WVYWA CHAMPIONSHIPS

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
J rollins

WVYWA CHAMPIONSHIPS

Postby J rollins » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:01 pm

So 5 out of 8 mats not being used and announcing each kids name to wrestle is the most efficient way to run a state tournament I guess?? Junior States here I come!

abettnman

Re: WVYWA CHAMPIONSHIPS

Postby abettnman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:15 pm

J rollins wrote:So 5 out of 8 mats not being used and announcing each kids name to wrestle is the most efficient way to run a state tournament I guess?? Junior States here I come!

I understand it may have ran slow at times, overall I thought was ran well. These practice and work hard. They deserve to have their names announced. Also I believe most of the time the matches were already in progress while he was announcing the names. So I don’t feel that held it up much.

Goherd989

Postby Goherd989 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:07 pm

Outside of the first hour of the first day, I thought it was well ran.
Some people complained about the announcer but I think it gives more of a “big time” atmosphere. I also agree that the kids like hearing their name called.
Most people I talked to thought it was a well ran tournament, but you are never going to please everyone. That’s the nature of the beast.

mscoach144

Postby mscoach144 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:14 am

I really felt like there was alot of down time. Mats were empty alot. Runners was not efficient needed more runners per table. Keeping people off the floor was a joke, i dont think it was as bad as Beckley with floor issue but still if it's the rule it needs to be forced. I looked around several times and there was parents with no bands on the in the corners. There was no supplies furnished for the tables no info sent out that table workers was responsible to bring things. Big issue was forfite yes I understand alot of sickness was going around which cant be helped but move the brackets so kids didnt sit 4 plus hours or not wrestle at all. I also feel being there til after 10 on first night should have not happened. Some kids cant leave til their parents are finished. 2 hour break between semi and finals just roll on with it. If that was going to be the case then Leone of Saturday evening session could been in Sunday to help with everyone getting out at decent hour Saturday night.

SMC

Postby SMC » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:19 pm

J rollins wrote:So 5 out of 8 mats not being used and announcing each kids name to wrestle is the most efficient way to run a state tournament I guess?? Junior States here I come!

The announcing had no bearing on the efficiency of the tournament. It was simply informational to announce who was wrestling where. There were many instances where matches were half over or completely over before the were announced.

The worst decision they made was to wrestle an additional round of consolations on Saturday night.

May also want to consider a split start in the future.

J rollins

Postby J rollins » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:15 am

Several mats being empty throughout the day is not efficient. Period! When you have over 1k wrestlers being efficient is critical. Kids were wrestling near 10:00 at night on day 1. Thats a problem. Run the next bout to the open mat. Get off the mic and wrestle! Announcing every wrestler for 2 days doesnt effect the time?? Really? I understand maybe announce for the finals match.. but every single match. Thats absurd! Coaches can't coach with a guy yelling in a mic every 10 seconds. I honestly think it could be a great tournament with some minor changes. Im not bashing just giving my opinion on how we can improve.

J rollins

Postby J rollins » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:17 am

I like the idea of a split session as well. That would take care of several issues.

Return to “Youth Wrestling”