State Tournament 2017 - What Happened

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aaacoach54

State Tournament 2017 - What Happened

Postby aaacoach54 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:04 pm

State Tournament 2017 – What Happened

Now that the State AAA – Part I is completed, I believe that I owe an explanation for what has happened on my end of this unfortunate incident to shed some light on this issue. I have been trying to concentrate on coaching my team and not add anymore distractions to an already tumultuous state tournament.

I brought a doctor in before practice in the middle of Regionals week to check for any skin infections that my boys may have and to write skin forms for anything that may be questioned by an official at regionals on Saturday. During this practice skin check, the doctor diagnosed 2 team members as having impetigo. This being regional week and days before the skin check, I was over cautious and had the doctor put the entire team and coaching staff on the impetigo medication. To be safe, my team was separated and practices were changed. In the hotel on Friday night, I did another team skin check of my own to make sure that I was aware of every questionable mark on their bodies. It was regionals and I wanted to take no chances.

At Regionals, skin checks were thoroughly completed by the 3 officials but there was no doctor present. I’m not blaming any host for this. On Saturday morning, I had no reason to believe that any of my wrestlers had HSV-1. If I had known that there was a chance that they had it on Saturday, I would have held them out of the tournament. The accusation that I knowingly put HSV-1 infected wrestlers on the mat Saturday is an insult and completely false.

On Monday morning, one of my wrestler’s infections had gotten much worse since Saturday night. I sent him to see another doctor at the hospital immediately. This doctor informed me on Monday that he had taken a skin culture because he was 50/50 on whether the infection was impetigo or HSV-1. It would take 24 hours to get the culture back from the lab. On Tuesday morning, before the results of the culture were back, I self-reported the potential for this problem to Mr. Dolan of the WVSSAC in case the results came back positive for HSV-1. The doctor called me on Tuesday afternoon and said that the culture came back positive for HSV-1. I broke the news to the wrestler at school with his parents and told him that his season was over. It was an emotional meeting and a nightmare for any coach or parent. I had the doctor come to practice that day to check the entire team. He suspected one other wrestler had it and sent him to the hospital immediately for a skin culture. I called Mr. Dolan at the WVSSAC to inform him and Dr. Elkins of the WVSSAC of the HSV-1 result and the potential for another one tomorrow. They wrote up a notice of exposure letter to inform all coaches of teams that we had competed against in the last 10 days. Members of my team had competed in 4 events in 10 days involving a total of about 20 teams. On Tuesday night, I informed Coach Smith of Parkersburg South that his 5th place wrestler was now in for the state tournament to take my athletes place in the bracket.

On Wednesday, our second skin culture came back positive. I updated the WVSSAC again. Earlier that morning, both Mr. Dolan and Dr. Elkins of the WVSSAC talked to me about the situation via teleconference. We already assumed that the second culture would come back positive. The WVSSAC decided that any infected wrestlers would be out of the tournament, and that there would be thorough skin checks by 2 doctors at all 3 days of weigh-ins at the state tournament. This sounded like the correct course of action to me.

On Wednesday night, I was laying the last piece of mat down in the arena when Mr. Dolan called and told me that he had 2 options for the state tournament. 1st option: Delay the 2 weight classes of the infected wrestlers for 3 weeks. 2nd option: The infected wrestlers and anyone who wrestled them directly at regionals was out of the state tournament. I told him that both of those options were unacceptable. Option 1 set a bad precedent for any infection, concussion, etc. in the future. Option 2 was unacceptable because it punished asymptomatic wrestlers. I told him that I understood that infected/contagious wrestlers would be disqualified from the tournament but that any wrestler who was symptom-free should not be denied the privilege of wrestling in the states. Late that night, the WVSSAC released an e-mail stating that the infected wrestlers and their regional opponents were excluded from the tournament.

By Thursday morning, principals had gotten the WVSSAC’s e-mail excluding their athletes from competition. A total of 7 asymptomatic wrestlers from other schools plus 2 of my infected wrestlers were going to be held out of the tournament. I called the 4 coaches of the 7 excluded wrestlers to let them know more information. I thought they deserved that much from me since they were being held out because they wrestled against my athletes. I also let them know that I was not aware that my athletes were infected with HSV-1 until Tuesday afternoon. On Thursday afternoon, I found out that my 3rd wrestler had HSV-1. This wrestler had missed school and practice for the week until Wednesday when I sent him to his 3rd doctor for a culture. He had not qualified for the state tournament. His other 2 doctors diagnosed his infection as impetigo until I sent him to my doctor.

