titles.

I read everything quite clearly.

Calling an 11th place finish instead of a 12th place finish a "moral victory" is an undercutting of the goal of wrestling. Yes, the goal is to win first place, but the very foundation of wrestling is to strive to be better than you were before. Going from 12th to 11th is not a moral victory, it is evidence that the wrestlers and coaching staff are working together to improve their team.

It is easy to be #1 when you have the unequivocal support of the community, an administration that let's you travel thousands of miles every year, and an AD that looks the other way when you hold practice out of season or recruit from other schools. Not so much when you have a community that thinks their kids are the next Tom Brady and Michael Jordan and wrestling is too dangerous for their kids, an administration that is worried more about the bus costing $200 than anything else, and an AD that is a "football guy" so he makes you clear out the wrestling room the day after states and watches you like a hawk for you or your wrestlers to cast a shadow on the doorstep before November.

It is nice to think that the playing field is even for everyone. It is naïve to believe it. For some programs an improvement of one or two spots at states IS their victory and it is a damn good one if that is all that they can do with what they have to work with.

Having a flawed system that permits byes at the state tournament while other wrestlers sit at home destroys the work of all wrestlers, coaches, parents and even ADs. To expand further, the thought of this same system having to remain how it is for another two years is ridiculous.

No argument from me. While I have questioned some things regarding your ideas, ultimately I have agreed that giving JV wrestlers a chance to make states and using 5th placers to fill voids are both good ideas, although I think some parameters need to be laid out to make sure some coach doesn't try to manipulate the situation to his benefit. Obviously the X-factor here is the WVSSAC and their rules.

Question. You voice your opinion on here a lot. Have you voiced this to anyone at WVSSAC or to the Wrestling Committee members? I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone on this forum has any influence over what goes on.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:06 pm

Diamond wrote:And there it is...Couldn't be put any better. Good Job Coach!!

Thank you. Just speaking from my heart. I have seen the issues that I mentioned in 3 different counties, so I know it is a state-wide problem.

aaacoach89

Postby aaacoach89 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:33 pm

I just spoke to one of the Committee members, whom I know for a fact is a huge supporter of the sport, and is someone I trust completely and consider a friend. He explained the process to me a bit more clearly. Being this late in the season, the issue will not be resolved this year. The Committee members are not the end all be all when decisions are made. They have the ability to propose ideas and solutions to problems, but in the end the WVSSAC has the final vote. I explained the idea of 5th place finishers being used to fill open spots, and using the unofficial rankings to decide which 5th place finisher is selected. For example, kid ranked 7th in state doesn't qualify, but finishes 5th at Regionals would be used to fill spot before a kid ranked 10th and a 5th place finisher. It was agreed that if I would put it in writing that it could be discussed at their meeting in the spring. Again, not the immediate solution, but I did contact someone, speak up, try to get an answer.... So for now, that is an issue that will go no further this year. I will draft something and turn it in, hopefully it makes enough sense. I truly appreciate the Committee member who took the time to hear me out and give me some honest feedback, again truly a good man.

Sally

Postby Sally » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:51 pm

I spoke with my principal this morning, he's a former coach and very knowledgeable about the rules and policies. He verified what Mr. Carman (i think he posted it earlier) posted previously, pertaining to the rule change proposals. All proposals were due January 15. However some sport specific, in this case wrestling, changes can be made if the Coaches Committee agree and seek approval by the WVSSAC before next season. He used baseball in our region as an example. The baseball coaches here and in this region have been asking for a change in sectionals affecting regional. Apparently this took several years but it finally happened.

Calling the WVSSAC might make some feel better but it will not change the situation.

There is a process.

Coaches in the state of WV must agree on whatever change is proposed.

The coaches committee will then seek approval for the change by the WVSSAC.

The WVSSAC will either approve it or deny.

