WV USA Wrestling

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Heisenberg

WV USA Wrestling

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:01 am

After the announcement by Rob Archer that he was stepping down as the state chairman, I asked a question about the inner workings of the organization and how people get appointed to their positions. I know of several people who would be interested in being involved at some level but I received zero feedback. Certainly someone has to know something about this topic. There are so many of you out there that seem to be experts in every other topic. Did Heisenberg stump you? Should I have asked the question in a manner that included South and then maybe someone would have taken the bait? BearHugger is constantly going on about people getting involved and keeping kids involved in the off season. Do you sir know how to get involved with this organization on a statewide level? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

coach_williams

Re: WV USA Wrestling

Postby coach_williams » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:50 am

I am no expert on the subject, but I assume you would have to be a member of USA Wrestling and probably at least be a Bronze Level coach, which requires taking some courses and passing a test.

I would imagine answers to your questions can be found at the USA Wrestling website either on the Club Guide http://content.themat.com/forms/ClubGuide.pdf or the Charter a Club section on the site http://www.teamusa.org/usa-wrestling/cl ... ter-a-club

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:52 am

Heisenberg wrote:After the announcement by Rob Archer that he was stepping down as the state chairman, I asked a question about the inner workings of the organization and how people get appointed to their positions. I know of several people who would be interested in being involved at some level but I received zero feedback. Certainly someone has to know something about this topic. There are so many of you out there that seem to be experts in every other topic. Did Heisenberg stump you? Should I have asked the question in a manner that included South and then maybe someone would have taken the bait? BearHugger is constantly going on about people getting involved and keeping kids involved in the off season. Do you sir know how to get involved with this organization on a statewide level? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Using the links on the regional map, you can almost always find the contact phone number of each school's coach, principal and sometimes their assistant coach. Determine who is a member of whatever given organization or group you want to join. Contact them directly with your questions.

FOLLOW UP continuously until you get your answers.

On a similar note, be slow to accept that membership, change, etc takes years for approval. After much dialogue last season about "it taking at least TWO years for changes to be considered/approved", we all witnessed that "change" can happen with the wave of a hand. Three weight classes were postponed at the state tournament, a second state tournament was established and held and now the regional tournaments are happening two weeks before the states. Some of those decisions were made in 2 minutes, not 2 years.

Good luck!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Matofficial

Postby Matofficial » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:36 am

I have tried to hold back from posting anything on here because according to some I lack the social graces to express myself in an appropriate manner. Putting that aside what Robbie Archer posted on the forum is correct, well partly correct. The underlying issue is that each state as he said can do it the way they want. The part he left out is that the state organization can appoint according to their by-laws. The problem is WV has no state organization on record or at least by-laws at the USA national office according to USA National membership chairman Tony Black. He stated that he felt their should be an election. WV had 398 members last year and I think he said fifteen clubs. I don't remember the number of coaches but we had one official registered that worked tournaments in Ohio. Having been involved in United States Powerlifting as a president of that organization for years and former AAU state chair for wrestling why there is no election is obviously not the best way to run an organization in a democratic way . To give you an example Ohio's state chairs election is coming up soon. I spoke with their current chair and he could not imagine how it is possible to not have by-laws and an election. I am not sure why more people have not stepped up to make USA WV better. WVU coach Henson has provided more than his share of help to improve WV wrestling, so why not the rest of the state? The appropriate way to resolve this is to bring the members or club representatives to a state meeting and write some by-laws and then have an election.
David Jeffrey

Return to “High School Wrestling”