Top Middle School Wrestlers this Season

Registratration required to post. Anyone can read.
mike.carman

Re: Top Middle School Wrestlers this Season

Postby mike.carman » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:51 pm

justawrestlingfan wrote:
oroyos wrote:6th grade champs?

It is a nice thought, but rarely do 6th graders who performed well on the community league level reach "top middle school wrestler" status as a 6th grader. While they may have done well against 11 and 12 years olds, varsity middle school wrestling is typically against 7th and 8th graders (13-15 year olds) who have more experience, are benefitting from puberty muscle growth and have a couple of years of middle school experience on their side. There are certainly 6th graders who compete and occasionally one that is a top contender, but that is a rarity, not the norm. You may see 6th graders make their mark at 78 or 84, but that is about it. Once you go above those weight classes you start seeing mostly 7th and 8th graders.

Not trying to start an argument but I beg to differ. I know plenty of Middle School wrestlers who come out shooting as a 6th grader and just keep going. A lot of them are Freshmen and Sophomores this year in High School and have or will be making their marks there as well and they weren't all 78 or 84 pounds in 6th grade either.

In any case, we are seeing a good bunch of talent all the way down into our middle schools. Across the state, the kids are getting better and better at all levels which is making them more competitive in High School and we are seeing more and more great matches.

justawrestlingfan

Postby justawrestlingfan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:34 pm

mike.carman wrote:
justawrestlingfan wrote:
oroyos wrote:6th grade champs?

It is a nice thought, but rarely do 6th graders who performed well on the community league level reach "top middle school wrestler" status as a 6th grader. While they may have done well against 11 and 12 years olds, varsity middle school wrestling is typically against 7th and 8th graders (13-15 year olds) who have more experience, are benefitting from puberty muscle growth and have a couple of years of middle school experience on their side. There are certainly 6th graders who compete and occasionally one that is a top contender, but that is a rarity, not the norm. You may see 6th graders make their mark at 78 or 84, but that is about it. Once you go above those weight classes you start seeing mostly 7th and 8th graders.

Not trying to start an argument but I beg to differ. I know plenty of Middle School wrestlers who come out shooting as a 6th grader and just keep going. A lot of them are Freshmen and Sophomores this year in High School and have or will be making their marks there as well and they weren't all 78 or 84 pounds in 6th grade either.

In any case, we are seeing a good bunch of talent all the way down into our middle schools. Across the state, the kids are getting better and better at all levels which is making them more competitive in High School and we are seeing more and more great matches.

I am not saying it never happens, but it is not common either. I would guesstimate that 90% or better of major tournament champs are 7th and 8th graders. Note that I clarified that they rarely reach "top middle school wrestler" status, I didn't say they aren't successful wrestlers. This thread is about the best middle school wrestlers in each weight class and that is how I was directing my response. I don't have anything to back this up other than personal experience.

I would be interested to know if anyone is aware of a 6th grader placing in the top 2 or 3 at tournaments like WSAZs, OVAC or the WV Duals. I don't follow it close enough to know which wrestlers are in what grade.

Cement mixer

Postby Cement mixer » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:04 am

I don't know a lot of kids from wv. Who r the competitive kids from each weight class.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:14 am

justawrestlingfan very true. What would be nice is to see a venue where all of our middle school kids could have the opportunity to wrestle each other or at the very least our conference placers.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:22 am

In the OVAC 6th graders are not allowed to compete because Ohio still considers 6th grade as elementary, so you will never see a 6th grader place at OVACs. Its a shame too, because a lot of them could at least place. As for WSAZ you are right in that most of the younger wrestlers are placing at the lower weight classes. Can't speak for WV Duals as our schools don't compete in it. We don't compete at WSAZs either because it is the same weekend as OVACs. JMs high school coach tried to take a few middle school wrestlers to WSAZs one year but it conflicted and couldn't do it. Which was fine since the bus JM was on had to turn around and come back due to bad weather. Another problem our middle schools face is that districts aren't as will to spend money for overnights and busing to take the kids further out for them. I'm ranting, but sometimes I feel like our State and district rules hold our kids back from reaching their full potential in all sports.

