AAA OW & Coach of the Year

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
ZZChooseTop

AAA OW & Coach of the Year

Postby ZZChooseTop » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:04 pm

Were ballots circulated on Saturday? If so, how is that fair to the wrestlers who did not step on the mat yet?
If ballots were not circulated on Saturday, then how will the coaches who do not have wrestlers participating vote?

guard0544

Re: AAA OW & Coach of the Year

Postby guard0544 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:36 pm

I dont think MOW or COY is a big priority. Its all subjective and could rightfully be given to a number of different people for a number of different reasons. I wouldnt waste time stressing over those awards. In the end, they will be given to someone deserving.

TrueSouthFanInPburg

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:50 pm

as far as outstanding wrestler goes you must consider mikey shamblin rated #4 at 132 who beat the #2 rated wrestler and then the #1 wrestler and those matches were not even close ! i've thought for years now the most outstanding wrestler at the state tourney should be based on what is done AT THE STATE TOURNEY and not what has been done during the season ! Maybe there should be another award at the state tourney given to the best wrestler of the season. i'll even pay for this trophy !

Region2fan

Postby Region2fan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:41 pm

I will say it again the toughest and most talked about weight class was 160. Even though a region 2 kid won that weight class he is the OW. If one of the other region wrestlers won would there even be a debate on OW. Like I said Make Region 2 great again.

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:47 pm

We can not forget the delayed classes either. 152 is no cake walk nor is 145.
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

aaacoach18

Postby aaacoach18 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:00 pm

I believe there was a FRESHMAN that beat a senior State Champ and a senior Runner up and 2-6 finishers where all seniors, hats off to this Fresman State Champ at 138!!!

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:20 pm

Region2fan wrote:I will say it again the toughest and most talked about weight class was 160. Even though a region 2 kid won that weight class he is the OW. If one of the other region wrestlers won would there even be a debate on OW. Like I said Make Region 2 great again.

Just looking at the placers from this year, and the highest they had ever placed in the state tournament in prior years...

This years placers previous highest finish:
1. Previously 5th
2. Never placed before
3. Previously 6th
4. Previously 3rd
5. Never placed before
6. Never placed before

That likely falls into the average category when compared to other weight classes.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:41 pm

guard0544 wrote:
Region2fan wrote:I will say it again the toughest and most talked about weight class was 160. Even though a region 2 kid won that weight class he is the OW. If one of the other region wrestlers won would there even be a debate on OW. Like I said Make Region 2 great again.

Just looking at the placers from this year, and the highest they had ever placed in the state tournament in prior years...

1. Previously 5th
2. Never placed before
3. Previously 6th
4. Previously 3rd
5. Never placed before
6. Never placed before

That likely falls into the average category when compared to other weight classes.

This is true. However, Milam didn't wrestle last season and Nash missed the regional and state tournament due to illness.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:56 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
guard0544 wrote:

1. Previously 5th
2. Never placed before
3. Previously 6th
4. Previously 3rd
5. Never placed before
6. Never placed before

This is true. However, Milam didn't wrestle last season and Nash missed the regional and state tournament due to illness.

Understood. Both would have been favored to place. Likely place high. However, theres no guarantees at the state tournament. :)

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:32 pm

TrueSouthFanInPburg wrote:as far as outstanding wrestler goes you must consider mikey shamblin rated #4 at 132 who beat the #2 rated wrestler and then the #1 wrestler and those matches were not even close ! i've thought for years now the most outstanding wrestler at the state tourney should be based on what is done AT THE STATE TOURNEY and not what has been done during the season ! Maybe there should be another award at the state tourney given to the best wrestler of the season. i'll even pay for this trophy !

