AAA 145, 152, 170 WHAT?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Re: AAA 145, 152, 170 WHAT?

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:12 pm

forthekids wrote:NO ONE would have moved up. Once weighs in start that is it. Just like if a kid did not make weight! At this point and time it is what it is! Can't fix it or change it!

One wrestler scratched. His replacement moved up. His team mate was known to have a skin problem BEFORE Thursday. Another replacement could have moved up.

Yes, it is what it is. However, we need to learn from this so we do not relive the same situation next season but say "it is what it WAS".
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

usna

Postby usna » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:14 pm

forthekids wrote:NO ONE would have moved up. Once weighs in start that is it. Just like if a kid did not make weight! At this point and time it is what it is! Can't fix it or change it!

Actually it is common for alternates to be on hand for those types of situations. Happens more than people realize.
Regardless, it should have been handled like any other tournament nationwide would have handled it.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:33 pm

Bearhugger wrote: There were three wrestlers from one school that were reported to have a skin issue. One scratched before the state tournament due to this issue.

If the ongoing season protocol would have been followed, weigh in, pass/fail the skin check and then wrestle, then these three wrestlers would have been held out.

Bearhugger:

1) It is a matter of public record that two wresters were scratched from the tournament on Feb 22:
AAA 220 - Scratch T3 Caleb Persinger, Woodrow Wilson
AAA 145: Scratch T4 Clayton Stewart, Huntington

It is not a matter of public record as to why wrestlers may be scratched from a tournament or dual meet. Perhaps they got the flu or came down with some other medical malady. Perhaps they were injured in practice on Monday. Perhaps there was a death in the family. Perhaps they quit the team. Who knows?

Since 220 was wrestled, you must be referring to three wrestlers from Huntington.

One was scratched.

I have it on EXCELLENT authority that Huntington's 152 pound contestant was present at the Civic Center on Thursday, made weight, passed the skin check, and was ready to wrestle if the 152 weight class had been contested.

Huntington did not have an entry at 170.

Sooo, what are you talking about?????
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

masonbailey

Postby masonbailey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:57 pm

Unfortunately herpes is very common among college wrestling programs...you are risking getting herpes every time you get on the mat. When you've been around the sport from the lowest to the highest levels, you learn that and do things to prevent it, but you can't prevent it 100% of the time.

I'll save my comments on the whole situation, but for some to be "scared" if their son comes into contact with it is just silly to me.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:59 pm

admin wrote:
Bearhugger wrote: There were three wrestlers from one school that were reported to have a skin issue. One scratched before the state tournament due to this issue.

If the ongoing season protocol would have been followed, weigh in, pass/fail the skin check and then wrestle, then these three wrestlers would have been held out.

Bearhugger:

1) It is a matter of public record that two wresters were scratched from the tournament on Feb 22:
AAA 220 - Scratch T3 Caleb Persinger, Woodrow Wilson
AAA 145: Scratch T4 Clayton Stewart, Huntington

It is not a matter of public record as to why wrestlers may be scratched from a tournament or dual meet. Perhaps they got the flu or came down with some other medical malady. Perhaps they were injured in practice on Monday. Perhaps there was a death in the family. Perhaps they quit the team. Who knows?

Since 220 was wrestled, you must be referring to three wrestlers from Huntington.

One was scratched.

I have it on EXCELLENT authority that Huntington's 152 pound contestant was present at the Civic Center 0n Thursday, made weight, passed the skin check, and was ready to wrestle if the 152 weight class had been contested.

Huntington did not have an entry at 170.

Sooo, what are you talking about?????

I spent three days meeting new people and running into other people that I previously knew. I do not think I raised the skin/three weight class delay issue one time. However, everybody was talking about it. Nobody had any knowledge of the logic used to make such a historical and landmark decision. The decision did impact hundreds of people and "altered the attitudes" of thousands. A better public message could and should have been made.

Yes, I just read in a private message from a friend that Huntington's 152 pounder was cleared. I learned this 10 minutes before reading your post on the matter. This information was received today, Sunday, February 26th. It was known Thursday, February 23rd.

However, thousands of people were in attendance and having a better understanding of what is going on is always a good thing.

Huntington had an entry at 170 at the regionals. Why was the 170 pound class held up?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:18 pm

masonbailey wrote:Unfortunately herpes is very common among college wrestling programs...you are risking getting herpes every time you get on the mat. When you've been around the sport from the lowest to the highest levels, you learn that and do things to prevent it, but you can't prevent it 100% of the time.

I'll save my comments on the whole situation, but for some to be "scared" if their son comes into contact with it is just silly to me.

