Super 32 Lone Wolves

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger
Posts: 2659
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:14 am

Super 32 Lone Wolves

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:27 pm

Here is a rundown of the "Lone Wolves" registered for Super 32, despite being on a team with numerous returning state tournament qualifiers(STQ):

Haynes/St. Albans. SA has six other wrestlers due back from last season's state qualifiers.

Staud/University. University also has 6 STQ due back. One for sure is occupied in football.

Lanham/Huntington. Five other STQ due back.

Pine/Washington. Six other STQ due back.

Carmen/John Marshall. EIGHT STQ due back. I have heard preliminary reports that at least of of these men will be attending Super 32.

If only one wrestler is going from these schools, there appears to be room in the same car for 2-3 other warriors.

J.W.
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:29 am

Re: Super 32 Lone Wolves

Postby J.W. » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:20 am

Not specifically related, but closely related, do you think that there would be more WV wrestlers competing at Nationals, Fargo, Journeymen, and Super 32 if the wrestlers that did not play football, or any other sport for that matter had a convenient location to practice during the time period of these tournaments, I don't know maybe like their own practice facility with their own coach. I know that the WVSSAC thinks that out of season coaching is the sign of Satan, but these are the tournaments that college coaches want to see wrestlers compete at. For the most part, their is not a college coach that witnesses a regional or staye tournament because they are invested in their own season. But tjey are all at these events. Economically this is not possible for a large majority of the state to travel to Ohio and PA to find clubs. Open optional year around coaching and you will see an increase in competitors at national events, you will see more kids go to college and compete. More kids earning scholarships, improvement in grades year around.

timamos
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:48 am

Re: Super 32 Lone Wolves

Postby timamos » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:02 am

I see your point for folkstyle tournaments like super 32 or NHSCA but you can't blame the wvssac for low WV Fargo numbers. Coaches get a bronze card and coach freestyle/Greco any time they so desire. WVSSAC has Olympic sport exception in the rules. If you get your bronze and open your room The kids that want to get better will be in the room, the kids and parents that don't will find an excuse as to why they can't. Money, burnout, vacation, dislike of freestyle and Greco, there will be a reason and it will not be their own fault of course.
One of the regular posters on this forum suggested that he couldn't send kids because it was too expensive. When discussing how we make it work, he stated that he believes that people driving by Walmart were more likely to give their change to my kid as opposed to his. Lol

You might be right for the folkstyle tournaments but I think EF has tried to have open mats in the past to get ready for big folkstyle tournaments. Were those well attended by EF kids? Other kids within a short drive? You have one of the best programs in the state and if they were not consistently coming to your place they won't at lesser programs.

MaleMatMaid
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:11 pm

Re: Super 32 Lone Wolves

Postby MaleMatMaid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:38 am

J.W. wrote:Not specifically related, but closely related, do you think that there would be more WV wrestlers competing at Nationals, Fargo, Journeymen, and Super 32 if the wrestlers that did not play football, or any other sport for that matter had a convenient location to practice during the time period of these tournaments, I don't know maybe like their own practice facility with their own coach. I know that the WVSSAC thinks that out of season coaching is the sign of Satan, but these are the tournaments that college coaches want to see wrestlers compete at. For the most part, their is not a college coach that witnesses a regional or staye tournament because they are invested in their own season. But tjey are all at these events. Economically this is not possible for a large majority of the state to travel to Ohio and PA to find clubs. Open optional year around coaching and you will see an increase in competitors at national events, you will see more kids go to college and compete. More kids earning scholarships, improvement in grades year around.


This is absolutely spot on! Why is this such a bad thing? If coaches are willing to spend their time with athletes that actually want to improve their wrestling abilities and take time out of their lives to do so, it shouldn't be frowned upon or discouraged in the least little bit.

