Spot the Principal

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Spot the Principal

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:30 pm

Here is a little exercise for all fans to do going forward if they wish to. Every time you go into a school for a wrestling match, ask around and see if the hosting school's principal is there in attendance.

There are 8 regional tournaments this weekend. Do we spot 8 principals?

I will be at Independence Friday and Parkersburg South Saturday. Lets see who we see.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Gator

Re: Spot the Principal

Postby Gator » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:47 pm

You won't be able to miss South's Principal. :o
Moderator WV Mat

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:30 am

I rarely see a principal at tournaments. However, I have to give a shoutout to our principal Ms. Pierson. She was at our home tournament both days and she wasn't just making an appearance and then disappearing. She hung out, watched wrestling, socialized, talked to the wrestlers and was there right up until the end of day 2 (around 10:30 PM).

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:57 am

We need the entire wrestling community to look for the principals going forward and provide feedback. I bet there is a correlation with the better programs having their principals present versus the struggling programs having their principals in undisclosed locations.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:11 am

I've been coaching for several years & it has been a rare occasion to see an admin at any of our matches until this year. Our principal came to 3 matches and actually brought a box of food for the wrestlers to a Saturday tourney.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:21 am

Seeing the South principal at a South match is "old hat"...
Its " Mad Max" that I want to see when I make the 2 hour drive.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:39 am

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Seeing the South principal at a South match is "old hat"...
Its " Mad Max" that I want to see when I make the 2 hour drive.

As long as he doesn't don a singlet :lol:

aacoach109

Postby aacoach109 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:08 am

My advice is not to talk negatively about the principals. They are the ones who ultimately make the decisions on all decisions to include schedule, travel, coaching staff (paid and volunteer) and many other factors that influence the wrestling community. I suggest that each team encourages the administration to attend. When the kids start asking most of the time it makes a difference. I would also like to inform everyone that the Eastern Panhandle Principals (Im sure many others fought it also) fought for change in the regions as soon as the realignment was posted. They proposed changes and they were shot down. Our principals made the attempt to correct what we're seeing know. So don't start to blame them. Get them on your side. Changes will only happen if the coaches, coaches committee, athletic directors, and principals make it happen. We need change and we need the principals on board with us to make the changes happen, so be positive and help or stay out of the way.

Please if you see a principal at one of the regionals thank them for attending. Maybe get their contact info and express your concerns through an email or a personal meeting. Thats how we can start to fix the situation were currently in.

Long time fan Doc. Thank you for an awesome website.

aaacoach89

Postby aaacoach89 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:39 am

aacoach109 wrote:My advice is not to talk negatively about the principals. They are the ones who ultimately make the decisions on all decisions to include schedule, travel, coaching staff (paid and volunteer) and many other factors that influence the wrestling community. I suggest that each team encourages the administration to attend. When the kids start asking most of the time it makes a difference. I would also like to inform everyone that the Eastern Panhandle Principals (Im sure many others fought it also) fought for change in the regions as soon as the realignment was posted. They proposed changes and they were shot down. Our principals made the attempt to correct what we're seeing know. So don't start to blame them. Get them on your side. Changes will only happen if the coaches, coaches committee, athletic directors, and principals make it happen. We need change and we need the principals on board with us to make the changes happen, so be positive and help or stay out of the way.

Please if you see a principal at one of the regionals thank them for attending. Maybe get their contact info and express your concerns through an email or a personal meeting. Thats how we can start to fix the situation were currently in.

Good post!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:21 am

aacoach109 wrote:My advice is not to talk negatively about the principals. They are the ones who ultimately make the decisions on all decisions to include schedule, travel, coaching staff (paid and volunteer) and many other factors that influence the wrestling community. I suggest that each team encourages the administration to attend. When the kids start asking most of the time it makes a difference. I would also like to inform everyone that the Eastern Panhandle Principals (Im sure many others fought it also) fought for change in the regions as soon as the realignment was posted. They proposed changes and they were shot down. Our principals made the attempt to correct what we're seeing know. So don't start to blame them. Get them on your side. Changes will only happen if the coaches, coaches committee, athletic directors, and principals make it happen. We need change and we need the principals on board with us to make the changes happen, so be positive and help or stay out of the way.

Nothing negative has been said about a principal. A good way to insure they are on our side is to have them in attendance at wrestling matches. How does anybody monitor attendance? Roll call.

Thank you for your feedback.

aacoach109

Postby aacoach109 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:13 pm

Your welcome Bearhugger. Just wanted to make sure that the post didn't go in a negative direction. We all know how the forum can get. I'm on my 20th year of coaching multiple sports in WV and principals can be our best friend or our worst enemy. Currently I'm working for two supportive principals and superintendent and they truly care about the direction of our sports programs and West Virginia athletics as a whole. All three were coaches and athletes at one point. We're very luck to be in our situation. I'm sure not all systems are this fortunate

Bearhugger, I like your passion for our sport. Thanks

aaacoach6

Postby aaacoach6 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:44 pm

I will give credit where credit is due. During the BNI at Shady Spring our Principal, both Assistant Principals, the Athletic Director, the Football Coach, and two retired administrators as well as several teachers stopped by for several hours to support our wrestlers. And Independence 's principal stop by our room a few days ago to wish us luck in the Regionals while he was at the school for an AC T Test for his students.

TrueSouthFanInPburg

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:02 am

REALLY ? This is the most ridiculous topic I have EVER seen on the forum. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

aacoach52

Postby aacoach52 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:29 am

We always have an administrator at our home matches and we've had the current superintendent and the previous superintendent both attend wrestling matches at home. We will probably have two principals at the state tournament too.

keepitinthecircle

Postby keepitinthecircle » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:05 am

TrueSouthFanInPburg wrote:REALLY ? This is the most ridiculous topic I have EVER seen on the forum. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Then move on and don't BUTT in!!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:37 am

While at Independence High School watching AA/A region 3, I missed the principal Mr. Henry. First time for everything. I have seen him at every Independence event I have ever attended. I also saw him at last season's state tournament.

I have never in my life been around a group of people (Indy coaches, parents, grandparents, and fans) that elaborate so much when their principal's name is mentioned. It is always the same thing, "we are so lucky to have him".

I shall travel on to another location today. Good luck to all. NO MORE DANG INJURIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gator

Postby Gator » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:35 pm

South had their Principal, AD and 3 assistant Principal in attendance.
Moderator WV Mat

mscoach88

Postby mscoach88 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:28 pm

Greenbrier West's principal was in attendance and comes to every athletic event the Cavaliers participate in.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:42 am

Gator wrote:South had their Principal, AD and 3 assistant Principal in attendance.

South was in full force with the staff.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:43 am

mscoach88 wrote:Greenbrier West's principal was in attendance and comes to every athletic event the Cavaliers participate in.

Probably another reason why this small school accomplishes big things.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:08 am

Gator wrote:You won't be able to miss South's Principal. :o

INDEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mscoach88

Postby mscoach88 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:17 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
mscoach88 wrote:Greenbrier West's principal was in attendance and comes to every athletic event the Cavaliers participate in.

The AD was there too. So many at West wear more than one hat. The AD is also an assistant basketball coach.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:52 pm

mscoach88 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

The AD was there too. So many at West wear more than one hat. The AD is also an assistant basketball coach.

Very interesting. I have learned in the work place that efficiencies and effectiveness are increased when you have fewer people managing the workforce. The same is true in any situation. You should not need nine principals, 14 athletic directors, 23 assistant coaches and a personal chef in the cafeteria for every student. When people handle multiple responsibilities, they find opportunities and needed "fixes" much more quickly.

Return to “High School Wrestling”