Middle school predictions

Registratration required to post. Anyone can read.
mattman

Re: Middle school predictions

Postby mattman » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
mattman wrote:
ZZChooseTop wrote:
I have a suggestion. Because in your mind age is the factor in determining who wins and who loses there is no need for predictions. Please list date of birth alongside your wrestlers so that we can dispense with the actual wrestling and mail out the plaques based upon when they blow out the candles.

Sounds like my3sons might be that parent who challenged 8 year old's ages at youth tournaments in the quest for a better plastic trophy. Middle school and high school have age groupings, if he meets the age deadline then don't whine about him being more mature. You darn sure won't credit age or maturity as being the reason that your kids win when they are on the up side of the age grouping. Is age a factor? Yes. The other factor might just be that this young man outworks your little angel in the practice room and in the weight room.

Reminds me of a dad coach who always pointed out his son's youth as a 6th grader when he would lose to 7th or 8th graders. Got feisty with opposing coaches, referees, and bad mouthed his own head coach any time his son lost. He did not take his son to challenging tournaments unless he was on the up side of the age group. Losing was a real problem for this guy. Now that his son is an 8th grader I have noticed that he is back on here telling the wvmat world how good his son is and what top notch tournaments they plan to go to. When his son doesn't get first place we can expect to hear that the other kid was 10 days older and was therefore a "holdback" or the referee cheated or some such nonsense. If he hasn't already, he is going to ruin his kid's love of wrestling and poison a father/son relationship.

Here's an idea: Don't worry about another child's birthday unless you plan on buying him a bicycle (although kids these days would probably prefer an Amazon.com gift card). Enjoy your child's chance to learn in what I believe is the greatest sport in the World. Make positive memories.

ZZ I have no clue who you are but I gotta say you pretty much covered it. Bryce is my son and the post was made by Chad Evans from Oak Hill which unfortunately didn't have a middle school program this season. Bryce wasn't held back but due to some bad luck/hardship (which I'm not gonna get into) he had to miss several days of school and got behind on his grades. Bryce went through a tough time but it only made him hungry. As far as Chad goes, that's weak! How any grown man could throw a kids name out there like a cheater or whatever you think, is pathetic. I promise you there are several kids who have failed or been held back a grade that you don't know but I do. I'm a man and I would never talk negative about a child in any way. As far as Bryce being a contender, I will let you know come February or so. Bryce will be at the 110 lb weight class at wsaz this season. He is 18-0 with 17 pins. Bryce is doing fine and is a happy and very good kid! Win, lose, or draw I am very proud of my son and will back him like a lioness on her cubs! Lotta tough kids out there and I have learned to never count your chickens before they hatch. I wish all wrestlers a successful and healthy season and for the new kids, never give up! Push hard at practice, listen to your coaches and you will get better every single day! God bless!

If I was in Oak Hill, I would be concerned about wrestling surviving. The high school had two state tournament qualifiers due back. One is wrestling and I do not see the other in the scores as of yet. The high school has 6 weight classes filled and forfeiting eight. Based on what I read above, the middle school's program is shut down. This will probably carry over into shutting down the high school program in a year or two. These are real problems.
how old they believe s kid is seems to be the problem. Gotta love concerned parents! Oak hill has plenty of athletes and used to field a decent sized youth team. Something happened and the youth program split ways and it's been downhill from there. They need a parent who knows a little to step up and get these kids on the mat. It really sucks to see the amount of teams who don't have a squad this year. The kids are the ones who suffer and it breaks my heart

Mythreesons

Postby Mythreesons » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:08 pm

mattman wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
mattman wrote:ZZ I have no clue who you are but I gotta say you pretty much covered it. Bryce is my son and the post was made by Chad Evans from Oak Hill which unfortunately didn't have a middle school program this season. Bryce wasn't held back but due to some bad luck/hardship (which I'm not gonna get into) he had to miss several days of school and got behind on his grades. Bryce went through a tough time but it only made him hungry. As far as Chad goes, that's weak! How any grown man could throw a kids name out there like a cheater or whatever you think, is pathetic. I promise you there are several kids who have failed or been held back a grade that you don't know but I do. I'm a man and I would never talk negative about a child in any way. As far as Bryce being a contender, I will let you know come February or so. Bryce will be at the 110 lb weight class at wsaz this season. He is 18-0 with 17 pins. Bryce is doing fine and is a happy and very good kid! Win, lose, or draw I am very proud of my son and will back him like a lioness on her cubs! Lotta tough kids out there and I have learned to never count your chickens before they hatch. I wish all wrestlers a successful and healthy season and for the new kids, never give up! Push hard at practice, listen to your coaches and you will get better every single day! God bless!