I've mentioned this previously. Friday morning the wrestling coaches association meets. If you have a rule or policy you would like to see changed, be ready to speak up. I would encourage folks to have something on paper. Simply bringing up the problem over and over will not fix it. You must have thoughtful solutions.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:00 pm

Sally wrote:I spoke with my principal this morning, he's a former coach and very knowledgeable about the rules and policies. He verified what Mr. Carman (i think he posted it earlier) posted previously, pertaining to the rule change proposals. All proposals were due January 15. However some sport specific, in this case wrestling, changes can be made if the Coaches Committee agree and seek approval by the WVSSAC before next season. He used baseball in our region as an example. The baseball coaches here and in this region have been asking for a change in sectionals affecting regional. Apparently this took several years but it finally happened.

Calling the WVSSAC might make some feel better but it will not change the situation.

There is a process.

Coaches in the state of WV must agree on whatever change is proposed.

The coaches committee will then seek approval for the change by the WVSSAC.

I've mentioned this previously. Friday morning the wrestling coaches association meets. If you have a rule or policy you would like to see changed, be ready to speak up. I would encourage folks to have something on paper. Simply bringing up the problem over and over will not fix it. You must have thoughtful solutions.

Please see my comments and questions in all caps:

Coaches in the state of WV must agree on whatever change is proposed. IS THIS ALL COACHES OR THE COACHES ON THE COMMITTEE?

The coaches committee will then seek approval for the change by the WVSSAC. HOW OFTEN DOES THIS COACHES COMMITTEE MEET?

I've mentioned this previously. Friday morning the wrestling coaches association meets. If you have a rule or policy you would like to see changed, be ready to speak up. I would encourage folks to have something on paper. Simply bringing up the problem over and over will not fix it. You must have thoughtful solutions. ON PAPER AND SUBMIT TO WHO?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:58 pm

Crusty1 wrote:If there is going to be a bye, why not take a 5th place finisher from another region? We pull a pill for the bracket selection, why not pull a pill to see what region the 5th place finisher comes from? Easy, safe, fair and cost effective!

We finally did it in 2019. It took 2 years but the decision makers got it done. Good job!!!

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Congratulations on this improvement but what have you done to address the injustices suffered by Coach Williams? What have you done Bearhugger to stop community support? Limit travel by schools? force athletic directors to close up wrestling rooms at the end of the scholastic season? forbid kids from challenging themselves in the off season?
Coach says that he has transferred his kids into 3 different school districts so his complaints about athletic directors allowing recruiting (or transfers) confuse me.

Until we get the top programs to share the funds they work for so that everyone can travel we won’t be able to share in mediocrity.

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:21 pm

coach_williams wrote: It is easy to be #1 when you ....

With all due respect, how do you know how hard or easy it is to be the #1 team?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:25 pm

Studcradle wrote:Congratulations on this improvement but what have you done to address the injustices suffered by Coach Williams? What have you done Bearhugger to stop community support? Limit travel by schools? force athletic directors to close up wrestling rooms at the end of the scholastic season? forbid kids from challenging themselves in the off season?
Coach says that he has transferred his kids into 3 different school districts so his complaints about athletic directors allowing recruiting (or transfers) confuse me.

Until we get the top programs to share the funds they work for so that everyone can travel we won’t be able to share in mediocrity.

The word on the street is Braxton County is participating in the 2020 WSAZ. If true, then the town of Flatwoods will be cleansed of all sins. If Braxton County goes elsewhere, we shall all continue to pray. However, a great team only comes along every so often. A great year like 2020 may never happen again in WV wrestling.

3-4 nationally ranked wrestlers and an army of kids that have contributed to the excitement for 3 and soon to be 4 seasons.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:27 pm

Studcradle wrote:

Studcradle, keep in kind that this topic has been resurrected from 2017. A lot has changed.