indyms

Postby indyms » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:01 pm

Just a guess on some weight classes:
78lb - I believe Isaac Short is a 6th grader this year and based on his JR States performances in the past will be very tough if at 78lbs.
84lb - Brandon Holt if at 84.
90lb - Justin White - not sure if he graduated.
95lb - George Smith
102lb - John Martin Best if wrestling Z's at this weight will be tough. I think I saw he did Super 32 at 95lbs, but recently did a dual tournament at 102lbs.
110lb - Roberts (Edison) not sure if he graduated or if he will 110lb
116lb - One that could be under the radar for most is Sean Dawson.
123lb - Cox - WG
128lb - Isabell from John Adams.
135lb - Chase Patterson
145lb - Nate Warden - if going this weight class. If 135, will be a good matches between Chase and him throughout the season.
155lb -
171lb -
190lb -
HWT - Braxton Amos.

I don't have enough experience with the upper weight classes 155 - 190 to give an opinion nor do I know who has or hasn't moved to HS. Someone else can add names there. This is just my short list from seeing kids through JR States on through MS develop. As the season progresses I am sure there will be some shake-ups in the weight classes and of course some surprises.

timamos

Postby timamos » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:03 pm

indyms wrote:Just a guess on some weight classes:
78lb - I believe Isaac Short is a 6th grader this year and based on his JR States performances in the past will be very tough if at 78lbs.
95lb - George Smith
102lb - John Martin Best if wrestling Z's at this weight will be tough. I think I saw he did Super 32 at 95lbs, but recently did a dual tournament at 102lbs.
123lb - Cox - WG
135lb - Chase Patterson
145lb - Nate Warden - if going this weight class. If 135, will be a good matches between Chase and him throughout the season.
155lb -
171lb -
190lb -
HWT - Braxton Amos.

I don't have enough experience with the upper weight classes 155 - 190 to give an opinion nor do I know who has or hasn't moved to HS. Someone else can add names there. This is just my short list from seeing kids through JR States on through MS develop. As the season progresses I am sure there will be some shake-ups in the weight classes and of course some surprises.

Great starting point Indy. I'm not ranking anyone but here's info on what I've seen or know on your list:
78 Short was at 78 last weekend. Looked good
84 Holt is wrestling at St Albans High School
90 White is at Point Middle but wrestled 95 last weekend. Point's 90 is Raike
95 George Smith (the wrestler, not the Dad/Coach) is in high school
102 I haven't seen Best in a middle school match this year but I did see him at super 32 at 95lbs and at Malvern duals at 102, looked happier and wrestled better at the higher weight. Results say he was at 102 for Wirt County Tournament last weekend.
110 Roberts is at 110 (defeated Vaughn)
128 Isabell (lost to Quiocho)
285 Amos is at 190. Look at Boyce or Frazier as top returners at HWT?

Where's Caleb Haynes? Heard he was at McKinley Middle now? Is he wrestling for the school team? What weight? Saw him and Eric at Super 32 but didn't think to ask. At one point he was considering just wrestling for the Scorpions on their national duals team.

indyms

Postby indyms » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:32 pm

I didn't see Haynes name listed in the results posted for 12/2 matches. I was thinking Amos was going HWT based on Super 32. Since he will be at 190, then the door is open for Boyce. Should prove to be a strong season - I still think there are some dark horses out there that will emerge by the time WSAZs roll around.

uknowme

Postby uknowme » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:15 pm

timamos wrote:
95lb - George Smith
123lb - Cox - WG
135lb - Chase Patterson
155lb -
171lb -
190lb -
HWT - Braxton Amos.

