AAA Region 3 Brackets and Seeding

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
ArmBar

AAA Region 3 Brackets and Seeding

Postby ArmBar » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:14 pm

Any word on when we can expect AAA Region 3 to post its seeding and bracket information?

Truesouthfaninhunt

Re: AAA Region 3 Brackets and Seeding

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:49 pm

They are up.

sfc1

Postby sfc1 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:27 pm

Wow!! There are several classes where there are just 4 kids. We are in the era of show up and qualify. Gone are the days of earning your way!!!

UpSouth

Postby UpSouth » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:56 pm

Way to go WVSSAC. You people really made a real mess of these regionals. These kids in Region 4 are really taking it.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:12 pm

UpSouth wrote:Way to go WVSSAC. You people really made a real mess of these regionals. These kids in Region 4 are really taking it.

This is a travesty of justice. Kids work hard all year. Their parent spend money on camps, trips to tournaments, etc. Then they have to deal with a system where some kids have to go through a mini state tournament to qualify while inferior competitors just have to show up, make weight, pass a skin test and they are headed to the state tournament.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:16 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
UpSouth wrote:Way to go WVSSAC. You people really made a real mess of these regionals. These kids in Region 4 are really taking it.

This is a travesty of justice. Kids work hard all year. Their parent spend money on camps, trips to tournaments, etc. Then they have to deal with a system where some kids have to go through a mini state tournament to qualify while inferior competitors just have to show up, make weight, pass a skin test and they are headed to the state tournament.

I kind of though this made region 2 look good. There are only 71 kids total in region 3

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:39 pm

Bearhugger wrote: ...inferior competitors just have to show up, make weight, pass a skin test and they are headed to the state tournament.

Inferior competitors

We have enough trouble getting kids to come out for the sport without having people insult them as being "inferior competitors."

Yes, by all means, come out for wrestling so that anonymous people living in their mother's basement can refer to you as inferior on the WV-Mat forum.

Now, I have to deal with the torrent of angry email I will receive from their parents who demand that you be banned...
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

UpSouth

Postby UpSouth » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:56 pm

If you ban Bearhugger, then go ahead and ban me. Bearhugger is all about the kids and the sport of wrestling. He does not mean any disrespect to any wrestler. The man is a wealth of knowledge in WV High School wrestling, and apparently the Powers To Be in the WVSSAC and whatever other Commitee, needs to have a face to face with Bearhugger and take notes on how to fix this embarrassing mess they created. Is this fair to the kids in Region 4. ??? No Way..

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:13 pm

If he was going to ban him, he would have already, but the point is perception is reality. Alot of things are taken out of context on here but it is not what is said it is how it is perceived that gets DOC hate mail.

Furthermore there is a huge difference between a wealth of knowledge and thinking that you need to voice your OPINION on every single thing that you do the like, or does not meet your PERSONAL expectation as a fan.

RWWS

Postby RWWS » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:18 pm

How was it not disrespectful?

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:45 pm

admin wrote:
Bearhugger wrote: ...inferior competitors just have to show up, make weight, pass a skin test and they are headed to the state tournament.

Inferior competitors

We have enough trouble getting kids to come out for the sport without having people insult them as being "inferior competitors."

Yes, by all means, come out for wrestling so that anonymous people living in their mother's basement can refer to you as inferior on the WV-Mat forum.

Now, I have to deal with the torrent of angry email I will receive from their parents who demand that you be banned...

One could choose a different word than inferior. But in general, discussing regional strength doesn't seem like something any specific parent should get upset with. The match results from this season demonstrate some regions are weaker than others. It's not a knock on any specific wrestler. Seems odd a specific parent would take offense to it.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:06 pm

Need to look at it objectively for the long term. Not just this season.
Ask yourself can it be better for the sport and the student athlete.
The state tourney should be a reward for the most talented wrestlers!
Sure there will always be a wrestler on the bubble of the tourney but what an improvement to get more participation, competition and make it better for years to come!
With the size of this state and the unpredictability for how strong each region will be year in and year out THERE SHOULD BE TWO REGIONALS.
The best 16 have a more probability of going to the states!
Good luck all wrestlers in whatever region you may be in!
Several talented hard working wrestlers will not make it to the states this year and unless something changes this will continue!

