Enormous # of matches on records

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Panther_coach

Enormous # of matches on records

Postby Panther_coach » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Checking out the AAA brackets and seeing kids with over 65 matches on their record. They could not have gotten a lot at regionals because the brackets were not that large (Bearhugger made sure I knew that! LOL) I know when I coached I was able to get my kids just over 50 per season by attending mainly 2 day duals events with 10 matches guaranteed (5 per day) but over 65 seems really high to me. Have the number of weigh ins changed? I am not casting any dispersion or disrespect at all, just wondering how some kids got that many. I would think in bracketed events they would have to lose in the first round and fight their way back for third in 32 or 64 man brackets all season so they must have wrestled a lot of individual pool or large 2 day team events. Can someone enlighten an old man? I always tried to get my kids the maximum number of matches possible and was just wondering how they were able to pull this off!?
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

dontlikethelights

Re: Enormous # of matches on records

Postby dontlikethelights » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:19 pm

If my memory serves me right my senior year we had 5 dual or pool tournaments; so at 9 matches that's 45 matches for 10 weigh ins. For bracketed tournaments we went to Braxton County, Pat Vance, WSAZ's and MSAC's. At that time they were all at least 16 man bracket tournaments, assuming one places, that would give you 5 matches a meet or 20 for the last 8 weigh ins. Add in regionals and states and 65-70 matches is feasible. I finished the season with 64 matches that year.

-Ian

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:36 pm

But states have not happened yet. Just seems like a ton of matches. Guess my old memory is faulty.
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:15 pm

Panther_coach wrote:Checking out the AAA brackets and seeing kids with over 65 matches on their record. They could not have gotten a lot at regionals because the brackets were not that large (Bearhugger made sure I knew that! LOL) I know when I coached I was able to get my kids just over 50 per season by attending mainly 2 day duals events with 10 matches guaranteed (5 per day) but over 65 seems really high to me. Have the number of weigh ins changed? I am not casting any dispersion or disrespect at all, just wondering how some kids got that many. I would think in bracketed events they would have to lose in the first round and fight their way back for third in 32 or 64 man brackets all season so they must have wrestled a lot of individual pool or large 2 day team events. Can someone enlighten an old man? I always tried to get my kids the maximum number of matches possible and was just wondering how they were able to pull this off!?

65 is an unprecedented number. I forget the weigh in allowance now, is it 16? That's 8 two day duals, assuming you wrestled no bracketed tournaments, no tris, no duals, no quads, no single day duals tournaments, and no conference tournament.
Normally a two day dual tournament will get you 8-10 matches. Mostly 8 unless the tournament is very well ran. Even WP duals (great tournament) only nets you 8, and you can count on a few forfeits in those 8.
64-80 total assuming you ONLY wrestle 2 day duals tournaments.
Quite a schedule they must have put together.
Like you said, not throwing any shade here, but that number of matches is quite impressive, and I'd love to know how they got it done.
I can't imagine getting a school system to send you to a tournament like that 8x a year.
sentenceseller

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:22 pm

Panther_coach wrote:Checking out the AAA brackets and seeing kids with over 65 matches on their record. They could not have gotten a lot at regionals because the brackets were not that large (Bearhugger made sure I knew that! LOL) I know when I coached I was able to get my kids just over 50 per season by attending mainly 2 day duals events with 10 matches guaranteed (5 per day) but over 65 seems really high to me. Have the number of weigh ins changed? I am not casting any dispersion or disrespect at all, just wondering how some kids got that many. I would think in bracketed events they would have to lose in the first round and fight their way back for third in 32 or 64 man brackets all season so they must have wrestled a lot of individual pool or large 2 day team events. Can someone enlighten an old man? I always tried to get my kids the maximum number of matches possible and was just wondering how they were able to pull this off!?

65 is an unprecedented number. I forget the weigh in allowance now, is it 16? That's 8 two day duals, assuming you wrestled no bracketed tournaments, no tris, no duals, no quads, no single day duals tournaments, and no coference tournament.
Normally a two day dual tournament will get you 8-10 matches. Mostly 8 unless the tournament is very well ran. Even WP duals (great tournament) only nets you 8, and you can count on a few forfeits in those 8.
64-80 total assuming you ONLY wrestle 2 day duals tournaments.
Quite a schedule they must have put together.
Like you said, not throwing any shade here, but that number of matches is quite impressive.
I can't imagine getting a school system to send you to a tournament like that 8x a year.
sentenceseller

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:50 pm

Regionals and states do not count towards their 18 allowed weigh ins. Since a 2 day tournament with 5 or more teams counts as 2 weigh ins and a wrestler can get 5 matches per day, a wrestler could attend 9 two day tournaments and get 10 matches per two day tournament resulting in a maximum of 90 matches per season, not counting regionals and states. Adding in regionals and states, if a wrestler won out at both, he could have as many as 96 matches. If a wrestler lost the first match at regionals and states and then wrestled back to the 3rd place match he could end up with 96-100 matches.

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:25 pm

So it's 18, not 16. That makes it more feasible. Good job to them.
That Eastern panhandle has wrestlers, like I said. They just don't vote in the popularity polls,
Hampshire hanging out in a tie for 3rd right now, I see. They''ll drop some, but they're cemented into the top 10.
sentenceseller

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:51 am

Yes, it's possible to get beyond 55 matches, but I've done this many years, and getting over 55 is a pretty good trick. For one, nobody does wrestle 9 two-day duals tournaments and there aren't 9 two-day duals to go to if you wanted to. Maybe not 9 weeks of wrestling before conference, regional, state anyway. Rarely do you get 5 matches per day at these. 8-9 is good. Most teams have a quad in there somewhere, and a couple bracketed tournaments. A kid would have to be good enough to wrestle back through consolation rounds to pick up a couple extra matches. If he was good enough to get in the finals, he probably gets only 3-4 matches. If he was not skilled, he could be 2 and out. We have had challenging schedules in the past- we've gone to Point Pleasant Duals, Army National Guard Duals, and WV Duals along with Winner's Choice and WSAZ all in the same year, and we've still never had a wrestler get more than 55 matches. This is just my experience. For those who can get more than that,.. good for you.

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:23 am

aacoach70 wrote:Yes, it's possible to get beyond 55 matches, but I've done this many years, and getting over 55 is a pretty good trick. For one, nobody does wrestle 9 two-day duals tournaments and there aren't 9 two-day duals to go to if you wanted to. Maybe not 9 weeks of wrestling before conference, regional, state anyway. Rarely do you get 5 matches per day at these. 8-9 is good. Most teams have a quad in there somewhere, and a couple bracketed tournaments. A kid would have to be good enough to wrestle back through consolation rounds to pick up a couple extra matches. If he was good enough to get in the finals, he probably gets only 3-4 matches. If he was not skilled, he could be 2 and out. We have had challenging schedules in the past- we've gone to Point Pleasant Duals, Army National Guard Duals, and WV Duals along with Winner's Choice and WSAZ all in the same year, and we've still never had a wrestler get more than 55 matches. This is just my experience. For those who can get more than that,.. good for you.

I agree that it's quite difficult, but I guess it's been done.
I wouldn't want to do it anyways. Spend all season building up for a chance to win bracketed regional and state tournaments, and never wrestle a bracket along the way? Seems counter intuitive.
The only tournament in WV that I have seen turn out 10 matches in 2 days is the National Guard duals.
I believe Hedgesville used to have a big one, "Hedgesville Eagle duals?", but I haven't seen anything about it in years. I believe they were getting 10 there.
sentenceseller

Return to “High School Wrestling”