Great starting point Indy. I'm not ranking anyone but here's info on what I've seen or know on your list:
78 Short was at 78 last weekend. Looked good
84 Holt is wrestling at St Albans High School
90 White is at Point Middle but wrestled 95 last weekend. Point's 90 is Raike
95 George Smith (the wrestler, not the Dad/Coach) is in high school
102 I haven't seen Best in a middle school match this year but I did see him at super 32 at 95lbs and at Malvern duals at 102, looked happier and wrestled better at the higher weight. Results say he was at 102 for Wirt County Tournament last weekend.
110 Roberts is at 110 (defeated Vaughn)
128 Isabell (lost to Quiocho)
285 Amos is at 190. Look at Boyce or Frazier as top returners at HWT?

Where's Caleb Haynes? Heard he was at McKinley Middle now? Is he wrestling for the school team? What weight? Saw him and Eric at Super 32 but didn't think to ask. At one point he was considering just wrestling for the Scorpions on their national duals team.

He has transferred to McKinley but I was told he chose not to wrestle middle school this year. He was doing strictly open tournaments. Don't know why? He would definitely have been a force his 8th grade year.

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:49 pm

On the subject of sixth graders placing at WSAZ, etc. - In my last three years at Milton if my old memory serves I had the following from 6th graders - 3 champs (Grass, Allen, Mitchell), 1 second, 4 thirds, 3 fifths, 1 sixth, 2 sevenths, 4 eighths. Yes they do place there quite frequently - more often in the lighter weights as you would expect. Both my champs who were 6th graders wrestled other sixth graders in the finals as did one of my third place guys who wrestled another 6th grader in the semis and lost but beat an 8th grader for 3rd. The sixth graders were a very important part of our winning that event several times. Going way back to around 2003 I had a sixth grader win it at 145 who had never wrestled youth league which is not so common, especially in that weight.
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:00 am

mike.carman wrote:In the OVAC 6th graders are not allowed to compete because Ohio still considers 6th grade as elementary, so you will never see a 6th grader place at OVACs. Its a shame too, because a lot of them could at least place. As for WSAZ you are right in that most of the younger wrestlers are placing at the lower weight classes. Can't speak for WV Duals as our schools don't compete in it. We don't compete at WSAZs either because it is the same weekend as OVACs. JMs high school coach tried to take a few middle school wrestlers to WSAZs one year but it conflicted and couldn't do it. Which was fine since the bus JM was on had to turn around and come back due to bad weather. Another problem our middle schools face is that districts aren't as will to spend money for overnights and busing to take the kids further out for them. I'm ranting, but sometimes I feel like our State and district rules hold our kids back from reaching their full potential in all sports.

Where are you at? We just moved to Wetzel county. Are OVACs the same weekend as Zs this year too? I haven't seen an official date for OVACs yet. I even spoke to Dan Doyle and he couldn't recall the exact date.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:22 am

95lb - George Smith
123lb - Cox - WG
135lb - Chase Patterson
155lb -
171lb -
190lb -
HWT - Braxton Amos.

If I can somehow convince our HC to go to Zs then my son Jordan might have something to say about Nate Warden winning 145 :D .

I don't think Malik Cox will be at 123 again this year either. I can't say exactly what his weight is, but he was a solid 123 last year so I assume he would have gained at least a few pounds and be at 128 if not higher. His teammate John Parks who was also a 123 is at 145 this year and he will be a solid wrestler in 145 at Zs as well.

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:42 pm

Panther Coach(Jim): Braxton Amos won the WSAZ tourney as a 6th grader at 145 also. You are right though, it's difficult unless you are very talented.
Moderator WV Mat

Jchap8750

Postby Jchap8750 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:11 pm

Who would Caleb Haynes wrestle? He beat a lot of high school kids that placed last year and he was in middle school. I see him being a 4x state champ. Maybe I'm wrong but don't think anyone in middle school would be on his level this year

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:22 am

Anyone looking good in Huntington? Didn't make it today

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:56 pm

coach_williams wrote:
95lb - George Smith
123lb - Cox - WG
135lb - Chase Patterson
155lb -
171lb -
190lb -
HWT - Braxton Amos.

