Ask Moomaw

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Ask Moomaw

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:41 pm

If you want to turn your wrestling game around by next season, I suggest you consult Petersburg's Jackson Moomaw.

I don't know this gentleman, nor would I recognize him in public. However, I know the following:

2016:

1. He never caught my attention and nobody in my network was talking about him.
2. He wrestled 160 and went 2-2 in the 2016 state tournament.
3. He lost his last 2016 state tournament match to East Fairmont's Kincell.
4. Noteworthy 2016 state placers at 160 were Daniels/Independence at 4th and Kincell/EF 5th.

2017:

1. A lot of people were talking about Moomaw all season long.
2. He won the 2017 state title at 170.
3. Finished the season with only one loss. He was caught in a spladle by South's Lambiotte.
4. The AA/A 170 pound weight class contained the following:

2016 170 runner up Jarvis/Braxton
2016 170 4th placer Cool/Oak Glen
2016 182 AAA 5th placer Rollyson/George Washington (2017 with Hoover)
2016 160 4th placer Daniels/Independence
2016 160 5th placer Kincell/East Fairmont

5. His closest match in the state tournament was a 7-3 decision over the returning 2016 runner up.

Not to sell any of the following short: his coaches, his off season mat work, his off season competition, camps, etc. It appears a big contributing factor was hard work in the weight room.

After a season filled with injuries across the state, I suggest all wrestlers up their time in the weight room a little more and lets just see how things go in 2018.

Good luck!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

noshowjoe

Re: Ask Moomaw

Postby noshowjoe » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:03 am

I took notice at the tourny in fairmont i knew he was going to be a handful
for anybody he wrestled.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:16 pm

noshowjoe wrote:I took notice at the tourny in fairmont i knew he was going to be a handful
for anybody he wrestled.

Your observations were accurate. He ended up being a handful for everybody.

If he sticks with what he is doing, he will probably be a wrestler many others will avoid. Look for a lot of weight cutting and/or eating up all around Moomaw's weight class.

Adams and Hart had people jumping all over the place this season.

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:34 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
noshowjoe wrote:I took notice at the tourny in fairmont i knew he was going to be a handful
for anybody he wrestled.

Your observations were accurate. He ended up being a handful for everybody.

If he sticks with what he is doing, he will probably be a wrestler many others will avoid. Look for a lot of weight cutting and/or eating up all around Moomaw's weight class.

Adams and Hart had people jumping all over the place this season.

I don't even wrestle but Noah scared me so bad, I gained 10 lbs at China One in one setting to avoid him! :?
Moderator WV Mat

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:55 am

lmao

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:39 pm

When you watch a state tournament that consists of only three weight classes, it is easier to spot a few things.

I saw quite a few kids that if they want to rise higher on the podium next season, the weight room is the answer. Hopefully they will figure this out.

GRECO

Postby GRECO » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:29 pm

Sigh bear
Just stop!!
You keep talking about being in the weight room all the time but in reality you never wrestled on the National and even international level!
So just stop!

Yes!! Spending time on the weights is needed and God knows I have spent a lot of time on them.

Being a wrestler with both toughness and technique will over power any big built wrestler.
I had a kid that is now a professional bodybuilder who wrestled for me his junior and Senior year being called " The Hulk" he actually destroyed 95% of all of his fat opponents in the 215 class.
I even took him to the Mason open and he won with ease against all WV opponents
He lost in the finals in the hardest of all states to even place ( California) by a skinny, lanky, tall but tough kid by 2 points!!
My point is spending more time on the mat will increase both strength and skill
Go google Hershel Walker and he does not even lift weights
when I wrestle, the more muscular the opponent the more I know I am going to win.. but when they show up looking like Dave Shultz the more nervous I get because they got skill

Everyone wrestler free and Greco all summer!
Out

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:33 pm

GRECO wrote:Sigh bear
Just stop!!
You keep talking about being in the weight room all the time but in reality you never wrestled on the National and even international level!
So just stop!

Yes!! Spending time on the weights is needed and God knows I have spent a lot of time on them.

