WVYWA Middle School Division

Registratration required to post. Anyone can read.
WVYWA

WVYWA Middle School Division

Postby WVYWA » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:42 pm

I wanted to clear up some confusion regarding the Middle School division for the State Tournament. Middle School kids need to compete in their regional tournaments in order to advance to the tournament in Huntington. There has been a slight bit of confusion since they did not have to compete in qualifying tournaments. Qualifying tournaments are not the Regional Tournaments. Deadlines for entering the Regional Tournaments for Regions 1-5 are Thursday. Please have your entries in by then.

mscoach64

Re: WVYWA Middle School Division

Postby mscoach64 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:17 pm

I'm assuming not-but do middle school kids have to weigh a base weight or would they get a 2 lb growth allowance that they got while wrestling in middle school?

WVYWA

Postby WVYWA » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:55 pm

mscoach64 wrote:I'm assuming not-but do middle school kids have to weigh a base weight or would they get a 2 lb growth allowance that they got while wrestling in middle school?

They do not have to make base. They get the 2lbs allowance they received in middle school.

Example
78=80
84=86

tsb1967

Postby tsb1967 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:21 pm

Do they have to have made base weight during the season'?

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:07 am

tsb1967 wrote:Do they have to have made base weight during the season'?

This is from the front page of the WVYWA website. The way I interpret it is they do not have to have established a base weight.

Middle school wrestlers do not need to wrestle in a West Virginia Youth Wrestling Association Qualifying Tournament to establish base weight due to the majority of these wrestlers having participated in WVSSAC competition during the year. As such, wrestlers competing in the Middle School division need only return their respective entry form in the manner provided prior to the deadline and make weight to wrestle in the Region tournaments.

eaglematmonkey

Postby eaglematmonkey » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:11 am

No, they do not have to make base weight, during the middle school season or the regional.

uknowme

Postby uknowme » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:58 am

eaglematmonkey wrote:No, they do not have to make base weight, during the middle school season or the regional.

To get the two pound allowance, they had to have made base at same point right??? If not, what is stopping some parents from bumping kids down that haven't made base weight but are within the two pd allowance. I assumed that if little Johnny is wrestling 80, then he has made base at 78 at some point during the year. Right??? I'm just thinking these kids that wrestle 84 and weigh around 80-81. They could not cut down to 78 so they wrestled 84 all year. And now, they try to sneak into the 80 pd weight class without making base at 78.

wvenergyman

Postby wvenergyman » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 am

Someone from WVYWA will have to confirm but I was told my son did not have to make base at a qualifier if he wrestled that weight class and made base in middle school. I would assume you could challenge the weights if someone is using their middle school wrestling weight but usually you can find team scores somewhere to determine what they wrestled through the year. That isn't always the best option since some teams rarely have results posted. Other than that I don't know how a middle school kid could prove their weight.

The other question that I am not 100% clear on is at the regional do the middle school kids with no qualifier have to make base +1 or +2. The middle school season ends with +2 so I could see how that would be fair for them to only need a +2. I believe the original poster was saying for both the regional and states it was base +2, just making sure.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:16 pm

To clarify, there is a 1 pound allowance at regionals and a 2 pound allowance at the championships.

Regarding kids moving down a weight class because of the allowance, that is certainly a risk. I don't see many kids moving down to 78 because of a 1 pound allowance though. If they couldn't make base at 78 before Dec 31st, then it is highly unlikely they will make 79 at regionals over 2 months later either. If they can't make 79 at regionals then they can't wrestle 80 at championships anyway, so the 2 pound allowance becomes moot.

Just to add, everyone make sure you take a copy of your wrestlers proof of age. I know this sounds silly, but just CYA. I was reading the WVYWA rules and noticed it says proof of age is required. Odds are that they will not require it, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

eaglematmonkey

Postby eaglematmonkey » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:58 am

So if they didn't start wrestling until after Dec. 31st then odds are they never had to make base weight. And then you are giving them an additional pound so is the 80 pound class now 81?

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:44 am

eaglematmonkey wrote:So if they didn't start wrestling until after Dec. 31st then odds are they never had to make base weight. And then you are giving them an additional pound so is the 80 pound class now 81?

Just my .02 cents, but I feel like you are worried about something that is not an issue. Did you question whether or not Jr States confirmed that nobody was dropping weight classes? What about any other tournament you go to? In wrestling we have an honor system where we trust others to not cheat the system. Sometimes they do. Most times they don't. I don't envision an issue with dozens of wrestlers dropping down a weight class because of a 1 pound allowance. From what I can see most people are concerned that there is only a 1 pound allowance which tells me their kid is at risk of bumping up a class, not down.

Blueandwhite

Postby Blueandwhite » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:48 pm

Pretty sure you cannot go down in weight unless you either qualified at that weight or wrestled WSAZs at that weight. So say you qualified or wrestled WSAZs at 100lbs you cannot go to the regionals and wrestle 95lbs but you can wrestle 110lbs. You cannot move down without making weight at a qualifier or WSAZs.

Campion

Postby Campion » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:47 am

LMAO

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:46 am

Blueandwhite wrote:Pretty sure you cannot go down in weight unless you either qualified at that weight or wrestled WSAZs at that weight. So say you qualified or wrestled WSAZs at 100lbs you cannot go to the regionals and wrestle 95lbs but you can wrestle 110lbs. You cannot move down without making weight at a qualifier or WSAZs.

I think the concern being expressed is that someone who doesn't have results publicly posted would take advantage of the allowance. I just don't see it as that big of a worry. Most wrestlers have a score published somewhere and everyone who wrestles at regionals will be facing people they faced during the regular season, so I am pretty sure someone would notice if they tried to drop a weight class.

Return to “Middle School Wrestling”