A Tribute to my son, Joshua Talbott

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aaacoach89

A Tribute to my son, Joshua Talbott

Postby aaacoach89 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:03 am

I used a previous email I read as my guide for this, changes were made to fit my situation, but it was fitting none the less. I am sure there are a ton of dads out there that had kids that were seniors, so this may be fitting for all....

So now I sit listening to the deafening silence on a Monday morning. No noise of a cheering crowd, no squeal of the referee's whistle, not yelling instructions or words of encouragement from the corner. Just the deafening silence and a dad left struggling with the emotions that come with the end of an era. The end of a son's high school wrestling career.

All the years of hard work and dedication coming to a close. The mats have been rolled up, and the clocks have been put away. No more hot box practices, no more counting calories to stay on weight, no more 6am Saturday's, or cheap motels for weekend tournaments, no more scheduling summer vacations around summer wrestling camps. Just memories of all the glorious victories and the sting of difficult defeats.

I sit and reflect on all the goals that have been realized and at least one dream that will never be achieved. The dream of being a state champion. I struggle with the reality of the dream of that 9 year old little boy, with the singlet that's too big, has come to an end. While some kids may be gifted overachievers, or are favored to do this many times, many others aspire simply to have that one moment where they are AT THE TOP, to have their moment in the sun. To know the realization of that dream was over due to an accident, an unfortunate injury, is a tough pill to swallow, and as a dad a hard thing to watch. I looked out on the mat, at Regionals, and saw my son reach down and tear away that anklet one last time in front of me, his mother, his teammates, and his friends. I heard the velcro peel away and I felt the rawness of my own emotions as if it had peeled away layers of my own skin. I know he not only left his blood, sweat, and tears on that mat, but also a piece of his heart.

I think back to the first moment he walked onto the mat, singlet too big, not having a clue, and upset that he didn't have entrance music like the WWE Superstars did. I saw him walk off the mat, the last time in high school, as a chiseled young man. The mat molded him, made him physically and mentally strong, and prepared him for the challenges life will throw at him.

A tear rolled down my cheek that next day when I walked into his room and saw all the medals, plaques, and trophies that were earned over the years. I realized that the greatest rewards are not made of bronze, silver, or gold, but by the experiences that have brought us to this moment. As I look at my son, I know that his heart hurts from the fact he had to miss out on the State Tournament that one last time, but I see nothing but a champion. Not because he beat everyone that challenged him, but because he was challenged.

So as the presence of new opportunities appear, I want my son to know this: In the heart of his old man, you are my hero, you are MY champion. Thank you for letting me walk with you on this incredible journey. With love and respect.....

Dad

Dal2233

Re: A Tribute to my son, Joshua Talbott

Postby Dal2233 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:34 pm

A great tribute to your son.

Jchap8750

Postby Jchap8750 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:10 pm

Very nice

Talbott's mom

Postby Talbott's mom » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:29 pm

Way to make this momma cry. I love you Joshua Talbott. You will always be my champion. I'm so incredibly proud of you son.

Rustybedspring

Postby Rustybedspring » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:21 am

Great family and young man.

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:20 pm

Awesome!!! I would expect no less from you guys GK

Roachdad

Postby Roachdad » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:21 pm

I enjoyed watching your son wrestle over the past several years. He was always a tough competitor. I have to admit I had tears in my eyes reading your post, My son finished up this weekend and it is hard when you realize they have wrestled there last match ever. Wrestling is like no other sport I have ever been around. It takes a committment few are willing to make. The wrestling team and parents become family and its a sport I'm very happy my son decided to try. Good luck Josh in whatever your future plans are!

Return to “High School Wrestling”