If I was in Oak Hill, I would be concerned about wrestling surviving. The high school had two state tournament qualifiers due back. One is wrestling and I do not see the other in the scores as of yet. The high school has 6 weight classes filled and forfeiting eight. Based on what I read above, the middle school's program is shut down. This will probably carry over into shutting down the high school program in a year or two. These are real problems.
how old they believe s kid is seems to be the problem. Gotta love concerned parents! Oak hill has plenty of athletes and used to field a decent sized youth team. Something happened and the youth program split ways and it's been downhill from there. They need a parent who knows a little to step up and get these kids on the mat. It really sucks to see the amount of teams who don't have a squad this year. The kids are the ones who suffer and it breaks my heart

Matt

This is Elijah my dad didn't comment on Double_Blast post I did. He really likes you and has a lot of respect for you, and Bryce. The other night after practice my dad came home and told me that Bryce was wrestling again and that he had been working in the off season and was looking real good and would win a WSAZ title. I told him we wrestled shady three times and I hadn't seen Bryce yet and he told me he was wrestling middle school. I told him if I was wrestling in middle school I would win one 2. He told me it was no different than wrestling a kid up in youth or a freshman wrestling an upperclassmen we argued over it and he told me to drop it I didn't know what I was talking about or everything behind the reason Bryce was still in middle school and it was within the rules and to shut up about it. I use my dads computer to look at WV mat and flo so the next day I was on here and saw the post and commented on it. If you read the comments I didn't say anything bad about Bryce and after Double_Blast commented I know what I did was wrong and should have said something then but didn't. After my dads name was said I knew I had to own up to what I had said and when he reads all of this I know he's going to be mad at me and disappointed. Matt after I read your comment I realized my dad was right and I was wrong I didn't know what I was talking about. Matt I'm not asking this because I'm worried about what my dad is going to do to me, because I deserve what ever he gives me but because it's the right thing to do. I don't know if Bryce will read this but I'm sorry and I apologize to you Matt and Double_Blast and to everyone who reads this post It was immature

Dad I'm sorry

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:17 pm

This is actually a good lesson for all of us, myself included. Long before the internet and cellphones and according to the younger ones who visit my house now, maybe even automobiles, I was a kid. Despite the threats I was not headed to pruntytown but I know that I caused my parents plenty of grief. I was quick to jump on the bandwagon and slam my3sons for being a jerk to a kid. I don't like when I see adults who have probably never accomplished anything in their life being mean to kids who are trying their best. I had no idea that my3sons was actually a kid himself using his dads account. He screwed up but his apology seems heartfelt and I hope his dad recognizes this for what it is, a learning opportunity. It could have been much much worse and if this misstep results in him learning a lesson about internet safety then I think it was worth it. my3sons teenager could have been on another site and shared information which could have endangered himself physically and his family financially. It could have been on his social media and cost him a scholarship or job. Mattman's son did nothing to earn the snide comments but if this is the worst thing that another kid says to him then he will live a very sheltered happy life. It doesn't make it ok but it takes a different light when it is a kid saying snide things about another kid versus an adult saying things about a kid. I was not a perfect kid and I turned out ok. Thank God that I didn't have a cell phone and the only computers that I knew about were sending men into space not finding men pretending to be women on myspace. Kids have it easier in some ways and harder in others. Good luck to mattman & my3sons I think parenting is harder for this generation.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:14 pm

It appears all is well now or at least on the road to recovery except.........................Oak Hill needs to get re-engaged to wrestling.

