Wood County Circuit Court Cases

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
brentsams

Wood County Circuit Court Cases

Postby brentsams » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:33 pm

here is a link to the article that appeared in Saturday's edition of the News and Sentinel
http://www.newsandsentinel.com/news/loc ... ournament/

RWWS

Re: Wood County Circuit Court Cases

Postby RWWS » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:00 pm

It is what it is at this point. I believe a date and location has been set to wrestle the 3 weight classes postponed. Good luck to all of the remaining competitors.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:12 pm

Did any other schools file injunctions?

Crusty1

Postby Crusty1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:48 am

I believe that Anthony was the only wrestler in AAA that was disqualified due to any type of skin infection at the state tournament. I believe that is the only reason that the injunction was filed. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander #FreeAnthony

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:24 am

the entire AAA tournament should have been postponed. there were only 2 options: 1. all wrestlers disqualified. 2. AAA postponed.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:31 am

Crusty1 wrote:I believe that Anthony was the only wrestler in AAA that was disqualified due to any type of skin infection at the state tournament. I believe that is the only reason that the injunction was filed. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander #FreeAnthony

Where this misses the mark is no weight class was postponed due to wrestlers failing the skin exam. It was postponed because there were medical experts concerned there could still be some risk with wrestlers who passed the skin exam.

Only those who passed the skin exam on Thursday are permitted to wrestle on March 13 and 14. So even if 138 had been postponed, it would not allow in a wrestler who failed the skin exam on Thursday.

keepitinthecircle

Postby keepitinthecircle » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:06 am

mscoach64 wrote:the entire AAA tournament should have been postponed. there were only 2 options: 1. all wrestlers disqualified. 2. AAA postponed.

Exactly! Sounds to me like there should be some investigation into how it got this far and some coaches held responsible.

Crusty1

Postby Crusty1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:25 am

guard0544 wrote:
Crusty1 wrote:I believe that Anthony was the only wrestler in AAA that was disqualified due to any type of skin infection at the state tournament. I believe that is the only reason that the injunction was filed. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander #FreeAnthony

Where this misses the mark is no weight class was postponed due to wrestlers failing the skin exam. It was postponed because there were medical experts concerned there could still be some risk with wrestlers who passed the skin exam.

Only those who passed the skin exam on Thursday are permitted to wrestle on March 13 and 14. So even if 138 had been postponed, it would not allow in a wrestler who failed the skin exam on Thursday.

It doesn't matter why it was postponed, it was postponed for one group and not another. How is that fair? I wasn't there but just a few things I was wondering about. Did all wrestlers at 145, 152, 170 weigh in and have their skin checked? My second question is, are you telling me that 160 was not affected? No one in these weights classes wrestled with a 160lber this week at practice?

Redskinnation

Postby Redskinnation » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:06 am

keepitinthecircle wrote:
mscoach64 wrote:the entire AAA tournament should have been postponed. there were only 2 options: 1. all wrestlers disqualified. 2. AAA postponed.

Exactly! Sounds to me like there should be some investigation into how it got this far and some coaches held responsible.

Not to hard to figure out where to start. It will never happen.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:19 am

guard0544 wrote:

Just an FYI, his skin form was overturned by the doctor on sight. He was diagnosed, treated and followed protocol. His form said he could compete. It wasn't good enough. The only reason the injunction was denied is because the bracket had already been started. If you want details I have them.

RWWS

Postby RWWS » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:47 am

I don't know what the right answer should have been but we will be discussing this tomorrow on my radio show starting at 6pm. Would love to have any and all callers reach out and voice their opinions/concerns. Please feel free to call (304)214-1600. If you are outside of the listening area you can pick up WKKX on I❤️️Radio or at the watchdognetwork.com.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:59 am

mike.carman wrote:
guard0544 wrote:

Just an FYI, his skin form was overturned by the doctor on sight. He was diagnosed, treated and followed protocol. His form said he could compete. It wasn't good enough. The only reason the injunction was denied is because the bracket had already been started. If you want details I have them.

Skin conditions can change overnight. What looked dry a day or several days before the tournament when a skin form was completed may be red and inflamed by the morning of the tournament. The doctor at weigh-ins eyeballing the condition that morning makes the call.

If two separate doctors at the tournament look at a skin condition and both decide a wrestler should not compete, and the tournament would then still allow the wrestler to compete because he had a skin form completed by another doctor one or more days prior to the tournament...that would be very irresponsible at best, and possibly grossly negligent.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:17 pm

guard0544 wrote:
mike.carman wrote:
guard0544 wrote:

Skin conditions can change overnight. What looked dry a day or several days before the tournament when a skin form was completed may be red and inflamed by the morning of the tournament. The doctor at weigh-ins eyeballing the condition that morning makes the call.

If two separate doctors at the tournament look at a skin condition and both decide a wrestler should not compete, and the tournament would then still allow the wrestler to compete because he had a skin form completed by another doctor one or more days prior to the tournament...that would be very irresponsible at best, and possibly grossly negligent.

I don't disagree. Read my last post if it gets posted.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:56 pm

mike.carman wrote:
guard0544 wrote:
mike.carman wrote:

I don't disagree. Read my last post if it gets posted.

Well it didn't get posted yet

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:19 pm

mike.carman wrote:
guard0544 wrote:

Based on what I am reading, we have an issue of "doctor vs. doctor". A kid thinks he is good to go and then another opinion says he is not. To me, this sounds like something that needs to be addressed for future concerns. It will happen next season. We should learn today and get ready.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

J.W.

Postby J.W. » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:05 pm

There is already a rule that covers that. Check section 2 article 3 and 4 of the NFHS rulebook. On site doctor can override medical form.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:53 pm

guard0544 wrote:
mike.carman wrote:
guard0544 wrote:

I honestly did not believe that Anthony should have passed his skin test. I honestly think the doctor was in the right. However, he was diagnosed, his diagnoses was agreed with, he was treated, his treatment was agreed with and his skin form was present at the time of weigh ins. He was not allowed to compete even though he followed protocol. Others, who did pass their skin test, have to wait until a later date to compete. If they passed they should have been allowed to wrestle at that time. Furthermore, the judge determined that Anthony's case had merit, the only reason he denied the petition for injunction was that the 138 bracket had already been started. Waiting until just before the tournament began was a strategic and cowardly move by the WVSSAC. The WVSSAC is out of control and the State offers no recourse for individuals to combat some of the unfair practices as they will not interfere with the application of WVSSAC rules by its officials. This leaves them in the very unique situation of having NO checks and balances with the way they govern sports in the State of WV.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:08 pm

J.W. wrote:There is already a rule that covers that. Check section 2 article 3 and 4 of the NFHS rulebook. On site doctor can override medical form.

No problem with that. However, there then needs to be a clearer definition of the pass/fail attributes on all of these skin issues. If I live on the outer tip of the Northern or Eastern panhandles and my doctor says my wrestler is good to compete, then I hope to compete.

I do not want to drive 5 to 6 hours, pay hundreds of dollars and then be disqualified at the weigh ins.

I have no dog in this fight but I bring this up for those who do.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”