I agree on the two separate awards for the season OW and the tourney OW; I do want to stress very impressive performances I would hate to decide. The 160 Champ; the 132 Champ; the 138 Champ etc... BUT there's still a lot of wrestling to go and you have 145 with a great one and 152 with several and 170 has a tough South kid and Rioley kid, but anything can happen any of the participants have the potential to claim the championship. But all in all let's explore having two OW awards in the future!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:42 pm

guard0544 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
guard0544 wrote:

1. Previously 5th
2. Never placed before
3. Previously 6th
4. Previously 3rd
5. Never placed before
6. Never placed before

Understood. Both would have been favored to place. Likely place high. However, theres no guarantees at the state tournament. :)

You could say that again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Region2fan

Postby Region2fan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:57 pm

All I know is all season the most talked about weight class was 160. And now that it's over the kid that won 160 is the only one in triple a that is undefeated. 50-0. Looks like that should be the OW. And let's forget about what region he is in. There were 2 kids that haven't lost to any WV wrestler this season and if I'm not mistaken the 160 champ beat them both. Let's make Region 2 great again

sfc1

Postby sfc1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:18 pm

Pines win was impressive but of the weight classes wrestled so far you can't over look Caleb Haynes run at 138. This freshmen beat 2 finalists from last year who just happened to have both beaten him earlier in the season. I've followed the state tournament for over 20 years and he had one of the most impressive tournaments I've seen. That was a special performance.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:52 pm

sfc1 wrote:Pines win was impressive but of the weight classes wrestled so far you can't over look Caleb Haynes run at 138. This freshmen beat 2 finalists from last year who just happened to have both beaten him earlier in the season. I've followed the state tournament for over 20 years and he had one of the most impressive tournaments I've seen. That was a special performance.

You are correct!!!!!!!!!!

aaacoach42

Postby aaacoach42 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:03 am

sfc1 wrote:Pines win was impressive but of the weight classes wrestled so far you can't over look Caleb Haynes run at 138. This freshmen beat 2 finalists from last year who just happened to have both beaten him earlier in the season. I've followed the state tournament for over 20 years and he had one of the most impressive tournaments I've seen. That was a special performance.

Excellent point. Not many had him winning 138. We may be looking at a kid with a great future. Plus 138 was no cake walk. Especially with most wrestlers avoiding 145.

Region2fan

Postby Region2fan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:34 am

Haynes was probably the best / toughest freshman to hit the state tournament since Matt Easter. But the difference is he was in a mid weight and not the usual 106. Too bad he is not in region 2. Let's make region 2 great again

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:22 pm

Who for coach of the year?

sfc1

Postby sfc1 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:29 pm

vortexfan wrote:Who for coach of the year?

Darren Gilphilen from St.Albans. may have spelled the last name wrong but he has taken a program from the bottom to one of yge states elite AAA programs. He deserves credit for that.

aaacoach28

Postby aaacoach28 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:43 pm

I don't understand how South's head coach was not coach of the year last year and hopefully he will be this year. I am glad the state of Ohio votes for the coach that wins not 2nd 3rd 4th and so on. Mike Shamblin should be the outstanding wrestler so far in the state tournament. This award is for their performance during the State tournament. Mike beat both the #1 and # 2 ranked kids in his weight clasd. Dominated in the finals! Justin Allman pinned everyone in the 195. That's pretty outstanding also

SingleLegTrump

Postby SingleLegTrump » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:02 pm

It's nice to recognize these performances sure, but it's hard to argue against the fact most years COY is a joke. Too many coaches have malice or jealousy towards South so they perform some very impressive mental gymnastics and rationalize a reason to vote for someone else. That isn't to say some of the other coaches and their staff aren't great because they are, but my point stands.
Make Wrestlers Tough Again

mscoach26

Postby mscoach26 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:22 pm

But South does not have a coach or even two they have ten or more so when then that is figured in .... the guy doing it all by their lonesome or with little help often gets the nod!

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:34 pm

mscoach26 wrote:But South does not have a coach or even two they have ten or more so when then that is figured in .... the guy doing it all by their lonesome or with little help often gets the nod!

Good logic there buddy :lol:

Bill Belichick has other great positional coaches that help him but he gets the majority of the credit. He surrounds himself with other "great" coaches which in turn is another reason why the PATRIOTS win. Seems pretty smart to me.