Avoiding skin diseases and avoiding injuries are more important today than spending the off season learning a "17th variation of an armbar" at some camp.

I would like to see the knowledgeable folks share their input for the masses to benefit from.

masonbailey

Postby masonbailey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:26 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
masonbailey wrote:Unfortunately herpes is very common among college wrestling programs...you are risking getting herpes every time you get on the mat. When you've been around the sport from the lowest to the highest levels, you learn that and do things to prevent it, but you can't prevent it 100% of the time.

Avoiding skin diseases and avoiding injuries are more important today than spending the off season learning a "17th variation of an armbar" at some camp.

I would like to see the knowledgeable folks share their input for the masses to benefit from.

I agree it is very important to avoid injuries and skin diseases. I also believe going to camps help in the long run. Not necessarily a technique camp but maybe a Jordan camp or something to wrestle some other competition. As well as all the national tourneys you can wrestle in nowadays.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:49 pm

The "word" I am getting now is that if the wrestlers showed up, weighed in, passed the skin test..............they were placed into the brackets. If you are in the brackets, then you wrestle in March.

If you didn't weigh in or didn't pass the skin test, then you didn't make it into the brackets, thus you do not get to wrestle in March.

This word is coming from someone who was involved in the coaches meetings. The logic makes some sense.

I just wish a solid message would have been put together and communicated early on. My intel (whether 100% accurate or not) is coming on Sunday evening.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:01 am

I too have been around the sport from the lowest to the highest levels, and I am very cognizant of the risks when it comes to communicable diseases... So is my son, yet we still participate and contribute to this great sport despite the risks. However, I see no reason to make light of someone's concerns in reference to a incurable condition that seems to be becoming more of an issue in recent years. Guess some of are just "silly" that way.

Diamond

Postby Diamond » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:53 am

I'm curious how a communicable disease at a wrestling tournament was isolated to just 3 weight classes. Could it not have been transmitted from the affected wrestler to the mat surface and picked up by anyone?

aaacoach95

Postby aaacoach95 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:30 pm

The wvssac's sports medicine doctor made the statement during the announcement to the coaches on Thursday night that the condition is passed from skin to skin contact, not mat to skin contact.

usna

Postby usna » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:38 pm

matcoach90 wrote:

I too have been around the sport from the lowest to the highest levels, and I am very cognizant of the risks when it comes to communicable diseases... So is my son, yet we still participate and contribute to this great sport despite the risks. However, I see no reason to make light of someone's concerns in reference to a incurable condition that seems to be becoming more of an issue in recent years. Guess some of are just "silly" that way.

Just to try and slow the roll a little on HSV1 consideration - ("waist up" vs HSV2 waist down). Having been responsible for the control of blood borne and airborne pathogen PPE procedures/protocols, "transfer" training and other aspects to pathegons for a large health care facility I will try and shed some light on HSV1.

It might surprise people (or not) to know that the majority of the population are carriers in some form or fashion of HSV1. Cold sores, fever blisters, localized outbreaks sometimes caused from stress, all are linked to the HSV1. The majority of infections occur at a young age, even infancy or birth - A large % get it from a doting grandparent/parent/aunt/uncle etc. There was a good reason why kids don't like the doting parent grandparent :)
Transfer for HSV1 (how you get it) is almost always through direct (primary) contact - "Secondary" transfers are not likely - meaning the transfer isn't likely tot happen by you wrestling on the same mat right after someone with an outbreak did. Other skin outbreaks (bacterial) condition CAN be transferred via secondary contact so by all means keep those mats and equipment clean :)

It's a virus (viral) - and in many (if not most) it remains completely dormant their entire life and for others they may have an occasional outbreak. Everyone can have a different response to the virus as some seem to be more immune to it than others. Even those with high rates of outbreaks can and will lead a normal life. It's adaptive and can come and go over different times in someone's life, it can even switch gears from 1 to 2 in some rare cases....

Obviously, best practices and precautions should be taken when outbreaks are present, and this is for any type of outbreak. Avoiding direct contact to the outbreak area is always primary. Seeking medical attention when a serious outbreak occurs is the most important factor.

Misdiagnosis is fairly common on these types of outbreaks (viral versus bacterial) - there are so many different combinations of skin outbreaks, it is extremely difficult to know what the outbreak is just from observation. Even medical professionals will admit to this and usually they find out via trial by fire and see what medication works indicating what the outbreak was in fact by the response to the medication.

