Not sure why we have polls?

Registratration required to post. Anyone can read.
mscoach6

Not sure why we have polls?

Postby mscoach6 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:52 pm

This by no means is a reflection on all but. Just looking at some of the votes so far. Whether it is being too lazy to look at scores or lack of integrity on the coaches part. Voting teams above teams that have beat them head to head or finished above them at every tournament both have been. Or making excuses why you lost. Some matches I think my team could have done better, but at that moment they didn't, they lost. It's all very disgraceful in my book. Same goes for seeding meetings, was at falcon invitational this year. Second week of year, so not a lot to go on but a coaches word. Kids that had been beat by kids at Charleston duals seeded above them just because the winning kids coach failed to attend meeting. Causing finals match ups in the semi final or even quarter-final round. If we are the leaders and teachers of these kids. They are doomed. Good luck or your popularity contest.

Bearhugger

Re: Not sure why we have polls?

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:31 pm

Generally speaking, the problem with most kids is the adults in their lives.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

uknowme

Postby uknowme » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:58 pm

Another problem is too many teams host tris, quads or tournaments and post no results. That's a complete disgrace. If you host something you should post results for everyone to see. Those kids work their butts off and deserve the recognition. Guess if a team doesn't perform like they should have the coach doesn't submit the results, just post those wins!!

coastietrooper

Postby coastietrooper » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:23 pm

Yeah, I'd be interested to see what East and West Fairmont have this year, along with a couple other programs, but I see none of their scores/results.

abettnman

Postby abettnman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:49 am

uknowme wrote:Another problem is too many teams host tris, quads or tournaments and post no results. That's a complete disgrace. If you host something you should post results for everyone to see. Those kids work their butts off and deserve the recognition. Guess if a team doesn't perform like they should have the coach doesn't submit the results, just post those wins!!

This is so true !!!!! It's ridiculous...

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:54 am

When I was HC at Eastern I didn't vote in the polls. When I saw how other people acted in the voting area, attacking each other and being rude, I realized it was a joke.

Instead I told my wrestlers to ignore the poll and just wrestle their best every weekend and let their record speak for itself. They did exactly that. We finished as high or higher in every tournament but WSAZs as we did the previous year and at Zs we put two in the championships for the first time in school history. In spite of that, we were never ranked as high as we were the previous year and a team that went 0-3 against in duals was consistently ranked 5-8 spots higher than us, proving that the team polls were exactly what I thought they were.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:45 pm

coach_williams wrote:When I was HC at Eastern I didn't vote in the polls. When I saw how other people acted in the voting area, attacking each other and being rude, I realized it was a joke.

Instead I told my wrestlers to ignore the poll and just wrestle their best every weekend and let their record speak for itself. They did exactly that. We finished as high or higher in every tournament but WSAZs as we did the previous year and at Zs we put two in the championships for the first time in school history. In spite of that, we were never ranked as high as we were the previous year and a team that went 0-3 against in duals was consistently ranked 5-8 spots higher than us, proving that the team polls were exactly what I thought they were.

As Paul Harvey use to say and now the rest of the story. He left off the fact that his assistant did vote. In fact he voted for schools that did not even have wrestling teams. If the other coaches ridiculing him for that is coach Williams idea of coaches being rude then I'm probably guilty. So while Coach Williams may or may not have voted, his team had a voice.

I think the polls have value as a reward or motivator.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:27 am

mscoach57 wrote:As Paul Harvey use to say and now the rest of the story. He left off the fact that his assistant did vote. In fact he voted for schools that did not even have wrestling teams. If the other coaches ridiculing him for that is coach Williams idea of coaches being rude then I'm probably guilty. So while Coach Williams may or may not have voted, his team had a voice.

Yes he did and his single vote for a school with no team was having zero impact on the polls. However, multiple people like yourself intentionally voting a team low in the polls because you don't like a coach did have an impact on the polls.

The rudeness I speak of was not towards my assistant.

I agree they had value as a motivator. That bunch of 6th and 7th graders we were coaching were highly motivated to prove the poll wrong.

My point, that you seem to have missed, was that the OP is correct. Coaches let bias influence their vote.

Frank

Postby Frank » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:11 am

mscoach57 wrote:
coach_williams wrote:When I was HC at Eastern I didn't vote in the polls. When I saw how other people acted in the voting area, attacking each other and being rude, I realized it was a joke.

As Paul Harvey use to say and now the rest of the story. He left off the fact that his assistant did vote. In fact he voted for schools that did not even have wrestling teams. If the other coaches ridiculing him for that is coach Williams idea of coaches being rude then I'm probably guilty. So while Coach Williams may or may not have voted, his team had a voice.

Ms57 , what a JA

Return to “Middle School Wrestling”