Bigger Might Be Better?????

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Bigger Might Be Better?????

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:41 am

Wrestlers are known for cutting weight. However, over in AA/A region 4 we have a couple of dudes that might be showing us the new way to success.

1. Paul Frampton/Nitro went from 182 to 195 and began achieving instant success at the Winner's Choice, WSAZ and today became a regional champion.

2. Austin Cook/Sissonville went from 182 to 285 recently and he too became a regional champion today.

The sport is constantly evolving.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

NhsMom

Re: Bigger Might Be Better?????

Postby NhsMom » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:26 am

While I agree that Frampton has been successful at 195, he moved up to 195 at Winners Choice with only one loss at 182. To say he achieved instant success is misleading. He has spent this entire year working and getting ready for the season and did a fine job in both weight classes.

Cook also had a very good record in his lower weight class.

These boys are both very talented wrestlers and regardless of their weight class, their talent is necessary to carry them forward against other very talented wrestlers.

We would be talking about them In The lower weight class also, but they are in the spotlight more so for bucking the trend.

Pintowin123

Postby Pintowin123 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:30 am

To be the MAN you need to beat the MAN

NhsMom

Postby NhsMom » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:17 am

Pintowin123 wrote:To be the MAN you need to beat the MAN

And both of those boys have done so.

crochog14

Postby crochog14 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:26 am

NhsMom wrote:

The one who moved to heavy weight completely and totally flat out side stepped THE MAN. I'm guessing he absolutely wanted no part of him after the incident a few years ago that cost THE MAN the honor of being a 4 time state champion.

Also , it is only the day after regionals.. stil a lot of wrasslin left to do. Both have great wrestlers who are ranked ahead of them that theyy will have to BEAT before they can say they "beat the man". Good luck in their attempt to do so. Hopefully they can say they are "THE MAN" when wrasslin concludes Saturday night.

- Crochog
CrocHog

Dal2233

Postby Dal2233 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:49 am

Crochog14 - Not that it matters, but a review of the records available on this site reveals that Mr. Frampton moved to 195 before the #1 wrestler in that weight class moved to 182.

sfc1

Postby sfc1 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:56 am

crochog14 wrote:
NhsMom wrote:

The one who moved to heavy weight completely and totally flat out side stepped THE MAN. I'm guessing he absolutely wanted no part of him after the incident a few years ago that cost THE MAN the honor of being a 4 time state champion.

Also , it is only the day after regionals.. stil a lot of wrasslin left to do. Both have great wrestlers who are ranked ahead of them that theyy will have to BEAT before they can say they "beat the man". Good luck in their attempt to do so. Hopefully they can say they are "THE MAN" when wrasslin concludes Saturday night.

- Crochog
There is no reason to dredge up the past. The young man is a senior and is trying to do what is the goal of all wrestlers. To win a state title. Let's let them wrestle. Good luck to Austin and Frampton

NhsMom

Postby NhsMom » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:03 pm

Dal2233 wrote:Crochog14 - Not that it matters, but a review of the records available on this site reveals that Mr. Frampton moved to 195 before the #1 wrestler in that weight class moved to 182.

This! True story!

crochog14

Postby crochog14 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:13 pm

NhsMom wrote:
Dal2233 wrote:Crochog14 - Not that it matters, but a review of the records available on this site reveals that Mr. Frampton moved to 195 before the #1 wrestler in that weight class moved to 182.

This! True story!

Nothing I said was ever in reference to the previous #1 from 195 lbs from Indy who is now #1 at 182...
CrocHog

Dal2233

Postby Dal2233 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:35 pm

It seemed as if your comments encouraged the inference that he was somehow trying to avoid "the man" by moving from 182 to 195, which obviously is not true given the person who was #1 at the time of the move. If that's not what you meant, then I apologize.

