The Regions Made the Pill Easier to Swallow

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

The Regions Made the Pill Easier to Swallow

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:36 pm

This is the first season that once the pill was announced, there were zero comments made. Usually "pill" discussions always happen after the pill is announced.

I figure the new regions were so shocking, the pill didn't matter as much. Plenty of good kids got put out through the regions.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

vortexfan

Re: The Regions Made the Pill Easier to Swallow

Postby vortexfan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:24 pm

Bearhugger wrote:This is the first season that once the pill was announced, there were zero comments made. Usually "pill" discussions always happen after the pill is announced.

I figure the new regions were so shocking, the pill didn't matter as much. Plenty of good kids got put out through the regions.

True!

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:28 pm

not arguing.....just curious. who were the top wrestlers who didnt make it through regional's? i haven't had a chance to comb through the results yet

sfc1

Postby sfc1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:37 pm

I believe South had 2 ranked kids on 138 and 145 that finished 5th in their region

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:55 pm

mscoach64 wrote:not arguing.....just curious. who were the top wrestlers who didnt make it through regional's? i haven't had a chance to comb through the results yet

There were many ranked wrestlers, last season state qualifiers and last season state placers that didn't make it. I will have a list on here in a few days.

magna145

Postby magna145 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:07 pm

At 113, Viars (Huntington) and Harper (Spring Valley). At 120 Talbott (Hurricane), and the two Flinn gentleman (Parkersburg South). From region 4, AAA.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:06 pm

I see what u did there Bear.. : ;)

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:14 pm

magna145 wrote:At 113, Viars (Huntington) and Harper (Spring Valley). At 120 Talbott (Hurricane), and the two Flinn gentleman (Parkersburg South). From region 4, AAA.

Here are ones i know of:
113 - #6 Harper, Spring Valley
113 - #9 Viars, Huntington
120 - #7 Talbott, Hurricane
120 - #9 Salmons, Cabell Midland
132 - #6 Dempsey, Huntington
132 - #7 Isabell, George Washington
132 - #8 Blake, Cabell Midland
138 - #8 Flinn, South
145 - #7 Flinn, South
152 - #10 Thomas, Hurricane
170 - #7 Hartley, Cabell Midland
182 - #10 Moler, Parkersburg
285 - #10 Chance, Hurricane

Of the 13 ranked wrestlers that didn't qualify, 12 are from Region 4 with the other one being from Region 3. But take the rankings with a grain of salt. Most of these wrestlers are trainable, and an unrank wrestler with an early season lost may not happen again later in the year.

I also like to give a shout out to Region 2. They have taken an undeserved beat down on the forum this past year. There are some great wrestlers in the Eastern Panhandle but the geography and finances does not allow a lot of travel to the rest of the state to get a good look at what quality they actual have. They are somewhat like the wrestler from parts unknown in professional wrestling. I look forward to seeing what Region 2 brings to the State Tournament every year even though they may not have the name recognition to the rest of the state.

The last time I had a conversation with my friend Coach Bill Whittingham, he was distraught at what the expansion of the new school Spring Mills was doing to his team. He was losing half of his team that would be attending Spring Mills and he was losing a lot of momentum he had built over the years at Hedgesville. Bill is a great enthusiastic coach and loves the sport as much as anyone I've come across. I'm sure he is aware of the lack of quantity in the panhandle and is doing his part to build those numbers up. Instead of taking a beat down about numbers, Bill should be encouraged in the work he is doing for the sport and what he has accomplished.

I am also anxious to see some of the wrestlers from the panhandle that have competed at Jr. States and were competitive. The Eastern Panhandle always brought great talent to Jr. States. One wrestler whose talent caught my eye in Middle School is #9 ranked Jace Bradbury of Washington. A freshman and regional champion with a 36-9 record was tough as nails in the middle school ranks. He's wrestling at 170 pounds where he is competing against a lot of upperclassman. I am sure there are others that may have slipped past me but I looked for Bradbury (a New England native whose family transferred to the DC area) as one underdog I think others will take notice of. So don't be fooled by the numbers, there are quality wrestlers in Region 2.

Good luck to everyone this weekend. - Brent

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:30 pm

Keep in mind that there may be some wrestlers who were in the Top 10 before the regionals who drop out of the Top Ten as a result of what happened at the regionals. Conversely, there may be some previously unranked werstlers who enter the top ten.
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:29 pm

admin wrote:Keep in mind that there may be some wrestlers who were in the Top 10 before the regionals who drop out of the Top Ten as a result of what happened at the regionals. Conversely, there may be some previously unranked werstlers who enter the top ten.

Yes. That is why I plan to use the February 15th, 2017 rankings for all further friendly discussions and debates with all of my wrestling friends. I will not recognize the final rankings. It only skews the season long realities.

magna145

Postby magna145 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:13 am

Bearhugger wrote:
admin wrote:Keep in mind that there may be some wrestlers who were in the Top 10 before the regionals who drop out of the Top Ten as a result of what happened at the regionals. Conversely, there may be some previously unranked werstlers who enter the top ten.

Yes. That is why I plan to use the February 15th, 2017 rankings for all further friendly discussions and debates with all of my wrestling friends. I will not recognize the final rankings. It only skews the season long realities.

I agree 100%!

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:54 am

magna145 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

I agree 100%!

I second that 100%

Return to “High School Wrestling”