Consolation Champ?

Registratration required to post. Anyone can read.
aacoach117

Consolation Champ?

Postby aacoach117 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:03 am

What the heck is a consolation champ? Had a wrestler get this this past weekend. He asked me what a consolation champ is and I had no answer for him. He went 1-1 on the weekend (didn't have more matches thanks to byes) while others who went 2-2 placed. If the bracket had been full and if he had won all matches after his first loss he could have actually gone 3-1 and not placed and that makes no sense to me.

mscoach155

Re: Consolation Champ?

Postby mscoach155 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:48 am

Consolation champion is 7th place. You are referencing our tournament. Given that we had some brackets with up to 16 wrestlers we utilized a format in which we ensured no wrestler would have more than 5 matches in one day breaking WVSSAC rules. Wrestlers losing in the first round could only place as high as seventh (consolation champ), those losing before the semi-finals could place as high as 5th, semi-final losers went for 3rd and 4th.

Had we been running a traditional bracket your wrestler could have gone 3-1 and placed 3rd, but as described above as he lost in the first round so the highest he could place would be 7th.

It seems this format confused many people, we are likely going to move to a traditional bracket next year and any wrestlers who are on their 6th match of the day will just have to forfeit.

aacoach117

Re: Consolation Champ?

Postby aacoach117 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:33 am

Thanks for the clarification coach. Didn't want to specify that it was your tournament because I didn't want it to look like a complaint. I have seen the format used before and never really knew what the consolation champ was for. Thanks again.

Return to “Middle School Wrestling”