Best A/AA Team ever in WV

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
noshowjoe

Best A/AA Team ever in WV

Postby noshowjoe » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:47 pm

Indy scored 259 team points this year could they be the best a/aa team ever.
2017 Indy 6-champs 1-2nd 3-3rd 1-5th 1-6th 12 of 13 placed 259 team points
2016 Indy 4-champs 3-2nd 2-3rd 2-4th 1-5th 12 0f 14 placed 254 team points
2005 OG 4-champs 4-2nd 1-4th 2-5th 1-6th 12 of 13 placed 248 team points
2000 OG 5-champs 2-2nd 2-3rd 2-4th 2-5th 1-6th 14 of 14 placed 269 team points
1992 Cameron 4-champs 2-2nd 3-3rd 1-4th 10 of 13 placed 235 team points only 13 weight classes then
1968 Wirt team that won the all class championship

mscoach20

Re: Best A/AA Team ever in WV

Postby mscoach20 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:09 pm

Looks like you answered your own question. 2000 OG seems to be clear cut winner.
Tench

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:54 pm

looks like some of the rest of us need to look at what we are doing. these 2 teams (since the 2000's) have been dominant. maybe the rest of us need to figure out their secrets since its clear they know something that we don't. it seems like its probably more than just a run of talent. Congrats to these teams for great success.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:01 pm

mscoach20 wrote:Looks like you answered your own question. 2000 OG seems to be clear cut winner.

When any of us try to compare a AA/A 2017 team to a AA/A 2000 team, there are a few things we must consider:

1. What was the overall team listing in AA/A in 2000 as compared to AA/A 2017? If you look back every 10 years back to the 80s, many top AAA teams are now in AA/A. They are now filling up the top ten in AA/A. Some schools/communities just maintain better than others over the past 40 years. Team wise, AA/A is tougher now than it was back in 2000.

2. What was the participation rate in 2000 as compared to now? The 2017 Indy team in discussion has not had a 106 all season long despite being 2-3 deep in almost all weight classes. Did Oak Glen have a full roster back in 2000? I would suspect that the 2000 overall competition had fuller teams, thus more wrestlers to fight through.

On a side note, one of Indy's coaches was analyzing where points were lost and already talking about next season's score.

In my opinion, Indy should field a tougher team next season than they had this season. Too much coming back, too many kids not coming back from other teams and hopefully Indy has a full line up.

Good luck to all teams in doing the right stuff in the off season to be back tougher, stronger and HEALTHIER than the 2016/2017 season.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:38 am

I would think that when evaluating the quality of one wrestling team to another a mistake that is being made above is considering that a team is composed of only thirteen wrestlers because some did not made it to the state tournament or a weight class was not filled. Placement percentages should be based on the compliment of 14 (a team) wrestlers. Not having fuller teams should not be considered as a sign of strength. For a team it is a weakness (that is having the worst wrestler in that entire weight class who can never score points or contribute to the team). I know this is only being talked about for fun, however competition varies from year to year and there is no way to decide which was tougher (thus the matches are wrestled on the mat to truly know any fact). The only thing that can be claimed is which was the highest scoring team in history (again however there are several more weight classes now than in the distant past and thus an unequal opportunity to score points, so should scores be divided by number of weight classes? Also I think the scoring of major decisions and technical falls changed at some point in the past). Or one could name the team with the most champions or placers. But best team of all time is just something we can all just guess at. With all that being said, Independence did have a great team this year (and last year and it sounds like next year). Congratulations on your success and hard work, because without it this would not have been possible. Also, in looking back at what I wrote, I am not implying anything bad or negative about this team not having a 106 wrestler.

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:52 pm

Things slow down on the message board now that A/AA is over for a while. Maybe someone will do a head to head fantasy dual of 2017 Indy vs 00 Oak Glen. If it ends

aaacoach89

Postby aaacoach89 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:57 pm

mscoach64 wrote:looks like some of the rest of us need to look at what we are doing. these 2 teams (since the 2000's) have been dominant. maybe the rest of us need to figure out their secrets since its clear they know something that we don't. it seems like its probably more than just a run of talent. Congrats to these teams for great success.

I agree. The most sincere form of flattery is imitation. These programs in AA and South, Parkersburg, and Huntington in AAA are the cream of the crop. They are to be analyzed and copied if that success is desired. I have always believed that if you want the success that someone else has, find out what they are doing, and do that better than they are. As a coach, I for one, am not to proud to admit when I am being outperformed. There are several variables in play, but I would be willing to bet that these programs have solid youth leagues, consistent coaching styles, and community support. These are recipes for success. They are to be commended. Congratulations to them all.

Return to “High School Wrestling”