Very early buts lets get some chatter started...

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Re: Very early buts lets get some chatter started...

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:24 pm

vortexfan wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
noshowjoe wrote:I dont think AAA is drying up.
If you wrestle all classes together i think AAA walkes away with 10 of 14 state titles

I received a text from my friend Truesouthfaninbulgaria. He said if you take South out of the equation, the AA walks away with most of the titles.

At a glance, I would have to agree. In this case, we have circled right back to South being the big fish in a pond that is drying up.

Why is the pond drying up?

29 AAA schools. South had some challenges last season getting matches in state. There is still water in the pond, but far from a lake.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:07 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
If you wrestle all classes together i think AAA walkes away with 10 of 14 state titles

I received a text from my friend Truesouthfaninbulgaria. He said if you take South out of the equation, the AA walks away with most of the titles.

At a glance, I would have to agree. In this case, we have circled right back to South being the big fish in a pond that is drying up.

When you consider that South wrestles the likes of St Eds, Wadsworth, Olentangy Liberty, Canon Mac, Steubenville and tournaments like the Ironman and Powerade, you can't really say that they only swim in a small pond. More like a big ocean!
Moderator WV Mat

5count

Postby 5count » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:12 pm

I know who will wrestle the toughest schedule in the state this year and it is a AA school. brutal schedule with several ranked schools nationally

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:46 pm

Gator wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

When you consider that South wrestles the likes of St Eds, Wadsworth, Olentangy Liberty, Canon Mac, Steubenville and tournaments like the Ironman and Powerade, you can't really say that they only swim in a small pond. More like a big ocean!

WV Pond. Across the border, South swims with the sharks.

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:23 pm

What if you took Indy out of the equation.
AAA pond is not as big but it is deeper.

Assault Rifle

Postby Assault Rifle » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:14 pm

Dear Bearhugger,

You're always very informative and I enjoy reading your post. There's been a lot of talk about AAA predictions but nothing regarding AA/A. Do you have any predictions based on intel you may/may not have. Maybe list 1-2 kids per weight class that should be at the top of the heap.

Always appreciated.....AR

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:14 pm

5count wrote:I know who will wrestle the toughest schedule in the state this year and it is a AA school. brutal schedule with several ranked schools nationally

Can we see the AA school and it's schedule?
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:12 pm

Assault Rifle wrote:Dear Bearhugger,

You're always very informative and I enjoy reading your post. There's been a lot of talk about AAA predictions but nothing regarding AA/A. Do you have any predictions based on intel you may/may not have. Maybe list 1-2 kids per weight class that should be at the top of the heap.

I couldn't even predict Independence's line up right now, let alone who is going to be in what weight classes throughout the state. I will tell you this:

1. The toughest weight class in the state will be in AA/A this season. It will also fall somewhere between 126 and 138. There are too many talented kids coming back that are going to fall somewhere in these three weight classes. 145 and 152 could be bad places to be also.

2. 120 could look real tough on paper but I think one wrestler will be in a league of his own here.

3. East Fairmont is an interesting conversation piece. Last season, EF had "Murderer's Row" and the best JV kid in the state. A few weeks ago, I got some input from my friend "Truesouthfanineasternfairmont". He gave me his snapshot of who was slated for where. It appears "Murderer's ROW" had a member GROW. EF has some decisions to make. Do they want to do what is best for the team or what might be best for a couple of individuals. If they can get all five of these kids in the lineup, it will make for some gooooood wrestling this year. I also "heard" EF got a free agent from another Marion County school. I believe another state place winner from 2016 is back despite being injured and out last season.

4. My friend "Truesouthfaninweirton" told me that Madonna could have their best team ever. If they have a better regional qualification than last season, look for them to run after the single A title.

I just hope all is decided on the mat and not in the doctor's office (dermatologist, orthopedic, etc).

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:40 pm

Why is no one mentioning spring mills? They have a new coach who was the best wrestler in WV history. if his wrestlers were from Parkersburg they would all be highly ranked. Watch out for for spring mills aaa

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:48 pm

I'll always take Indy first but AA is going to be exciting this year. I know it is hard to believe but I think indy might be better than it was last year. Laugh now but watch out for these kids. They have a lot of Hart.
The bees look to put a string of points up in the murderers row.
Point pleasant is maturing more and more and bringing in more promising young ones. I don't think point is a contender this year but darn sure are a spoiler. They are a contender starting next year and will be for the foreseeable future. George is handing bonecutter some inherited talent.

