New Forum Protocal

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

New Forum Protocal

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:50 am

The new and current practice of needing every post to be approved by a moderator is going to slow down and shut down the forum. Here is why:

1. Wrestling Fan #1 posts something.
2. It could take hours before it get approved.
3. It finally gets approved the following day.
4. Many hours later, Wrestling Fan #2 sees it. They respond.
5. Many hours later, their response is approved.

The back and forth flow of communication is shut down.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

admin
Site Admin

Re: New Forum Protocal

Postby admin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:00 am

Yeah, hopefully when things cool down a bit we can go back to SOP
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:09 am

admin wrote:Yeah, hopefully when things cool down a bit we can go back to SOP

I recommend you modify the forum rules to prevent what you are watching out for. Somebody breaks the new rules, throw them out.

The current events at the state tournament will be talked about forever. Disrupting the forum's free flow of conversation is an additional negative.

P.H.D.

Postby P.H.D. » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:57 am

Too politically correct for me.

usna

Postby usna » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:18 am

P.H.D. wrote:Too politically correct for me.

I agree

Jchap8750

Postby Jchap8750 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:07 am

What happened this weekend was wrong and everyone knows it. Sometimes the truth hurts. I can only imagine what wasn't allowed to be posted on here, but Examining every post to make sure we don't offend anyone or don't expose a cover up is wrong.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:14 am

Bearhugger wrote:
admin wrote:Yeah, hopefully when things cool down a bit we can go back to SOP

I recommend you modify the forum rules to prevent what you are watching out for. Somebody breaks the new rules, throw them out.

The current events at the state tournament will be talked about forever. Disrupting the forum's free flow of conversation is an additional negative.

Absolutely agree with you bearhugger

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:43 am

A few points ...
1. Doc has a great deal of time, energy and his own money invested in WV Mat
2. In today's litigious society and crazy court rulings, he must protect ( not coaches or programs as some think) but his website and his own skin ( no pun intended.)
3. You really would not believe some of the things people have tried to post here over the years - ex. "WrestlerA will not be wrestling, his girlfriend was pregnant and miscarried yesterday" or " WrestlerA will not be wrestling this year - he got arrested for ...." or "Wrestler A $H!@ in his singlet on Fri. night while wrestling at ..." There are many posts about low grades, drugs, medical conditions of all kinds, many that curse officials, many that allege collusion, and many filled with profanity. ... Doc has to protect himself and his website.
4. We, as a wrestling community, are richly blessed to have this site and forum ... Take a look at what some other states have.
5. As Doc said, this protocol is hopefully temporary.
6. Doc Miller or us moderators did not postpone anything or bar anyone from competition. Your well placed anger should be directed at those who were responsible. I sincerely doubt that that those who made these decisions will read or be effected by anything we post here.

I have used this website since it's inception and while I share your frustrations, I see why this protocol had to be put in place.
Just .02 from an old, retired guy trying to be Switzerland.

PS - Bearhugger, sorry I did not get to meet you for lunch with Gator on Friday. Gator and I both ate way too much.
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

gridironmike

Postby gridironmike » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:41 pm

Panther_coach wrote:A few points ...
4. We, as a wrestling community, are richly blessed to have this site and forum ... Take a look at what some other states have.

Amen. He owns it. He can run it as he sees fit. This website is unequivocally the premium sports website in West Virginia. It may not be as flashy as some other sites, but there is more information provided on here than on any other site by a looooong margin. It is a treasure honestly. Thanks Doc for keeping it rolling!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:10 pm

Panther_coach wrote:A few points ...
2. In today's litigious society and crazy court rulings, he must protect ( not coaches or programs as some think) but his website and his own skin ( no pun intended.)
3. You really would not believe some of the things people have tried to post here over the years - ex. "WrestlerA will not be wrestling, his girlfriend was pregnant and miscarried yesterday" or " WrestlerA will not be wrestling this year - he got arrested for ...." or "Wrestler A $H!@ in his singlet on Fri. night while wrestling at ..." There are many posts about low grades, drugs, medical conditions of all kinds, many that curse officials, many that allege collusion, and many filled with profanity. ... Doc has to protect himself and his website.
5. As Doc said, this protocol is hopefully temporary.
6. Doc Miller or us moderators did not postpone anything or bar anyone from competition. Your well placed anger should be directed at those who were responsible. I sincerely doubt that that those who made these decisions will read or be effected by anything we post here.