Bearhugger
Posts: 2659
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:14 am

Re: Super 32 Lone Wolves

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:56 am

J.W. wrote:Not specifically related, but closely related, do you think that there would be more WV wrestlers competing at Nationals, Fargo, Journeymen, and Super 32 if the wrestlers that did not play football, or any other sport for that matter had a convenient location to practice during the time period of these tournaments, I don't know maybe like their own practice facility with their own coach. I know that the WVSSAC thinks that out of season coaching is the sign of Satan, but these are the tournaments that college coaches want to see wrestlers compete at. For the most part, their is not a college coach that witnesses a regional or staye tournament because they are invested in their own season. But tjey are all at these events. Economically this is not possible for a large majority of the state to travel to Ohio and PA to find clubs. Open optional year around coaching and you will see an increase in competitors at national events, you will see more kids go to college and compete. More kids earning scholarships, improvement in grades year around.


Yes I do. If the high schools could have open mat night 2 to 3 times a week, it would help wrestling at all levels. I also think it would help participation at the high school level. Can somebody provide any input on what logic is used by the WVSSAC to disallow open mat wrestling in the off season? Ironically, many school's have a wrestler's father as the head coach or as an assistant. I am sure they talk wrestling at home here and there.

Bearhugger
Posts: 2659
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:14 am

Re: Super 32 Lone Wolves

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:59 am

timamos wrote:I see your point for folkstyle tournaments like super 32 or NHSCA but you can't blame the wvssac for low WV Fargo numbers. Coaches get a bronze card and coach freestyle/Greco any time they so desire. WVSSAC has Olympic sport exception in the rules. If you get your bronze and open your room The kids that want to get better will be in the room, the kids and parents that don't will find an excuse as to why they can't. Money, burnout, vacation, dislike of freestyle and Greco, there will be a reason and it will not be their own fault of course.
One of the regular posters on this forum suggested that he couldn't send kids because it was too expensive. When discussing how we make it work, he stated that he believes that people driving by Walmart were more likely to give their change to my kid as opposed to his. Lol

You might be right for the folkstyle tournaments but I think EF has tried to have open mats in the past to get ready for big folkstyle tournaments. Were those well attended by EF kids? Other kids within a short drive? You have one of the best programs in the state and if they were not consistently coming to your place they won't at lesser programs.


Here is part of the solution. Get the bronze card and have "freestyle" practice. If the kids stray into folkstyle mode, then when the coach "sees" it, they can break the action and get them back to freestyle rules.

Bearhugger
Posts: 2659
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:14 am

Re: Super 32 Lone Wolves

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:10 am

timamos wrote:I see your point for folkstyle tournaments like super 32 or NHSCA but you can't blame the wvssac for low WV Fargo numbers. Coaches get a bronze card and coach freestyle/Greco any time they so desire. WVSSAC has Olympic sport exception in the rules. If you get your bronze and open your room The kids that want to get better will be in the room, the kids and parents that don't will find an excuse as to why they can't. Money, burnout, vacation, dislike of freestyle and Greco, there will be a reason and it will not be their own fault of course.
One of the regular posters on this forum suggested that he couldn't send kids because it was too expensive. When discussing how we make it work, he stated that he believes that people driving by Walmart were more likely to give their change to my kid as opposed to his. Lol

You might be right for the folkstyle tournaments but I think EF has tried to have open mats in the past to get ready for big folkstyle tournaments. Were those well attended by EF kids? Other kids within a short drive? You have one of the best programs in the state and if they were not consistently coming to your place they won't at lesser programs.