A will be a close team race. Wirt is the favorite but madonna could make it fun.

5count

Postby 5count » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:28 pm

ZZChooseTop wrote:Why is no one mentioning spring mills? They have a new coach who was the best wrestler in WV history. if his wrestlers were from Parkersburg they would all be highly ranked. Watch out for for spring mills aaa

Who is the new coach?

TrueSouthFanInPburg

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:42 am

B J Haynes would dominate 195 ! That would be a great move for him with returning state champ Porter at 220 unless he decides to go 285. Not to mention Amos at 220 and Wood from W.P.----- AND GATOR THE TITLE OF THIS WAS "VERY EARLY BUT LETS GET SOME CHATTER STARTED" so my picks were guesses assuming those guys would make those weights. I still lift with T.J. and i see several of the wrestlers at Planet Fitness and they keep me informed of the probable classes the guys are going to compete in. I talk to T J Huffman at the gym and I think I have him talked into going out. If so he will go 170 to fill our probable only weak link.

Assault Rifle

Postby Assault Rifle » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:42 am

Bearhugger wrote:
Assault Rifle wrote:Dear Bearhugger,

I couldn't even predict Independence's line up right now, let alone who is going to be in what weight classes throughout the state. I will tell you this:

1. The toughest weight class in the state will be in AA/A this season. It will also fall somewhere between 126 and 138. There are too many talented kids coming back that are going to fall somewhere in these three weight classes. 145 and 152 could be bad places to be also.

2. 120 could look real tough on paper but I think one wrestler will be in a league of his own here.

3. East Fairmont is an interesting conversation piece. Last season, EF had "Murderer's Row" and the best JV kid in the state. A few weeks ago, I got some input from my friend "Truesouthfanineasternfairmont". He gave me his snapshot of who was slated for where. It appears "Murderer's ROW" had a member GROW. EF has some decisions to make. Do they want to do what is best for the team or what might be best for a couple of individuals. If they can get all five of these kids in the lineup, it will make for some gooooood wrestling this year. I also "heard" EF got a free agent from another Marion County school. I believe another state place winner from 2016 is back despite being injured and out last season.

4. My friend "Truesouthfaninweirton" told me that Madonna could have their best team ever. If they have a better regional qualification than last season, look for them to run after the single A title.

I just hope all is decided on the mat and not in the doctor's office (dermatologist, orthopedic, etc).

Thanks Bearhugger. Always insightful!

Assault Rifle

Postby Assault Rifle » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:26 pm

Bearhugger....

Regarding your intel....Who is supposed to be in Murderer's Row and at what weight class? And who is the in-county transplant?

Thanks....AR

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:20 pm

Assault Rifle wrote:Bearhugger....

Regarding your intel....Who is supposed to be in Murderer's Row and at what weight class? And who is the in-county transplant?

Thanks....AR

Murderer's Row 2017: Whorton, Flint, Laya, Whorton.

Best JV in the state 2017: Cassucio

In-County Transplant: I should not say whereas I only have one source.

Parkersburg South picked up a pretty good kid that might help them out some this season. :)

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:38 pm

Bearhugger wrote:1. The toughest weight class in the state will be in AA/A this season. It will also fall somewhere between 126 and 138. There are too many talented kids coming back that are going to fall somewhere in these three weight classes. 145 and 152 could be bad places to be also.

I agree with you about the others, but think you hit the nail on the head predicting 145 to be a bad place to be. With 1st-5th placers all returning and four of them being seniors this year, that could be one heck of a tough weight class (assuming they all stay at 145).

One to watch is Grafton's Dillon Williams (no relation to me). He lost his first match by 1 point then wrestled all the way back to the 3rd place match which he also lost by just 1 point.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:45 pm

coach_williams wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:1. The toughest weight class in the state will be in AA/A this season. It will also fall somewhere between 126 and 138. There are too many talented kids coming back that are going to fall somewhere in these three weight classes. 145 and 152 could be bad places to be also.

I agree with you about the others, but think you hit the nail on the head predicting 145 to be a bad place to be. With 1st-5th placers all returning and four of them being seniors this year, that could be one heck of a tough weight class (assuming they all stay at 145).

One to watch is Grafton's Dillon Williams (no relation to me). He lost his first match by 1 point then wrestled all the way back to the 3rd place match which he also lost by just 1 point.

Independence will have a top kid at 145. I don't know who it will be yet, but regardless, it will be a former finalist. Could be between five different kids.

