OVC CHAMPIONSHIPS

Registratration required to post. Anyone can read.
mscoach99

OVC CHAMPIONSHIPS

Postby mscoach99 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:21 pm

Top 5 this weekend at OVC
Beaver Local 213
Blennerhassett 198
Oak Glen 188
East Liverpool 156
Harding 156

gnat

Re: OVC CHAMPIONSHIPS

Postby gnat » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:24 pm

Can't believe blennerhasset went to this instead of wsaz.

abettnman

Postby abettnman » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:49 pm

They used the excuse that they didn't come because JV was not getting to wrestle.

but I'm sure it's because they were dodging a few wrestlers.

gnat

Postby gnat » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:36 am

Does ovac allow jv or 6th graders ?

LeBeef

Postby LeBeef » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:08 am

They do allow jv to enter, and only 7th and 8th graders allowed. No 6th

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:25 am

abettnman wrote:They used the excuse that they didn't come because JV was not getting to wrestle.

but I'm sure it's because they were dodging a few wrestlers.

I'm not trying to start senseless chatter HHC :shock: but going to OVC was not taking the easy road. Blennerhassett had a lot of kids still going in the semis and several in the championship . They are a solid team but I don't think they had any champions. I could be wrong but I didn't see any. Not taking anything away from them, they are a tough team.

mscoach99

Postby mscoach99 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:21 pm

I usually don't comment on negative comments from people that don't have a clue.

My team was not trying to dodge or run from any team nor any particular wrestlers. In the 9 years I've coached Blennerhassett we have never ran from any team or wrestlers. We have sought out the best competition we could find.

We don't have to justify where, when or who we wrestle to anyone. In previous years of going to both we have had wrestlers place at WSAZ and not place at OVC and vice versa.

The decision was to attend the OVC was a team decision. So for those that feeling we were running from you give me a call or come see me we have some weigh in available and I'm sure I can get our gym and we will wrestle.

mscoach12

Postby mscoach12 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:22 pm

I've known coach Smith since I started coaching Barboursville. Blenny nor Coach will dodge any team. Congrats on your finish at the OVC'S. Not gonna lie was looking forward to several match ups from Blenny with other teams. The weather was the only factor that messed this up, nothing more.

Todd Childers

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:12 pm

Well said Coach Childers, I can say the same about Blenny and Coach Smith. My guys at Milton always looked forward to matching up with Blenny because we knew we were in for a battle! They are excellent technicians, well coached, always in shape and great so far as sportsmanhip goes. I don't see them ducking anyone.
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:06 pm

mscoach99 wrote:I usually don't comment on negative comments from people that don't have a clue.

My team was not trying to dodge or run from any team nor any particular wrestlers. In the 9 years I've coached Blennerhassett we have never ran from any team or wrestlers. We have sought out the best competition we could find.

We don't have to justify where, when or who we wrestle to anyone. In previous years of going to both we have had wrestlers place at WSAZ and not place at OVC and vice versa.

The decision was to attend the OVC was a team decision. So for those that feeling we were running from you give me a call or come see me we have some weigh in available and I'm sure I can get our gym and we will wrestle.

I think in several instances you sought better competition. I get hammered every time I suggest that but it's true. Your team made the OVC much more competitive. Thanks for coming!! My original complaint was about scheduling ,which some I thought would agree , so we could attend both!!!

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:22 pm

Where can you view the brackets from the OVC tournament?
Moderator WV Mat

wrestledad123

Postby wrestledad123 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:05 pm

Way to stand up for your kids coach Smith!! The OVC tourney was extremely tough. There was great wrestlers there from Ohio and WV, very stiff competition. Yes, Blenny never had any champions but several in the finals and semi-finals. It would have been great attending both tournaments. If Blenny would have went to the WSAZ then the teams at the OVC would be saying the same thing. Sad thing is they could only wrestle in one tourney that weekend and choose the OVC. It was nice seeing different wrestling teams and how they stack up. Nobody seems to want to give this young team any credit. They have several first years wrestlers that have worked hard all year and has proved themselves at a good opponent. Blenny is the top program in the state, and should be treated like it. They have beaten Edison twice this year, Point Pleasant twice (maybe 3), and Independence. Some of the kids that won Championship matches this weekend have been beaten by Blenny wrestlers. Nothing against the kids, please dont take it like that. Anyone can be beaten any given day. Blenny does not avoid anyone. I love that coach Smith put up the challenge. Gym is open, lets see if any takers.

gnat

Postby gnat » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:49 pm

I was not suggesting that blennerhasset dodged anyone. I just don't understand why a team in wv wouldn't attend the wsaz. This is commonly referred to as the middle school state tournament. Can't imagine the kids would rather go to a different tournament. If blennerhasset goes to wsaz there could have been a total different out come.