Until any and every kid gets up off their rear end, puts down the video game and grabs the donation can..............stands at Wal-Mart and tries...........then nobody can say a kid can't raise some money. I make trips to Pittsburgh occasionally. I stop in Flatwoods to fuel up. I once saw a fundraiser going on outside of Arby's. Keep in mind that Flatwoods is in Braxton County. It was young girls bumming for money for their softball team. When I came back out, there was the money can left unattended. The girls were down at another door squawking with some other girls. I called the girls back, told them that somebody could have stole their money and that they were not going to raise any money leaving the door unattended. I then gave them some money. I thought about the fundraising horror stories that I have heard that plague Braxton County. I think a little creativity along with a bronze card can work through most of these problems. Off season practice, fundraising, etc.

timamos
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:48 am

Re: Super 32 Lone Wolves

Postby timamos » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:27 am

Bearhugger wrote:
J.W. wrote:Not specifically related, but closely related, do you think that there would be more WV wrestlers competing at Nationals, Fargo, Journeymen, and Super 32 if the wrestlers that did not play football, or any other sport for that matter had a convenient location to practice during the time period of these tournaments, I don't know maybe like their own practice facility with their own coach. I know that the WVSSAC thinks that out of season coaching is the sign of Satan, but these are the tournaments that college coaches want to see wrestlers compete at. For the most part, their is not a college coach that witnesses a regional or staye tournament because they are invested in their own season. But tjey are all at these events. Economically this is not possible for a large majority of the state to travel to Ohio and PA to find clubs. Open optional year around coaching and you will see an increase in competitors at national events, you will see more kids go to college and compete. More kids earning scholarships, improvement in grades year around.


Yes I do. If the high schools could have open mat night 2 to 3 times a week, it would help wrestling at all levels. I also think it would help participation at the high school level. Can somebody provide any input on what logic is used by the WVSSAC to disallow open mat wrestling in the off season? Ironically, many school's have a wrestler's father as the head coach or as an assistant. I am sure they talk wrestling at home here and there.


Open mats are not illegal any more than open gyms. If coaches take the time to read the rule, call the wvssac and ask for guidance, there are easy answers to jw's questions. I do think that men like jw have the right mindset, extra work means extra opportunities for success. The sad reality is something that Miron says to his wrestlers all the time "your dad, your mom, your coach, they can't want it more than you do. If they want it more than you, you will find an excuse". I wish I could type with a Russian accent, it sounds much more impressive when he says it. If he got practices approved statewide 365 days a year, how many would show up in the offseason and how many would find a different reason to not be there?

Gator
Posts: 1590
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:11 pm
Location: South Parkersburg-Moderator WV Mat

Re: Super 32 Lone Wolves

Postby Gator » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:34 am

Bearhugger wrote:
timamos wrote:I see your point for folkstyle tournaments like super 32 or NHSCA but you can't blame the wvssac for low WV Fargo numbers. Coaches get a bronze card and coach freestyle/Greco any time they so desire. WVSSAC has Olympic sport exception in the rules. If you get your bronze and open your room The kids that want to get better will be in the room, the kids and parents that don't will find an excuse as to why they can't. Money, burnout, vacation, dislike of freestyle and Greco, there will be a reason and it will not be their own fault of course.
One of the regular posters on this forum suggested that he couldn't send kids because it was too expensive. When discussing how we make it work, he stated that he believes that people driving by Walmart were more likely to give their change to my kid as opposed to his. Lol

You might be right for the folkstyle tournaments but I think EF has tried to have open mats in the past to get ready for big folkstyle tournaments. Were those well attended by EF kids? Other kids within a short drive? You have one of the best programs in the state and if they were not consistently coming to your place they won't at lesser programs.


Until any and every kid gets up off their rear end, puts down the video game and grabs the donation can..............stands at Wal-Mart and tries...........then nobody can say a kid can't raise some money. I make trips to Pittsburgh occasionally. I stop in Flatwoods to fuel up. I once saw a fundraiser going on outside of Arby's. Keep in mind that Flatwoods is in Braxton County. It was young girls bumming for money for their softball team. When I came back out, there was the money can left unattended. The girls were down at another door squawking with some other girls. I called the girls back, told them that somebody could have stole their money and that they were not going to raise any money leaving the door unattended. I then gave them some money. I thought about the fundraising horror stories that I have heard that plague Braxton County. I think a little creativity along with a bronze card can work through most of these problems. Off season practice, fundraising, etc.