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:57 pm

I once went to Planet Fitness and they had free pizza, a massaging waterbed, tanning beds, free haircuts and some real heavy steel things. Even a lunk-o-meter!

Hey, don't laugh.....I said free pizza! :roll:
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:45 pm

Gator wrote:I once went to Planet Fitness and they had free pizza, a massaging waterbed, tanning beds, free haircuts and some real heavy steel things. Even a lunk-o-meter!

Hey, don't laugh.....I said free pizza! :roll:

It is funny you brought this up. I am currently in a Planet Fitness in Cranberry Township, PA. It is two stories. I thought of ole TSFIP. He would love this place.

I did have a 10 minute hydro massage.

Assault Rifle

Postby Assault Rifle » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Bearhugger wrote:

Thanks....AR

Parkersburg South picked up a pretty good kid that might help them out some this season. :)[/quote

Are you saying that Murderer's Row hasn't changed weights since last year?

Gator

Postby Gator » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:23 pm

Assault Rifle wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

Thanks....AR

Parkersburg South picked up a pretty good kid that might help them out some this season. :)[/quote

Are you saying that Murderer's Row hasn't changed weights since last year?

If the 4 starters on Murder's Row from last year move up or around, I'm guessing that Cassucio can move into the starting lineup.
Moderator WV Mat

Gator

Postby Gator » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:36 pm

I have several coaches on the East Fairmont team that are my friends. I hope that coach Geary and the gang can fill a couple of the upper weight holes they had last year. Year after year they field a competitive team that is well coached and fun to watch.

So happy they are on South's schedule this year and look forward to seeing some great matches on 12-21.
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:32 pm

Gator wrote:I have several coaches on the East Fairmont team that are my friends. I hope that coach Geary and the gang can fill a couple of the upper weight holes they had last year. Year after year they field a competitive team that is well coached and fun to watch.

So happy they are on South's schedule this year and look forward to seeing some great matches on 12-21.

12 21 aka 1221 is going to be a date where all of WV wrestling should stop except for what is going down at the ROAC.

Some returning state place winners will go 0-2 that day.

P.H.D.

Postby P.H.D. » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:27 pm

What is ROAC?

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:05 pm

P.H.D. wrote:What is ROAC?

Rod Oldham Athletic Center...home of the South Patriots.
Moderator WV Mat

P.H.D.

Postby P.H.D. » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:22 pm

Thanks Gator, I did not know.

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:21 pm

AAA

2017 Place Winners (Includes the Valtrex States)
Weight: 106
1st: Brandon Holt, St Albans So 39- 4
2nd: Matthew Simpson, University So 24- 7
3rd: Garret Donahue, Parkersburg Fr 35- 13
4th: London Bowen, Huntington So 22- 16
5th: Tucker Windland, Parkersburg South So 29- 14
6th: Ethan Gray, John Marshall Fr 32- 16
Weight: 113
1st: Joey Miller, Musselman Fr 43- 3
2nd: Jake Staud, University Fr 32- 7
3rd: Hunter Ackerman, Parkersburg So 33- 12
4th: Ian Irizarry, Parkersburg South Fr 30- 15
6th: Canon Welker, Wheeling Park Fr 24- 14
Weight: 120
1st: John Martin Best, Parkersburg Fr 33- 5
2nd: Brayden Roberts, Parkersburg South Fr 36- 12
3rd: Tristan Adkins, Huntington So 33- 15
4th: Jordan Wood, John Marshall So 22- 8
5th: Austin McCartney, Buckhannon-Upshur So 31- 12
6th: Jacob Simpson, University So 29- 13
Weight: 126
1st: Luke Martin, Parkersburg South Jr 29- 5
3rd: Jack Lorea, George Washington Jr 44- 8
4th: Austin Love, John Marshall So 32- 15
5th: Tyler Cutright, Buckhannon-Upshur So 32- 12
6th: Eric Dreyer, Washington Jr 39- 14
Weight: 132
1st: Mikey Shamblin, Parkersburg South So 39- 13
3rd: Hunter Burdette, Ripley Jr 34- 11
4th: Bo Moler, Parkersburg Fr 30- 19
5th: Braeden Pauley, University So 26- 19
6th: Jacob Smithson, Buckhannon-Upshur Fr 30- 12
Weight: 138
1st: Caleb Haynes, St Albans Fr 36- 6
Weight: 145
1st: Josh Humphreys, St Albans Jr 45- 2
2nd: Stephen Carder, Parkersburg Jr 31- 8
3rd: Jacob Starkey, Ripley Jr 41- 10
4th: Owen Zeiders, University Jr 35- 8
6th: Raequan McCray, Riverside So 29- 14 Weight: 152
1st: Zane Lanham, Huntington So 34- 6
2nd: Zane Hinzman, Parkersburg South So 30- 5
3rd: Robbie Holley, Cabell Midland Jr 33- 5
4th: Matt Fox, Parkersburg Jr 22- 12
6th: Jacob Berisford, John Marshall So 36- 16
Weight: 160
1st: Cameron Pine, Washington Jr 50- 0
3rd: John Nash, Wheeling Park Jr 46- 6
4th: Drew Dunbar, Parkersburg South Jr 37- 11
5th: Logan Nay, Parkersburg Jr 27- 19
Weight: 170
3rd: Kaleb Simpkins, Wheeling Park Jr 42- 9
4th: Jace Bradbury, Washington Fr 39- 11
5th: Isaiha Casto, St Albans So 37- 10
6th: Leslie Campbell, Greenbrier East Jr 34- 19
Weight: 182
4th: Mason Fischer, Cabell Midland Jr 24- 14
6th: Brandon Durrah, John Marshall Jr 30- 22
Weight: 195
2nd: Austin Loew, Wheeling Park Jr 31- 14
3rd: Dustin Swisher, Hampshire So 51- 4
4th: Cody Stanley, Spring Valley So 44- 13
5th: Jacob Biller, Jefferson Jr 29- 8
Weight: 220
1st: Owen Porter, Spring Valley Jr 51- 2
3rd: Dylan Wood, Wheeling Park So 37- 13
4th: B.J. Haynes, Ripley Jr 40- 6
Weight: 285
1st: Chaston Holley, Cabell Midland Jr 29- 1
2nd: Louden Haga, Parkersburg South So 32- 9
4th: Tyree Swafford, Woodrow Wilson Jr 45- 9

