Very early buts lets get some chatter started...

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Assault Rifle

Very early buts lets get some chatter started...

Postby Assault Rifle » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:37 am

I know it much too early to tell but who is everybody's favorite to win a state championship this year? Please list your guestimates on who will be at what weight and who will be the one's to beat at a respective weight class. Have a nice day everyone!

FBISURVALINCEVAN1

Re: Very early buts lets get some chatter started...

Postby FBISURVALINCEVAN1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:02 pm

Braxton Amos decimates all.

jsams

Postby jsams » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Yea what he said ⬆

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:05 pm

I'll take the wrestlers that are putting the work in over the Spring and Summer to win in the Winter.

It's a bit too early to guess at the weight classes because no one knows.
Moderator WV Mat

Hard Head

Postby Hard Head » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:01 pm

Murderer's Row......Who's in the "row" this year?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:55 am

Hard Head wrote:Murderer's Row......Who's in the "row" this year?

That is an interesting question. Last season, Murderer's Row had four top wrestlers and possibly the best JV kid in the state (based on wins over eventual state tournament place winners). However, rumor on the street is Laya could be at 120 AGAIN. In addition, recent readings show where Brock Whorton is destined to Clarion and projected to wrestle at 125(or whatever the college class is). He might go 126 again.

I have no intel on weight and size of Flint, Cassucio or Blake Whorton, but I doubt any of them will be ready to handle 132 or 138. 106 and 113 appear open.

Time will tell.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:57 am

FBISURVALINCEVAN1 wrote:Braxton Amos decimates all.

It will be interesting to see where the returning AAA 220 pounders end up. Haynes/Ripley and the 195 and 220 pounders from Spring Valley.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:11 pm

Parkersburg South will run away with the team title and possibly break a record. The race will be for who is second. AAA will probably be this way for many years to come.

Independence will run away with the AA title.

Single A could be interesting.

Madonna will have many quality wrestlers who could score many points in Huntington. However, they will have to get through a brutal region.

Greenbrier West returns high numbers and should do well qualifying many, maybe all for states.

Wirt County returns many and their region is on the weaker side.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:08 pm

greenbrier west should also get a few freshman who should be some point scorers too. Noah Brown to name someone.

who are some other freshman who could make some noise?

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:20 am

Bearhugger wrote:Parkersburg South will run away with the team title and possibly break a record. The race will be for who is second. AAA will probably be this way for many years to come.

S

Independence running away with it may not be as much of a given as South running away with it.

Take into consideration that Adams and Hart are gone. Another finalist by the name of Warden is gone. Over 60 to 70 points removed right away. Compile that with the fact that they are starting to pigeon hole on sizes with trying to fit Harris, Taylor, Hart, Harvey, Gibson and maybe missing one or two others in at optimal weights, which means more than likely a couple will have to shift to wrestle up and out of optimal weights.

Lusher won his weight at 113, but can't see him holding that weight this year and he will not be favored to repeat at 120 or 126 with the likelyhood of Whorton, Laya, Hall (OG) still sitting in those weight classes. It is highly likely that East Fairmont could be favored to finish with higher points than Indy at 106, 113, 120, 126, and possibly 132, depending on some weights. Other AA/A wrestlers in Rea, Cook could cause problems for Indy at 132, 138 weight classes, depending on pill draws could be swing points to another team. East Fairmont's Kotsko held wins over Warden last year and if an injury would not have sat him out for 1 month prior to regionals may have been the runner up at Warden's weight class last year. East will have a returning place winner in Dylan Kincell who has not faired well against Daniels, but if Daniel's moves up, which is likely and Kincell remained at 160, East would then likely steal another weight class from Indy on more points scored.

Indy will hold an edge going into Huntington with the ability to qualify the majority (entire) team through a much easier region tournament as opposed to the Region I AA gauntlet, but if East can get a few more point scorers through the region, get some help from Oak Glen, Weir, Madonna and an upset or two at the state tournament, I don't think a run away like last year is likely. Time will tell.

Notice I did not mention any step down for Indy on the coaching change, this outsider looking in fully believes the guy that should have received more credit for Indy's recent success is now in charge. Coach Warden is a great coach, but he inherited the hard work and years of coaching through youth and Middle School of the newly promoted Coach Hart who knows these guys better than anyone.