I'm for sharing the wealth of all America! (Feel the Bern!) :roll:

th.jpg
th.jpg (5.98 KiB) Viewed 2287 times
Moderator WV Mat

Cummings
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Hurricane
Contact:

Re: Super 32 Lone Wolves

Postby Cummings » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:47 am

The sad reality is something that Miron says to his wrestlers all the time "your dad, your mom, your coach, they can't want it more than you do. If they want it more than you, you will find an excuse".
That's a great point.

Teams have been practicing out of season for a long time. The USA Wrestling Clubs make it possible and more "allowable" in regards to the WVSSAC. Some teams/coaches have started private wrestling clubs in the area to make wrestling better. Competitive Edge is a club that comes to mind and I'm sure there are many others around the state.

Getting kids to practice out of season can be difficult or disheartening for coaches and their programs. Some coaches and adults do need to remember what it's like to be a teenager. Kids need to be kids sometimes.

In regards to the wrestlers going to Super 32, good luck boys.
[color=#FF0000]Lee Cummings

Bucktail
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:51 am

Re: Super 32 Lone Wolves

Postby Bucktail » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:32 am

J.W. wrote:Not specifically related, but closely related, do you think that there would be more WV wrestlers competing at Nationals, Fargo, Journeymen, and Super 32 if the wrestlers that did not play football, or any other sport for that matter had a convenient location to practice during the time period of these tournaments, I don't know maybe like their own practice facility with their own coach. I know that the WVSSAC thinks that out of season coaching is the sign of Satan, but these are the tournaments that college coaches want to see wrestlers compete at. For the most part, their is not a college coach that witnesses a regional or staye tournament because they are invested in their own season. But tjey are all at these events. Economically this is not possible for a large majority of the state to travel to Ohio and PA to find clubs. Open optional year around coaching and you will see an increase in competitors at national events, you will see more kids go to college and compete. More kids earning scholarships, improvement in grades year around.


I know of at least one that would compete if he wasn't playing football. There was a time when there was a consideration of quitting football to wrestle in events like the Super 32, but in the end, continuing to play football on a team with all of his childhood pals, helped by the fact the team has some talent, won out. For now, that decision has not been regretted.

J. Zeiders

User avatar
coach_williams
Posts: 538
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:06 pm

Re: Super 32 Lone Wolves

Postby coach_williams » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:23 am

Bearhugger wrote:
Yes I do. If the high schools could have open mat night 2 to 3 times a week, it would help wrestling at all levels. I also think it would help participation at the high school level. Can somebody provide any input on what logic is used by the WVSSAC to disallow open mat wrestling in the off season? Ironically, many school's have a wrestler's father as the head coach or as an assistant. I am sure they talk wrestling at home here and there.


They actually do not allow out of season coaching for any sport. The catch is that kids can play basketball and football almost anytime they want, but to voluntarily spend time wrestling they need to use the school's mat which leads to an expectation that they be supervised which then leads to a claim that they are being coached out of season. I even had one AD tell me that simply rolling out the mat and letting wrestlers drill on their own while a coach watched constituted coaching out of season (in his opinion).

Matofficial
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Re: Super 32 Lone Wolves

Postby Matofficial » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:55 am

Well coach Williams you might want to have your AD read the rules about coaching out of season as far as that goes it wouldn't hurt to have him brush up on in season as well. Under General Sports Regulations for the WVSSAC Page 22 and 71.

User avatar
coach_williams
Posts: 538
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:06 pm

Re: Super 32 Lone Wolves

Postby coach_williams » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:57 pm

Matofficial wrote:Well coach Williams you might want to have your AD read the rules about coaching out of season as far as that goes it wouldn't hurt to have him brush up on in season as well. Under General Sports Regulations for the WVSSAC Page 22 and 71.


