Top Middle School Wrestlers this Season

Registratration required to post. Anyone can read.
matburn01

Re: Top Middle School Wrestlers this Season

Postby matburn01 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:46 pm

78- Short Gw, Freeman PP, Boyer East
84- Donahue Jackson,
90- Raike PP
95- White PP(beat Whorton )
102- Best Jackson
110- Roberts Edison
116- Martin Blennerhasset
123- Cox WG
128 Quiocho - Edison
135 Patterson WG
145- Warden Indy And Abbas PP
155- Blair HE
171 Wilson Barb
190- Amos Edison
Hwt- Boyce Indy

Cement mixer

Postby Cement mixer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:21 am

I agree with all except for 84. It's a tough class. I got Phillips from hurricane. Then (Donahue, Easton, smith, and Haskins.

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:46 pm

Cement mixer wrote:I agree with all except for 84. It's a tough class. I got Phillips from hurricane. Then (Donahue, Easton, smith, and Haskins.

I agree that it's a tough class. Maybe the toughest one but Results from Clash:

84: D. EASTON (B) PIN Q. PHILLIPS (H)

As any good financial planner would tell you
*Past results are not indicative of future wins or losses

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:32 am

Cement mixer wrote:Top pound for pound wrestlers in MS this season?

That's a good question. Pound for pound is always interesting discussion at any level. Most will pick their local stud and try to build an argument to prove why he's the best Pound for pound . We can all justify why Little Johnny won this tournament or that tournament and he is therefore "better" Pound for pound that Big Joey. (Argument at the extremes usually go something like this: little johnny didn't have to wrestle physically mature/older wrestlers or Big Joey had fewer kids in his bracket/only beat out of shape/fat guys). The very nature of the Pound for pound discussion is comparing apples to oranges, the light weight will not have head to heads or common opponents with the HWT. Accomplishments are important but along with the accomplishments when we talk about things like OW and Dutton in high school or best Pound for pound in Middle/Jr High, should we be thinking about:
1. If you could pick one of the wrestlers to help you start a team, who would you build a team around?
2. If you were trying to win a dual, who would you not hesitate to move to wrestle anyone, up or down?
3. Who would ask to move up or down to take on someone for the good of the team?
4. If we built a WV team to travel to national dual tournaments who do you as a coach pencil in as your automatic win + bonus guy in the lineup?
5. If we built a WV team to travel to national dual tournaments who do the other kids on the team look up to?

Blindly accepting the lists of the best wrestlers that other people have posted for the various weight classes I don't know who is the best Pound for pound, interesting discussion. I think #5 is the most telling but it's the one we adults would never know unless someone organized such a team.

I saw where people were saying that the high school rankings and discussion about Pound for pound were "trash", I could not disagree more. If coaches and parents would review the ways people think about Pound for pound (accomplishments, coach's confidence in the wrestler, teammates confidence in the wrestler) and impress the importance of working toward those things every day, West Virginia wrestling would improve.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:50 am

ZZChooseTop wrote:If coaches and parents would review the ways people think about Pound for pound (accomplishments, coach's confidence in the wrestler, teammates confidence in the wrestler) and impress the importance of working toward those things every day, West Virginia wrestling would improve.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Bearhug

Postby Bearhug » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:26 am

matburn01 wrote:78- Short Gw, Freeman PP, Boyer East
84- Donahue Jackson,
90- Raike PP
95- White PP(beat Whorton )
102- Best Jackson
110- Roberts Edison
116- Martin Blennerhasset
123- Cox WG
128 Quiocho - Edison
135 Patterson WG
145- Warden Indy And Abbas PP
155- Blair HE
171 Wilson Barb
190- Amos Edison
Hwt- Boyce Indy

Frazier Hwt from West Fairmont pinned Boyce last year and has been on a tear this year.

firedawg64

Postby firedawg64 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:11 am

I have found out myself that our local middle school refuses to go to OVAC middle school because they do not allow 6th graders to wrestle. I also tried to convince our coach to go to WSAZ tournament and he will not budge. We have 2 kids undefeated and one that is 19 -1. These kids can wrestle with the top kids in the state my boy who is 19 -1 got 4th at Jr States for his 1st year doing the big tournaments. We need to get sanctioning bodies to take these middle schools and make sure they are participating. This is the reason my boy wouldn't wrestle for the school last year. It would be nice to have one true state middle school champ.

Campion

Postby Campion » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:45 pm

I told you guys about Shamblin, 171 at Sissonville. We saw what he did this past weekend. Wait till,you see the DuPont Heavyweight, Chapman.

Return to “Middle School Wrestling”