WSAZ Middle School wrestling tournament RESCHEDULED

Registratration required to post. Anyone can read.
admin
Site Admin

WSAZ Middle School wrestling tournament RESCHEDULED

Postby admin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:38 pm

From the Editor:

The WSAZ High School Wrestling Tournament scheduled for Jan 22-23 HAS BEEN CANCELLED AND WILL NOT BE RESCHEDULED.

The WSAZ Middle School Wrestling Tournament scheduled for Jan 22-23 HAS BEEN CANCELLED AND WILL BE HELD NEXT WEEKEND AT HUNTINGTON HIGH SCHOOL

per phone call from Coach Bill Archer Jan 21 3:20 PM
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

coastietrooper

Re: WSAZ Middle School wrestling tournament RESCHEDULED

Postby coastietrooper » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:05 pm

What days? Friday and Saturday or Saturday Sunday?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:05 pm

I don't have that info yet, presumably it will be forthcoming.
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:14 pm

Are you kidding me? We might as well have it at mcdonalds. There won't be near enough parking or seating. It'll take a week. wow!!!!

T-bone's Dad

Postby T-bone's Dad » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:19 pm

I don't think middle school sports can be held on Sunday.

T-bone's Dad

Postby T-bone's Dad » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:20 pm

Also, Sunday will cause a conflict with the WVU clinic which many teams were going to participate. This sucks. lol

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:20 pm

They cant. Itll have to be Friday and saturday

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:21 pm

So they gonna cancel WVDuals ?

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:24 pm

So like 95% of the time when we call for a "Big Snow Storm" and we get about 2 inches. then what?

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:15 pm

WVDuals has very few WV schools participating besides Edison

eastontilt

Postby eastontilt » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:22 am

The WV Duals consists of more WV schools than just Edison. You have Calhoun Co, Hurricane, Williamstown and Edison already committed.

2takedown

Postby 2takedown » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:02 pm

Are there any teams not returning next week or are there any being added due to change of date? If so, does anyone know who? This could effect the seeding.

gridironmike

Postby gridironmike » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:39 am

It was a hard but good decision. I commend them for having the guts to make the call. I'm sure they'll put on a first class tournament.

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:33 pm

This is where the commission needs to step in. You can't just change dates and ruin previously scheduled tournaments. This has a ripple effect that is now going to ruin several more big events.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:03 pm

Based on what I have read the past couple of years, The WSAZ is the big thing for middle school wrestlers.

If this is true, then rescheduling it is a wise move.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:11 pm

Bearhugger wrote:Based on what I have read the past couple of years, The WSAZ is the big thing for middle school wrestlers.

So not considering other tournaments hard work is a wise move? Seems a pattern is forming down there...

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:07 pm

I suggest the teams who want to attend the WSAZ should do so. The teams that do not, then go to wherever their calendar directs them.

mscoach58

Postby mscoach58 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:10 pm

wvnorth wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:Based on what I have read the past couple of years, The WSAZ is the big thing for middle school wrestlers.

So not considering other tournaments hard work is a wise move? Seems a pattern is forming down there...

What are you talking about? What pattern and where? For the WSAZ to re-schedule, that is a very rare occasion. Most middle schools look at this as the WV Middle School Championship. What tournament are you so worried about it affecting with the date moved?? I'm sure that tournament can just change their date. It happens all the time with other wrestling tournaments and snow, we have been to several over the years that have been postponed and re-scheduled. If you can make it great if not, life goes on. Middle school wrestling can go until almost the end of Feb., so there is plenty of time for other tournaments to work things out. I'm sure that the great folks down in Huntington have considered other tournaments. Actually, when I look on WV MAT the only other middle tournament that is listed is WV Duals. And from what I read on here, they have worked it out and changed the date. If you so are concerned about a tournament getting affected then maybe you should share that tournament information with WVMAT and everyone else so they know about it. Don't jumped on people and complain when you yourself don't help the situation by not posting your tournament and the date. And once again, pattern forming down there???? I would love to know what that refers too. WSAZ hasn't been re-scheduled or canceled since 1980 something. It has always taken place the third weekend in Jan. every year.