On a related note, it is interesting that it is somehow considered acceptable to lose weight to move into a more favorable weight class (which happens all the time), but gaining weight to accomplish the same purpose is frowned upon, which sort of ties back into the original theme of this post as expressed by Mr. Bearhugger.

sfc1

Postby sfc1 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:54 pm

Dal2233 wrote:It seemed as if your comments encouraged the inference that he was somehow trying to avoid "the man" by moving from 182 to 195, which obviously is not true given the person who was #1 at the time of the move. If that's not what you meant, then I apologize.

On a related note, it is interesting that it is somehow considered acceptable to lose weight to move into a more favorable weight class (which happens all the time), but gaining weight to accomplish the same purpose is frowned upon, which sort of ties back into the original theme of this post as expressed by Mr. Bearhugger.

Good post!!

FBISURVALINCEVAN1

Postby FBISURVALINCEVAN1 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:56 pm

crochog14 wrote:
NhsMom wrote:

- Crochog

I'm sorry but I've held this is for to long an it's comments and attitudes like this that show character. Of course your talking about Noah Adams. And he is a fine wrestler and probably one the best that will have ever come out of West Virginia. Yes it was a shame as to what happened to him his sophomore year but he has bounced back tremendously and learned from that moment, which is one thing makes him such a fine young man. Noah is a reckoning to anyone that steps foot across from him on the mat BUT saying that one incident that happened his sophomore year was the only thing stopping him from being a 4 timer, I beg to differ. If it wasn't for a sad injury that cost Hayden Stewart to injury default the rest of his finals match, that he was winning mind you, Adams would not have been a 4 timer either. Don't get me wrong Noah has worked very hard to be "the man" a title he very much deserves but there are completely other factors that fall into play as well.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:31 pm

FBISURVALINCEVAN1 wrote:
crochog14 wrote:
NhsMom wrote:

- Crochog

I'm sorry but I've held this is for to long an it's comments and attitudes like this that show character. Of course your talking about Noah Adams. And he is a fine wrestler and probably one the best that will have ever come out of West Virginia. Yes it was a shame as to what happened to him his sophomore year but he has bounced back tremendously and learned from that moment, which is one thing makes him such a fine young man. Noah is a reckoning to anyone that steps foot across from him on the mat BUT saying that one incident that happened his sophomore year was the only thing stopping him from being a 4 timer, I beg to differ. If it wasn't for a sad injury that cost Hayden Stewart to injury default the rest of his finals match, that he was winning mind you, Adams would not have been a 4 timer either. Don't get me wrong Noah has worked very hard to be "the man" a title he very much deserves but there are completely other factors that fall into play as well.

Let me step in here and possibly overstep my bounds and speak for the Adams family.

1. Lets forget about Noah's freshman year and his state title.
2. Lets forget about Noah's Sophomore year and being denied a state title due to an unintentional, but illegal slam.
3. To repeat, throw #1 and #2 out of the window. Down right insignificant details.
4. What many folks do not know is that Noah was injured weeks before regionals his sophomore year. I believe it was a broken bone in his foot. He did modified practice, won his regional, got DQ'ed in the states and finished third.
5. Weeks after a third place state tournament finish, Noah went on to win the NHSCA Nationals.
6. Junior season he won a state title.
7. Weeks after winning the state title his junior year, he went and won the Flonationals.
8. The following weekend, he won the NHSCA Nationals once again. I was there.
9. In April, he moved UP from 195 to 220 to challenge the returning World Champion for a spot on the world team. Noah lost the first match 2-1. During the match, he injured his elbow (reference youtube video and see where his opponent slung him twice while putting pressure against his elbow). I was there.
10. Despite not winning Gold at the World Team trials, Noah was selected to represent the United States at the Pan Am Games in both freestyle and Greco-Roman. He went to Peru, competed in both styles. He won two Gold medals, one each each style and also came home with the Most Outstanding Wrestler award.
11. This season, Noah has been competing at 220 despite weighing on average 205 pounds. He has beat at least two nationally ranked 220 pounders while building and protecting his undefeated record.
12. He was West Virginia's only Powerade Champion this season.
13. Something almost nobody knows is that Noah has not given up a takedown in a folkstyle match since January 2106. The two NHSCA National Championships, the FloNational Championship, The Powerade Championship and all matches in between were won without giving up a single takedown, a single reversal or back points.

