AAA 145, 152, 170 WHAT?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
brad32bury

Re: AAA 145, 152, 170 WHAT?

Postby brad32bury » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:12 pm

Based on WVSSAC's own logic those that came in contact with, shouldn't the entire Huntington team be affected and contagious? Their own alert stated if there WERE NOT open lesions they are NOT contagious.

phsnate

Postby phsnate » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:26 pm

Herpes is only contagious when there are blisters. What is with this 3 week incubation period? They act like you gonna get herpes just by touching someone who has herpes. Just because you touch the arm of someone with herpes, doesn't mean you gonna get herpes. Seriously, what doctors are they referring to on these matters?

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:32 pm

Test
sentenceseller

NhsMom

Postby NhsMom » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:11 pm

phsnate wrote:Herpes is only contagious when there are blisters. What is with this 3 week incubation period? They act like you gonna get herpes just by touching someone who has herpes. Just because you touch the arm of someone with herpes, doesn't mean you gonna get herpes. Seriously, what doctors are they referring to on these matters?

It can be contagious without lesions

https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/comm ... herpes.htm

http://mddk.com/herpes-gladiatorum.html

http://www.dhhr.wv.gov/oeps/disease/Ato ... _sheet.pdf

The WV reference specifically states the virus can shed for several weeks after the lesions have healed

B.Starkey

Postby B.Starkey » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:53 am

Check out the article on flowrestling website. Explains the whole situation.

bananasplitya

Postby bananasplitya » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:37 pm

My child wrestled, and he got to experience the state tournament and feel what it was like to walk out in the spotlight, with the lights dimmed, on the stage with hundreds of people watching and has since graduated so this does not affect me, however I just want to know...How can you do this to these kids that have worked all season for this? Practices, making weight, the hunger to win and get that chance to prove that they are the very best in front of all those who came to see? Oh yeah they will still get to wrestle, in a couple weeks, with a few people that will come to watch, on a school night, at a different location. The experience of competing in this completion at Huntington is like no other. The anticipation, the family and friend time spent together, the excitement is amazing. How can you tell 3 weight classes they won't get to experience this? That they have to compete in a few weeks on a week night without all the same experience that everyone else gets? What about those who had hotel rooms, time off work, watched their weight so closely? If someone showed signs of a skin condition then they should be scratched and the alternate should take their place. How can you limit this to 3 weights anyways when the wrestlers wrestle and warm up on the same mats? I just can't believe this has happened and it saddens me. I sure hope that whom every made this decision that they would never let something like this happen again and rob these kids of a once in a lifetime experience.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:44 pm

Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:58 pm

bananasplitya wrote:My child wrestled, and he got to experience the state tournament and feel what it was like to walk out in the spotlight, with the lights dimmed, on the stage with hundreds of people watching and has since graduated so this does not affect me, however I just want to know...How can you do this to these kids that have worked all season for this? Practices, making weight, the hunger to win and get that chance to prove that they are the very best in front of all those who came to see? Oh yeah they will still get to wrestle, in a couple weeks, with a few people that will come to watch, on a school night, at a different location. The experience of competing in this completion at Huntington is like no other. The anticipation, the family and friend time spent together, the excitement is amazing. How can you tell 3 weight classes they won't get to experience this? That they have to compete in a few weeks on a week night without all the same experience that everyone else gets? What about those who had hotel rooms, time off work, watched their weight so closely? If someone showed signs of a skin condition then they should be scratched and the alternate should take their place. How can you limit this to 3 weights anyways when the wrestlers wrestle and warm up on the same mats? I just can't believe this has happened and it saddens me. I sure hope that whom every made this decision that they would never let something like this happen again and rob these kids of a once in a lifetime experience.

What about all the kids who show no signs of a skin condition but were otherwise going to be told they get no state tournament experience at all? I prefer the postponed alternative than excluding many potential champs who have no visible skin issues. Let them have their state tournament experience.

HurricaneWrestler

Postby HurricaneWrestler » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:37 pm

I like the part in the flowrestling article that reads "somehow were able to compete in the region 4 tournament".

usna

Postby usna » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:03 am

You pass skin check you wrestle - you fail skin check you don't.
It really doesn't need to be anymore complicated than that.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:22 am

B.Starkey wrote:As Mr. Miller said, this was a WVSSAC decision and Rob Archer, who was very close to the situation, was quoted in the paper as stating "this is the best thing they could've done."