Thankfully, not my AD anymore.

Cummings
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Hurricane
Contact:

Re: Super 32 Lone Wolves

Postby Cummings » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:18 pm

As a health teacher I constantly remind my classes how social media, texting, or emails can be misunderstood. I would like to clarify my previous post.
I posted "Some coaches and adults need to remember what it's like to be a teenager. Let kids be kids."
I should have followed that statement with something like, Let us also help them reach goals and steer them away from the negatives of this world. Such as but not limited to illegal drugs, poor grades, apathy, or idle hands.
I'm not sure if that punctuation and sentence structure is completely correct.

The point I attempted to make is, just because kids aren't wrestling out of season doesn't make them lazy, quitters, or a negative influence. When I had free time away from sports I was busy hunting, fishing, enjoying my friends or rare girlfriend as well as learning from my old man. If not for my father (who didn't give a hoot about sports but valued academics) I wouldn't be who I am today.

Good luck to the loan wolves. Young men, use your free time wisely and listen to your father.
[color=#FF0000]Lee Cummings

vortexfan
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:48 pm

Re: Super 32 Lone Wolves

Postby vortexfan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Cummings wrote:As a health teacher I constantly remind my classes how social media, texting, or emails can be misunderstood. I would like to clarify my previous post.
I posted "Some coaches and adults need to remember what it's like to be a teenager. Let kids be kids."
I should have followed that statement with something like, Let us also help them reach goals and steer them away from the negatives of this world. Such as but not limited to illegal drugs, poor grades, apathy, or idle hands.
I'm not sure if that punctuation and sentence structure is completely correct.

The point I attempted to make is, just because kids aren't wrestling out of season doesn't make them lazy, quitters, or a negative influence. When I had free time away from sports I was busy hunting, fishing, enjoying my friends or rare girlfriend as well as learning from my old man. If not for my father (who didn't give a hoot about sports but valued academics) I wouldn't be who I am today.

Good luck to the loan wolves. Young men, use your free time wisely and listen to your father.


Excellent!

ZZChooseTop
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:01 am

Re: Super 32 Lone Wolves

Postby ZZChooseTop » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:03 am

Mandiegnhd wrote:Hats off to the three place winners. Super 32 is a heckuva difficult tournament. Hopefully those three guys caught the attention of some coaches and the national wrestling media.

Are results posted? Who placed? Congratulations to all

User avatar
coach_williams
Posts: 538
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:06 pm

Re: Super 32 Lone Wolves

Postby coach_williams » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:39 am

ZZChooseTop wrote:
Mandiegnhd wrote:Hats off to the three place winners. Super 32 is a heckuva difficult tournament. Hopefully those three guys caught the attention of some coaches and the national wrestling media.

Are results posted? Who placed? Congratulations to all


I am not sure what Mandiegnhd means. Super 32 isn't until Oct 27-29.

Gator
Posts: 1590
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:11 pm
Location: South Parkersburg-Moderator WV Mat

Re: Super 32 Lone Wolves

Postby Gator » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:54 pm

Mandiegnhd wrote:Hats off to the three place winners. Super 32 is a heckuva difficult tournament. Hopefully those three guys caught the attention of some coaches and the national wrestling media.


I feel for all the young men who missed this magical mystery tour(nament). :shock:
Moderator WV Mat

ZZChooseTop
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:01 am

Re: Super 32 Lone Wolves

Postby ZZChooseTop » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:42 am

ZZChooseTop wrote:
Mandiegnhd wrote:Hats off to the three place winners. Super 32 is a heckuva difficult tournament. Hopefully those three guys caught the attention of some coaches and the national wrestling media.

Are results posted? Who placed? Congratulations to all

Is anyone else impressed that Mandiegnhd successfully predicted that 3 male wv wrestlers would place at Super 32? Please message me Saturday winning powerball numbers Mandiegnhd!


Return to “High School Wrestling”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: byfcm24, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests