Middle school wrestlers in opens

Registratration required to post. Anyone can read.
Wrestlewv

Middle school wrestlers in opens

Postby Wrestlewv » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:34 pm

Can someone clarify the rules for a middle school wrestlers ability to wrestle in opens when there is no middle school matches scheduled. I have been told they can not wrestle under the school name or any the school gear. Now I'm hearing others say they can not even do opens.

mattman

Re: Middle school wrestlers in opens

Postby mattman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:02 am

You can wrestle any tournament you want as long as your school/team isn't wrestling that week. You have to register independent. Why would the ssac or any parent want to challenge and suspend a middle school kid? The lengths a parent or even I have seen coaches challenge a kids eligibility to dodge that particular opponent. It's about the kids! If the kids are in the matroom or at a tournament, that is much better than a kid running the roads or parties with friends.

mscoach26

Postby mscoach26 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:31 pm

Also you can not wear anything with the school name on it or have your middle school coaches in your corner. Yes, the SSAC will come down on you for this. I have seen it happen more than once.

IndyHart

Postby IndyHart » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:49 pm

Technically, the rule also requires that the school's principal give permission for the wrestler to compete outside of school competition. Ordinarily, that isn't an issue, but not all principals are friendly to the sport of wrestling, so you may want to mention it to the principal at your school.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:36 pm

In some parts of the state, most of the better wrestlers have found it more beneficial to their development to just not wrestle for their middle school team. That makes it easy!

Return to “Middle School Wrestling”