The commonality of all of these different scenarios is the protocol - When discovered, isolate from contact to others, disinfect/clean and seek medical evaluation asap. That is the easiest way to limit the affects.
There are many more dangerous versions of skin outbreaks that can be extremely dangerous if left untreated - not just in wrestling, but in the general population as well (we won't get into that)

The first line of defense is actually the coaching staff - Skin checks should be performed prior to each and every practice. When a skin issue is discovered, take care of it properly and do not pass it off. Coaches should understand the importance of this and take it very seriously. Coaches should also understand the importance of proper cleaning and disinfecting of their equipment. Probably more important is to understand the importance of keeping the practice area separate from the "street" area to limit that potential transfers that can occur. "Keep off the mats" - "wash your hands" and keep all wrestling equipment separate from the street (specially shoes). Reduce the daily exposure risks...

Best practices and common sense response should prevail to keep everyone safe while enjoying the sport.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:10 pm

usna wrote:
matcoach90 wrote:

Just to try and slow the roll a little on HSV1 consideration - ("waist up" vs HSV2 waist down). Having been responsible for the control of blood borne and airborne pathogen PPE procedures/protocols, "transfer" training and other aspects to pathegons for a large health care facility I will try and shed some light on HSV1.

It might surprise people (or not) to know that the majority of the population are carriers in some form or fashion of HSV1. Cold sores, fever blisters, localized outbreaks sometimes caused from stress, all are linked to the HSV1. The majority of infections occur at a young age, even infancy or birth - A large % get it from a doting grandparent/parent/aunt/uncle etc. There was a good reason why kids don't like the doting parent grandparent :)
Transfer for HSV1 (how you get it) is almost always through direct (primary) contact - "Secondary" transfers are not likely - meaning the transfer isn't likely tot happen by you wrestling on the same mat right after someone with an outbreak did. Other skin outbreaks (bacterial) condition CAN be transferred via secondary contact so by all means keep those mats and equipment clean :)

It's a virus (viral) - and in many (if not most) it remains completely dormant their entire life and for others they may have an occasional outbreak. Everyone can have a different response to the virus as some seem to be more immune to it than others. Even those with high rates of outbreaks can and will lead a normal life. It's adaptive and can come and go over different times in someone's life, it can even switch gears from 1 to 2 in some rare cases....

Obviously, best practices and precautions should be taken when outbreaks are present, and this is for any type of outbreak. Avoiding direct contact to the outbreak area is always primary. Seeking medical attention when a serious outbreak occurs is the most important factor.

Misdiagnosis is fairly common on these types of outbreaks (viral versus bacterial) - there are so many different combinations of skin outbreaks, it is extremely difficult to know what the outbreak is just from observation. Even medical professionals will admit to this and usually they find out via trial by fire and see what medication works indicating what the outbreak was in fact by the response to the medication.

The commonality of all of these different scenarios is the protocol - When discovered, isolate from contact to others, disinfect/clean and seek medical evaluation asap. That is the easiest way to limit the affects.
There are many more dangerous versions of skin outbreaks that can be extremely dangerous if left untreated - not just in wrestling, but in the general population as well (we won't get into that)

The first line of defense is actually the coaching staff - Skin checks should be performed prior to each and every practice. When a skin issue is discovered, take care of it properly and do not pass it off. Coaches should understand the importance of this and take it very seriously. Coaches should also understand the importance of proper cleaning and disinfecting of their equipment. Probably more important is to understand the importance of keeping the practice area separate from the "street" area to limit that potential transfers that can occur. "Keep off the mats" - "wash your hands" and keep all wrestling equipment separate from the street (specially shoes). Reduce the daily exposure risks...

Best practices and common sense response should prevail to keep everyone safe while enjoying the sport.

Good info

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:58 pm

Bearhugger wrote:

I am curious... how does one " avoid injuries"?
Is there a proven plan or training protocol that decreases risk of injury ? Is there a book out there?

masonbailey

Postby masonbailey » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:48 pm

usna wrote:
matcoach90 wrote:

Thanks for shedding the light, I guess I assumed everyone knew the difference. Very good info for all to read!

WVwrestlingfan

Postby WVwrestlingfan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:13 pm

See below, Straight from WVSSAC website. I wonder if enough care is taken? In the fall this bulletin came out. The information is out there. I have not personally seen the "The Mat Doc Skin Infection Pocket Reference" but wonder if it would have helped in this instance and was it used in this instance.

