AAA OW & Coach of the Year

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
jsams

Re: AAA OW & Coach of the Year

Postby jsams » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:09 pm

Id say it's more about talent, feeder programs and coaching but you can go with enrollment and funds if that makes South winning easier to handle.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:30 pm

jsams wrote:Id say it's more about talent, feeder programs and coaching but you can go with enrollment and funds if that makes South winning easier to handle.

Obviously feeder programs and coaching play a big role no matter what, but I would challenge that South wrestlers are just more naturally talented.

Also, if you think that large schools with lots of funding are not at an advantage then you clearly have not spent much time at a small school that has to scrape and scrounge to come up with hotel money. I will venture that some schools spent more on hotels alone this year than most others spent on all expenses for the entire year.

In Braxton we have to roll our mat out in the football dressing room and have practice while football players and track team members walk back and forth across our mat going to the weight room. The distraction of that alone puts our guys at a disadvantage compared to teams that have a dedicated wrestling practice room.

Like it or not, large schools with good funding do have an advantage over other schools. That alone is not the reason for South's success, but it would be naïve to say it doesn't have a significant impact.

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:06 pm

coach_williams wrote:
jsams wrote:Id say it's more about talent, feeder programs and coaching but you can go with enrollment and funds if that makes South winning easier to handle.

Obviously feeder programs and coaching play a big role no matter what, but I would challenge that South wrestlers are just more naturally talented.

Also, if you think that large schools with lots of funding are not at an advantage then you clearly have not spent much time at a small school that has to scrape and scrounge to come up with hotel money. I will venture that some schools spent more on hotels alone this year than most others spent on all expenses for the entire year.

In Braxton we have to roll our mat out in the football dressing room and have practice while football players and track team members walk back and forth across our mat going to the weight room. The distraction of that alone puts our guys at a disadvantage compared to teams that have a dedicated wrestling practice room.

Like it or not, large schools with good funding do have an advantage over other schools. That alone is not the reason for South's success, but it would be naïve to say it doesn't have a significant impact.

Coach Williams, you seem to have knowledge of South's financial structure. Perhaps you can share all that knowledge with us and show us a financial spreadsheet on their expenditures? Also show us where all their funds were spent this year. Ironman, Olantangy, Winner's Choice, OVAC? Those are all pretty short trips. You must know about some inside dealer trading that makes them tons of money. Please share that with all of us.
Moderator WV Mat

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:20 pm

Gator wrote:
coach_williams wrote:

Coach Williams, you seem to have knowledge of South's financial structure. Perhaps you can share all that knowledge with us and show us a financial spreadsheet on their expenditures? Also show us where all their funds were spent this year. Ironman, Olantangy, Winner's Choice, OVAC? Those are all pretty short trips. You must know about some inside dealer trading that makes them tons of money. Please share that with all of us.

Gator, you won't get those figures from coach Williams. What he does bring to the table is a variety of experiences and excuses in his wake. Hes been all.Over the state sharing his knowledge. Depending upon what time period you want to talk about you may hear talk about the administration, lack of wrestling partners, county policy for travel, wealth redistribution, budgets, facilities. there has to be a reason that he isn't seeing the success he so desperately craves and it certainly cannot be the man in the mirror.

I get as tired of the south stuff as the next guy on here but I recognize hard work when I see it and if South's facilities and budget were what made them win then you would be hearing the name of the school when it comes to all sports.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:23 pm

coach_williams wrote:

Graham is a small public school. The wrestling room is in the football locker room. They seem to do OK. Maybe coach Williams will slip over there and tell Jeff Jordan to expect less of his kids because Ed's, Blair, etc have better facilities.

magna145

Postby magna145 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:41 pm

Gator wrote:
Frank Stein wrote:COY Anthony Emana SV
MOW Caleb Haynes SA

And it doesn't matter what happens in Fairmont.

7th place team for COY? Hmmmm.............

I like the thought on Emana. COY probably not. However not out of the question to be included in the conversation. Took a program that has never been very strong or finished in the top 10. Placed them at 7th. Coached kids to 1st, 2nd, 4th and took more kids to the state tournament than at any time, in SVHS history. Turned a traditional doormat into a competitor. Does all this with little to no budget or support. Plus he really only has one assistant coach. Not shabby

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:47 pm

Frank Stein wrote:COY Anthony Emana SV
MOW Caleb Haynes SA

And it doesn't matter what happens in Fairmont.

Your guess is as good as mine but you're the same dude who guaranteed 6 in the finals for Cabell Midland a year or two ago?