Oak Hill never had a team back in the 80s. I was glad to see they had a team 6-8 years ago when I got re-engaged to wrestling.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

abettnman

Postby abettnman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:11 am

mattman wrote:
ZZChooseTop wrote:
Mythreesons wrote:I not trying to be mean in any way. I'm glad Perdue is wrestling again, but being 15 in the 8th grade tends to make it a little bit easier against 6th and 7th graders who are 11 and 12, and not reached puberty yet. I know he will face some 13 or 14 yr olds in 8th that have, but it's a big difference than a freshman facing a upperclassman. I know someone will say it's no difference, but there is a big one when a 11yr old faces a 15yr old. Or a 14 or 15 yr old faces an 18yr old

I have a suggestion. Because in your mind age is the factor in determining who wins and who loses there is no need for predictions. Please list date of birth alongside your wrestlers so that we can dispense with the actual wrestling and mail out the plaques based upon when they blow out the candles.

Sounds like my3sons might be that parent who challenged 8 year old's ages at youth tournaments in the quest for a better plastic trophy. Middle school and high school have age groupings, if he meets the age deadline then don't whine about him being more mature. You darn sure won't credit age or maturity as being the reason that your kids win when they are on the up side of the age grouping. Is age a factor? Yes. The other factor might just be that this young man outworks your little angel in the practice room and in the weight room.

Reminds me of a dad coach who always pointed out his son's youth as a 6th grader when he would lose to 7th or 8th graders. Got feisty with opposing coaches, referees, and bad mouthed his own head coach any time his son lost. He did not take his son to challenging tournaments unless he was on the up side of the age group. Losing was a real problem for this guy. Now that his son is an 8th grader I have noticed that he is back on here telling the wvmat world how good his son is and what top notch tournaments they plan to go to. When his son doesn't get first place we can expect to hear that the other kid was 10 days older and was therefore a "holdback" or the referee cheated or some such nonsense. If he hasn't already, he is going to ruin his kid's love of wrestling and poison a father/son relationship.

Here's an idea: Don't worry about another child's birthday unless you plan on buying him a bicycle (although kids these days would probably prefer an Amazon.com gift card). Enjoy your child's chance to learn in what I believe is the greatest sport in the World. Make positive memories.

ZZ I have no clue who you are but I gotta say you pretty much covered it. Bryce is my son and the post was made by Chad Evans from Oak Hill which unfortunately didn't have a middle school program this season. Bryce wasn't held back but due to some bad luck/hardship (which I'm not gonna get into) he had to miss several days of school and got behind on his grades. Bryce went through a tough time but it only made him hungry. As far as Chad goes, that's weak! How any grown man could throw a kids name out there like a cheater or whatever you think, is pathetic. I promise you there are several kids who have failed or been held back a grade that you don't know but I do. I'm a man and I would never talk negative about a child in any way. As far as Bryce being a contender, I will let you know come February or so. Bryce will be at the 110 lb weight class at wsaz this season. He is 18-0 with 17 pins. Bryce is doing fine and is a happy and very good kid! Win, lose, or draw I am very proud of my son and will back him like a lioness on her cubs! Lotta tough kids out there and I have learned to never count your chickens before they hatch. I wish all wrestlers a successful and healthy season and for the new kids, never give up! Push hard at practice, listen to your coaches and you will get better every single day! God bless!

I don't feel this person was meaning anything bad. I believe he was expressing his opinion that his age at 15 gives him an advantage at the middle school level.
I am sure that the 15 year old has an advantage over my 11 yr old in middle school for sure...

mattman

Postby mattman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:56 am

abettnman wrote:
mattman wrote:
ZZChooseTop wrote:

I don't feel this person was meaning anything bad. I believe he was expressing his opinion that his age at 15 gives him an advantage at the middle school level.
I am sure that the 15 year old has an advantage over my 11 yr old in middle school for sure...
does a 14 year old have an advantage over a 13 year old or another 14 year old? That depends really! Imo a certain 13 year old can have an advantage over a late blossoming 16 year old. Puberty is a big thing in middle school. I have seen 6th graders who look 14 and 8th graders who look 12. It doesn't really matter the age imo. Bryce lost to plenty of older kids, younger kids basically every type of kid. Age only matters on certain individual as a basis. Once your in high school your free game. Does the 15 year old heavyweight have a disadvantage against the 18 year old HWT? Absolutely, but he still has to put his toe on that line and make it happen. As you can see I'm not one who is big on middle school wrestling results. Yes, winning is very important to the participants and the families and the coaches but we are really prepping for high school wrestling. Took me many years to learn that the jr state tournament wasn't the olympics lol. A wise man by the name of Dave Hart taught me so much about keeping a kid interested and one day it will all come together and he was right. You see so many kids that win 5-6-7-8 jr state titles and never get on the podium or even wrestle in high school. Alotta kids who actually know the technique aren't strong enough or are a little timid to to make it work. Moral of the story is age is only a number, some kids mature faster than others but in the end hard work and a good coach and training partner will take you to the top.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:58 am