Now we all have to live by the decision. I think the silver lining to this decision is that no wrestler will be held out for precautionary reasons.

Mine was.

Jchap8750

Postby Jchap8750 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:25 am

usna wrote:You pass skin check you wrestle - you fail skin check you don't.

Isn't that how it normally is? I'm still confused why some went home yet others were delayed for a few weeks

usna

Postby usna » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:34 am

Jchap8750 wrote:
usna wrote:You pass skin check you wrestle - you fail skin check you don't.

Isn't that how it normally is? I'm still confused why some went home yet others were delayed for a few weeks

Yes it is.

MsHarper 65

Postby MsHarper 65 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:43 am

Total shame. The sport and the fairness at higher levels is showing such pathetic decline. My son was affected by this. He had no lesions and passed skin check. If he becomes infected prior to make up date...I'm sure it won't get delayed again for him!!! No matter, the glory is gone, the adrenaline Squelched and make up date will hold lil to no excitement for those affected, parents, fans, coaches and all involved. Let's face it...Season is over as of SAT night. I'm thoroughly disgusted and feel plenty of political crap surrounding this...Home cooking at it's finest. Screw WVSSAC. They really blew this one.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:58 am

MsHarper 65 wrote:Total shame. The sport and the fairness at higher levels is showing such pathetic decline. My son was affected by this. He had no lesions and passed skin check. If he becomes infected prior to make up date...I'm sure it won't get delayed again for him!!! No matter, the glory is gone, the adrenaline Squelched and make up date will hold lil to no excitement for those affected, parents, fans, coaches and all involved. Let's face it...Season is over as of SAT night. I'm thoroughly disgusted and feel plenty of political crap surrounding this...Home cooking at it's finest. Screw WVSSAC. They really blew this one.

Nobody I talked to was happy about this situation. However, your son needs to continue to train and hopefully go and compete. Good luck
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:15 am

MsHarper 65 wrote:Total shame. The sport and the fairness at higher levels is showing such pathetic decline. My son was affected by this. He had no lesions and passed skin check. If he becomes infected prior to make up date...I'm sure it won't get delayed again for him!!! No matter, the glory is gone, the adrenaline Squelched and make up date will hold lil to no excitement for those affected, parents, fans, coaches and all involved. Let's face it...Season is over as of SAT night. I'm thoroughly disgusted and feel plenty of political crap surrounding this...Home cooking at it's finest. Screw WVSSAC. They really blew this one.

If someone failed the skin exam on Thursday they cannot wrestle on March 13 and 14. It wasn't postponed to allow in wrestlers who had failed the skin exam. It was postponed to help insure some who had passed the skin exam, but potentially had picked something up at regional, were not going to expose their competition to something that had not yet manifested symptoms.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:26 am

mike.carman wrote:
B.Starkey wrote:As Mr. Miller said, this was a WVSSAC decision and Rob Archer, who was very close to the situation, was quoted in the paper as stating "this is the best thing they could've done."

Now we all have to live by the decision. I think the silver lining to this decision is that no wrestler will be held out for precautionary reasons.

Mine was.

When they say "precautionary reasons" I believe they are referring to kids having nothing on their skin at weigh ins, but who it was known there had been exposure at the regional tournament...so there was concern of them potentially having picked up something; as opposed to someone who did not pass the skin exam due to there already being something on their skin.

usna

Postby usna » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:07 am

I agree, they really should have stayed on standard protocol.
Pass skin check you wrestle, fail you don't.

NhsMom

Postby NhsMom » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:30 am

guard0544 wrote:
mike.carman wrote:

Mine was.

When they say "precautionary reasons" I believe they are referring to kids having nothing on their skin at weigh ins, but who it was known there had been exposure at the regional tournament...so there was concern of them potentially having picked up something; as opposed to someone who did not pass the skin exam due to there already being something on their skin.

And again, to clarify, Herpes Simplex 1 is not something you can treat with an antibiotic and get rid of unless you are exposed again. It is a lifelong infection which can then be spread even further to that Wrestlers family or friends. If they have a family member who is immune suppressed be cause of illness such as cancer and chemo or organ transplant and anti rejection medd, it can be disastrous.