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:52 pm

Why is it that when you speak honestly about something people's inner immature child comes out? Is the truth really that hard to swallow or are you just so intellectually challenged that you can't wrap your minds around the idea that big schools and big budgets contribute more to successful programs. If it really has nothing to do with anything then somebody should go tell West Liberty that they need to be thumping WVU every year because being a smaller school with less money means nothing. I have no ill will against South and am more than happy for them, but if you can't handle a little truth then maybe you need to spend a little more time growing up.

@mscoach57 You are joking, right? First off, Graham is not a small school if you understand how rural Ohio school districts work. A non-inner city school that has 600+ kids is a pretty decent sized school there. Regarding them practicing in a football room, watch this video of Graham High School's wrestling room and tell me where the football team dressing room is in there. All I see is a huge room that looks to be accommodating 4 full-size mats. If that is a football locker room then they have one of the biggest high school locker rooms I have ever seen. http://www.flowrestling.org/video/71881 ... MGe85XQfcc
Last edited by coach_williams on Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:06 pm

ZZChooseTop wrote:
Gator, you won't get those figures from coach Williams. What he does bring to the table is a variety of experiences and excuses in his wake. Hes been all.Over the state sharing his knowledge. Depending upon what time period you want to talk about you may hear talk about the administration, lack of wrestling partners, county policy for travel, wealth redistribution, budgets, facilities. there has to be a reason that he isn't seeing the success he so desperately craves and it certainly cannot be the man in the mirror.

I get as tired of the south stuff as the next guy on here but I recognize hard work when I see it and if South's facilities and budget were what made them win then you would be hearing the name of the school when it comes to all sports.

I never said South facilities and budget were the only thing that makes them successful, but thanks for helping by pointing out all of the factors that most of us can see are obviously impactful on wrestling programs.

I will admit, I am confused by the "wealth redistribution" thing. I was pointing out how silly anything like that would be, but for some reason people who seem to be severely lacking in comprehension skills keep trying to say I was arguing in favor of it.

As for the snide "man in the mirror" comment, I don't crave success in wrestling. I am long beyond my wrestling days and have never claimed to have been good when I was wrestling. Since you don't know me from jack, I am going to assume that you are just spouting off.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:08 pm

Gator wrote:

I never claimed to know anything like that. They talk about being able to fundraise year round. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that it will lead to a nice budget. I am happy that they get to do that and wish that other schools in our state had that ability and parent support. It would go a long way towards making wrestling in our entire state much better.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:35 pm

coach_williams wrote:
@mscoach57 You are joking, right? First off, Graham is not a small school if you understand how rural Ohio school districts work. A non-inner city school that has 600+ kids is a pretty decent sized school there. Regarding them practicing in a football room, watch this video of Graham High School's wrestling room and tell me where the football team dressing room is in there. All I see is a huge room that looks to be accommodating 4 full-size mats. If that is a football locker room then they have one of the biggest high school locker rooms I have ever seen. http://www.flowrestling.org/video/71881 ... MGe85XQfcc

Graham is the size of Independence. Youre saying that 600 kids in corn country is somehow bigger than 600 kids in coal country?

Graham's on site wrestling facility is the football locker room. Wrestling is allowed to use it in the summer when camps get crowded and during wrestling season to practice in. You can choose to believe that or not. I was there picking up kids from camp last year when they were talking about needing to get the mats out of the room and moving the football lockers back in.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:13 pm

mscoach57 wrote:Graham is the size of Independence. Youre saying that 600 kids in corn country is somehow bigger than 600 kids in coal country?

Graham's on site wrestling facility is the football locker room. Wrestling is allowed to use it in the summer when camps get crowded and during wrestling season to practice in. You can choose to believe that or not. I was there picking up kids from camp last year when they were talking about needing to get the mats out of the room and moving the football lockers back in.

If you say so, I believe you. I just don't understand why they have all of their wrestling stuff displayed in that giant room in the video and even their team pictures on the school website are taken there. It doesn't look to me like they are practicing in a locker room, but using the locker room in summer for camp overflow is certainly believable. I wish our locker room had removable lockers. I bet they don't share the space with weightlifters either, which was my original point.

Comparing Ohio schools to WV schools makes no sense. Especially comparing WV schools to Graham.

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:30 pm

Two schools from rural counties, with approximately the same size student body, producing state championship teams, and national caliber individuals... seems quite similar to me.
Granted, SPG has been doing it for far longer. I'd attribute that sustained success to the world class coach they have up there, more so than anything else.
sentenceseller

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:44 pm

greencrush wrote:Two schools from rural counties, with approximately the same size student body, producing state championship teams, and national caliber individuals... seems quite similar to me.
Granted, SPG has been doing it for far longer. I'd attribute that sustained success to the world class coach they have up there, more so than anything else.