Winning a state title is impressive. Winning two is better. Winning three is even better than two. Winning four is incredible.

However, if you are the man, you have to be the man across the border and even while competing in another country. Noah has proven he can do that.

Hint: Noah lifts a lot of weights, two to three times a week, even during football and wrestling season. Hint, hint, hint.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Bearhugger wrote:Wrestlers are known for cutting weight. However, over in AA/A region 4 we have a couple of dudes that might be showing us the new way to success.

1. Paul Frampton/Nitro went from 182 to 195 and began achieving instant success at the Winner's Choice, WSAZ and today became a regional champion.

2. Austin Cook/Sissonville went from 182 to 285 recently and he too became a regional champion today.

The sport is constantly evolving.

I am not an advocate for significant weight cutting. I believe a wrestler should stay in decent shape year round. I believe they should lift weights to the point that strength is not a factor if they wrestle 132 or 138 (6 pound difference). The weight training helps keep them from getting hurt too.

How on Earth the original post above evolved into all of this is interesting.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:39 pm

The good thing about wrestling is that "the man" is determined 14 times at the state tournament in AAA and then again is AA/A.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:43 pm

I have it under good authority that Frampton was cutting a tad too much to make 182. Decided to feel better and move up. Smart kid.

mscoach26

Postby mscoach26 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:53 pm

As the father of a wrestler who grew 4.5 inches and gained 12 lbs. during his sophomore wrestling season I can empathize with moving up. My son was cutting from 109 on Mondays to 103 ( now 106 ) and making it easily. All of a sudden it seemed he weighed 123 and still tried to make 103. He did not tell us parents how much he was actually taking off. I knew he looked bigger but did not realize how much. Guys he destroyed early in the season were beating him because he was too weak. He moved up to 119 (weight class back then) and all was better. He was not avoiding anyone but the emergency room Doc.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:57 pm

mscoach26 wrote:As the father of a wrestler who grew 4.5 inches and gained 12 lbs. during his sophomore wrestling season I can empathize with moving up. My son was cutting from 109 on Mondays to 103 ( now 106 ) and making it easily. All of a sudden it seemed he weighed 123 and still tried to make 103. He did not tell us parents how much he was actually taking off. I knew he looked bigger but did not realize how much. Guys he destroyed early in the season were beating him because he was too weak. He moved up to 119 (weight class back then) and all was better. He was not avoiding anyone but the emergency room Doc.

I have heard numerous stories like this.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:19 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
FBISURVALINCEVAN1 wrote:
crochog14 wrote:

- Crochog

Let me step in here and possibly overstep my bounds and speak for the Adams family.

2. Lets forget about Noah's Sophomore year and being denied a state title due to an unintentional, but illegal slam.
3. To repeat, throw #1 and #2 out of the window. Down right insignificant details.
4. What many folks do not know is that Noah was injured weeks before regionals his sophomore year. I believe it was a broken bone in his foot. He did modified practice, won his regional, got DQ'ed in the states and finished third.
5. Weeks after a third place state tournament finish, Noah went on to win the NHSCA Nationals.
7. Weeks after winning the state title his junior year, he went and won the Flonationals.
9. In April, he moved UP from 195 to 220 to challenge the returning World Champion for a spot on the world team. Noah lost the first match 2-1. During the match, he injured his elbow (reference youtube video and see where his opponent slung him twice while putting pressure against his elbow). I was there.
10. Despite not winning Gold at the World Team trials, Noah was selected to represent the United States at the Pan Am Games in both freestyle and Greco-Roman. He went to Peru, competed in both styles. He won two Gold medals, one each each style and also came home with the Most Outstanding Wrestler award.
11. This season, Noah has been competing at 220 despite weighing on average 205 pounds. He has beat at least two nationally ranked 220 pounders while building and protecting his undefeated record.
13. Something almost nobody knows is that Noah has not given up a takedown in a folkstyle match since January 2106. The two NHSCA National Championships, the FloNational Championship, The Powerade Championship and all matches in between were won without giving up a single takedown, a single reversal or back points.