Like everyone else, I walked into the state tournament not really knowing what to expect. I just wanted to get my healthy guys wrestling, and hope that there wouldn’t be any more issues. I was wrong. I was called out of weigh-ins and into a back room with the WVSSAC officials on a conference call with a Wood County judge while I answered questions about my non-qualified wrestler who just tested positive a few hours earlier. I could see that the AAA tournament was going to be changed in this room.

A while later, I was instructed to return to weigh-ins. Everything seemed to be going smoothly. Every wrestler, coach, and official was on edge about skin checks. A lot of people were asking questions and I could not answer any of them. The doctor did an outstanding job of conducting a tough skin check. After weigh-ins, someone told me that AAA Region IV coaches were being called to a meeting with Mr. Dolan and Mr. Ryan of the WVSSAC. Mr. Dolan came in and told all of the coaches that the decision had been made that the infected wrestlers and all of the athletes who they wrestled at regionals were going to be disqualified from the tournament, just like their earlier e-mail had stated. Coaches were upset. I was upset that the healthy kids would be excluded. It was said by one coach and I agree, that wrestling has been around a long time and the rules are set for this type of situation. From youth leagues to senior level, if a wrestler cannot pass a skin check by the on-site doctor then they are disqualified before they step on the scale. After some heated debate, Mr. Dolan and Mr. Ryan stepped outside and offered the delay of the 3 weight classes for 3 weeks. All coaches were relieved that the now 10 (with 170 pounders thrown in) asymptomatic kids would be allowed to at least get the chance to compete in a version of the state tournament. It was a bad alternative, but better than telling 10 healthy athletes that their season was over after weigh-ins. The discussion went back and forth for a while longer but it was finally decided that the delayed tournament would be our best option of the 2 choices that were given to us.

There were many unflattering things said about me, my family, our great sport, and my team this weekend. I love the sport of wrestling and I would never do anything to hurt our sport or WV. Unfortunately, I know that this predicament started when I reported the first possibility of an infection to the WVSSAC. As a coach, my first priority is to protect my athletes and their competitors. I felt like I was doing that by being open from the start, and letting the consequences be whatever was decided. However, everyone involved with my team had to deal with some kind of blame this week even though we were not the ones who brought the infection into our wrestling room. I want to make it clear that HSV-1 and impetigo were both brought into my room from contact with another team. I do not know which team. Unfortunately, this type of situation does happen in our sport. Like I wrote earlier, we participated in 4 events in 10 days.

Many things have been said about this controversy, many of which are untrue. For people to say that Huntington benefited from this 2nd state tournament doesn’t make any sense. Of the 3 delayed weight classes, I only have one eligible wrestler. One of my wrestlers failed to qualify at regionals and we removed the other one because he would not have passed skin checks on Thursday. This is not what I wanted for anyone. I feel that the tournament could have proceeded as planned with the confirmed infections being excluded and a thorough skin check conducted by 2 doctors each day of the tournament would have been the best route to go. However, this is not what happened as Huntington does not call the shots at the state tournament we simply host it for the WVSSAC.

I am sorry that this happened. I regret some of my decisions concerning this whole incident. I told the truth and was up front about the entire incident. Unfortunately, I think that my decision to do the right thing cost my athletes and their families, plus the affected athletes from other schools and their families plus the fans. I thought I was doing the right thing, and I was trying to protect the kids and the integrity of the tournament. I am proud to be involved with WV wrestling and I wish all of the athletes participating at the state tournament on March 13th & 14th the best of luck in Fairmont. Thank you, Dr. Miller.

Yours in Wrestling,

Coach Rob Archer

Rage_Bear

Re: State Tournament 2017 - What Happened

Postby Rage_Bear » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:45 pm

I read your whole post. You definitely did the right thing. If people can't see that, they're just looking for something to talk about. Keep doing what you're doing and pushing our great sport forward.

Unfortunately, it is very common for a doctor to diagnose HSV-1 as impetigo. I recommend to everyone that if they think their kid has impetigo, get it tested!!! It takes time but it's worth it. I spent 7 years being told I had impetigo by countless doctors and it was colonized in my nasal cavity before finally requesting a lab test. Sure enough, it was hsv-1.

Can't wait for next season (or at least this miniature state tournament).

