Team WV

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aaacoach54

Team WV

Postby aaacoach54 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:58 pm

I just wanted to inform everyone that I am stepping down as the State Chairman of Team WV. I am proud of the work that we did in preparing & taking many WV wrestlers to Fargo for the past 17 years. There are many coaches, parents, wrestlers, and sponsors that have made this possible through their love of WV Wrestling. It has been a very enjoyable experience for me to work with USA Wrestling. It is a great organization. Steve Riner will be the new state chairman. He has a good vision and plan for where we need to go as a state in freestyle & Greco. Steve has assisted me in preparing and coaching kids in Fargo for the past 5+ years. Ken Maisel will remain as the vice chair. With Steve, Ken, John Dempsey, Kyle Symons, and Coach Sam Henson WV is in very capable hands.

Coach Rob Archer

Heisenberg

Re: Team WV

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:18 am

How is the chairman position obtained? Is there a vote? How are coaches picked?

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks for your dedication to and hard work for the team coach. I am sure you will be missed.

aaacoach89

Postby aaacoach89 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:19 pm

Thanks for all you have done with Team WV Coach! It is appreciated and hasn't gone unnoticed. That trip to Fargo is a real eye opener for a lot of young wrestlers, and really puts things into perspective for them. Thank you

GsUpChooseDown

Postby GsUpChooseDown » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:29 pm

I'm curious to know if there are in bylaws in place for the process of hand selecting someone to take over?

aaacoach54

Postby aaacoach54 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:04 am

To answer the previous questions:

I called USA Wrestling for the details to this process. According to USAW, it is up to each individual state how the position is appointed. For the past 7 years, the same four people have volunteered consistently to coach/chaperone Team WV: John Dempsey, Steve Riner, Kyle Symons, and myself. For the past 10 years plus, Coach Ken Maisel has been the vice chair of Team WV. As vice chair, he has managed the bank account and hosted training camps. When I decided to step down, I talked to each of these individuals personally to let them know. I did not have anyone in mind for the job until Steve Riner volunteered for it. Of these experienced individuals who have assisted in running and organizing the team, Steve was unanimously picked by all of us.
Steve has had many responsibilities/jobs with Team WV. He knows what tasks need to be done to get the team prepared out there and he has a vision of what he wants to improve on. To put it plainly, he will do a much better job than I did. I plan on continuing to assist with Team WV. I hope our entire state supports them too.

Coach Rob Archer

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:08 am

Thanks for your service Rob. Good luck to Steve in going forward.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:18 am

Sounds good to me. The best way to insure you have someone with the knowledge of what needs done, and more importantly, the willingness to put in the time and effort, is to turn to someone who has already been devoting such time and effort for years.

aaacoach54 wrote:To answer the previous questions:

I called USA Wrestling for the details to this process. According to USAW, it is up to each individual state how the position is appointed. For the past 7 years, the same four people have volunteered consistently to coach/chaperone Team WV: John Dempsey, Steve Riner, Kyle Symons, and myself. For the past 10 years plus, Coach Ken Maisel has been the vice chair of Team WV. As vice chair, he has managed the bank account and hosted training camps. When I decided to step down, I talked to each of these individuals personally to let them know. I did not have anyone in mind for the job until Steve Riner volunteered for it. Of these experienced individuals who have assisted in running and organizing the team, Steve was unanimously picked by all of us.
Steve has had many responsibilities/jobs with Team WV. He knows what tasks need to be done to get the team prepared out there and he has a vision of what he wants to improve on. To put it plainly, he will do a much better job than I did. I plan on continuing to assist with Team WV. I hope our entire state supports them too.

Coach Rob Archer

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:39 am

guard0544 wrote:Sounds good to me. The best way to insure you have someone with the knowledge of what needs done, and more importantly, the willingness to put in the time and effort, is to turn to someone who has already been devoting such time and effort for years.

aaacoach54 wrote:To answer the previous questions:

Coach Rob Archer

I don't know how the moving parts work within Team WV, but I know that it takes dedication, work and love of kids to lead the team members. Thank you Coach Archer for your years of doing just this and for continuing to move it forward. I don't really know Coach Riner well, but wish him all the best. The ones that work as assistants behind the scenes are just as valuable. Ask 4X Fargo winner, Braxton Amos, about Coach Dempsey sometime. He battled in the trenches with Braxton and was there for him.
Moderator WV Mat

Return to “High School Wrestling”