Winning a state title is impressive. Winning two is better. Winning three is even better than two. Winning four is incredible.

However, if you are the man, you have to be the man across the border and even while competing in another country. Noah has proven he can do that.

Hint: Noah lifts a lot of weights, two to three times a week, even during football and wrestling season. Hint, hint, hint.

Looks impressive on paper. But I've seen a WV wrestler place 2nd in the Cadet World tournament (not the trial to make the team, the actual tournament) and then only place 3rd the following year at WV states. Nothing in guaranteed. :)

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:38 pm

guard0544 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
FBISURVALINCEVAN1 wrote:

Looks impressive on paper. But I've seen a WV wrestler place 2nd in the Cadet World tournament (not the trial to make the team, the actual tournament) and then only place 3rd the following year at WV states. Nothing in guaranteed. :)

True. To put it mildly, there are very good chances that Noah Adams will win a state title next weekend.

keepitinthecircle

Postby keepitinthecircle » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:40 pm

guard0544 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
FBISURVALINCEVAN1 wrote:

Don't go by paper. Make it a point to watch Noah for yourself next weekend and in his future. Fine young man that's just starting with his accomplishments.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:47 pm

keepitinthecircle wrote:
guard0544 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

Don't go by paper. Make it a point to watch Noah for yourself next weekend and in his future. Fine young man that's just starting with his accomplishments.

He and 2 team mates already hit the weight room today at 1pm. Might be why they do not have any injuries (these 3) despite wrestling a rugged schedule????

IndyHart

Postby IndyHart » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Actually, that wrestler dropped down for the PowerAde Christmas tournament in December. Looking at the results on here, Frampton wrestled 182 in early January at the Pat Vance. Looks like Frampton didn't go up to 195 until the next week at Winner's Choice. If you look at the results for those two tournaments, though, the two have some common opponents.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:30 pm

A friend of mine several years ago cut weight his sophomore and junior year and struggled those seasons. His senior year he decided to not cut weight kept nutrition up and ended up making it to state finals!

Dal2233

Postby Dal2233 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:41 pm

IndyHart wrote:

Actually, that wrestler dropped down for the PowerAde Christmas tournament in December. Looking at the results on here, Frampton wrestled 182 in early January at the Pat Vance. Looks like Frampton didn't go up to 195 until the next week at Winner's Choice. If you look at the results for those two tournaments, though, the two have some common opponents.

Was looking at the January 14 match with Battlefield where he wrestled 195. The point was not to suggest a comparison between the two. The point was to show the kid wasn't running to any easy weight class precisely because the Independence wrestler is so good, not to mention all of the other great wrestlers in the class.

Pintowin123

Postby Pintowin123 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Don't blame a kid a bit for getting out of a meat grinder

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:15 pm

Why bring it up at all they are doing whats best for them and there team.
Comon bear your better then that.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:23 pm

noshowjoe wrote:Why bring it up at all they are doing whats best for them and there team.
Comon bear your better then that.

I recognized these two wrestlers for being innovative and showing the rest of the state that wrestling is not always about starving yourself in an effort to gain an advantage. If anything, that is probably the biggest reason why kids do not wrestle. They think they have to lose weight. Their moms think they have to starve.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:48 pm

I've never been a big advocate of cutting a bunch of weight to gain an advantage. I've taught my son to work out, lift weights and keep in shape all year round. He does this and wrestles within a few pounds, give or take, of his natural post workout weight. If you're that good of a wrestler and take care of yourself, it will shine through despite your weight class.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:20 am

matcoach90 wrote:I've never been a big advocate of cutting a bunch of weight to gain an advantage. I've taught my son to work out, lift weights and keep in shape all year round. He does this and wrestles within a few pounds, give or take, of his natural post workout weight. If you're that good of a wrestler and take care of yourself, it will shine through despite your weight class.

Good advice!

Return to “High School Wrestling”