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:19 pm

gnat wrote:I was not suggesting that blennerhasset dodged anyone. I just don't understand why a team in wv wouldn't attend the wsaz. This is commonly referred to as the middle school state tournament. Can't imagine the kids would rather go to a different tournament. If blennerhasset goes to wsaz there could have been a total different out come.

I don't understand why you would consider WSAZ middle school states when all teams in the state cannot attend...For sure a totally different outcome at WSAZ would have occurred had they attended. A totally different outcome at OVC occurred because they attended. They beat every WV team there. In the top 5 was 3 Ohio teams and 2 WV teams. Blennerhassett got second overall!! These boys and girls came to wrestle. Until you get a sanctioned WVSAC(?) tourney I don't think you can officially title any tourney as States. Great Job Blennerhassett!!!

gnat

Postby gnat » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:44 pm

So you are telling me you have never heard it referred to as middle school states? I didn't say it was I said it was referred to as. It is simply the largest collection of middle school teams throughout wv and as close to a state tournament as there is at this point. I take it your school can't attend.

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:38 pm

gnat wrote:So you are telling me you have never heard it referred to as middle school states? I didn't say it was I said it was referred to as. It is simply the largest collection of middle school teams throughout wv and as close to a state tournament as there is at this point. I take it your school can't attend.

I'm sorry and I'm not trying to insult anyone. My son is in 8th grade and we used to go to Clarksburg as our states. We simply didn't know. We started going to Jr States in Parkersburg a few years ago. We get down state 2-3 times a year to wrestle. I love this state and it's recreation and would love to wrestle in an official tournament but it seems to change. I got everyone mad w my somewhat inconsiderate post about rescheduling and OVC . I really wish to participate in the tourneys down there but our school schedule ( I hate the school stuff again)?doesnt permit it so we appear to avoid the quality tournaments. I never knew what the WSAZ was till last year ,sadly, but wish we could attend. It looks awesome. When the WSAZ cancelled due to weather and rescheduled overtop the OVC. It was somewhat frustrating and I made some comments that were offensive and perhaps fueled by a few lagers. I truly wish to participate in the WSAZ. jr states, WVWWA, Wv duals and OVC. I mighta forgot one. What kinda schedule would that be if it were done with more schools on the borders in mind? I'd like to say once again that Blennerhassett is a solid team and I commend their decision to seek certain matches at OVC. I think they came for more competition not less and I don't mean any disrespect saying that.

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:42 am

link to Jr OVC results
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o0au1mhk1y14 ... 15B6a?dl=0

Blenny placers:
80 Miller, 2nd
86 Easton, 3rd
104 Lemus, 4th
116 Martin, 2nd
122 Bryant, 6th
150 King, 2nd
160 Hayton, 3rd
205 Anderson, 4th

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:57 pm

wvnorth wrote:
gnat wrote:So you are telling me you have never heard it referred to as middle school states? I didn't say it was I said it was referred to as. It is simply the largest collection of middle school teams throughout wv and as close to a state tournament as there is at this point. I take it your school can't attend.

I'm sorry and I'm not trying to insult anyone. My son is in 8th grade and we used to go to Clarksburg as our states. We simply didn't know. We started going to Jr States in Parkersburg a few years ago. We get down state 2-3 times a year to wrestle. I love this state and it's recreation and would love to wrestle in an official tournament but it seems to change. I got everyone mad w my somewhat inconsiderate post about rescheduling and OVC . I really wish to participate in the tourneys down there but our school schedule ( I hate the school stuff again)?doesnt permit it so we appear to avoid the quality tournaments. I never knew what the WSAZ was till last year ,sadly, but wish we could attend. It looks awesome. When the WSAZ cancelled due to weather and rescheduled overtop the OVC. It was somewhat frustrating and I made some comments that were offensive and perhaps fueled by a few lagers. I truly wish to participate in the WSAZ. jr states, WVWWA, Wv duals and OVC. I mighta forgot one. What kinda schedule would that be if it were done with more schools on the borders in mind? I'd like to say once again that Blennerhassett is a solid team and I commend their decision to seek certain matches at OVC. I think they came for more competition not less and I don't mean any disrespect saying that.