Being a wrestler with both toughness and technique will over power any big built wrestler.
I had a kid that is now a professional bodybuilder who wrestled for me his junior and Senior year being called " The Hulk" he actually destroyed 95% of all of his fat opponents in the 215 class.
He lost in the finals in the hardest of all states to even place ( California) by a skinny, lanky, tall but tough kid by 2 points!!
Go google Hershel Walker and he does not even lift weights
when I wrestle, the more muscular the opponent the more I know I am going to win.. but when they show up looking like Dave Shultz the more nervous I get because they got skill

Everyone wrestler free and Greco all summer!
Out

You said: Spending time on the weights is needed

That is what I was referring to.

If you look at the WV kids who do well at the national level, they tend to be stronger. Strength is not the enemy of skill. Many folks tend to think you cannot have both.

If I was coaching a young 15 year old in WV, I would point to people like Noah Adams and Josh Humphreys rather than getting their heads all mixed up with trying to emulate Dave Shultz. Adams and Humphreys obviously hit the weight room along with the big tournaments/camps/clinics/etc/etc. They also pin their way through the state tournament.

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:55 pm

If you dont lift weights the right way it can hurt you when it comes to wrestling.
If you bulk up to much you loose flexibility and it takes more oxygen to feed those big muscles.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:58 pm

noshowjoe wrote:If you dont lift weights the right way it can hurt you when it comes to wrestling.
If you bulk up to much you loose flexibility and it takes more oxygen to feed those big muscles.

Then everybody needs to lift weights the right way.

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:39 am

I would work my core strength it makes you stronger and faster.
Also a good diet with the proper nutrients will help you maintain energy during wrestling matches.
"Fatigue Makes Cowards of Us All" Vince Lombardi

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:35 am

noshowjoe wrote:If you dont lift weights the right way it can hurt you when it comes to wrestling.

Outdated ignorant thinking

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:09 am

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:

Outdated ignorant thinking

How so?

timamos

Postby timamos » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:14 am

Just stop!!
So just stop! I have not but I am familiar with many athletes who have. May I comment?

Being a wrestler with both toughness and technique will over power any big built wrestler. Not sure I agree when you add "any"
I had a kid that is now a professional bodybuilder who wrestled for me his junior and Senior year being called " The Hulk" he actually destroyed 95% of all of his fat opponents in the 215 class. Tremendous difference between bodybuilding and sport specific strength training
He lost in the finals in the hardest of all states to even place ( California) by a skinny, lanky, tall but tough kid by 2 points!! By the numbers Cali is the toughest, but measuring their placers in terms of quality, I would not agree with you
Go google Hershel Walker and he does not even lift weights Are you serious? Herschel Walker is a walking example of pharmaceutical science. You honestly believe that he obtained that physique by doing pushups/situps/running? How did he get the huge traps then? His other claim is that he also only ate one meal per day consisting of soup/salad and bread. I suppose you believe that too? Hershel was one of my favorite football players growing up but at some time you realize that he is either a liar or his multiple personality disorder has caused him to misstate facts. Please do not tell a kid to follow the Herschel Walker plan as written and expect success at anything. http://nattyornot.com/herschel-walker-n ... ps-secret/

when I wrestle, the more muscular the opponent the more I know I am going to win.. but when they show up looking like Dave Shultz the more nervous I get because they got skill Hmm so the Schultz body type scares you but the Karelin body type tells you that it is going to be easy?
Everyone wrestler free and Greco all summer! Agree It is comical that some of the people who blast the WVSSAC for not allowing out of season coaching are the same people who find excuses to not have their kid wrestle freestyle and Greco in the summer. For less than $100 the parent, club coach or their local high school coach can get a bronze card and teach Olympic styles all summer with the blessing of the WVSSAC
Out

timamos

Postby timamos » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:38 am

Bearhugger wrote:

If you look at the WV kids who do well at the national level, they tend to be stronger. Strength is not the enemy of skill. Many folks tend to think you cannot have both.

If I was coaching a young 15 year old in WV, I would point to people like Noah Adams and Josh Humphreys rather than getting their heads all mixed up with trying to emulate Dave Shultz. Adams and Humphreys obviously hit the weight room along with the big tournaments/camps/clinics/etc/etc. They also pin their way through the state tournament.

I agree with you that strength training is necessary. Dave Schultz is one extreme, Karelin is the other extreme. God does not make many of those freaks of nature. With years of work you can create a sleek technician and he probably will not be as good as Schultz. With years of work and the right pharmacist can create a weight room monster and he will not touch Karelin.

