AAA OW & Coach of the Year

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Re: AAA OW & Coach of the Year

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:52 pm

coach_williams wrote:
Matofficial wrote:Coach Williams, What is to stop you from forming a wrestling club ? Separate from the school, that would allow you to do everything that Pburg South does. What is to stop you from not electing your BOE members that must be influencing your students from being exposed to getting college scholarships. What is to stop you from doing like Jeff Jordan, putting a mat in a barn and practicing whenever you want ?

Politics in a small community inhibits starting a wrestling club. Much easier said than done.

I have not been here long enough to take part in a BOE election. Just moved here in July. With that said, I think we have decent support for wrestling, but I do not know everyone well enough to know their politics regarding wrestling.

I have a mat in my garage and invite anyone that wants to drill to come on down. No barns yet, but may be soon. Gotta buy a barn first...

If you have a mat in your garage, then fill it up with kids and have at it. It is nobody in Braxton County's business what these kids do in their own spare time.

Also, I know that Independence doesn't get a bus to travel all over the place with. The kids pile in, ride to where they are going and then hit the mats.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Malematmaid2

Postby Malematmaid2 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:25 pm

coach_williams wrote:
greencrush wrote:Two schools from rural counties, with approximately the same size student body, producing state championship teams, and national caliber individuals... seems quite similar to me.
Granted, SPG has been doing it for far longer. I'd attribute that sustained success to the world class coach they have up there, more so than anything else.

So if I understand correctly, your opinion is if teams that have funding issues, an AD that doesn't support the program and bans any off-season activity, and/or a principal that doesn't support the program and won't allow home matches are not as good as South or Indy or Graham because they have mediocre coaches?

Bingo! I've been JV and mediocre all my life. It's not easy being #2. I'm right there with you coach.

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:48 pm

Malematmaid2 wrote:
coach_williams wrote:
greencrush wrote:Two schools from rural counties, with approximately the same size student body, producing state championship teams, and national caliber individuals... seems quite similar to me.
Granted, SPG has been doing it for far longer. I'd attribute that sustained success to the world class coach they have up there, more so than anything else.

So if I understand correctly, your opinion is if teams that have funding issues, an AD that doesn't support the program and bans any off-season activity, and/or a principal that doesn't support the program and won't allow home matches are not as good as South or Indy or Graham because they have mediocre coaches?

Bingo! I've been JV and mediocre all my life. It's not easy being #2. I'm right there with you coach.

Yo who dis be?

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:14 am

beep boop bop broken link
learn more at brokenlinkcheck.com
Last edited by greencrush on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sentenceseller

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:02 pm

aaacoach89 wrote:
coach_williams wrote:
mscoach57 wrote:
Agree with you. Both small communities who have bought in to wrestling programs with great coaches. If Jeff or Cliff tell you something, it will happen, there will not be any excuses or blaming of others.

It was funny that Coach Williams spoke very authoritatively on Graham until it became apparent that he has never been there, then it became, a bad analogy. Probably thought Champaign County was in France.

You are totally right. You going there to pick up kids makes you much more knowledgeable that I am, having not been there.

Riddle me this. Why do they call it the Ron McCunn Wrestling Room, with pictures of state champ wrestling teams, pictures of state champ wrestlers, banners of state champ wrestling teams, and not a single picture of a football player or anything related to football anywhere to be seen...if it is the football locker room?

And you probably thought Champaign was how you spell the name of the city in France and thought you were being funny. It's Champagne, France, not Champaign.

I have been there, more than once, stayed there on the mats with our kids for the weeks I was there. It's a wrestling room. The lockers are always there, they border the outer walls, that's where the kids put their gear for the week. They have fixed partitions in the floor surrounding the mats, so they are not removed, they stay there all year. They have their State Champion banners hanging from the ceilings. The weight room is down the hallway towards the back of the facility, and it is used by football, wrestling, and other sports. The football field is out back, with a track around it. The school is a wrestling school. That is their claim to fame.

I believe you. That is a HUGE football locker room. When I say we (Braxton) practice in a football locker room I am talking about a room that a single mat barely fully rolls out in it. We have to be careful that wrestlers don't end up in the lockers during drilling. Add on top of that, those that are headed to the weight room walk across out mat tracking god knows what across it in the middle of us wrestling. That was my point.

Frank

Postby Frank » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:55 pm

mscoach57 wrote:
coach_williams wrote:
jsams wrote:Id say it's more about talent, feeder programs and coaching but you can go with enrollment and funds if that makes South winning easier to handle.

Obviously feeder programs and coaching play a big role no matter what, but I would challenge that South wrestlers are just more naturally talented.

Also, if you think that large schools with lots of funding are not at an advantage then you clearly have not spent much time at a small school that has to scrape and scrounge to come up with hotel money. I will venture that some schools spent more on hotels alone this year than most others spent on all expenses for the entire year.

In Braxton we have to roll our mat out in the football dressing room and have practice while football players and track team members walk back and forth across our mat going to the weight room. The distraction of that alone puts our guys at a disadvantage compared to teams that have a dedicated wrestling practice room.

Like it or not, large schools with good funding do have an advantage over other schools. That alone is not the reason for South's success, but it would be naïve to say it doesn't have a significant impact.

Graham is a small public school. The wrestling room is in the football locker room. They seem to do OK. Maybe coach Williams will slip over there and tell Jeff Jordan to expect less of his kids because Ed's, Blair, etc have better facilities.

In the football locker room
Lol

Return to “High School Wrestling”