Agree with you. Both small communities who have bought in to wrestling programs with great coaches. If Jeff or Cliff tell you something, it will happen, there will not be any excuses or blaming of others.

It was funny that Coach Williams spoke very authoritatively on Graham until it became apparent that he has never been there, then it became, a bad analogy. Probably thought Champaign County was in France.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:11 pm

When talking about COY it appears to be emotional but i think what some are trying to say is that South has a great program; good feeders; and a large coaching staff and if they all travel with the team they must have a bigger budget than most other schools. I think coach Smith has been successful and should be proud of the accomplishments. The thing with a COY that I'm trying to stress is there are so many smaller schools and with coaches making something out of nothing almost. It's like the NFL coach of the year it usually goes to a team that made the most improvement not so much the super bowl winner. My remark about PHS and Coach Way was I don't think many thought PHS would finish as high as they did therfore they did surprise many (overachieve maybe is the wrong word to use) a lot of luck has to go a coaches way too (injuries;grades; parents etc..) it's not up to me but I'm sure a deserving coach will get it. Coach Smith should have got it last year!

Malematmaid2

Postby Malematmaid2 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:48 pm

Gator wrote:
coach_williams wrote:

Gator,
You're silly,South financial structure is quite common across the state. Let me let you in on what Coach Williams and the rest of the state already knows about their finances:
South's Wrestling Account
Accounts Spendable
$5,000 Ironman
$5,000 Olantangy
$5,000 WV Duals
$5,000 Winner's Choice
$5,000 OVAC
$5,000 Regionals
$13,000 State ($1000 per wrestler)
$10,000 Coach's Spending Money
$5,000 Wives Spending Money
$10,000 Coach Bonus State Champions ($2500 per Champion)
$20,000 Coach of the Year Bonus
$10,000 Bonus Regional Team Championship
$25,000 Bonus State Team Championship
$20,000 Mat Maids and Manager Expenses
$100,000 Brent Sams Salary
$243,000 TOTAL

Accounts Receivable
$500,000 WV Jr State Tournament
$10 Gator Donation
$500,010 TOTAL

$257,010 Account Balance

Quit being silly Gator. Everyone knows about South's deep pockets.
#2 is not acceptable and neither is second place.

Just a Mat Maid

Postby Just a Mat Maid » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:58 pm

Dedication and hard work is free.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:52 pm

South and Independence have communities and cultures that drive more kids to stay with the sport as opposed to many others. Both schools have B and C teams that get out and wrestle aggressive schedules. As the seniors graduate, both teams reload rather than rebuild. Besides Huntington, you do not see any other schools that have their B teams wrestling more than South and Indy.

My observation on Braxton County is that they need to take in a few of the bigger, tougher tournaments to taste some tougher competition. The Winner's Choice is a good one and it is relatively close. The WC is comprised of many smaller schools and also schools that travel from much farther away than Braxton County.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:11 am

There are quite a few schools that could take that advi've.

I've never gotten the thought process behind padding your record with a cupcake schedule, racking up 40+ wins, and then showing up at the state tournament just to get spanked.
Good job, your kids won lots of cupcake matches and had 15 forfeits. Now tell me how that prepared them to make a run at the podium.
Not speaking about any particular school here, of course, just a generalized observation.
WP duals, WV duals, Nat guard duals, Winners choice, WSAZs. Top tournaments in the state, in my opinion. Everybody is in range of one or another, if not several of these. That's barring the eastern panhandle guys, but they find plenty of competition over in Northern VA/ Maryland/PA.
sentenceseller

aaacoach89

Postby aaacoach89 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:28 am

highleghillary wrote:Best coaching staff in the state in south, whether some of you on here want to hear that or not, or even like any of them is one thing. But the truth of the matter is that team has 6 dudes that competed at the college level, and Brent I would enjoy this season because from what I heard, those practices will be closed to everybody next year. Smith is in control of the program and tells his coaches what he wants done and when he's not getting it done, his coaches are. South wrestling team is fundamentally done through smith's philosophy and every decision made is strictly through smith. And it's a shame some people, especially some fans from South even try to undermine that. People ought to be greatful that a community has so many talented young men that take their time to guide young men in a path that they once we're drew into and keep the tradition in winning team titles. For some of you coaches that haven't voted for shaun, well, that's petty. I get it, I don't think he should win it every year. The team'so coach that wins it year in and year out shouldn't win coy every year, that tarnishes the title. But the fact that he wouldn't be voted for the second year in his second year with his second team title is mind blowing. Quit being so partisan and hating, if you don't like it then do something about it and beat them. Souths leadership structure is like a buearacracy, with former great south wrestlers working under Smith who is in deed the HEAD big Dawg