I am also still trying to figure out who you are. I have narrowed it down to either Wheeling Park or East Fairmont.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:14 am

The problem is not with the number of kids at each weight, it's the number of schools per region. AAA only has one region with 8 schools. The rest have 7 schools. While the smallest # of schools in AA/A regions is 15, next has 16 and 2 have 17. There is no balance between AA/A and AAA. This is the more ridiculous situation. That's why there should be 1 state tournament and put everyone together.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:23 am

Studcradle wrote:

"With all due respect" don't take a few words out of context and then use it to attack me. I know how hard it is to produce a #1 team because I have been a part of programs trying to do so for my share of years and I know firsthand that administrations can be a hinder or a supporter of that success. That was the focus of my entire comment. If you had bothered to read and comprehend it then maybe you could have avoided the need to make juvenile comments in back-to-back posts trying to pick an argument with me.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:50 pm

mike.carman wrote:The problem is not with the number of kids at each weight, it's the number of schools per region. AAA only has one region with 8 schools. The rest have 7 schools. While the smallest # of schools in AA/A regions is 15, next has 16 and 2 have 17. There is no balance between AA/A and AAA. This is the more ridiculous situation. That's why there should be 1 state tournament and put everyone together.

AGREE

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:14 am

mike.carman wrote:The problem is not with the number of kids at each weight, it's the number of schools per region. AAA only has one region with 8 schools. The rest have 7 schools. While the smallest # of schools in AA/A regions is 15, next has 16 and 2 have 17. There is no balance between AA/A and AAA. This is the more ridiculous situation. That's why there should be 1 state tournament and put everyone together.

Good points Mike. Some of the better matches I’ve witnessed in the past 5 years have been between AAA vs AA/A kids. It would strengthen the state tournament to have an all class tourney.
Moderator WV Mat

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:22 pm

Playing devil's advocate here....

1. If allowing JV into states is the answer, then does that increase the complaints that wrestlers with a losing record are getting into states? To be fair, outside of a handful of wrestlers, very few JV wrestlers will be much of a contender at states. Is a body in the bracket all that matters?

2. If we go to a single-class state tournament, is everyone comfortable that 50% of the wrestlers that currently qualify for states will not? Is it that much a concern that there is a handful of wrestlers with a losing record or there is an occasional bye? As an example of how this could be detrimental, AA/A 160# state champion Austin Gibson finished 3rd in his region and would have watched states from the stands in an 8-man bracketed single-class championship. So would have 126 runner-up Wyatt Powell, as would have 15 others who placed 3rd and 4th in their region, but placed top 6 at states. I only looked at AA/A, so I assume this could be even more of a problem that I have stated.

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:44 pm

Or we could have a single class 32 person bracket....

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:24 pm

coach_williams wrote:Playing devil's advocate here....

1. If allowing JV into states is the answer, then does that increase the complaints that wrestlers with a losing record are getting into states? To be fair, outside of a handful of wrestlers, very few JV wrestlers will be much of a contender at states. Is a body in the bracket all that matters?

2. If we go to a single-class state tournament, is everyone comfortable that 50% of the wrestlers that currently qualify for states will not? Is it that much a concern that there is a handful of wrestlers with a losing record or there is an occasional bye? As an example of how this could be detrimental, AA/A 160# state champion Austin Gibson finished 3rd in his region and would have watched states from the stands in an 8-man bracketed single-class championship. So would have 126 runner-up Wyatt Powell, as would have 15 others who placed 3rd and 4th in their region, but placed top 6 at states. I only looked at AA/A, so I assume this could be even more of a problem that I have stated.

JV into the regional tournaments will help the sport. If any survive, then they move onto the state tournament.

1. Having wrestlers only have to make weight, go 0-2 and qualify for the states is worse than a JV wrestling in the region.
2. Having TNVs (Thursday Night Vacancies) at the state tournament is terrible. Applause to the decision makers who fixed this problem last season. However, some weight classes used up every wrestler available to fill the TNVs.
3. Seeing a JV wrestle his/her way through the state tournament adds excitement. Could you imagine what kind of a bad a$$ could have been behind Frazier, Amos, Hall, Roberts or Best for 4 years???
4. I will stop here so I do not open up wounds of the past.

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Moderator WV Mat

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:52 pm

Bearhugger wrote:

JV into the regional tournaments will help the sport. If any survive, then they move onto the state tournament.

1. Having wrestlers only have to make weight, go 0-2 and qualify for the states is worse than a JV wrestling in the region.
2. Having TNVs (Thursday Night Vacancies) at the state tournament is terrible. Applause to the decision makers who fixed this problem last season. However, some weight classes used up every wrestler available to fill the TNVs.
3. Seeing a JV wrestle his/her way through the state tournament adds excitement. Could you imagine what kind of a bad a$$ could have been behind Frazier, Amos, Hall, Roberts or Best for 4 years???
4. I will stop here so I do not open up wounds of the past.