Mind if I ask where you are from? I am in Wetzel county.

I have dealt with some frustration myself this year. Not only would our coach/school not even try and got to WSAZs, they didn't even go to OVACs. After my son going to WSAZs and getting 2nd in his weight class last year it was extremely upsetting that he had to miss it this year. I don't understand this lackadaisical attitude towards big tournaments up here. When we moved up north I thought we were moving into "wrestling country". Now that I am here I realize that this is far from wrestling country. There are certainly some solid wrestlers here, but the middle schools are HORRIBLE at supporting their athletes.

gnat

Postby gnat » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:00 pm

You ask pretty much any wv middle school wrestler what tournament they want to win and most if not all will tell you the wsaz. I think every team and school should do all they can to attend for their kids. This is why I was shocked blennerhasset went to ovc instead of wsaz. I bet if asked the kids would have picked wsaz.

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:57 pm

Coach Williams , I live in Hancock Co. Can't go any further north in Wv. I live 5 minutes from Ohio and Pa. It's great wrestlingup here but you gotta travel across the border. When my son was young we couldn't go to a tournament in Pa or Ohio that Josh Humphries or Caleb Haynes wasn't at. My son wrestled Caleb probably 15 times. We never beat him but we were close a few times. We wrested Josh once too, he is such a respectful kid and he and my boy were friends, he coulda pinned my boy in 5 seconds but teched him in the 2nd period so he wouldn't embarrass or discourage him. I guess I'm saying if it weren't good competition up here then 2 of the best in the state wouldn't have traveled 3-5 hours to get up here every weekend.

Gnat, I don't see why you think OVC is inferior to WSAZ? i like the idea of top 4 OVC vs top 4 WSAZ in each bracket. Let's do it after the season so no school Bullcrap stops it. All profit can go to charity. Not talking crap, I think it would be a great tourney. Glad my boy isn't #190. Lol

gnat

Postby gnat » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:27 pm

Wv north. I am not saying ovc is inferior at all. I am saying most middle school kids who live in wv would rather wrestle in the wsaz simply because it shows where they rank as far as wv middle school wrestlers. Most every wrestler I was around looked more forward to wsaz than their own county or conference tournament.

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:55 pm

Results are in. Is there any chance wvnorth can post a weight by weight prediction for ovcs "true champions" vs the wsaz champions? Don't hold back, drink some of that lager that you blamed for bringing out the courage/honesty last time you said true champions seek competition and the competition is at ovc (implying those who went to wsaz were not looking for competition and were not true champions). I wasn't there so I can't tell you which one had better competition but I can't wait to see your predictions of the sweep. I would post a prediction but I don't know many of the ovc champs and I didn't know enough of the kids at wsaz middle school to make it really interesting or funny before.

BTW when a parent says something like "WE wrestled him 15 times and WE never beat him" it usually tells me all I need to know.

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:10 am

ZZChooseTop wrote:Results are in. Is there any chance wvnorth can post a weight by weight prediction for ovcs "true champions" vs the wsaz champions? Don't hold back, drink some of that lager that you blamed for bringing out the courage/honesty last time you said true champions seek competition and the competition is at ovc (implying those who went to wsaz were not looking for competition and were not true champions). I wasn't there so I can't tell you which one had better competition but I can't wait to see your predictions of the sweep. I would post a prediction but I don't know many of the ovc champs and I didn't know enough of the kids at wsaz middle school to make it really interesting or funny before.

BTW when a parent says something like "WE wrestled him 15 times and WE never beat him" it usually tells me all I need to know.

Oooooo a good old fashioned prediction list is what you want? I couldn't imagine you'd want to criticize my every word. " WE " in my last post would refer to a wrestler and his coach (me being his coach there genius) as in WE as a team. Come on dude come with something better. My true champion statement was in no way defaming any wrestlers , it referred to certain weights where those NOT REMOVED knew who might be a better challenge at the OVC and for a team to travel to the OVC to challenge certain opponents is quite honorable. Certain top seeds in the WSAZ would have walked through OVC whereas others would meet better competition. But it seems some just can't come to grips with the fact that a few teams went there instead. Blennerhassett and Wheeling so when you say "what 2 teams?". Back to your stupid prediction list...i suggested they wrestle. No need to argue with some moron that don't even know who's wrestling in either tourney.

Return to “Middle School Wrestling”