WEST VIRGINIA SECONDARY SCHOOL ACTIVITIES COMMISSION 2875 Staunton Turnpike, Parkersburg, WV 26104-7219
TO: FROM: DATE: SUBJECT:
TELEPHONE: 304-485-5494 E-MAIL: wvssac@wvssac.org FAX NUMBER: 304-428-5431 WEB SITE: http://www.wvssac.org
B U L L E T I N
Wrestling Coaches and Wrestling Officials Wayne Ryan, Assistant Executive Director September 2016
Skin Infections Awareness
It is the responsibility of wrestling coaches and officials to ensure that no wrestler par- ticipates while suffering from a skin infection/communicable disease. The health and well being of all participants must be a primary concern.
The WVSSAC has provided all wrestling coaches and officials with a copy of Dr. B.J. Ander- son The Mat Doc Skin Infection Pocket Reference. This reference guide helps wrestling personnel evaluate skin infections. Please contact the WVSSAC office if you need a re- placement copy.
The Communicable Skin Disease Form is required for any wrestler desiring to return to competition after having a communicable skin disease or is suspected of having a communi- cable skin disease or any other condition that makes participation appear inadvisable. This form must be completed in its entirety and signed by a physician before an official or coach allows an athlete to participate with a skin condition. This procedure refers to practice and all competition.
If there is any doubt or question regarding a skin condition, the athlete must be removed from practice/competition until cleared by a physician.
When in doubt, sit them out!

Sitting out from a competition is tough and to sit out for the state tournament is very tough for high school athlete. But the athletes and coaches need to be humble and think of the better good for the other participants. What is done is done, but this I think this needs to be a learning experience and as a collective wrestling state we need to make sure the participants get wrestle and not miss out from WV State Tournament.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:10 pm

Diamond wrote:
aaacoach95 wrote:The wvssac's sports medicine doctor made the statement during the announcement to the coaches on Thursday night that the condition is passed from skin to skin contact, not mat to skin contact.

Thank you, I didn't hear the announcement clearly. I just looked it up too.

Bearhugger wrote:
UpSouth wrote:He did'nt weigh in. They already said he is out and Flinn is in. I hope they don't some how reverse again.

The "word" I am getting now is that if the wrestlers showed up, weighed in, passed the skin test..............they were placed into the brackets. If you are in the brackets, then you wrestle in March.

If you didn't weigh in or didn't pass the skin test, then you didn't make it into the brackets, thus you do not get to wrestle in March.

This word is coming from someone who was involved in the coaches meetings. The logic makes some sense.

I just wish a solid message would have been put together and communicated early on. My intel (whether 100% accurate or not) is coming on Sunday evening.

It is my understanding the brackets are set. They remain the same as they were Thursday morning after weigh ins were complete. Only those who made weight and passed the skin exam are in. The matches have merely been postponed. Its a continuation of the tournament that already began (initial weigh ins completed). Only those who made weight and passed skin exam are in the bracket.

Diamond

Postby Diamond » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:42 am

Just go ahead and delete diamond. I wrote a simple statement not belittling or offending anyone and you remove it. You guys are ridiculous.

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:39 am

Diamond wrote:Just go ahead and delete diamond. I wrote a simple statement not belittling or offending anyone and you remove it. You guys are ridiculous.

Just go ahead and delete yourself.

fan234

Postby fan234 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:03 pm

Really this is a truly sincere question...who checks the refs? They were exposed at Region 4 AAA. They certainly had skin to skin contact with the winners of each match in the affected weight classes. They then had contact with wrestlers of other weight classes. Before the matches, are they checked at weigh in? I believe in the integrity of most men until money is involved. I still believe most men will try to do the right thing, all the time, regardless of consequences. Just wondered if there is professional protocol for this scenario. A docs opinion would help educate me on this situation as well.

Thanks, hope my post makes the cut.

Diamond

Postby Diamond » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:39 am

MaleMatMaid wrote:
Diamond wrote:Just go ahead and delete diamond. I wrote a simple statement not belittling or offending anyone and you remove it. You guys are ridiculous.

That wasn't even intended to make the board. This forum is so biased toward 2 teams and every compliment towards one is interpreted as an insult toward another. Thanks for your unwanted opinion MaleMatMaid(wtf is that? Lol)

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:49 am

Diamond wrote:
MaleMatMaid wrote:

That wasn't even intended to make the board. This forum is so biased toward 2 teams and every compliment towards one is interpreted as an insult toward another. Thanks for your unwanted opinion MaleMatMaid(wtf is that? Lol)

Cry me a river bro...I too have had posts deleted. Get over it, it happens. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. A matmaid in male form...duh! Oh and you're welcome! :D

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:36 pm

no 5th placer wrestler at the state tournament can move up because someone did not make weight. Once weigh ins start it is done deal. The 5th placers have to be notified before weigh ins they are wrestling and why the other person scratched. I

Return to “High School Wrestling”