TrueSouthFanInPburg

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:22 am

Femalematmaid, I mean malematmaid, if your goal on here is becoming the most hated person on here, you are meeting your goal. Why don't you try saying something nice about someones post ? When alot of people on here (and I do mean a lot of people on here) find out who you are, I think all of them will be giving them a piece of their mind. And I for one don't blame them ! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

TrueSouthFanInPburg

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:23 am

I meant to say a lot of them will be giving YOU a piece of their mind !

Bucktail

Postby Bucktail » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:10 am

There is an interesting caveat here in regards to South. They Clearly were the favorites to win the state tournament and they have an amazing lineup. Simply put, they achieved, or are achieving, what has been expected for them to achieve. The question is, do you give the COY to the team who met expectations or to the Coach/teams who got better and superseded the expectations? I have encountered this in other sports as well. I feel like the problem is that we don't have a level perspective from the outset. In my opinion, South's only chance to for COY is that there is no outstanding overachieving team, because they were judged, in the preseason to win going away. When you are expected to run away with the title, and you do, well its tough as you only met expectations. There is no room to overachieve when the expectations are so high from the start. So a team like St. Albans, who did better than expected, or even University, who has performed better than most believed they could, are assessed as awesome jobs from the corner, and rightly so.
Who should win it? I don't know, but it is a game of perception from the start. One thing is clear, COY or not, they all have earned plenty of hardware.

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:08 am

Bucktail wrote:There is an interesting caveat here in regards to South. They Clearly were the favorites to win the state tournament and they have an amazing lineup. Simply put, they achieved, or are achieving, what has been expected for them to achieve. The question is, do you give the COY to the team who met expectations or to the Coach/teams who got better and superseded the expectations? I have encountered this in other sports as well. I feel like the problem is that we don't have a level perspective from the outset. In my opinion, South's only chance to for COY is that there is no outstanding overachieving team, because they were judged, in the preseason to win going away. When you are expected to run away with the title, and you do, well its tough as you only met expectations. There is no room to overachieve when the expectations are so high from the start. So a team like St. Albans, who did better than expected, or even University, who has performed better than most believed they could, are assessed as awesome jobs from the corner, and rightly so.
Who should win it? I don't know, but it is a game of perception from the start. One thing is clear, COY or not, they all have earned plenty of hardware.

Amusing that you mention university in this scenario :roll: except not at all. So, last season whenever South had all underclassmen, zero seniors, five freshmen starters that all did well, two in which finished runner-up in their respective weight classes and still ran away with the team title. But, the COY still went to another team's coach. Your logic of since South was and is favored to win their coach doesn't deserve it holds no merit. Independence ran away with the team title just like they were favored to do and who won COY...let me think...hmm was it Cliff Warden? If you ever won anything then you would know and understand how much work it takes to actually stay on top, but it is obvious that you have never been there. With no longer having a dog in the fight bc don't forget I was jv and then quit, it doesn't effect me either way but it really isn't me that spews all of this hate, it obvious that it is you and others like you that are clearly jealous. Sad. Coaches shouldn't even get a vote. It should be done like the OVAC and given to the coaches that win their division. Except they had trouble following their own rules this year too, so maybe not :lol:

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:10 am

TrueSouthFanInPburg wrote:Femalematmaid, I mean malematmaid, if your goal on here is becoming the most hated person on here, you are meeting your goal. Why don't you try saying something nice about someones post ? When alot of people on here (and I do mean a lot of people on here) find out who you are, I think all of them will be giving them a piece of their mind. And I for one don't blame them ! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Umm get over yourself. You're actually the one that is hated by the large majority of people on here. You have nothing good to say either, so this is where the pot is calling the kettle black budddddddddddd.....

aaacoach89

Postby aaacoach89 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:18 am

There are a lot of great coaches out there, who work hard and do a great job. Having been a competitor all of my life, and coaching over the last several years my take on the issue is simple. South was favored to win it all, the reason they were favored is because they have a line up that is stellar. The reason they have a stellar line up is because those kids are coached to be champions. Champions are built, and it is something that South seems to do year after year. Hitting the expectation set, when that expectation is to win should not be punished. There are a ton of teams and coaches out there that want what South has, but until they can take it from them......my vote would go to their coach as COY.