Bottom Line!!! Nice post! I coach a team that competes against South every year, and I have nothing but respect for their program. The coaches are classy, their wrestlers (most all of them, you can't control everyone) act like they have been there before and with class. Have nothing bad to say about them, except I would like to get the program I am involved with to that level.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:54 am

greencrush wrote:Two schools from rural counties, with approximately the same size student body, producing state championship teams, and national caliber individuals... seems quite similar to me.

So if I understand correctly, your opinion is if teams that have funding issues, an AD that doesn't support the program and bans any off-season activity, and/or a principal that doesn't support the program and won't allow home matches are not as good as South or Indy or Graham because they have mediocre coaches?

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:14 am

mscoach57 wrote:

Agree with you. Both small communities who have bought in to wrestling programs with great coaches. If Jeff or Cliff tell you something, it will happen, there will not be any excuses or blaming of others.

It was funny that Coach Williams spoke very authoritatively on Graham until it became apparent that he has never been there, then it became, a bad analogy. Probably thought Champaign County was in France.

You are totally right. You going there to pick up kids makes you much more knowledgeable that I am, having not been there.

Riddle me this. Why do they call it the Ron McCunn Wrestling Room, with pictures of state champ wrestling teams, pictures of state champ wrestlers, banners of state champ wrestling teams, and not a single picture of a football player or anything related to football anywhere to be seen...if it is the football locker room?

And you probably thought Champaign was how you spell the name of the city in France and thought you were being funny. It's Champagne, France, not Champaign.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:25 am

Bearhugger wrote:South and Independence have communities and cultures that drive more kids to stay with the sport as opposed to many others. Both schools have B and C teams that get out and wrestle aggressive schedules. As the seniors graduate, both teams reload rather than rebuild. Besides Huntington, you do not see any other schools that have their B teams wrestling more than South and Indy.

My observation on Braxton County is that they need to take in a few of the bigger, tougher tournaments to taste some tougher competition. The Winner's Choice is a good one and it is relatively close. The WC is comprised of many smaller schools and also schools that travel from much farther away than Braxton County.

I couldn't agree more regarding the community atmosphere in those towns. They do a fantastic job of supporting those programs.

Regarding our schedule in Braxton, I also agree. I am not the HC and those things are not my call.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:53 am

greencrush wrote:There are quite a few schools that could take that advi've.

I've never gotten the thought process behind padding your record with a cupcake schedule, racking up 40+ wins, and then showing up at the state tournament just to get spanked.
Good job, your kids won lots of cupcake matches and had 15 forfeits. Now tell me how that prepared them to make a run at the podium.
Not speaking about any particular school here, of course, just a generalized observation.
WP duals, WV duals, Nat guard duals, Winners choice, WSAZs. Top tournaments in the state, in my opinion. Everybody is in range of one or another, if not several of these. That's barring the eastern panhandle guys, but they find plenty of competition over in Northern VA/ Maryland/PA.

I agree. I don't know you and have no idea if you have ever been involved in the financial aspect of coaching, but here is part of the problem with attending all of the top tournaments. I will use Braxton as an example.

A 2 day tournament, with bus travel and overnight stay in a hotel cost us $1300-$1400
A 2 day tournament without staying in hotels cost us $400-$500 just for buses
A 1 day tournament cost us $200-$250 for a bus

So if we attend WP Duals, WSAZs, Winner' Choice, LKC Conference, Regionals (staying overnight depends on where they are held) and States, we spend $7800-$8400 and that is not counting entry fees for the tournaments. Add in entry fees and we would spend $9k-$10k just to attend 3 big tourneys, conference, regionals and states. That is a lot of money for a small school in a county with the 11th highest poverty rate in the state to come up with, and that doesn't even factor in the cost of buses to attend tournaments the other 6 weeks of the season.

aaacoach93

Postby aaacoach93 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:03 pm

aaacoach42 wrote:
sfc1 wrote:Pines win was impressive but of the weight classes wrestled so far you can't over look Caleb Haynes run at 138. This freshmen beat 2 finalists from last year who just happened to have both beaten him earlier in the season. I've followed the state tournament for over 20 years and he had one of the most impressive tournaments I've seen. That was a special performance.

