New WV Youth Wrestling Association

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Beast

New WV Youth Wrestling Association

Postby Beast » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:17 pm

Can someone give an update on this newly formed organization?

Details please?

Jchap8750

Re: New WV Youth Wrestling Association

Postby Jchap8750 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:50 pm

All I really know is wvywa.com is the website

tsb1967

Postby tsb1967 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:45 am

I visited the web site. Nicely done. Very professional.

James

Postby James » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:23 pm

I also have looked at the site, read through some of the bylaws and such. What I couldn't find is how the point system will work, the rules. I see a tournament in November that is a point qualifier, how will this work? The more tournaments you hit the more points you get? If I have overlooked it on the site or if anyone knows please post.

Wrestlingprodigy40

Postby Wrestlingprodigy40 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:47 pm

If I'm not mistaken, it's the more points the better seed. Also head to head will go into account as well. Certain tournaments will be points. Sort of like Ohio.

Goherd989

Postby Goherd989 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:49 pm

Some questions.
1) I see regions. Does this mean you will have to place in a regional to qualify for states?
2) Are points from placing in tournaments used in seedlings for regionals or states... Or both?
3) when will all the changes be conveyed to the general public?

Thanks in advance.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:41 pm

I have been asked to reply to the posts on this site. First I will answer the last set of questions:
1) I see regions. Does this mean you will have to place in a regional to qualify for states?
Yes, In order to wrestle in the WVYWA state championships, the wrestler will need to place top 4 to qualify and advance.
2) Are points from placing in tournaments used in seeding for regionals or states... Or both?
Points from placing tournaments may be used in your region to establish seeding criteria, but they are not the only criteria that your regional representatives might use. More importantly, these tournaments will be used to establish a base weight for your wrestlers to compete at Regional and State Venues. If a wrestler does not attend at least one seeding tournament, he/she will be ineligible for competition in the Regional tournament. The qualifying tournament does not need to be in the Region/Area of your Region/Area tournament. Any qualifying tournament in the state will do.
3) when will all the changes be conveyed to the general public?
We are working very hard in our respective Areas and as an organization to get as much information to you as soon as possible. We will have more information coming out int October after our next general association board meeting. We are excited about the future of wrestling in the great state of West Virginia and want everyone to be a part of it.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to get a hold of your area rep. Their contact information can be found on WVYWA's website @ http://www.wvywa.com.

ebpioneer96

Postby ebpioneer96 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:43 pm

Do you have to qualify in the region your from, or can you go to any region to qualify

J.W.

Postby J.W. » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:48 pm

ebpioneer96 wrote:Do you have to qualify in the region your from, or can you go to any region to qualify

Yes, you will have to qualify from the region that you live. There is one club that has requested an Exception To Policy to the assigned region because they fell on a border line and that was already addressed.

ebpioneer96

Postby ebpioneer96 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:59 pm

i was asked that question and was not sure. i figured you did juat wanted to make sure before i gave them an answer.

Wm0mof3

Postby Wm0mof3 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:31 pm

I am really confused on how this will work. I have visited the website. The only qualifying tournament I see is not in our region. I am in charge of scheduling tournaments for our league and do not want to mess up to where our kids cannot compete at the state tournament. Is someone going to clarify how this will work?

J.W.

Postby J.W. » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:36 pm

Wm0mof3 wrote:I am really confused on how this will work. I have visited the website. The only qualifying tournament I see is not in our region. I am in charge of scheduling tournaments for our league and do not want to mess up to where our kids cannot compete at the state tournament. Is someone going to clarify how this will work?

Qualifying means that you wrestle in any of the tournaments listed as a WVYWA qualifier prior to regionals at the weight class you plan to wrestle for your regional, essentially meeting a base weight. You earn points towards regional seedING through the qualifiers based on placing points. Your seeding at states will be determined by your placement at the regional tourney. Hope this helps with info you were looking for.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:18 am

From the Editor:

I got this email:

My son is wrestling independent this year and I heard there is a point system to get into the state tournaments. Do I have to register him somewhere to get a wrestling number or something for the points system.

Can someone address this man's question?
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:11 pm

Response to this Question:
My son is wrestling independent this year and I heard there is a point system to get into the state tournaments. Do I have to register him somewhere to get a wrestling number or something for the points system.

Although we encourage your son to participate with the local clubs, it is not required for him to compete in the Area Tournaments or the State Tournament. The purpose of the point system is to better help us rank the kids appropriately. The purpose of the qualifying tournaments is two fold: 1 they can earn points toward possible seeds in the Area Tournaments and 2 to establish their base weight.

As far as registering him. Once you child participates in a qualifying tournament, your child's name will be used to track his point accumulations and his base weight. I encourage you to check the website and our Facebook page for updates. If you have any questions you can find our Area Representatives contact information on our website at http://www.wvywa.com navigate to your Area's page and click on show officers. Email addresses and phone numbers have been provided.

Campet

Postby Campet » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:37 pm

Can you please clarify about the base weight? If a wrestler participates in a qualifier tournament at a specific weight, do they have to wrestle that at states? Are they allowed to drop a weight class? We are new to this...

Wrestlingprodigy40

Postby Wrestlingprodigy40 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:44 am

My understanding. Is whatever he wrestles at the qualifying tournament is the weight for states. If he goes to another qualifying tournament at a lower weight then you established a lower weight and can wrestle that weight at states. So tournament one qualifier he wrestles 55. That's his weight for states. Goes to tournament two qualifier goes 50. That is the lowest he can go at states is 50

Tphillips

Postby Tphillips » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:12 am

If the wrestler qualifies at a specific base weight they can only wrestle at that weight or go up. They can not drop to a lower weight for their regionals/states that they have not qualified for. The only way a wrestler can drop to a lower weight is if they re-establish their base at another qualifying tournament.

For example a wrestler qualifies at 85, they can wrestle 85 but if they grow they are allowed to go up to 90 and so on. If the same wrestler goes to another qualifying tournament and makes 80 then they have re-established their base at 80. They can now wrestle 80 or higher.

Hope this answers your question.

Campet

Postby Campet » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:19 am

Yes it does! Thank you so much.

ebpioneer96

Postby ebpioneer96 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:08 pm

Do the WVYWA point qualifier tournaments all have to be age as of Jan. 1st 2016, or can they be age as of day of tournament? On the entry forms for WVYWA point qualifier tournaments I have seen both. Just wondering.

Tphillips

Postby Tphillips » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:17 pm

January 1

Return to “Youth Wrestling”