All State in Wrestling

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
allheart

All State in Wrestling

Postby allheart » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:25 pm

Going on the theme of trying to promote the sport like so many posters have shared, I came across some questions and thought I would ask.

What are your opinions on what should be considered All State in wrestling?

State Champions?
State Placers?

1st Team, 2nd Team, Honorable Mention, etc?

Does our state (WVSSAC) have established criteria?

greencrush

Re: All State in Wrestling

Postby greencrush » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:34 pm

allheart wrote:Going on the theme of trying to promote the sport like so many posters have shared, I came across some questions and thought I would ask.

State Champions?
State Placers?

Placers would make sense. Making it into the podium is a big deal. In college, placewinners are called "all-Americans".
I don't think there is such a thing as "all state" officially.
sentenceseller

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:49 pm

greencrush wrote:
allheart wrote:Going on the theme of trying to promote the sport like so many posters have shared, I came across some questions and thought I would ask.

State Champions?
State Placers?

Placers would make sense. Making it into the podium is a big deal. In college, placewinners are called "all-Americans".
I don't think there is such a thing as "all state" officially.

Interesting. There should be.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:13 pm

I Like this thinking!

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:54 pm

At my school, only state champs in wrestling have been referred to as "all-state" and only 1st team all-state athletes in any sport get recognized on a wall of fame, so to speak. I know other sports recognize 2nd team, honorable mention, special honorable, etc., but wrestling state placewinners have never been called all-state- not sure why. I guess it would be up to the individual school how it's treated locally, but on a state level, I don't know. Maybe it's assumed since one places, he is all-state 1st thru 6th team.. It would stand to reason that a wrestler who actually places at state by his performance at that event could be considered all-state at some level, which seems even more legitimate than some other sports that may use the opinion of sportswriters, for example. There are some parallels to track. Are all the placewinners in the 100 meter all-state?

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:44 pm

No idea about track. All-state makes more sense for placewinners.
I can't imagine that a STATE CHAMPION would ever care to be known as "all-state".
Everywhere I have ever been, state champions are called state champions, not "first team all state".

In the end it doesn't matter what you call it, the accomplishment is the same. However, kids walking the halls with a jacket/sweatshirt/etc that says all state on the back is a heck of a lot better for team marketing and recruitment than
Johnson (generic name)
6th place
That's for sure.
sentenceseller

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:52 pm

I've finished 2nd in some one on one fistfights and no one ever called me all state. ;)

Seriously though, I call a lot of former wrestlers champ, but that's because they earned the title of state champion. I know some pretty great wrestlers who finished 2nd or 3rd and that's nothing to hang your head about. Everything fought for on the mat is earned.

I don't know that there are any all state wrestlers or tennis players though. Just state champions.
Moderator WV Mat

Waitingforbaseball

Postby Waitingforbaseball » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:04 pm

To me All State for individual sports like wrestling is a great idea and needs to be done. You have kids that are awarded All State for team sports when 90%+ of the time if it wasn't for their team they would not get the award. Can't run 1000 yards without linemen. Even if it was awarded off the state tournament you could go
1st , 2nd place = first team
3rd, 4th place = 2nd team
5th , 6th place = Special honorable mention
Honorable mention would be the kids nominated by coaches and voted on that might deserve to be recognized but due to a hard lose or injury did not make or place in states.
Just my thought.

Repoman1304

Postby Repoman1304 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:09 pm

I think it would help the sport for sure..

Matofficial

Postby Matofficial » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:43 pm

Gator, some schools recognize tennis (PSHS) and put their pic on the wall even when they were not number one.

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:34 pm

Matofficial wrote:Gator, some schools recognize tennis (PSHS) and put their pic on the wall even when they were not number one.

Wow, that's demeans the all state players and wrestling state champions who adorn the walls there. Show me that sometime.

Since we have a new President, can we get Philipians 4:13 back on the wall too?
Moderator WV Mat

aaacoach89

Postby aaacoach89 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:48 am

I like the idea. I think it would be a good tool or advertising to attract some kids. At NHSCA if you place on the podium you are recognized as All American, so why not be recognized as All State if you place on the podium in your respective state.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:00 am

Matofficial wrote:Gator, some schools recognize tennis (PSHS) and put their pic on the wall even when they were not number one.

Is that a permanent picture that they leave up forever? I have seen some school put up a banner or poster of the team during the season or for the school year, but then take it down the next year.

EASwrestling

Postby EASwrestling » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:37 pm

In College, if you make the Podium, you are an "All American". In High School, if you make the Podium you should be "All State". There is only one "NATIONAL CHAMPION" in College, and only one "STATE CHAMPION" in High School per weight class, all other placewinners in High School should be recognized as "All State". Only makes sense to me. Schools are at their own discretion I guess on how these "All Staters" should be, and are recognized. Wrestling is the toughest , and the greatest sport in the world. In my opinion any "All State" wrestler should be recognized in some fashion.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:57 pm

EASwrestling wrote:In College, if you make the Podium, you are an "All American". In High School, if you make the Podium you should be "All State". There is only one "NATIONAL CHAMPION" in College, and only one "STATE CHAMPION" in High School per weight class, all other placewinners in High School should be recognized as "All State".

I second this.

Return to “High School Wrestling”