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:08 pm

guard0544 wrote: Seems odd a specific parent would take offense to it.

"Hell hath no fury like a p.o. 'ed wrestling Mom..."
(smile)
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

RWWS

Postby RWWS » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:13 pm

As it has been for years. I do not doubt that the regions are lopsided and they have been for years. As I have stated over the past few weeks why is there so much griping about it now? Is it right the way it is? I would have to say no but unfortunately it is the system the kids have at this point in time. I personally think that what really needs done is that we look at how we classify schools and figure out if an adjustment needs to be made to determine what classifications school should be in, by that I mean does the number of students in the school need to be adjusted. Good luck to all this weekend and let's hope everyone stays healthy

Mark

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:24 pm

I can not sit and listen to Bearhugger degrade wrestlers to make a point. He has now lost all credibility with me. I have read the posts and I believe there needs to be changes but to degrade any wrestler is unacceptable. All of these wrestlers would participate in the state tournament if only the champions received awards. If he truly wanted change he would not be insulting kids. He would write letters make appointments to meet with the WVSSAC. I have enjoyed WVMat for a very long time. Thank you Doc Miller. Please ban Bearhugger until after States.

UpSouth

Postby UpSouth » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:40 pm

Is it fair for ranked kids to be sent home, while other kids, some with losing records, just show up , make weight and get a ticket to Huntington. No way is this fair. But it is not the kids fault at all. It's all the suits who made this problem. You guys want to blow the ( Inferior) comment out of proportion. It was not said or meant as downgrading to anyone.

RWWS

Postby RWWS » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:52 pm

Interesting

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:02 pm

May need to implement some of quotas so we insure an equal number of wrestlers from each region are represented in the weekly rankings to avoid any parents feelings from getting hurt. :)

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:07 am

admin wrote:

Inferior competitors

Webster's dictionary defines "inferior" as "lower in order, rank, or quality". Region 4 has a higher percentage of wrestlers (over 40%) that are "higher in rank, order or quality". Region 3 just happens to be lower in order, rank, or quality, collectively as a group.

Every weekend we have tournaments. The wrestlers are seeded. The #1 seed is perceived to be the best, thus he is seeded first. The seeding continues until the brackets are filled up. The brackets are seeded in a manner to facilitate the event of the two best wrestlers meeting in the finals. The opening match of the #1 seed is typically against the wrestler who is "lowest in order, rank, or quality". In other words, it is the wrestler with the worst record. We seed the best to match up with the worst.

Every week the coaches vote on who are the top ten teams. They also vote for who the top ten individuals are within each weight class.

There are some teams that never make the top ten. There are some individual wrestlers that never, ever crack the top ten at least one time. These teams and individuals that never crack the top ten just happen to be "lower in order, rank, or quality".

We can choose to "qualify" or to "disqualify" anything and anybody at any given time.

Some readers appear to qualify my statement as it was intended. I am attacking the current regional alignment and how it will insure better wrestlers stay home while other wrestlers are already guaranteed a trip to the state tournament.

Other readers choose to disqualify my statement. These same members also tend to dislike my posts often, regardless of the topic or opinion. No problem.

We have a common bond that is wrestling. If the usage of a word as "inferior" is going to upset so many, then we must reflect back on how wrestling has operated for decades. When you are seeded to meet the #1 seed in the first round, you are perceived as being inferior by all of the coaches involved in the seeding. Do you still wrestle the #1 seed or do you have your mother complain to the seeding committee?

When a certain wrestler never makes the top 10 rankings all season long from the first week in January to the end of February, what are the ranking creators telling him? One message might be "you just ain't good enough son". Or maybe his mother says he is stuck at the #11 spot, thus staying under the radar.

PS: I do not live in my mother's basement. I also was not offended by such a statement.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY TO ALL.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:11 am

guard0544 wrote:
admin wrote:

Inferior competitors

One could choose a different word than inferior. But in general, discussing regional strength doesn't seem like something any specific parent should get upset with. The match results from this season demonstrate some regions are weaker than others. It's not a knock on any specific wrestler. Seems odd a specific parent would take offense to it.