You said what you would do if you were coaching a 15 year old. If I were coaching a 15 year old in WV I would hope that by 15 he already had spent the time learning solid technique before puberty. Wrestling older stronger competition in the practice room and in competition before he started getting strong. Love your commentary on here and I never call BS on you but come one, using Josh and Noah as your examples is cheating. They are great wrestlers and great kids. You can use them to prove just about any point:
1. If I were coaching a 15 year old kid I would insist that they only use four letters in their name. Noah, Josh, Dave, Alexandr... damn Russians
2. If I were coaching a 15 year old kid I would insist that they wear a singlet with some red on it.
3. If I were coaching a 15 year old kid I would make them wrestle freestyle/greco in the summer.
4. If I were coaching a 15 year old kid I would make them lift weights.
5. If I were coaching a 15 year old kid I would insist that they have Fathers who are nice guys.

Bear I know those are silly examples but my point is that you can use stats to "prove" a point for anything. 9/10 of last years NCAA Div I champions wrestled Fargo while in high school. I am sure they also lifted weights. When you say that strength is not the enemy of skill I agree with you. When you say in other threads that a kid is better off buying a weight set than wrestling Fargo, I disagree with you.

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:30 pm

"Sport specific strength training" timamos the exact words i was looking for thank you.
Afterall i am outdated and ignorant.LOL

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:24 pm

noshowjoe wrote:"Sport specific strength training" timamos the exact words i was looking for thank you.
Afterall i am outdated and ignorant.LOL

Your words not ours

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:07 pm

timamos wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

I agree with you that strength training is necessary. Dave Schultz is one extreme, Karelin is the other extreme. God does not make many of those freaks of nature. With years of work you can create a sleek technician and he probably will not be as good as Schultz. With years of work and the right pharmacist can create a weight room monster and he will not touch Karelin.

You said what you would do if you were coaching a 15 year old. If I were coaching a 15 year old in WV I would hope that by 15 he already had spent the time learning solid technique before puberty. Wrestling older stronger competition in the practice room and in competition before he started getting strong. Love your commentary on here and I never call BS on you but come one, using Josh and Noah as your examples is cheating. They are great wrestlers and great kids. You can use them to prove just about any point:
1. If I were coaching a 15 year old kid I would insist that they only use four letters in their name. Noah, Josh, Dave, Alexandr... damn Russians
2. If I were coaching a 15 year old kid I would insist that they wear a singlet with some red on it.
3. If I were coaching a 15 year old kid I would make them wrestle freestyle/greco in the summer.
4. If I were coaching a 15 year old kid I would make them lift weights.
5. If I were coaching a 15 year old kid I would insist that they have Fathers who are nice guys.

Bear I know those are silly examples but my point is that you can use stats to "prove" a point for anything. 9/10 of last years NCAA Div I champions wrestled Fargo while in high school. I am sure they also lifted weights. When you say that strength is not the enemy of skill I agree with you. When you say in other threads that a kid is better off buying a weight set than wrestling Fargo, I disagree with you.

Tim, our "friendship" began with a disagreement. LOL. I am not an advocate of anybody taking a "one size, fits all" approach to anything........including wrestling. I do indeed know of a few kids that went to Fargo. The following regular season didn't go to well for them. Matter of fact, the season was a disaster compared to their previous season. The lack of weight training was so obvious, Stevie Wonder could see it. My weight set vs Fargo comment was geared toward individuals like this. Other kids went to Fargo and did very well.

As for using Noah as an example, I know for a fact that he is in the weight room three days a week DURING football and wrestling season. As for Josh, I do not know him personally. I have watched Josh grow from 106 to 120 to 145 and continue to have the same success despite some big weight class jumps. Maintaining strength facilitates this. Matter of fact, St. Albans had four state finalists (3 champions). Despite a possible lifetime of being on the mat, these four kids are strong!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for all readers, I feel that if you were tasked with turning around 14 wrestlers, ONE single approach would not be the answer. Each wrestler more than likely has their own unique set of deficiencies. Sometimes it is simply a lack of strength. That was my point which started this recent discussion. Technique mixed with strength is a brutal combination for an opponent to overcome.

Good luck to all.

