Could the State Tournament selection be like the NCAAs?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
brentsams

Could the State Tournament selection be like the NCAAs?

Postby brentsams » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:34 am

http://www.ncaa.com/championships/wrest ... mpionships

I love the history of Regional Tournaments, but maybe do away with them and qualification could come from conference tournaments (pro-rated size and strength) with at-large bids. This would free up a weekend where we could have a State Duals Tournament 2 weeks before the State and coaches could get together then for seeding top 8 and select at-large wrestlers. I use software that would scramble wrestlers so they would not be in the same quarter bracket as their conference opponents. Just thinking outside the box.

Thanks - Brent

vortexfan

Re: Could the State Tournament selection be like the NCAAs?

Postby vortexfan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:18 am

Good idea!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:32 am

brentsams wrote:http://www.ncaa.com/championships/wrestling/d1/road-to-the-championships

I love the history of Regional Tournaments, but maybe do away with them and qualification could come from conference tournaments (pro-rated size and strength) with at-large bids. This would free up a weekend where we could have a State Duals Tournament 2 weeks before the State and coaches could get together then for seeding top 8 and select at-large wrestlers. I use software that would scramble wrestlers so they would not be in the same quarter bracket as their conference opponents. Just thinking outside the box.

Thanks - Brent

I happened to attend the Coalfield Conference and the MSAC both this season. Caught some CF early in the day, MSAC from 132 finals and up and then caught the CF finals from 195 and up.

The Coalfield is almost the same as AA/A region 3. The MSAC is almost the AAA regions 3 and 4 combined.

I do not have the answer, but the regional system is not serving its purpose and it has outlived itself. The regional system cannot keep up with the rapidly changing population in WV.

As always, great input.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:30 am

Isn't it kind of already like that? In NCAA 290 of 330 wrestlers earn a spot in the championships by placing at a conference tournament. In WV wrestlers qualify for state championships by placing at a regional tournament. The only difference is the extra 40 being added based on a committee decision.

My only beef with conference tournaments pro-rated based on size and strength is we end up in the same silly pattern that the NCAA constantly has of teams jockeying to move to a different conference every few years.

I would be inclined to say we keep the regionals the way they are (with some realignment, where justified) and fill any open spots in the bracket by a committee decision.

masonbailey

Postby masonbailey » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:12 pm

coach_williams wrote:Isn't it kind of already like that? In NCAA 290 of 330 wrestlers earn a spot in the championships by placing at a conference tournament. In WV wrestlers qualify for state championships by placing at a regional tournament. The only difference is the extra 40 being added based on a committee decision.

My only beef with conference tournaments pro-rated based on size and strength is we end up in the same silly pattern that the NCAA constantly has of teams jockeying to move to a different conference every few years.

I would be inclined to say we keep the regionals the way they are (with some realignment, where justified) and fill any open spots in the bracket by a committee decision.

No, its not like it at all. Conferences are only guaranteed 1 spot (Champ). Then, the Coaches and RPI are factored in to give the number on qualifiers based on those rankings.

RWWS

Postby RWWS » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:33 pm

How would we deal with the OVAC where the majority of the teams are from Ohio and all classifications are represented of th WV teams that are members?

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:12 pm

RWWS wrote:How would we deal with the OVAC where the majority of the teams are from Ohio and all classifications are represented of th WV teams that are members?

The OVAC AAA WV teams: Brooke, John Marshall, Morgantown, South, University and Wheeling Park also belong to Two Rivers Athletic Conference. They have had conference championships in other sports such as track, but I have yet to see them have it for wrestling. This conference would be similar to the old Region 1, and there is no reason they can't add a team or two to the conference for wrestling only.

I do no know if the OVAC smaller division teams have anything similar.

Thanks - Brent

RWWS

Postby RWWS » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:34 pm

Maybe we could add in Preston and Parkersburg and now you have a conference.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:36 pm

To expand on this idea, we have a few conferences that need to be reviewed and reworked. The Cardinal conference is one of them.

The Kanawha County championship is long overdue to be disbanded or expanded. The Putnam County championship is a quad.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:30 am

RWWS wrote:Maybe we could add in Preston and Parkersburg and now you have a conference.
lol. We could call it the Region 1 Conference. But Preston is in the Big 10 and Parkersburg belongs to the MSAC.

Using a pro-rated system in AAA, 55% of the wrestlers at 29 schools qualify for the state tournament of 16 man brackets. If we use the current regional alignment and a weight class was fully loaded across all 4 regions, the automatic qualifiers and at-large selection would be:
R1 (7 teams) - 3 automatic qualifiers
R2 (7 teams) - 3 automatic qualifiers
R3 (8 teams) - 4 automatic qualifiers
R4 (7 teams) - 3 automatic qualifiers
Total 13 automatic qualifiers with 3 at-large selections.

If a weight class was not fully loaded across the regions, the automatic qualifiers would diminish and the number of at-large selections would increase. Let's pick a weight class out of the air as an example of this year's regional entries... 113 pounds:
Region 1, 5 contestants - 2 automatic qualifiers
Region 2, 6 contestants - 3 automatic qualifiers
Region 3, 4 contestants - 2 automatic qualifiers
Region 4, 7 contestants - 3 automatic qualifiers
Out of the 22 wrestlers, 10 would be automatic qualifiers allowing 6 at-large selections.

The breakdown of brackets at 55% is as follows:
0-1 contestants - 0 automatic qualifiers
2-3 contestants - 1 automatic qualifiers
4-5 contestants - 2 automatic qualifiers
6-7 contestants - 3 automatic qualifiers
8-9 contestants - 4 automatic qualifiers
10 contestants - 5 automatic qualifiers
11-12 contestants - 6 automatic qualifiers.

We could use a similar pro-rated system with the AA-A depending on the number of schools. I just don't know what those numbers are.

Thanks - Brent

RWWS

Postby RWWS » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:23 am

lol Brent I figured you would catch that one. I don't think it's a horrible idea I think 3 to all regions and 4 at large would be better.

Return to “High School Wrestling”