St. Albans is in region 3. They have at least four wrestlers that are bad match ups for anybody. Two are ranked first. Two are third. Tough, tough kids!!!!!!! I am sorry if I might have offended them.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:00 am

Bearhugger wrote:
admin wrote:

Inferior competitors

Every week the coaches vote on who are the top ten teams. They also vote for who the top ten individuals are within each weight class.

I see this frequently said on the forum. Typically by someone attempting to discredit the rankings. I know that is not the purpose here. However, I still want to point out that the coaches do not vote on the top ten individuals to be ranked. They are purely based on match results. The only involvement coaches would have in these rankings would be pointing out match results that may have been missed by wvmat.

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:05 am

Nobody cares about your rankings.
sentenceseller

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:14 am

greencrush wrote:Nobody cares about your rankings.

Or your comments? Oh... :)

Bucktail

Postby Bucktail » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:49 am

Bearhugger's point is a reasonable point, but there was a poor choice of words. Let those who have never befallen the use of a poor phrase cast the first banning rhetoric.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:20 am

Bucktail wrote:Bearhugger's point is a reasonable point, but there was a poor choice of words. Let those who have never befallen the use of a poor phrase cast the first banning rhetoric.

By now he should be acutely aware of the sensitivities of some forum readers and undoubtedly will carefully draft each sentence accordingly going forward.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:13 am

This is not the first year that some weight classes in some regions have only had 4 kids in their brackets. Not meant to ignore what seems like a negative participation trend but just saying...

Sj154_69

Postby Sj154_69 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:15 am

I have been reading the comments since the schools were moved around due to change in their classes. It can be looked at the administration grouped the regions so that it wouldn't be a financial burden on the programs that are not as well funded as the others. I can't say that a agree with their choices, but I can see what they were thinking on the subject. The one thing we still have to remember is wrestling is not that high up on their list of sports to take care of since this is not a big revenue producing sport. I do believe that the only way to change it would be the coaches and parents talking with their principals. It is well know that you can call the WVSSAC as much as you want but they will just tell you to get with the administration of your school.

I also would like everyone to just do some research on the past regional brackets and see if you can find wrestlers that probably wouldn't have made it to the states if they were in another region. I can assure you there will be some that you feel would not have been in the state tournament. Everyone that loves wrestling wants to see the best against the best, but the system doesn't always seem fair to everyone. I can think back when it was only the regional champions that went to the state tournament and there were some that finished second that would of won in another region.

I do hope they revisit the regional alignment, but since it would only be for wrestling it would take a major effort from everyone involved with wrestling to get their attention.

Bearhugger may have had a bad choice of words but from reading his comments for many years I can see his love for wrestling and the kids that will put their foot on the line to challenge themselves to be the best. He has commented on how to improve as a wrestler in the past and from reading it you can see he cares about the kids in this state that wrestle whether they are the best or desire to put forth the effort to be the best.

I hope everyone enjoys the regionals and good luck to all the wrestlers.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:50 am

guard0544 wrote:
Bucktail wrote:Bearhugger's point is a reasonable point, but there was a poor choice of words. Let those who have never befallen the use of a poor phrase cast the first banning rhetoric.

By now he should be acutely aware of the sensitivities of some forum readers and undoubtedly will carefully draft each sentence accordingly going forward.

Much earlier in the season, I made a complimentary post about Keyser. Some folks who were not from the Keyser community were offended by it.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:03 am

HERE IS A SHOCKER, " LIFE ISN'T FAIR." Quit bitching and whining to get the so called system fair, that is not how life works. Get over yourselves and let the KIDS wrestle everything is going to be ALRIGHT! You read these comments and it falls right into give everybody a trophy mentality.

RWWS

Postby RWWS » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:32 am

forthekids wrote:HERE IS A SHOCKER, " LIFE ISN'T FAIR." Quit bitching and whining to get the so called system fair, that is not how life works. Get over yourselves and let the KIDS wrestle everything is going to be ALRIGHT! You read these comments and it falls right into give everybody a trophy mentality.

Love this guy

Return to “High School Wrestling”