I think the race could be a little more interesting this year than in years past.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:16 pm

maskedman wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:Parkersburg South will run away with the team title and possibly break a record. The race will be for who is second. AAA will probably be this way for many years to come.

S

Independence running away with it may not be as much of a given as South running away with it.

Take into consideration that Adams and Hart are gone. Another finalist by the name of Warden is gone. Over 60 to 70 points removed right away. Compile that with the fact that they are starting to pigeon hole on sizes with trying to fit Harris, Taylor, Hart, Harvey, Gibson and maybe missing one or two others in at optimal weights, which means more than likely a couple will have to shift to wrestle up and out of optimal weights.

Lusher won his weight at 113, but can't see him holding that weight this year and he will not be favored to repeat at 120 or 126 with the likelyhood of Whorton, Laya, Hall (OG) still sitting in those weight classes. It is highly likely that East Fairmont could be favored to finish with higher points than Indy at 106, 113, 120, 126, and possibly 132, depending on some weights. Other AA/A wrestlers in Rea, Cook could cause problems for Indy at 132, 138 weight classes, depending on pill draws could be swing points to another team. East Fairmont's Kotsko held wins over Warden last year and if an injury would not have sat him out for 1 month prior to regionals may have been the runner up at Warden's weight class last year. East will have a returning place winner in Dylan Kincell who has not faired well against Daniels, but if Daniel's moves up, which is likely and Kincell remained at 160, East would then likely steal another weight class from Indy on more points scored.

Indy will hold an edge going into Huntington with the ability to qualify the majority (entire) team through a much easier region tournament as opposed to the Region I AA gauntlet, but if East can get a few more point scorers through the region, get some help from Oak Glen, Weir, Madonna and an upset or two at the state tournament, I don't think a run away like last year is likely. Time will tell.

Notice I did not mention any step down for Indy on the coaching change, this outsider looking in fully believes the guy that should have received more credit for Indy's recent success is now in charge. Coach Warden is a great coach, but he inherited the hard work and years of coaching through youth and Middle School of the newly promoted Coach Hart who knows these guys better than anyone.

I think the race could be a little more interesting this year than in years past.

All good points, except Kincell wrestled 170, not 160 last year. Indy also lost HWT Boyce who was one win away from placing last year.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:28 pm

maskedman wrote:

S

Interesting analysis. Your observations are sound. The "other" schools and the pill could also help Independence just as well. Is Blake Whorton and Flint both going to be back at 106 and 113?

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:37 am

Dont sleep on Point Pleasant.
Good young team

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:11 pm

noshowjoe wrote:Dont sleep on Point Pleasant.
Good young team

Good Middle School program with good kids. Coach Bonecutter has to be smiling! :D
Moderator WV Mat

Assault Rifle

Postby Assault Rifle » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:39 pm

Bump

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:20 pm

Best from PHS at 132; Amos which ever weight class he wants! Souths Martin I'm guessing 138;

Point Pleasant will surprise some and always think Ripley brings a solid team (Ripley very competitive for the size of that school) PHS; Huntington; and University will be tough teams also.

FBISURVALINCEVAN1

Postby FBISURVALINCEVAN1 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:26 pm

Hard Head wrote:Murderer's Row......Who's in the "row" this year?

A few other names to throw in the mix in the lower weights. The top 2 that come to mind fair from Grafton which is Noah Hodges (returning 106lb champ) and Keith Skaggs (4th 113lb).

TrueSouthFanInPburg

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:58 am

106-donahue-phs, 113-holt-sa, 120-miller-muss, 126-roberts-ps,132-best-phs, 138-martin-ps, 145-shamblin-ps, 152-haynes-sa or hinzman-ps, 160-humphries-ps, 170-pine-wash, 182-lanham-hunt or dunbar-ps, 195-swisher-hamp 220-amos-ps, 285-haga-ps. other contenders ; carder-phs, loew-wp, nash-wp, holley-cm, porter-sv, stocket-uni and carman-jm.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:02 am

TrueSouthFanInPburg wrote:106-donahue-phs, 113-holt-sa, 120-miller-muss, 126-roberts-ps,132-best-phs, 138-martin-ps, 145-shamblin-ps, 152-haynes-sa or hinzman-ps, 160-humphries-ps, 170-pine-wash, 182-lanham-hunt or dunbar-ps, 195-swisher-hamp 220-amos-ps, 285-haga-ps. other contenders ; carder-phs, loew-wp, nash-wp, holley-cm, porter-sv, stocket-uni and carman-jm.