Bucktail

Postby Bucktail » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:48 am

MaleMatMaid wrote:
Bucktail wrote:There is an interesting caveat here in regards to South. They Clearly were the favorites to win the state tournament and they have an amazing lineup. Simply put, they achieved, or are achieving, what has been expected for them to achieve. The question is, do you give the COY to the team who met expectations or to the Coach/teams who got better and superseded the expectations? I have encountered this in other sports as well. I feel like the problem is that we don't have a level perspective from the outset. In my opinion, South's only chance to for COY is that there is no outstanding overachieving team, because they were judged, in the preseason to win going away. When you are expected to run away with the title, and you do, well its tough as you only met expectations. There is no room to overachieve when the expectations are so high from the start. So a team like St. Albans, who did better than expected, or even University, who has performed better than most believed they could, are assessed as awesome jobs from the corner, and rightly so.

Amusing that you mention university in this scenario :roll: except not at all. So, last season whenever South had all underclassmen, zero seniors, five freshmen starters that all did well, two in which finished runner-up in their respective weight classes and still ran away with the team title. But, the COY still went to another team's coach. Your logic of since South was and is favored to win their coach doesn't deserve it holds no merit. Independence ran away with the team title just like they were favored to do and who won COY...let me think...hmm was it Cliff Warden? If you ever won anything then you would know and understand how much work it takes to actually stay on top, but it is obvious that you have never been there. With no longer having a dog in the fight bc don't forget I was jv and then quit, it doesn't effect me either way but it really isn't me that spews all of this hate, it obvious that it is you and others like you that are clearly jealous. Sad. Coaches shouldn't even get a vote. It should be done like the OVAC and given to the coaches that win their division. Except they had trouble following their own rules this year too, so maybe not :lol:

The lens with which you look at things is clearly slanted. I never said South was undeserving. Although I don't recall who won it, I thought Coach Smith deserved it last year, as that was, as you pointed out, quite a performance. If you are capable of looking beyond your slant, you'll note I was using South, St. Albans, & even University to state a point, that there are those who look to give the coach of the year to a team who had the grace of overachieving in the perspective eyes of the voters and noting that south didn't even have the capable luxury of being in that position. St. Albans and University have achieved more that people expected of them, thus, make it easier to help develop that point. It happens in the pros and colleges ranks all the time. You read it through your slanted glasses and took affront, and in doing so, missed the point. As if, my opinion should be subservient to yours, when neither has a vote. Please learn to read with writers intent and not through your slant.

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:27 am

Bucktail wrote:
MaleMatMaid wrote:

The lens with which you look at things is clearly slanted. I never said South was undeserving. Although I don't recall who won it, I thought Coach Smith deserved it last year, as that was, as you pointed out, quite a performance. If you are capable of looking beyond your slant, you'll note I was using South, St. Albans, & even University to state a point, that there are those who look to give the coach of the year to a team who had the grace of overachieving in the perspective eyes of the voters and noting that south didn't even have the capable luxury of being in that position. St. Albans and University have achieved more that people expected of them, thus, make it easier to help develop that point. It happens in the pros and colleges ranks all the time. You read it through your slanted glasses and took affront, and in doing so, missed the point. As if, my opinion should be subservient to yours, when neither has a vote. Please learn to read with writers intent and not through your slant.

My views aren't slanted. I agree with you that in some circumstances when teams overachieve that should be taken into account. But St. Albans and University have been ranked where they've been bc of short sided coaches not voting for them not bc of their performance. It is obvious that those two teams are good and have performed well during the season. I don't think that they are overachieving at all. They've been undervalued. Maybe the teams that have been ahead of them all season are simply underachieving which is possible or in all reality maybe they just weren't as good as "coaches" thought and maybe St. Albans and university are doing exactly what they should be doing. If your view about South is that they are doing exactly what they are supposed to do then maybe it is the same for every other teams as well.

Return to “High School Wrestling”