Factor In the injured (I am sure that I am missing some but these are the names that I see when I look at the forum)
Shelek (WP) 120
Amos (PS) 220
Miller (Preston) 195

This list also does not factor in the senior who wrestled as a youth but has not wrestled in high school and decides that he is going to give it one more try even though he hasn't been on the mat in a few years. Saw this last year with Ripley. I am hearing that South and GW could also have prodigal sons return for this season.

This list does not factor in incoming freshmen. Don't think freshmen are enough of a factor to worry about? Look at last years results, many 9th graders on the podium.

Putting any of these kids in weight classes right now is impossible.

Kids this age will grow. Do not be shocked when the 113 from last season is 145 as a sophomore and graduates as a 182. It happens.
Kids this age will shrink. Do not be shocked when the 285 from last season discovers that he looks and feels good at 195 and that the girls notice him when he is under 200. The awards in Huntington (or elsewhere if Valtrex sponsors again) does not compare with female attention for many teenage boys.
Kids this age will find other interests: girls, cars, booze, drugs, other sports, video games, jobs.
Kids this age will get a lot better quickly. The multi sport crowd will be shocked when a kid that little johnny used to beat suddenly gets a lot better and kicks little johnny's butt this year. They will blame everything from PED's to the focusing on one sport being unhealthy to justify the butt kicking when in reality little johnny was busy pretending in the weight room on chest day because he did not want to be too tired to throw a baseball, or skipped leg day because he did not want to seem slow to the football/soccer coach in the evening running sessions. Do that enough and little johnny is "burned out" (shocked because he has to work for wins that used to be easy) and wants to focus on other things (the problem is that he has been focused on too many other things).