If I can somehow convince our HC to go to Zs then my son Jordan might have something to say about Nate Warden winning 145 :D .

I don't think Malik Cox will be at 123 again this year either. I can't say exactly what his weight is, but he was a solid 123 last year so I assume he would have gained at least a few pounds and be at 128 if not higher. His teammate John Parks who was also a 123 is at 145 this year and he will be a solid wrestler in 145 at Zs as well.

Yeah, that's where I'd put my money at 145.
sentenceseller

Pinufirst

Postby Pinufirst » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:45 am

Jchap8750 wrote:Who would Caleb Haynes wrestle? He beat a lot of high school kids that placed last year and he was in middle school. I see him being a 4x state champ. Maybe I'm wrong but don't think anyone in middle school would be on his level this year

Caleb Haynes is 128 or 135 and as of now he remains a ghost on the middle school scene but i am sure he will show his face soon enough

uknowme

Re:

Postby uknowme » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:57 am

Pinufirst wrote:
Jchap8750 wrote:Who would Caleb Haynes wrestle? He beat a lot of high school kids that placed last year and he was in middle school. I see him being a 4x state champ. Maybe I'm wrong but don't think anyone in middle school would be on his level this year

Caleb Haynes is 128 or 135 and as of now he remains a ghost on the middle school scene but i am sure he will show his face soon enough

You won't see his face until high school next year. Caleb isn't wrestling middle school this year. He is doing strictly travel and working out for high school next year.

Pinufirst

Postby Pinufirst » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:04 pm

Huge Caleb Haynes fan....

dontlikethelights

Postby dontlikethelights » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:59 pm

Since this has garnered some attention, Caleb Haynes is enrolled at McKinley Middle School and weighs right at 135 lbs; however he is no longer with the team.

Ian Webster - McKinley Middle

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:22 pm

Hayne went 8-2 this weekend at VAC duals at 126. His two losses were close matches to very good competition.

mscoach86

Postby mscoach86 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:12 pm

84- Donahue/Jackson
95- White/ Point
102- Best/ Jackson
110- Roberts/ Edison, Vaughn/ Barboursville
116- Moler/ Jackson, Dawson/ Indy
128 Isabell/ John Adams, Quiocho/ Edison
135 Tanner/ Ravenswood, Medley/ Hayes, Patterson WG
145 Warden/ Indy, Neale/ Barboursville
155 Hill/ Hurricane, Blair/HEMS
190 Amos
HWT Boyce/Indy, Frazier/ West Fairmont, Shamblin/ Sissonville

Cement mixer

Postby Cement mixer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:58 am

90?
191?

Cement mixer

Postby Cement mixer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:02 am

Cement mixer wrote:90?
191?

Sorry 171

allheart

Postby allheart » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:22 am

90/95. Derek Raike.
95. B. Whoton

allheart

Postby allheart » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:39 am

171. ?

baxter841

Postby baxter841 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:48 am

102 Best is at the top, others that looked good are casuccio, morris, layman, and irizarry

mscoach12

Postby mscoach12 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:09 am

Kellen Wilson is 29-0 from Barboursville at 171

Cement mixer

Postby Cement mixer » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:20 pm

Top pound for pound wrestlers in MS this season?

Ricflairchop

Postby Ricflairchop » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:06 am

From what I've seen for each weight class

78 Short gw
84 Donahue Jackson
90 raike point
95 Wharton e fairmont
102 best Jackson
110 Roberts Edison
116 Martin Blenny
123 piner e greenbrier
128 quiochio Edison
135 Patterson w greenbrier
145 warden Indy
155 Blair Huntington e
171 Wilson barboursville
190 Amos Edison
Hw Frazier w fairmont
This is just some Ive seen I'm sure their are kids I've missed.

Return to “Middle School Wrestling”