Records at State tournament

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
vortexfan

Records at State tournament

Postby vortexfan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:42 am

I noticed several wrestlers with losing records will be at State tourney and several others with winning records will not be there. I know records and rankings do not mean everything but this regional alignment needs addressed for the future of this great sport!
I will be calling SSAC; ADs and principals soon after States is over!

aaacoach18

Re: Records at State tournament

Postby aaacoach18 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:46 am

Jimminy Christmas get over it your kid didn't qualify, practice harder, lift some weights, quit crying!!!

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:59 am

Really aaacoach18?

Look at the numbers, you must have benefited from this somehow.

I don't think it is good for the sport! If we as fans do not speak up to the decision makers about this.

Bearhug

Postby Bearhug » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:25 am

These regions need to be addressed pronto. In AA-A its amazing how Region 1 is the way it is and how its basically going to hurt the chances of any Northern Teams haveing a shot of winning a team title as we saw today. Pt.Pleasant or Independence will have more kids at the state tournament the next 3 years than any northern team in the state, mark my words. Im also not saying a team from Region 2 couldn't come in the mix, but historically saying the Teams in Region 1 are normally the teams who have a shot at winning a team title.

Diamond

Postby Diamond » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:31 am

vortexfan wrote:Really aaacoach18?

I don't think it is good for the sport! If we as fans do not speak up to the decision makers about this.

I think I saw a wrestler in AAA with a record of 4-20. Vortex fan your complaint is legitimate. Unfortunately many teams will happily sneak an average kid into a higher finish and that coach will laud himself to the school, parents and fans about his ability to manufacture quality wrestlers while the fact remains, a flawed system severely prevents the proper order from being achieved.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:35 am

Diamond wrote:
vortexfan wrote:Really aaacoach18?

I think I saw a wrestler in AAA with a record of 4-20. Vortex fan your complaint is legitimate. Unfortunately many teams will happily sneak an average kid into a higher finish and that coach will laud himself to the school, parents and fans about his ability to manufacture quality wrestlers while the fact remains, a flawed system severely prevents the proper order from being achieved.

I would like to invite all readers to simply look at the 4th place qualifier's record in all weight classes, in all regions.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:37 am

Thanks you Diamond very well stated!

snapshot

Postby snapshot » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:53 am

Speaking of wrestler records, how can they be modified at this point for the state pairings? I know our school had to submit records to the regional tournament before our county championship, so some are missing as many as 4 wins in their overall record. This is very important when looking at their career wins.

EFisher

Postby EFisher » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:14 am

I believe every year someone with a losing record gets to the states. The big complaint seems to be with AAA region 4, who is also sending wrestlers with a losing record to the state. I only saw three wrestlers not going to the state tournament with winning records one of which lost to the wrestler with a losing record. One of which has 6 matches more than the next wrestler on his team and the next wrestler down on the team had 12 less matches. Not sure how that would happen. As far as fairness let's see how many weight classes have the top four placers all from the same region.
It's a tough sport not everyone should get a trophy. I'm for the one state champion like the other post. Take time to congratulate and boost up the ones who try their best and lose instead of breaking them down further. And you wonder why the participation is down. Just reread some of your posts.

Just 1 1/2 cents.
Ed Fisher

aaacoach95

Postby aaacoach95 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:20 am

EFisher wrote: Take time to congratulate and boost up the ones who try their best and lose instead of breaking them down further. And you wonder why the participation is down. Just reread some of your posts.

Just 1 1/2 cents.
Ed Fisher

Well said. One of the best quotes I've seen on here.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:28 pm

EFisher wrote:I believe every year someone with a losing record gets to the states. The big complaint seems to be with AAA region 4, who is also sending wrestlers with a losing record to the state. I only saw three wrestlers not going to the state tournament with winning records one of which lost to the wrestler with a losing record. One of which has 6 matches more than the next wrestler on his team and the next wrestler down on the team had 12 less matches. Not sure how that would happen. As far as fairness let's see how many weight classes have the top four placers all from the same region.
It's a tough sport not everyone should get a trophy. I'm for the one state champion like the other post. Take time to congratulate and boost up the ones who try their best and lose instead of breaking them down further. And you wonder why the participation is down. Just reread some of your posts.

Just 1 1/2 cents.
Ed Fisher

It is a tough sport! I don't mean to come across demeaning or discredit any wrestler, but the saying not everyone should get a trophy is not the case here. Some weight classes in some regions all the participant has to do is simply show up weigh in and he gets his regional trophy or medal. This system is not right for this "tough" sport! I am not speaking for any individual kid or school I'm speaking for the improvement or change that needs to be made, the state tourney should be awarded to the most talented wrestlers not where a kid happens to reside in a particular region of the state! I know the naysayers will say it's been this way for years, but not like this year! The numbers are down statewide both wrestlers and overall enrollment, we need change with the times and explore looking at two regionals, or another way to improve this! Good luck to all the wrestlers and congrats to them all for sticking it all season!

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:42 pm

Instead of reducing to two regions ... Let's work together to attract more wrestlers to this great sport and fill four regions with full brackets.
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:49 pm

Don't disagree with that either Panther coach. I'm
Not sure what is so bad about two regionals though until participation increases.

FBISURVALINCEVAN1

Postby FBISURVALINCEVAN1 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:56 pm

I couldn't help but agree with the opening statement. It's an honor to make it to the state tournament no matter the record but I feel that yes the regional alignments need re evaluated. Yes there was 4th place finishers in AAA that qualified for states merely because there were only four wrestlers in the bracket.

If I recall correctly I think a gentleman said that there would be roughly 26 current ranked wrestlers in total coming from AA/A region 1 that would not be going to the state tournament. And after watching Day 2 of that region it was almost being at the state tournament itself. All those kids battled hard.

