Last second weight changes?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Cummings

Re: Last second weight changes?

Postby Cummings » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:26 am

The language of the rules are important.......

"50% of weigh-ins at MINIMUM weight after alpha date", not "the lower weight."

That's interesting. Does the rule language "MINIMUM" mean the lowest possible weight or lowest weight the wrestler has participated in during season?

The way I interpret the rule is by using the DATE. The above wrestler is eligible to wrestle 126 but has wrestled 132 most of the season. If his alpha date for 126 was this week or even tomorrow then he is eligible to wrestle 126 at regional. If the wrestler has been at 138 most of the year and his alpha date for 132 was back in January, half his weigh ins since January should be at 132. This doesn't really answer aacoach70's question.

Could this be why we do not see some kids wrestling in February at conference or late season duals?
[color=#FF0000]Lee Cummings

crochog14

Postby crochog14 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:32 am

Frank wrote:I'm just saying coal city is running low on chicken breast and water.
And China one stock has gone down a point or two

What weight are you referencing here Frank? or are you trolling ? lol

-Crochog
CrocHog

Frank

Postby Frank » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:41 pm

crochog14 wrote:
Frank wrote:I'm just saying coal city is running low on chicken breast and water.
And China one stock has gone down a point or two

What weight are you referencing here Frank? or are you trolling ? lol

-Crochog

I'm just saying if you want to invest some money in China one stock, I'd wait until after states. Adams can't keep them busy by himself.

aacoach119

Postby aacoach119 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:52 pm

Zacsdad wrote:
aacoach114 wrote:So let me get this straight you have a 182 giving up possibly a 100 lbs. Is there no clear path to the championships at 182-195-220 this is crazy. I hope he doesn't get hurt when one of them big boys sprawls on him. Good luck to all today and tomorrow. :cry:

285 lb. Division - Minimum weight is 197.1 and maximum weight is 287, so it could definitely be a 89.9 lb. difference!

So what your telling me is he must gain 15.1 just to qualify to wrestle 285. :ugeek: interesting

NhsMom

Postby NhsMom » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:04 pm

aacoach114 wrote:
Zacsdad wrote:
aacoach114 wrote:So let me get this straight you have a 182 giving up possibly a 100 lbs. Is there no clear path to the championships at 182-195-220 this is crazy. I hope he doesn't get hurt when one of them big boys sprawls on him. Good luck to all today and tomorrow. :cry:

285 lb. Division - Minimum weight is 197.1 and maximum weight is 287, so it could definitely be a 89.9 lb. difference!

So what your telling me is he must gain 15.1 just to qualify to wrestle 285. :ugeek: interesting

He made weight.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:18 pm

NhsMom wrote:
aacoach114 wrote:
Zacsdad wrote:285 lb. Division - Minimum weight is 197.1 and maximum weight is 287, so it could definitely be a 89.9 lb. difference!

He made weight.

If he ate at China One all week long, he would have been cutting to make 285. Good luck to all, big and small!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

aacoach119

Postby aacoach119 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:49 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
NhsMom wrote:
aacoach114 wrote:So what your telling me is he must gain 15.1 just to qualify to wrestle 285. :ugeek: interesting

He made weight.

If he ate at China One all week long, he would have been cutting to make 285. Good luck to all, big and small!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like the region 4 182lb heavy weight strategies is paying off, still in the semi's I am guessing Independence doesn't have a good heavy weight. :lol:

mscoach27

Postby mscoach27 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:12 pm

I haven't heard of any big moves in coal city. Am I missing anything?

aacoach52

Postby aacoach52 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:22 am

coach70

I have thought about this and the wording since the rule came in. I think it should be 50% of all matches/weigh ins after a wrestler is eligible for the weight class. I don't think it has ever been stated that way though. The way it reads now, IMO, is if you never reach your mww, you never have to worry about the alpha date at all because it only applies to your mww. The only way we could check to see if someone was following the rule as it should be would be to log into trackwrestling and get the wrestlers full weight loss plan and know exactly when they were eligible for each weight class not just their minimum class. If your alpha date is on the first day of regionals, you are allowed to drop to that class for regionals. If that is the case it would have to be someone that had a high body fat % and was allowed to continuously lose weight throughout the season or someone that had their initial weight assessment late in the season and was still allowed to lose weight in mid February.
Also, whoever said it only applies to going down in weight class was right.
Another thing that is not quite clear is the minimum weight allowed for a wrestler. I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply to the 285 wrestler from the discussion, but I have seen it happen twice now that the minimum weight was not the same for everyone. From the example if a wrestler that wants to wrestle a heavier weight for what ever reason, and weighs in at 195.1, and has never weighed in under 195 (made scratch as we call it) then he/she is eligible for 220 and 285. The argument against that is that he/she doesn't meet the minimum but every wrestler that weighs in is eligible for two classes, the one they are in, and the one above.
I had a kid that I used at 132 most of the year bump up to 138 for a match. The other coach protested and said that he couldn't do it because he only weighed 127. something and it was the second day of the tournament so he was eligible for 126 according to the weight on the sheet. Unfortunately for us the young man's mww was 132 so he would never be allowed to wrestle 126 that year at all. In addition to that, he had never made 126 anyway so he was not allowed to take the 2 pound growth allowance or the extra pound for consecutive days. My argument for our wrestler was that he should get the two classes like everyone else and that the two classes were 132 and 138. The refs agreed and we went on. The next week it happened again to another kid from a different team. I spoke up and it was applied the same way.
If the kid mentioned above made 182 then he would have to be above 197 to wrestle 285 and above 198 on day two to stay at 285.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:40 am

aacoach114 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
NhsMom wrote:
He made weight.

Sounds like the region 4 182lb heavy weight strategies is paying off, still in the semi's I am guessing Independence doesn't have a good heavy weight. :lol:

Indy has a very good 285. Very technical. I expect to see him on the podium.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”