Very good idea

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:41 pm

Studcradle wrote:Or we could have a single class 32 person bracket....

And how does that fix anything. If we can't fill two 16 man brackets then we can't fill a single 32 man bracket.

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:10 am

Bearhugger wrote:

I would like to think to qualify for states, one should win a match at regionals.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:18 pm

brentsams wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

I would like to think to qualify for states, one should win a match at regionals.

The bigger picture is this. Most of this discussion is concerning AAA which only has one region with 8 teams and 3 with 7 teams. While AA/A has 15, 2x 16 and 17 teams in their regions. I don't see any balance here. Either split AA/A down and balance the number of schools or go to a single class tournament. Most AAA schools are only slightly larger than the AA schools so what is the big deal. You can still maintain the A, AA, AAA team titles but compete in one bracket. Forget the whole JV argument altogether.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:00 pm

mike.carman wrote:
brentsams wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

The bigger picture is this. Most of this discussion is concerning AAA which only has one region with 8 teams and 3 with 7 teams. While AA/A has 15, 2x 16 and 17 teams in their regions. I don't see any balance here. Either split AA/A down and balance the number of schools or go to a single class tournament. Most AAA schools are only slightly larger than the AA schools so what is the big deal. You can still maintain the A, AA, AAA team titles but compete in one bracket. Forget the whole JV argument altogether.

Splitting AA/A to stock AAA just so there are one or two less byes at AAA states would hurt AA/A way more than it helped AAA. School size matters absolutely none. Team size matters. How many AAA teams took less than 8 wrestlers to regionals? I did not count, but I feel safe in saying every region in AA/A had anywhere between 5 and 8 teams with less than 8 wrestlers. If you take the top 4 teams out of each region to fill out AAA then you majorly water down AA/A.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:34 am

coach_williams wrote:
mike.carman wrote:
brentsams wrote:

Splitting AA/A to stock AAA just so there are one or two less byes at AAA states would hurt AA/A way more than it helped AAA. School size matters absolutely none. Team size matters. How many AAA teams took less than 8 wrestlers to regionals? I did not count, but I feel safe in saying every region in AA/A had anywhere between 5 and 8 teams with less than 8 wrestlers. If you take the top 4 teams out of each region to fill out AAA then you majorly water down AA/A.

Then do away with classes altogether. Don't water down anything and just compete in a single class system. Our numbers don't support multi-classes anyway. Going to a single tournament wouldn't water down anything. If nothing else, it would make it more competitive.

Besides AAA is already watered down. Plus I have it on good authority that 1 AAA team will be dropping to AA next year anyway. Whether by attrition or mandate, we probably won't have very many AAA schools in the state before too long.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:04 am

mike.carman wrote:
coach_williams wrote:
mike.carman wrote:

Then do away with classes altogether. Don't water down anything and just compete in a single class system. Our numbers don't support multi-classes anyway. Going to a single tournament wouldn't water down anything. If nothing else, it would make it more competitive.

Besides AAA is already watered down. Plus I have it on good authority that 1 AAA team will be dropping to AA next year anyway. Whether by attrition or mandate, we probably won't have very many AAA schools in the state before too long.

I have no problem with going to one class. My only concern is the impact that the reduced chance of going to states has on the sport. Ultimately it will probably have to happen eventually either way simply because the population in WV is shrinking dramatically. Our state has lost an average of 6,200 citizens per year since 2000. Assuming just 30% of those losses are school age children, out schools are losing 1860 students per year.

I have no idea who your authority is, but I don't believe teams can drop to AA on their own. With that said, I imagine Oak Hill will be going to AAA at the next changeover since they are the 3rd largest AA team and they absorbed Fayetteville this year, so AA/A lost Fayetteville this year and will lose Oak Hill soon.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:28 pm

coach_williams wrote:
mike.carman wrote:
coach_williams wrote:

I have no problem with going to one class. My only concern is the impact that the reduced chance of going to states has on the sport. Ultimately it will probably have to happen eventually either way simply because the population in WV is shrinking dramatically. Our state has lost an average of 6,200 citizens per year since 2000. Assuming just 30% of those losses are school age children, out schools are losing 1860 students per year.