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:31 pm

2017 AA Winners
Weight: 106
1st: Noah Hodges, Grafton (AA) So 59- 0
2nd: Connor Spaulding, Ritchie County (A) So 40- 4
3rd: Blake Whorton, East Fairmont (AA) Fr 44- 6
5th: Ashby West, Oak Hill (AA) Fr 42- 9
6th: Aidan Gibson, Bridgeport (AA) Fr 29- 8
Weight: 113
1st: Liam Lusher, Independence (AA) So 30- 8
2nd: George Smith, Point Pleasant (AA) So 43- 8
3rd: Lane Flint, East Fairmont (AA) So 46- 6
4th: Keith Skaggs, Grafton (AA) Jr 57- 3
5th: Justin Stover, Herbert Hoover (AA) Jr 36- 7
6th: Brantley Guckert, Williamstown (A) Jr 31- 20
Weight: 120
1st: Peyton Hall, Oak Glen (AA) Fr 43- 3
2nd: Cole Laya, East Fairmont (AA) Jr 45- 2
3rd: Dylan Dennison, Braxton County (AA) Jr 56- 2
5th: Sean Dawson, Independence (AA) Fr 33- 13
6th: Wyatt Powell, Wirt County (A) So 32- 8
Weight: 126
1st: Caleb Rea, Weir (AA) Jr 43- 1
2nd: Brock Whorton, East Fairmont (AA) Jr 46- 5
3rd: Tanner Harris, Independence (AA) Jr 37- 11
5th: Gage Vincent, Braxton County (AA) Jr 54- 5
6th: Ethan Swick, Petersburg (AA) Jr 48- 18
Weight: 132
1st: Hunter Taylor, Independence (AA) Jr 28- 11
2nd: Alec Cook, Madonna (A) So 49- 7
5th: Bryant Dixon, Keyser (AA) Jr 42- 11
6th: Zach Davis, Berkeley Springs (AA) Jr 46- 10
Weight: 138
2nd: Austin Pumphrey, Frankfort (AA) Jr 37- 3
4th: Hunter Mitchell, Lewis County (AA) Jr 43- 7
5th: Jake Whiting, Roane County (AA) So 40- 10
6th: Gamon Trigg, Bluefield (AA) So 36- 5
Weight: 145
1st: Connor Gibson, Independence (AA) Jr 25- 5
2nd: Davy Mundey, Berkeley Springs (AA) Jr 58- 4
3rd: Hunter Moore, Wirt County (A) Jr 35- 5
4th: Dillon Williams, Grafton (AA) Fr 49- 13
5th: Bailey Alderman, Richwood (A) Jr 41- 11
Weight: 152
1st: Haegan Harvey, Independence (AA) Jr 23- 10
2nd: Chase Patterson, Greenbrier West (A) Fr 42- 4
5th: Tristan Fox, Keyser (AA) Fr 36- 15
6th: Jay Hall, Winfield (AA) Jr 51- 10
Weight: 160
2nd: Nathan Warden, Independence (AA) Fr 28- 13
3rd: Vincent Devaney, Nitro (AA) Jr 33- 6
5th: Shayden Daugherty, Keyser (AA) Jr 41- 13
6th: Cooper Hineman, Bridgeport (AA) Jr 33- 10
Weight: 170
1st: Jackson Moomau, Petersburg (AA) Jr 57- 1
3rd: Adam Daniels, Independence (AA) Jr 39- 10
4th: Dylan Kincell, East Fairmont (AA) Jr 38- 13
6th: Eric Workman, Liberty Raleigh (AA) Jr 45- 14
Weight: 182
4th: Alec Burgess, Petersburg (AA) So 55- 8
Weight: 195
2nd: Paul Frampton, Nitro (AA) Jr 37- 3
6th: Trey Gunnoe, Independence (AA) Jr 41- 12
Weight: 220
4th: Christian Lively, Oak Hill (AA) Jr 39- 8
Weight: 285
1st: Zach Frazier, Fairmont Senior (AA) Fr 39- 2
4th: Trey White, Pikeview (AA) Jr 32- 5
5th: Garrett Ware, Grafton (AA) Jr 44- 5
6th: Cory Chipps, Tyler Consolidated (A) Jr 34- 9

Same things hold true that I said in AAA post above. Also factor in that Warden and Bowdy have moved away for Indy, there are good JV's waiting in the wings at East Fairmont and Indy who would have placed last year so while you do not see their names on this list, they will impact the tournament this year.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:41 pm

ZZChooseTop wrote: They will blame everything from PED's to the focusing on one sport being unhealthy to justify the butt kicking when in reality little johnny was busy pretending

I only hear this "focusing on one sport" thing when wrestlers are being discussed. Their seems to be some idea in our communities and schools that football players who only lift and play football are just fine and a basketball player that just attends camps in the off season and plays basketball is well rounded, but if a wrestler just lifts or attends camps in the off season and wrestles then somebody gets the bright idea that he should do other sports too. It is almost like their is a belief that only football and/or basketball can make you a complete person.

Diamond

Postby Diamond » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:25 pm

I've got nothing bad to say about kids that love football,soccer,fall baseball or whatever but if your first day on the mat is the first day of your school practice then you'd ,more times than not, be fooling yourself with dreams of winning. Granted there are exceptions and that is the guys that wrestled all summer until football started. The rest are easy pins.

Return to “High School Wrestling”