I have not seen any results for Colby Piner of Eastern Greenbrier this year. Does anyone know if Piner is wrestling? He is a good talent.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:05 am

I just got back from the Powerade Tournament. There was a 9th grader who upset the number 1 seed. He then went on and won the tournament and was declared MOW. He was the only Freshman in the finals.

I am sure there were 48 other wrestlers in his weight class that wish he had been held back. Eighth graders are not allowed into the High School portion of the Powerade.

I would recommend everybody quit checking ages and start having their wrestlers do some squats.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

matburn01

Postby matburn01 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:47 pm

After Mt. State Clash my updated predictions
78-Freeman (point)
84-Bartley (Barboursville) Caron (indy) Irizarry (Edison)
90-Wright (Edison) Smith (point)
95-Raike (point)
102-Freeman (point) Sanders (indy) Spradling (Hayes)
110-White (point)
116-Fisher(Milton)
123-Oliver (point)
128-Adams (Indy)
135-Dempsey (Huntington) Nixon
145-Quiocho (Edison)
155-Thompson (warm springs)
171-Buckalew(blenny) Mitchell (point)
190-Kelly (Barboursville)
Hwt-Trouder (Lincoln)
Last edited by matburn01 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deepsouth

Postby deepsouth » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:49 pm

Mid Season Predictions

78- Freeman
84- Short, Caron, Irizarry, Bartley
90- Smith, Wright
95- Raike
102- Freeman, Sanders, Spradling
110- White, Daly
116- Fisher, Perdue
123- Olliver, Ball
128- Adams, Miller, Barrett
135- Kesterson, Nixon, Dempsey
145- Brown, Quiocho, Amburgey
155- Thompson, Van Meter
171- Covert (171 at Hamlin this week)
190- Kelley
Hwt- Cook, White

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:04 pm

You should probably at Shelek in the mix at 90 and Gooch at 123. Both don't wrestle for their middle school, but are multiple time state champs.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:07 pm

I also assume Vaughn is around 116/123/128 someplace right?

deepsouth

Postby deepsouth » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:04 pm

WP1992 wrote:I also assume Vaughn is around 116/123/128 someplace right?

I believe He is playing basketball this year instead of wrestling.

RuntheBar

Postby RuntheBar » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:32 pm

Wright has beat smith and shelek.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:45 pm

I thought Quiocho was wrestling 155. Any word on Colby Piner this season?
Last edited by mscoach64 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:13 pm

I saw Gage at Powerade. He looked good. The others mentioned are still good enough to have a fighting chance any given day.

Wrestling 4life

Postby Wrestling 4life » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:28 pm

deepsouth wrote:Mid Season Predictions

78- Freeman
84-Bartley, Short, Caron, Irizarry,
90- Wright,Smith,
95- Raike
102- Freeman, Sanders, Spradling
110- White, Daly
116- Fisher, Perdue
123- Olliver, Ball
128- Adams, Miller, Barrett
135-Nixon, Kesterson, Dempsey
145-Quiocho, Savage
155- Thompson, Van Meter
171- Covert (171 at Hamlin this week)
190- Kelley
Hwt- Cook, White

Goherd989

Postby Goherd989 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:06 am

78- Freeman- Point Pleasant
84- Bartley- Barboursville
90- Wright- Edison
95- Raike- Point Pleasant
102- Freeman- Point Pleasant
110- White- Point Pleasant
116- Perdue- Shady Spring
123- Ball- Huntington East
128- Adams- Indy
135- Dempsey- Huntington
145- Quiocho- Edison
155- Thompson- Warm Springs
171- Covert- Winfield
190- Kelley- Barboursville
HW- Cook- Huntington East

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:42 pm

If Piner is wrestling, then i'd imagine that he'd be a threat somewhere. As far as Quiocho is concerned, all the scores on this site has him wrestling 155.

