Weight Training & Weight Cutting

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Weight Training & Weight Cutting

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:06 pm

Here is some interesting trivia and "circumstantial" evident pertaining to Fargo.

The two wrestlers who finished the highest are both weight training beasts that also didn't have to watch their weight (food intake) in the final days (maybe weeks) before Fargo.

Disclaimer:
There is nothing else implied with this post. There are no subliminal messages.

PS: Bring on the "new member" (probably joins today) and then starts trashing this post. Patterns have been established over the past two to three years.

Enjoy!!!!!!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Gator

Re: Weight Training & Weight Cutting

Postby Gator » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:29 pm

New member here! ;) Braxton put on some substantial weight while recovering from knee surgery. He started working on his mat time in mid May and cut his weight to 215. He did lift and work his upper body before mid May and looked good. Louden became ill mid season last year and lost about 30 lbs. He's back up now and he's a beast at power lifting.

It will be an interesting season coming up.
Moderator WV Mat

chinwhip

Postby chinwhip » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:38 pm

Greetings from Ohio
I feel like the secret to success in hs wrestling is lifting for power. My son is an incoming Junior and a 2 time placer. He lifts year round in an old dirty gym and uses basic powerlifting movements (deadlift, squat, bench press) low reps and heavy as possible with a monthly max. He also cut last year from 140 to 113 and his freshman year from 132 to 106. We wrestled with Braxton on the Schoolboy national team 3 years ago and last year on Ohios Fargo team and he's a 1 in a million kid (very fun to watch).

Jbee

Postby Jbee » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:22 pm

Strange, both weight trained by some "fat guy".........
Lifes tough....Wear a Helmet!

rodrego

Postby rodrego » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:28 pm

No kidding Hugger....a modern athlete needs to lift....wow. Maybe this Amos kid actually knows how to grapple. Maybe he is trained by a Russian....I'm sure he lifted weights....I've had ACL reconstruction...u lift weights a lot especially the first three months...out of boredom. Thanks for bringing this topic back up .....like Groundhog Day.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:51 pm

Bearhugger wrote:Here is some interesting trivia and "circumstantial" evident pertaining to Fargo.

The two wrestlers who finished the highest are both weight training beasts that also didn't have to watch their weight (food intake) in the final days (maybe weeks) before Fargo.

Disclaimer:
There is nothing else implied with this post. There are no subliminal messages.

PS: Bring on the "new member" (probably joins today) and then starts trashing this post. Patterns have been established over the past two to three years.

Enjoy!!!!!!

I preach weight training nonstop to wrestlers. We have a kid that was JV at 106 last year (actually weighed like 92) and I told him that the number one thing he could do to get better was hit the weights this summer and add 10 lbs of muscle. The kids that are spending this summer eating donuts and chips and playing Xbox will show it in November and the kids that are spending this summer lifting, drilling and going to camps will show it in February.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:18 pm

rodrego wrote:No kidding Hugger....a modern athlete needs to lift....wow. Maybe this Amos kid actually knows how to grapple. Maybe he is trained by a Russian....I'm sure he lifted weights....I've had ACL reconstruction...u lift weights a lot especially the first three months...out of boredom. Thanks for bringing this topic back up .....like Groundhog Day.

Here is some interesting trivia and "circumstantial" evident pertaining to Fargo. KEYWORDS "TRIVIA", "CIRCUMSTANTIAL"

Disclaimer:
There is nothing else implied with this post. There are no subliminal messages. PLEASE READ THIS SENTENCE AGAIN.

PS: Bring on the "new member" (probably joins today) and then starts trashing this post. Patterns have been established over the past two to three years. REPLACE "NEW MEMBER" WITH "EXISTING MEMBER"

Enjoy!!!!!! TRY NEXT TIME.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:16 pm

Nutrition is key and feeling energetic helps I don't like to see wrestlers cutting weight. I know there are several that run away from competition to place higher. I know I will get criticized for this post but this is important for the long term of health to the wrestlers

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:02 am

vortexfan wrote:Nutrition is key and feeling energetic helps I don't like to see wrestlers cutting weight. I know there are several that run away from competition to place higher. I know I will get criticized for this post but this is important for the long term of health to the wrestlers

I agree this should be a concern, especially in the lower weights.
Moderator WV Mat

Return to “High School Wrestling”