WVYWA Kick Off on The Hill

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
CoachontheHill

WVYWA Kick Off on The Hill

Postby CoachontheHill » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:31 pm

All entries must be mailed in with form of payment. Everything else will be considered a walk in at $25. There will be no weight allowance, this is a WVYWA qualifier. We are expecting a large turn out and we will wrestle on five mats in two sessions. Morning session 4U, 6U, and 8U. We will begin running the 4U during the scratch meeting, that way we can get the little ones out as soon as possible. Second session 10U, 12U, MS. We will run all MS matches during the second scratch meeting. I'm not looking to have many MS kids due to the Charleston Inv. going on Friday and Saturday @ GW. No coolers will be allowed in, concessions will be open all day.

wrestlingmom105

Re: WVYWA Kick Off on The Hill

Postby wrestlingmom105 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:37 pm

This is the most unorganized, joke of a wrestling tournament that I have ever been to. My son was supposed to wrestle at 1:00 and now at 3:30 he hasn't even wrestled his first match. The "trophies" are paper medals. The facility is disgusting. No food in the concession stands. No toilet paper in the restrooms. People are rude. Most teams want to leave but since they paid are staying. We will never return to this tournament again. It's a damn shame for kids to have to sit all day and wait to wrestle. They practice hard all week, cut weight, and for what...a piece of paper. If you can't put on a decent tournament then don't take people's money. You should be ashamed to be affiliated with this tournament. We were told No Walk-ins allowed and 209 kids were allowed to walk-in. And there was no wrestling for true 2nd but according to the registration form it was supposed to be allowed. When asked about it the director would not honor. #Disgusted

Sparsons26105

Postby Sparsons26105 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:47 pm

I agree 100%. I have been here with my nephew since 11:30 and he hasaid not wrestled yet. Part of the issue is that kids are running everything. Plus allowing over 200 walk ins is crazy. They had to pay a cougars parent coach to complete the brackets since nobody here knee how to do them. Kids sit all day, then wrestle 4-5 times in 30 min. These people have no business running a tournament.

ENichols1911

Postby ENichols1911 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:30 pm

We left at 5:00 bc our 9 year old still hadn't wrestled. Since we have two children, one 6, we had been there since 6:30 AM. We sat there all day waiting on a paper necklace. That's right, no trophies. The worse tourney we have EVER been too. No excuse for it. They also refused to wrestle for a TRUE second, after it was posted in BOLD print on their registration form. Oh and they made it a point to put that it would be ran quickly and on time....bahahaha! Count us out on any future "shin-digs" they try to throw. Greed will kick them in the ass when nobody shows up next year!!

wrestlingmom105

Postby wrestlingmom105 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:39 pm

And now our coaches are running their tables and not getting to coach our kids! Unbelievable!!!

Sparsons26105

Postby Sparsons26105 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:44 pm

We are still waiting in our 1st match and been here since 11:30. It is 5:45. In the little gym, two different teams are running both mats.

wrestlingmom105

Postby wrestlingmom105 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:57 pm

It needs to be noted that this is not a direct reflection of George Washington high school or their wrestling program. Edge wrestling were the ones in charge of this tournament. George Washington high school had no responsibility for anything that happened. They didn't even get any money from the tournament for they are wrestling program.....

Sparsons26105

Postby Sparsons26105 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:47 pm

To Enichols1911

I would like to point out that in the little gym, one of the competitive edge coaches kids was permitted to wrestle for a true second. Nobody else on that mat was permitted, but he made sure that their wrestler got to wrestle that extra match when everyone else was told no. We had kids on our team that only wrestled once, got a forfeit then somehow got lost in the shuffle and didn't wrestle again. Those families sat there all day waiting for their kids to wrestle another match and was told that the weight class is done and that they just have to go home. We also had a kid that was forfeited from the bracket because he did not show up down stairs to wrestle, but they moved that weight class from upstairs. That kid and parent had stepped out of the gym to the concession stand and was gone for 5 min - the announcement occurred during that time. Nobody announced upstairs or down stairs for our wrestler. He was simply forfeited. I am sure that the table worker assumed that our kid was like the dozens of others that left without wrestling their matches because they got tired of waiting and just put forfeit and went on.

To the competitive edge folks. While I have never ran a tournament other than helping with tables from time to time, I know that there are a bunch of things that have to be taken into consideration. I believe that in the future you need to invest a little cash and get someone that has ran a few tournaments and set this up for you. I believe that the school building is big enough to accommodate this tournament in the future, you just need to get someone that knows what they are doing in there and set the brackets up and train table workers. I am sure if you try to do this again next year that your attendance will be down. You will have to get a couple successful years under your belt in order to get several of these teams back. Including ours.

CoachontheHill

Postby CoachontheHill » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:12 pm

To Everyone who attended:
We tried to put on a simple tournament. We were thinking about 250-300 kids. We made the entries cheap $15 for mail ins, $25 walk ins, to get more entries early. We got 230 early entries. We were not trying to be greedy by taking walk ins, we were thinking we would have a few. When all was said and done about half the entries were walk ins which really played into what happened. I have attended tournaments that lasted all day, its not fun. We learned not to take walk ins if we ever do this again. I completely understand the frustration. We all want the same thing, to grow the sport we love. If we do another Kick Off I would bring in our whole region to help with it do to the number of kids. This was a true learning experience, thank you to everyone who helped. On a bright note, we had some really great competition with some of the best wrestlers in the country, It was also great seeing teams from all over the state come together for the KIDS. I am proud of each and every competitor yesterday. I saw great matches and even better sportsmanship. To all, good luck this year and we will have the results posted ASAP.

James

Postby James » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:25 pm

Are the results for this tournament going to be posted?

Beast

Postby Beast » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:34 pm

Yes. I hope to have them done & posted this evening.

Beast

Postby Beast » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:20 pm

Results are posted. Let me know if there are any errors.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:11 pm

did you not have any MS wrestlers heavier than 135?

fromzerotohero

Postby fromzerotohero » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:45 pm

Beast wrote:Results are posted. Let me know if there are any errors.

anybody know where i can find the posted results for this tournament?

thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:56 pm

Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

Return to “Youth Wrestling”