That's assuming that those wrestlers fall in those weight classes, which they may or may not. Kinda early to say........
Moderator WV Mat

5count

Postby 5count » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:56 pm

The smaller weights are gonna be brutal in the AA division especially from 113-132. I am also hearing of a few transports from upper class men in the AAA division. If rumors are true? South will break every record this state has seen!

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:58 pm

TrueSouthFanInPburg wrote:106-donahue-phs, 113-holt-sa, 120-miller-muss, 126-roberts-ps,132-best-phs, 138-martin-ps, 145-shamblin-ps, 152-haynes-sa or hinzman-ps, 160-humphries-ps, 170-pine-wash, 182-lanham-hunt or dunbar-ps, 195-swisher-hamp 220-amos-ps, 285-haga-ps. other contenders ; carder-phs, loew-wp, nash-wp, holley-cm, porter-sv, stocket-uni and carman-jm.

Wow that ole boy does his homework; very solid picks
! I think every returning South wrestler from last year has a shot of winning state titles too. Not sure who will be knocked out of Starting lineup but that team was solid last year from light to heavy weight classes. A few of their JVers could probably place also! Ackerman and Donahue from PHS will be in the thick of things too!

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:00 pm

Also Carder from PHS could be a very strong candidate for state champ

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:21 am

As a rule I never post anything on here until after Labor Day, but my cousin Truesouthfaninpburg's picks are so spot on that I had to post a response!

I agree with ALL of his predictions!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:55 am

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:As a rule I never post anything on here until after Labor Day, but my cousin Truesouthfaninpburg's picks are so spot on that I had to post a response!

I agree with ALL of his predictions!

After talking to my friend Truesouthfaninripley, if BJ Haynes cuts to 195, his name has to be mentioned.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:00 pm

5count wrote:The smaller weights are gonna be brutal in the AA division especially from 113-132. I am also hearing of a few transports from upper class men in the AAA division. If rumors are true? South will break every record this state has seen!

There will be some tough kids in AA ranging from 106 to 120. The brutality will be packed in more between 126 and 145. 152 and 160 will not be a cake walk either.

Recent intel received indicates that Weir's Rea weighs 150. Indy's Harris weighs 151. I am sure this is size and muscle on these two and not flab.

If this is true, then expect these two to be up around 138/145 rather than down around 126/132.

South will continue to be the big fish in a pond that is drying up.

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:08 pm

I dont think AAA is drying up.
If you wrestle all classes together i think AAA walkes away with 10 of 14 state titles

FBISURVALINCEVAN1

Postby FBISURVALINCEVAN1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:43 pm

noshowjoe wrote:I dont think AAA is drying up.
If you wrestle all classes together i think AAA walkes away with 10 of 14 state titles

10 of 14 wow. Quite the comedian aren't we. I'd say AAA would have 7 maybe 8 state titles but surely not 10.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:44 pm

FBISURVALINCEVAN1 wrote:

10 of 14 wow. Quite the comedian aren't we. I'd say AAA would have 7 maybe 8 state titles but surely not 10.

AGREE

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:53 pm

I received a text from my friend Truesouthfaninbulgaria. He said if you take South out of the equation, the AA walks away with most of the titles.

At a glance, I would have to agree. In this case, we have circled right back to South being the big fish in a pond that is drying up.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:54 pm

Bearhugger wrote:

I received a text from my friend Truesouthfaninbulgaria. He said if you take South out of the equation, the AA walks away with most of the titles.

At a glance, I would have to agree. In this case, we have circled right back to South being the big fish in a pond that is drying up.

Why is the pond drying up?

Return to “High School Wrestling”