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:03 pm

Mine and Truesouthfaninhunt MaleMatMaid.

GRECO

Postby GRECO » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:49 am

timamos wrote:
Just stop!!
So just stop! I have not but I am familiar with many athletes who have. May I comment?

Being a wrestler with both toughness and technique will over power any big built wrestler. Not sure I agree when you add "any"
I had a kid that is now a professional bodybuilder who wrestled for me his junior and Senior year being called " The Hulk" he actually destroyed 95% of all of his fat opponents in the 215 class. Tremendous difference between bodybuilding and sport specific strength training
He lost in the finals in the hardest of all states to even place ( California) by a skinny, lanky, tall but tough kid by 2 points!! By the numbers Cali is the toughest, but measuring their placers in terms of quality, I would not agree with you
Go google Hershel Walker and he does not even lift weights Are you serious? Herschel Walker is a walking example of pharmaceutical science. You honestly believe that he obtained that physique by doing pushups/situps/running? How did he get the huge traps then? His other claim is that he also only ate one meal per day consisting of soup/salad and bread. I suppose you believe that too? Hershel was one of my favorite football players growing up but at some time you realize that he is either a liar or his multiple personality disorder has caused him to misstate facts. Please do not tell a kid to follow the Herschel Walker plan as written and expect success at anything. http://nattyornot.com/herschel-walker-n ... ps-secret/

when I wrestle, the more muscular the opponent the more I know I am going to win.. but when they show up looking like Dave Shultz the more nervous I get because they got skill Hmm so the Schultz body type scares you but the Karelin body type tells you that it is going to be easy?
Everyone wrestler free and Greco all summer! Agree It is comical that some of the people who blast the WVSSAC for not allowing out of season coaching are the same people who find excuses to not have their kid wrestle freestyle and Greco in the summer. For less than $100 the parent, club coach or their local high school coach can get a bronze card and teach Olympic styles all summer with the blessing of the WVSSAC
Out

Why do you take things out of context?
The kid that I coached was a powerlifter during wrestling before switching to being a bodybuilder.

CA is I believe in the top 4- or 5 in the country in producing NCAA champions and Olympians
The club I coach at, have kids that do not wrestle the "Yankee" style as they are from other countries. They train for the Olympics only. The advantage is the larger population that CA has.. so saying they have no depth is wrong!

Again out of context.. if I were to wrestle Karelian and or Shultz.. yea I would get killed. I am talking about normal average men that train in this sport.

Been in this sport since 1972 and still wrestling..because I love the sport. But don't take things out of context by comparing great special athletes to the majority that wrestle and never make the Olympics.
I am grateful to be in an wrestling academy rubbing shoulders with great athletes from Iran, Russia, Cuba and etc. Athletes that not only actually wrestled on the international stage but by winning a medal(s) for their respected countries.

I think they know what they are talking about!

I guess what I am trying to say Is do what the wrestler thinks will help him/ her to be a better wrestler

But to say do one thing or you will never win is absurd!

Out

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:21 pm

GRECO wrote:
timamos wrote:
Just stop!!

Out

Why do you take things out of context?
The kid that I coached was a powerlifter during wrestling before switching to being a bodybuilder.

CA is I believe in the top 4- or 5 in the country in producing NCAA champions and Olympians
The club I coach at, have kids that do not wrestle the "Yankee" style as they are from other countries. They train for the Olympics only. The advantage is the larger population that CA has.. so saying they have no depth is wrong!

Again out of context.. if I were to wrestle Karelian and or Shultz.. yea I would get killed. I am talking about normal average men that train in this sport.

Been in this sport since 1972 and still wrestling..because I love the sport. But don't take things out of context by comparing great special athletes to the majority that wrestle and never make the Olympics.
I am grateful to be in an wrestling academy rubbing shoulders with great athletes from Iran, Russia, Cuba and etc. Athletes that not only actually wrestled on the international stage but by winning a medal(s) for their respected countries.

I think they know what they are talking about!

I guess what I am trying to say Is do what the wrestler thinks will help him/ her to be a better wrestler

But to say do one thing or you will never win is absurd!

Out

Nobody ever said "do one thing or you will never win".

aacoach75

Postby aacoach75 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:06 am

Hey...Just ask Moomau.....

Return to “High School Wrestling”