I have used this website since it's inception and while I share your frustrations, I see why this protocol had to be put in place.
Just .02 from an old, retired guy trying to be Switzerland.

PS - Bearhugger, sorry I did not get to meet you for lunch with Gator on Friday. Gator and I both ate way too much.

I wanted to meet up with you guys but I had to stay back and watch my crew do their thing on the mat. My philosophy is "no man left behind....on the mat".

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:25 pm

Ours is ... if it swims or crawls - we eat it all!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Panther_coach wrote:Ours is ... if it swims or crawls - we eat it all!

This leads into my next philosophy: "when the wrestling stops, I catch up on eating, sleeping and even work".

Bucktail

Postby Bucktail » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:28 am

I have the utmost respect for Dr. Miller he does a superb job and clearly I glean some personal enjoyment and satisfaction from this site. I had every one of the my posts censored and left unposted this weekend. I fully admit I was/am critical of the WVSSAC for what I thought were, and continue to be self-serving decisions that hurt families involved, but I hold no ill will as I understand Dr. Miller's need to keep things civil. I am the father of University's 145 wrestler and I thought my voice deserved to be heard. I took that voice to other entity's, thus leaving only my ego a bit dented since my thoughts were not validated and my elegant writing, ha, left unseen on this forum.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:36 am

How did the "if it swims or crawls - we eat it all" statement get past the moderators?
Talk about being politically correct. By the way, does any of this have anything to do with South?

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:06 pm

Erring on the side of caution is a good thing. All involved should take notice. The issue at states became highly personal and intense for many involved. Including the officials and the tournament director. Although I do not agree with every that has transpired, I do think Dr Miller has taken appropriate action. Even though some of the posts that were not posted could have been under normal circumstances, I think filtering some of the content was good. Also erring on the side of caution, when in doubt, sit them out.

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:24 pm

All I can say KDunbar is I ate crayfish etoufee, frog legs and shrimp - Gator had clam chowder and whitefish. That sorta covers swims or crawls and even hops! And yes, ... we ate it all! Say what you want about the South but no one retires and moves up north!

aaacoach95

Postby aaacoach95 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:41 pm

To me there is no ther way to look at this whole situation. If a wrestler shows up to weigh in and fails a skin text, the are dq'd, period. If a wrestler shows no signs, then they should wrestle, period. That is the rule. This abundance of caution is what caused this mess. Because honesty, if it is akin to skin contact, can anyone believe that the possibly affected kids at 145, 152, and 170 didn't practice all week with 138s, 160s, 182s?? No chance that this didn't happen. So technically in an abundance of caution, probably every weight class was affected. The bottom line to me is, the ones that showed up and failed the test get dq'd, the ones that passed, move forward.

Also, the ones who had the visible active conditions last Thursday should not be allowed to wrestle in three weeks or whenever it is. Period. As a disclaimer, I have no dog in this fight as we had no kids in these weight classes, but to allow someone who failed the test on Thursday to wrestle later is crazy, considering what happened at 138 with the boy from JM, who I've seen several times this year and believe definitely would have placed if not made a title run.

aacoach117

Postby aacoach117 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:23 pm

Bearhugger wrote:The new and current practice of needing every post to be approved by a moderator is going to slow down and shut down the forum. Here is why:

1. Wrestling Fan #1 posts something.
2. It could take hours before it get approved.
3. It finally gets approved the following day.
4. Many hours later, Wrestling Fan #2 sees it. They respond.
5. Many hours later, their response is approved.

The back and forth flow of communication is shut down.

Just a guess, but I imagine Doc is tired of checking in on the message board and seeing the same person creating a new thread about the same subject 2 or 3 times a day, especially after he created a thread specifically addressing the need for this to stop, but it was ignored.

Return to “High School Wrestling”