I have no idea who your authority is, but I don't believe teams can drop to AA on their own. With that said, I imagine Oak Hill will be going to AAA at the next changeover since they are the 3rd largest AA team and they absorbed Fayetteville this year, so AA/A lost Fayetteville this year and will lose Oak Hill soon.

1. If they go to a 32 man bracket then the exact same number of kids qualify for the state tournament. Either switch to 8 regions and top 4 or top 8 from 4 regions. really doesn't matter. So there would be no decrease in the number of qualifiers.
2. When a schools population drops below a certain number, they get reclassified. Brooke HS is right on the cusp. So if Oak Hill were to move up to AAA and Brooke were to drop to AA, what regions do these schools go to. Region 1 already has Buckhannon-Upshur which is a 3 hour drive for JM and Park and a 3 1/2 for Brooke. Would they just swap places?

Again, classes for the sport of wrestling just don't make sense to me.
Other sports, sure.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:56 am

mike.carman wrote:
1. If they go to a 32 man bracket then the exact same number of kids qualify for the state tournament. Either switch to 8 regions and top 4 or top 8 from 4 regions. really doesn't matter. So there would be no decrease in the number of qualifiers.
2. When a schools population drops below a certain number, they get reclassified. Brooke HS is right on the cusp. So if Oak Hill were to move up to AAA and Brooke were to drop to AA, what regions do these schools go to. Region 1 already has Buckhannon-Upshur which is a 3 hour drive for JM and Park and a 3 1/2 for Brooke. Would they just swap places?

Other sports, sure.

Going to a 32 man bracket fixes nothing. The complaint is that we have byes and wrestlers with losing records in the two 16 man brackets. How does a 32 man bracket fix that? I thought the whole point of combining AAA and AA/A was to fix the open spots in the state tournament. That only happens if the classes are combined and we stick to a 16 man bracket.

I didn't know they allowed schools to change classes year-to-year. I thought it was done on like a 4 or 5 year rotation by the SSAC.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:44 pm

coach_williams wrote:
mike.carman wrote:

Other sports, sure.

Going to a 32 man bracket fixes nothing. The complaint is that we have byes and wrestlers with losing records in the two 16 man brackets. How does a 32 man bracket fix that? I thought the whole point of combining AAA and AA/A was to fix the open spots in the state tournament. That only happens if the classes are combined and we stick to a 16 man bracket.

I didn't know they allowed schools to change classes year-to-year. I thought it was done on like a 4 or 5 year rotation by the SSAC.

The problem doesn't come from holes in lineups, the problem stems from the number of schools in each region in AAA. I don't think there is an issue of "byes" in A/AA. In fact, I would venture to say that the brackets in A/AA could actually support a 32 man bracket right now. So adding 7-8 teams to those regions would actually help numbers and thereby fix the issue.
Below are some numbers that I base my assumptions off of. I have compared the regional bracket sizes vs combining them.
The numbers seem to support a single class 32 man bracket at the state tournament where the number do not support 2 16 man brackets with 2 divisions. FYI, the same exact number of competitors would advance to the state tournament. 2 16 man brackets are the same as 1 32 man bracket and we get to find out who is the best.

Region 1 AA vs AAA Combined Regional 8 move on to states
AA AAA
106 - 8 4 12 man bracket 4 stay home
113 - 10 5 15 man bracket 7 stay home
120 - 9 6 16 man bracket 8 stay home
126 - 14 6 20 man bracket 12 stay home
132 - 13 6 19 man bracket 11 stay home
138 - 13 7 20 man bracket 12 stay home
145 - 13 6 19 man bracket 11 stay home
152 - 13 7 20 man bracket 12 stay home
160 - 12 4 16 man bracket 8 stay home
170 - 13 6 19 man bracket 11 stay home