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:08 pm

mscoach58 wrote:
wvnorth wrote:

What are you talking about? What pattern and where? For the WSAZ to re-schedule, that is a very rare occasion. Most middle schools look at this as the WV Middle School Championship. What tournament are you so worried about it affecting with the date moved?? I'm sure that tournament can just change their date. It happens all the time with other wrestling tournaments and snow, we have been to several over the years that have been postponed and re-scheduled. If you can make it great if not, life goes on. Middle school wrestling can go until almost the end of Feb., so there is plenty of time for other tournaments to work things out. I'm sure that the great folks down in Huntington have considered other tournaments. Actually, when I look on WV MAT the only other middle tournament that is listed is WV Duals. And from what I read on here, they have worked it out and changed the date. If you so are concerned about a tournament getting affected then maybe you should share that tournament information with WVMAT and everyone else so they know about it. Don't jumped on people and complain when you yourself don't help the situation by not posting your tournament and the date. And once again, pattern forming down there???? I would love to know what that refers too. WSAZ hasn't been re-scheduled or canceled since 1980 something. It has always taken place the third weekend in Jan. every year.

Our tourney wasn't open to everyone and I'm not the director. It has schools from the area set to wrestle there in advance by using a handy tool called a schedule. some of those schools will now go to WSAZ hence wasting a bunch of people's time at the seeding meeting today. May as well put it March 5-6.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:10 pm

When announcing last year's Dutton Award winner, Logan Grass, it was mentioned that he won the WSAZ seven times. I do not recall any other middle school tournament being mentioned. They didn't mention the Ceredo-Kenova Bash, The Ric Flair Invitational, or the Tudor's Biscuit Holiday Tournament.

The WSAZ is king. The others can fall in accordingly.

HolyHighCrotch

Postby HolyHighCrotch » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:43 pm

The WSAZ is a big competitive tournament, that's it. It is not a state tournament because every team is not included. It is a big and competitive tourney. Logan Grass may have won it 7 times but no college coach cares about him winning a large Jr hi tourney his 7th and 8th grade year. In all honesty, ask any college wrestler, their coach does not care what they did in high school, all kids are good in college. Let the past go and make a new name for yourself now that you are in college.

I do agree that it is unfortunate that snow delayed it a week and others may suffer but they have the right to hold their tourney. People will make choices, no big deal.

gridironmike

Postby gridironmike » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:29 am

It's as close to a middle school state tourney as we have.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:44 am

Somehow this discussion has gone from middle school to college.

Based on what I have heard from many, the WSAZ is the biggest and best the WV middle schools have.

As for middle schools that do not attend, have they tried to enter?

HolyHighCrotch

Postby HolyHighCrotch » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:15 am

gridironmike wrote:It's as close to a middle school state tourney as we have.

Exactly my point. Closest they have, but it is still not a state tournament, just a really big tournament.

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:47 am

Bearhugger, When and where is the Tudor's Biscuit Holiday Tournament? That sounds like one I would like to attend. Do they have 50/50 biscuit drawings on the hour? I can probably get Gator to come along. thanks - Brent

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:18 am

If it's biscuits Brent, I'm there!

There have been several discussions over the years about some of the northern and eastern panhandle teams that either are not allowed to travel to the Z's or they are not allocated funds to travel that distance. Boosters would have to raise funds then get approval from their county boards and school administration. Several posters on here have expressed interest in coming, but cannot get it approved. Frustrating I'm sure. That would be over 5 or 6 hours of travel time for a group of kids from 6-8th grade.
Moderator WV Mat

wvenergyman

Postby wvenergyman » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:53 am

Our middle school is simply not allowed to travel for sporting events farther than 2 counties. It is a school/athletic director decision not a county one. We are in Harrison county so basically all of the big tournaments in Parkersburg, Charleston or Huntington we cannot attend. I wish we could since at this point we do not have a middle school state tournament and the Z's are clearly the biggest MS tournament in the state.

Return to “Middle School Wrestling”