Yes it's quite an accomplishment that Indy qualified their whole team and that Point Pleasant qualified so many but if you would put either of those schools into Region 1 neither school would qualify as many. Not saying they wouldn't qualify a good bunch but still I doubt Indy would have boasted 12 into the finals at Region 1 as they did in Region 3 but they would still qualify probably 8-10 wrestlers.

This is not meant to stir the pot but yes I truly think the regions need to be re-evaluated across the board if we want the sport of wrestling to grow within our state.

Best of luck to all wrestlers at the tournament this coming week. We will see a lot of tough matches right off the bat!

Bearhug

Postby Bearhug » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:07 pm

FBISURVALINCEVAN1 wrote:I couldn't help but agree with the opening statement. It's an honor to make it to the state tournament no matter the record but I feel that yes the regional alignments need re evaluated. Yes there was 4th place finishers in AAA that qualified for states merely because there were only four wrestlers in the bracket.

If I recall correctly I think a gentleman said that there would be roughly 26 current ranked wrestlers in total coming from AA/A region 1 that would not be going to the state tournament. And after watching Day 2 of that region it was almost being at the state tournament itself. All those kids battled hard.

Yes it's quite an accomplishment that Indy qualified their whole team and that Point Pleasant qualified so many but if you would put either of those schools into Region 1 neither school would qualify as many. Not saying they wouldn't qualify a good bunch but still I doubt Indy would have boasted 12 into the finals at Region 1 as they did in Region 3 but they would still qualify probably 8-10 wrestlers.

This is not meant to stir the pot but yes I truly think the regions need to be re-evaluated across the board if we want the sport of wrestling to grow within our state.

Best of luck to all wrestlers at the tournament this coming week. We will see a lot of tough matches right off the bat!

Spot on

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:30 pm

FBISURVALINCEVAN1 wrote:I couldn't help but agree with the opening statement. It's an honor to make it to the state tournament no matter the record but I feel that yes the regional alignments need re evaluated. Yes there was 4th place finishers in AAA that qualified for states merely because there were only four wrestlers in the bracket.

I was at AAA region 4. It was the same thing. It was like being at a small version of the state tournament.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:22 am

A lot of mediocre records at State tourney if they are accurate.

RWWS

Postby RWWS » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:23 am

We should get rid of all the mediocre records

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:02 am

For THIRTY years REGION 1 AAA was like Region 4 this year. Guess what everyone survived and didn't see anybody standing up and saying yea I will go to Region 1. CMON MAN let it go! :)

RWWS

Postby RWWS » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:04 am

My man!

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:30 pm

forthekids wrote:For THIRTY years REGION 1 AAA was like Region 4 this year. Guess what everyone survived and didn't see anybody standing up and saying yea I will go to Region 1. CMON MAN let it go! :)

Maybe this is why things don't improve? I know Region 1 used to be tough and still has a lot of talent in that region and Region 4 speaks for itself. If we just move on nothing's will improve, it's not whining, it's doing what's best for the future that we should keep in mind. Everyone will survive regardless but why not look to improve the system. Let's enjoy what's been given to us but let's evaluate the situation and fix what needs fixed.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:09 pm

vortexfan wrote:
forthekids wrote:For THIRTY years REGION 1 AAA was like Region 4 this year. Guess what everyone survived and didn't see anybody standing up and saying yea I will go to Region 1. CMON MAN let it go! :)

Maybe this is why things don't improve? I know Region 1 used to be tough and still has a lot of talent in that region and Region 4 speaks for itself. If we just move on nothing's will improve, it's not whining, it's doing what's best for the future that we should keep in mind. Everyone will survive regardless but why not look to improve the system. Let's enjoy what's been given to us but let's evaluate the situation and fix what needs fixed.

I agree with Chris and Vortexfan on both counts.

South and PHS were in region 1 for many years and I witnessed some battles that were epic. However, the atmosphere and seriousness this weekend in region 4 was brutal! As mentioned in another thread, there are many ranked wrestlers left at home and will not be in Huntington. Some had the top 3 ranked wrestlers in their bracket. It only left one qualifying spot to fill.

Region 1 still has some good teams and wrestlers. Region 1 AA/A is also loaded with good teams and wrestlers and will have some good kids staying home.

Wrestling is a tough sport. If you are in a tough region, practice hard, suck it up and strap on your headgear tight! It's a war!

I also agree that we need to look at the regional alignment. We'll leave the pros to take care of that.
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:19 pm

AAA region 4 was tougher than any Former region 1 was in the past 10 years.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:21 pm

Gator wrote:
vortexfan wrote:

I agree with Chris and Vortexfan on both counts.

South and PHS were in region 1 for many years and I witnessed some battles that were epic. However, the atmosphere and seriousness this weekend in region 4 was brutal! As mentioned in another thread, there are many ranked wrestlers left at home and will not be in Huntington. Some had the top 3 ranked wrestlers in their bracket. It only left one qualifying spot to fill.

Region 1 still has some good teams and wrestlers. Region 1 AA/A is also loaded with good teams and wrestlers and will have some good kids staying home.

Wrestling is a tough sport. If you are in a tough region, practice hard, suck it up and strap on your headgear tight! It's a war!

I also agree that we need to look at the regional alignment. We'll leave the pros to take care of that.

The pros set up what we have now. I think they need some help from the fans, parents and coaches that are more knowledgeable of the details of WV wrestling. See a post I have forthcoming.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:28 pm

There is a concept called “continuous improvement”. It is employed by any individual or organization that wants to remain competitive as their environment changes. Leaving everything the way it always has been rarely allows the individual or organization to keep up. At the very best, they just survive. But even then, survival becomes more and more of a challenge.

Return to “High School Wrestling”