mattman

Postby mattman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:14 am

Goherd989 wrote:78- Freeman- Point Pleasant
90- Wright- Edison
128- Adams- Indy
135- Dempsey- Huntington
145- Quiocho- Edison
171- Covert- Winfield
those are as close to my mental rankings so far. Your forgetting about Short at 84lbs

Wrestling 4life

Postby Wrestling 4life » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:45 am

mattman wrote:
90- Wright- Edison
128- Adams- Indy
135- Dempsey- Huntington
145- Quiocho- Edison
171- Covert- Winfield
those are as close to my mental rankings so far. Your forgetting about Short at 84lbs

Bartley has not even been scored on this year should be a good match between him and short maybe he can get a little bit of competition this year he handled Freeman this year 7-0 beat Irizarry 17-0 in the Second was up 12-0 and pined Caron in the Second i'd say Bartley is going to come out on top of 84 this year he's doing pretty good for a 6th grader

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:09 am

Wrestling 4life wrote:
mattman wrote:
90- Wright- Edison
128- Adams- Indy
135- Dempsey- Huntington
145- Quiocho- Edison
171- Covert- Winfield

Bartley has not even been scored on this year should be a good match between him and short maybe he can get a little bit of competition this year he handled Freeman this year 7-0 beat Irizarry 17-0 in the Second was up 12-0 and pined Caron in the Second i'd say Bartley is going to come out on top of 84 this year he's doing pretty good for a 6th grader

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:11 am

Lol. First of all. Didn't short tech Bartley less than a year ago? And also I saw the freeman match. The score was definitely not 7-0. Everyone check. Can't wait til the 21st. Gonna be a shocker

Wrestling 4life

Postby Wrestling 4life » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:35 pm

oroyos wrote:Lol. First of all. Didn't short tech Bartley less than a year ago? And also I saw the freeman match. The score was definitely not 7-0. Everyone check. Can't wait til the 21st. Gonna be a shocker

It was 10-6 they are wrestling next weekend at Milton we will see so get that right Bartley has not stopped he is 56-0 this year how did short do against gage Bailey in the state finals last year I think It was 3-1 seems to look like Bartley has pined him three or four times since then in the first round so will see how the 6th grader does against the 8th grader(/quote) so your prediction is short tech Bartley will pin him

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:33 pm

Wrestling 4life wrote:
oroyos wrote:Lol. First of all. Didn't short tech Bartley less than a year ago? And also I saw the freeman match. The score was definitely not 7-0. Everyone check. Can't wait til the 21st. Gonna be a shocker

It was 10-6 they are wrestling next weekend at Milton we will see so get that right Bartley has not stopped he is 56-0 this year how did short do against gage Bailey in the state finals last year I think It was 3-1 seems to look like Bartley has pined him three or four times since then in the first round so will see how the 6th grader does against the 8th grader(/quote) so your prediction is short tech Bartley will pin him

It'll be a good match. Short hasn't wrestled all year due to injury. Talking trash usually comes back to bite u. Short has nothing to lose. Good luck this weekend! #beturnervous

abettnman

Postby abettnman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:46 pm

oroyos wrote:
Wrestling 4life wrote:

It'll be a good match. Short hasn't wrestled all year due to injury. Talking trash usually comes back to bite u. Short has nothing to lose. Good luck this weekend! #beturnervous

Yes, I believe it will be a good match, at first. I believe that Bartley will take control of the match as it goes on. I don't think it will be a pin, but I do believe that Bartley will be in control of the match. Also, notice the name be willing to accept a wager...lol

Wrestling 4life

Postby Wrestling 4life » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:50 pm

I don't know what match you watched but I was setting beside Bartley grandmother at the Charleston duals and seen it for my self it was a dominating match between Bartley and Freeman when it's all said and done for all three great wrestlers but you got to give credit where credit is due I know for a fact my son goes down to ground zero and Mathew Bartley has not quit since last year The match Short beat Bartley in was at the Mahendra open November 18 I think and Bartley just got off of the football field with no practice there's a big difference between leage wrestling and club wrestling Bartley puts in as much work as any of themI guarantee you that

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:53 pm

What's the spread? Lol

abettnman

Postby abettnman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:59 pm

oroyos wrote:What's the spread? Lol

Short +2 points...

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:03 pm