This is not ringworm and impetigo. There are long term consequences and life long repercussions.

B.Starkey

Postby B.Starkey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 am

Yes guard0544, that is what I was trying to say. My son had simply come in contact with the affected wrestler so he was being disqualified from the tournament as a "precaution" even though he had no lesions or symptoms and still doesn't have any today. This situation and its handling was just wrong on a whole lot of levels.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:11 am

guard0544 wrote:

If someone failed the skin exam on Thursday they cannot wrestle on March 13 and 14. It wasn't postponed to allow in wrestlers who had failed the skin exam. It was postponed to help insure some who had passed the skin exam, but potentially had picked something up at regional, were not going to expose their competition to something that had not yet manifested symptoms.

Sorry man but that is simply not true. They were still arguing on that yesterday. The whole situation has bee completely unfair to everyone. Not just the weight classes involved.

brad32bury

Postby brad32bury » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:32 am

The kids will need practice partners, those partners wrestled, practiced or drilled with possible candidates over the weekend that could spread it to them, in theory, correct? Isn't that why they postponed those classes? If those exposed at some point show a skin issue or even if something completely new comes up, will they postpone it yet again? Nope.

http://www.journal-news.net/sports/spor ... jus-bekoz/

HurricaneWrestler

Postby HurricaneWrestler » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:51 am

This is what happens when the person in charge of wrestling doesn't have the first clue about wrestling. I liked when during the coaches meeting a bunch of coaches yelled out... "how many years did you wrestle or coach wrestling?"

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:01 pm

As a former wrestler, coach and father of a wrestler, this infection is the scariest problem when it comes to our sport. As someone mentioned, ring worm and impetigo/staph can be healed... herpes cannot. I feel for all involved in this situation, especially those who showed no signs of infection. However, I would be so worried if my son had come into contact with someone known to have the infection.

I know it takes time from practice, but we hold skin checks every day. It is on the coaches, parents and the wrestlers themselves to be responsible and check for skin infections religiously.

Good luck to all the wrestlers who have yet to compete for their championship.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:08 pm

usna wrote:

I agree, they really should have stayed on standard protocol.
Pass skin check you wrestle, fail you don't.

I agree. If this would have been followed, there would be no controversy, no inconsistency, no problem.

There would have been three additional wrestlers disqualified and the state tournament would be completed today.

Lets not forget that there were many. many TOP contenders who missed the state tournament due to knee injures, elbow injuries, non-skin related illnesses, etc.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:02 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
usna wrote:
MsHarper 65 wrote:There would have been three additional wrestlers disqualified and the state tournament would be completed today.

Bearhugger: I don't know how this can be known. I am told that some or all of these wrestlers DID weigh-in and have their skin check on Thursday, but since they didn't wrestle, it is not publically known who would have or would not have been on the bracket.

With due respect, do not assume too much... (smile)
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

Redskinnation

Postby Redskinnation » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:07 pm

Is anyone gonna be called up on the carpet and be held accountable??????

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:28 pm

Redskinnation wrote:Is anyone gonna be called up on the carpet and be held accountable??????

There is no way to hold anyone accountable. The State of WV will not interfere with the application of rules by the WVSSAC. They have complete autonomy. Meaning there is no forum to call anyone to the carpet for this. WV and the WVSSAC are taking a huge black eye across the nation because of the way this was handled.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:55 pm

admin wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
usna wrote:

Bearhugger: I don't know how this can be known. I am told that some or all of these wrestlers DID weigh-in and have their skin check on Thursday, but since they didn't wrestle, it is not publically known who would have or would not have been on the bracket.

With due respect, do not assume too much... (smile)

There were three wrestlers from one school that were reported to have a skin issue. One scratched before the state tournament due to this issue.

If the ongoing season protocol would have been followed, weigh in, pass/fail the skin check and then wrestle, then these three wrestlers would have been held out. A fifth place winner would have moved up and wrestling would have occurred.

There was not any situation all season long (that I know of or anybody else knew of), where "we" went back in time and quarantined previous opponents (of contaminated wrestlers) from current competition.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:01 pm

NO ONE would have moved up. Once weighs in start that is it. Just like if a kid did not make weight! At this point and time it is what it is! Can't fix it or change it!

Return to “High School Wrestling”