Excellent point. Not many had him winning 138. We may be looking at a kid with a great future. Plus 138 was no cake walk. Especially with most wrestlers avoiding 145.

My vote is for the freshman 138 no doubt!!

Matofficial

Postby Matofficial » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:42 pm

Coach Williams, What is to stop you from forming a wrestling club ? Separate from the school, that would allow you to do everything that Pburg South does. What is to stop you from not electing your BOE members that must be influencing your students from being exposed to getting college scholarships. What is to stop you from doing like Jeff Jordan, putting a mat in a barn and practicing whenever you want ?

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:13 pm

Matofficial wrote:Coach Williams, What is to stop you from forming a wrestling club ? Separate from the school, that would allow you to do everything that Pburg South does. What is to stop you from not electing your BOE members that must be influencing your students from being exposed to getting college scholarships. What is to stop you from doing like Jeff Jordan, putting a mat in a barn and practicing whenever you want ?

Politics in a small community inhibits starting a wrestling club. Much easier said than done.

I have not been here long enough to take part in a BOE election. Just moved here in July. With that said, I think we have decent support for wrestling, but I do not know everyone well enough to know their politics regarding wrestling.

I have a mat in my garage and invite anyone that wants to drill to come on down. No barns yet, but may be soon. Gotta buy a barn first...

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:54 pm

coach_williams wrote:
Matofficial wrote:Coach Williams, What is to stop you from forming a wrestling club ? Separate from the school, that would allow you to do everything that Pburg South does. What is to stop you from not electing your BOE members that must be influencing your students from being exposed to getting college scholarships. What is to stop you from doing like Jeff Jordan, putting a mat in a barn and practicing whenever you want ?

Politics in a small community inhibits starting a wrestling club. Much easier said than done.

I have not been here long enough to take part in a BOE election. Just moved here in July. With that said, I think we have decent support for wrestling, but I do not know everyone well enough to know their politics regarding wrestling.

I have a mat in my garage and invite anyone that wants to drill to come on down. No barns yet, but may be soon. Gotta buy a barn first...

I hunted Braxton County for 20 years and there are plenty of unused barns there, complete with many black snakes and mice! Just don't lay a mat down on a snake, they become very angry! ;)
Moderator WV Mat

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:24 pm

I have stayed mute on this topic because I have no dog in the fight, nor skin in the game ... however to say that South's large coaching staff is not relevant because the head coach makes all the tough decisions is just not in line with my observations. I was blessed with some wonderful asst. coaches (at times) and some that were less than ideal (a couple of years) but having coached 36 kids for multiple years all by myself with no asst. coaches allowed by our county, I can tell you that asst. coaches make a world of difference. We practiced from 3:30-6:00 for a total of 2.5 hours or 150 minutes - let's say there were only 30 kids at practice each day out of 36 ... 5 minutes of one on one instruction if you divide it out. Now add in say for example 4 asst. coaches - 5 coaches / 30 kids/ 150 minutes. 25 minutes of one on one instruction now double that again to look at South ... 50 minutes of individual attention from excellent coaches, most of whom were state champs or at least place winners. No matter how you rationalize, clear advantages for the larger staff. I think South's coach deserved it last year and again this year but ... think about us coaches with a room full of guys who are out there every day with little or no help or community support. As I said, I had some of the finest assts ever who knew infinitely more wrestling than I did during some years but saw the all by my lonesome side as well. I don't think we can discount the great advantage that South ( and similar) programs have built over the years. It says a lot for a program when that many guys are willing to serve as asst. coaches.
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

aaacoach89

Postby aaacoach89 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:48 pm

coach_williams wrote:
mscoach57 wrote:

You are totally right. You going there to pick up kids makes you much more knowledgeable that I am, having not been there.

Riddle me this. Why do they call it the Ron McCunn Wrestling Room, with pictures of state champ wrestling teams, pictures of state champ wrestlers, banners of state champ wrestling teams, and not a single picture of a football player or anything related to football anywhere to be seen...if it is the football locker room?

And you probably thought Champaign was how you spell the name of the city in France and thought you were being funny. It's Champagne, France, not Champaign.

I have been there, more than once, stayed there on the mats with our kids for the weeks I was there. It's a wrestling room. The lockers are always there, they border the outer walls, that's where the kids put their gear for the week. They have fixed partitions in the floor surrounding the mats, so they are not removed, they stay there all year. They have their State Champion banners hanging from the ceilings. The weight room is down the hallway towards the back of the facility, and it is used by football, wrestling, and other sports. The football field is out back, with a track around it. The school is a wrestling school. That is their claim to fame.

Return to “High School Wrestling”