Frank Stein

Postby Frank Stein » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:29 pm

Thanks for the info

I know that wrestlers with hsv-1 wrestle. Tons of people have it. My understanding is that a lesion free carrier is not contagious. I just wonder why the wrestlers who were presenting no symptoms/lesions would be excluded after the regional exposure. What's the difference in a wrestler being exposed a week ago or someone who actually has had it for 10 years? No lesions no risk? Is this correct? I'm not a doctor. I'm just curious. What a debacle. I will agree given the options listed the best one was chosen. I could not look a young man with a clear skin check in the eye and tell him he couldn't wrestle.

aaacoach90

Postby aaacoach90 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:36 pm

You did everything you could and by the book. The best of a bad situation was made for the kids I believe and I certainly wont blame you or your teams for something out of your control. People will always play the blame game . Try not to let it get you down. From what I see you run respectable program and your team is always well mannered and well dressed. Thanks for clearing some thing up that was unclear until now. And good luck on the rest of the championship.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:26 pm

I read your entire post and greatly appreciate the information. We as fans do become frustrated and often times this frustration is exacerbated by a lack of information.
You were obviously put in a tough situation thru no fault of your own. I apologize for anything overly critical or just plain wrong that I may have posted.

Schoon3400

Postby Schoon3400 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:41 pm

I applaud you for the effort and trying to do the right think. I know there was an issue of this going around in the panhandle where I live. All you can do is try your best to do what's right or best for all. Thanks for all the info!

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:55 pm

Nothing but a class act! It wasn't your decision or any of the officials. You did the correct thing!

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:44 pm

I must admit that I shared the upset that most wrestling fans felt however, for the life of me I can not see how they could think this benefitted your team. I do not envy having to deal with all the drama, anger and invective thrown your way. I applaud your decision to release this explanation here on WV Mat.
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

aacoach30

Postby aacoach30 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:47 pm

You, your staff and your team are a class act elite program. You set high standards and discipline for your wrestlers. You teach respect, morals and values. I appreciate all that you do for our state and our sport!

You handled the situation the right way. Anyone that would question your character doesn't know you very well.

Keep working hard!

John Bonecutter
Point Pleasant
Last edited by aacoach30 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zacsdad

Postby Zacsdad » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:06 am

Coach Archer,

It was nice to meet you in the "bull pen." There is no need to apologize for doing the right thing. Thanks for the information on what transpired. I think things would have easier for everyone, had the WVSSAC been as open and forthcoming as you have been.

Ronnie Odom
Hampshire High School

aaacoach89

Postby aaacoach89 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:06 am

I was in the room for the meeting. This explanation matches word for word with what you said in the room. It was a difficult situation to be in, in the end it was handled the best way possible. You have always been good to me, and you have always been kind to my son. Hind sight is always 20/20 and you will always have arm chair quarterbacks. You have my respect.

aacoach17

Postby aacoach17 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:34 am

Coach, I believe that you did everything that you could have and not for the benefit of your team, but for the betterment of our sport. The old saying goes-Sometimes the right thing is not the popular thing and sometimes the popular thing is not the right thing. Decisions like these will always have someone on the bad side of it. I applaud your honesty and integrity. Your family has always been held in the highest regard by myself and my staff. You have our support coach.
Coach Dwayne Hicks
Lincoln County High School

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:38 am

I appreciate someone finally explaining the events in total. We had been told numerous accounts of what happened from start to finish. An informed public is a less hostile public. I, for one, would like to put this whole mess behind us and move on. Unfortunately, there will still repercussions to come from this and other families will still need to deal with a lot of these things moving forward. In my opinion, things were handled poorly, but in the end, kids competed and will compete. Hopefully, when this is all said and done, kids will be able to compete and be healthy in the future.

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:13 pm

I have known Rob and his father Bill for a really long time. They have always done the right thing regardless of the situation or consequences. They are two of the most honest and caring people I have ever known. They call it just like it is!!!! There is no doubt in my mind that Rob handled this the absolutely correct way and only had the best interests of the wrestling community in mind when he reported this terrible situation to the WVSSAC. I applaud him and KNOW that his integrity is beyond reproach. Thanks Rob and Bill for doing the very best job you could under trying circumstances!!!! I'll always be in your corner. Lastly thanks for taking the time to explain exactly what happened so that everyone could get the truth of the matter. I'm proud to call you a good friend and wish you always the best in life!!!! George Keeney

ardenswv

Postby ardenswv » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Hi Rob!

I've been following this fiasco here on WVMAT and in newspaper articles. Even though the result has become, um, complicated, I know that if something like this ever happens again, you'll do the right thing again! Your letter to the wrestling community is right on, too.

Folks, I've known Rob for almost 30 years. He's always been a straight shooter and never a conniver. Bureaucracy frequently triggers unintended consequences. Not everything is a conspiracy; sometimes it's just a series of unfortunate events!

Arden Sansom
Past Announcer for AA/A State Tournament
Galveston, TX
(510) 289-1199

Return to “High School Wrestling”