West Virginia Jr. States

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
4thepin

Re: West Virginia Jr. States

Postby 4thepin » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:12 pm

Ohio has 2 state tournaments, OAC and OHWAY. Just thought I'd point that out considering that's one of the states people keep pointing to. I'm afraid this year with the current set up neither state tournament will be that great. Would really like to see this worked out so kids can attend both. If that doesn't happen it will hurt the talent level at both tournaments.

Wrestlingprodigy40

Postby Wrestlingprodigy40 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:59 pm

Last edited by Wrestlingprodigy40 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4thepin

Postby 4thepin » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:43 pm

Still doesn't change the fact they have 2. All I'm saying is there's no reason to make people choose one or the other. Have both, the better tournament will prevail in the end just like in Ohio. There's no reason regionals can't be moved to a different date. Region 6, the Wood co. region wasn't scheduled the weekend of JR States. Why can't the rest of the regions hold their tournament on the same date? That's what high school does...

Wrestle_DaD

Postby Wrestle_DaD » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:13 pm

How do u get points n this "new" way of doing things if u have to combine weight classes at the qualifying tournaments. Wv is not oh or pa. We do not have the kids. U want to promote a low budget sport in a small state. Then try and split the sides. If u believe this is about the kids n any way you r delusional. This is about money

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:34 am

Which leagues have chosen not to join the new state tourney? And, if my child is in one of those leagues, then how can he participate in the new tourney?

Goherd989

Postby Goherd989 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:43 am

mscoach64 wrote:Which leagues have chosen not to join the new state tourney? And, if my child is in one of those leagues, then how can he participate in the new tourney?

I am certainly no expert, but I think all you need to do is attend a qualifier at the weight you want your son to wrestle at states. But when I think out loud?? Do you even have to do that? Probably just sign them up for your local regional. I think placement in the qualifying tournament just helps you for seeding purposes at regionals...so you probably just have to go to your regional and place in top 4. I think I'm right but I'm sure someone will chime in if I am incorrect.
As for the leagues who have chosen not to go with the WVYWA, I have been told it's just the wood county league and teams. Not sure if that is correct as I have not went to any of the meetings.

Wrestlingprodigy40

Postby Wrestlingprodigy40 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:17 pm

Goherd989 wrote:
mscoach64 wrote:Which leagues have chosen not to join the new state tourney? And, if my child is in one of those leagues, then how can he participate in the new tourney?

I am certainly no expert, but I think all you need to do is attend a qualifier at the weight you want your son to wrestle at states. But when I think out loud?? Do you even have to do that? Probably just sign them up for your local regional. I think placement in the qualifying tournament just helps you for seeding purposes at regionals...so you probably just have to go to your regional and place in top 4. I think I'm right but I'm sure someone will chime in if I am incorrect.
As for the leagues who have chosen not to go with the WVYWA, I have been told it's just the wood county league and teams. Not sure if that is correct as I have not went to any of the meetings.

As far as I know. You have to go to one qualifier to have your base weight which is the lowest you can wrestle states. Then go to regionals if you place on to Big Sandy, but you have to go to one qualifier in your weight you want to wrestle. Even if it combined the weight he made us the weight. So say he weighed in for 50 but it ended up being combined with 55. They will note his weight and be fine for 50. Points is nothing more than just seeds. They don't combine for different weights so points made at 50 will stay at 50 and say he moves up to 10u from 8u then those points will be for 10u only. It will just help with seeds if needed. ( my understanding)

justawrestlingfan

Postby justawrestlingfan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:57 pm

My suggestions to the organizers of the Jr States...let the WVYWA have the youth leagues. Focus on middle school. Get WVSSAC sanctioning to operate a true middle school state tournament as most middle schools currently consider WSAZs to be the default middle school/junior high states because none exists. Run it exactly the way the high school state championships are with brackets and team scores. Last year 51 teams attended WSAZs and I imagine quite a few more would attend something that was sanctioned as a true middle school state championships (I live in the northern panhandle where there are about 15 ms teams that do not attend WSAZs). 60 teams @ $200 per team entry fee is $12,000. That alone should more than make up for your lost funding from letting the youth classes go completely to WVYWA plus you still have your gate fees and concessions (make it a two day tournament and you double gate fees and concessions).

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:52 am

Scheduling most regional tournaments the same day as Junior States is ridiculous. Whats the goal? To provide the kids with quality wrestling tournaments? Or to get into a long-term competition with Junior States resulting in both tournaments being significantly weaker than they should be?

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:46 am

I think part of the problem here is that there seems to be the perception that Jr States has a right to or "owns" a particular date. That simply isn't the case. Just because Jr States has traditionally been held on a certain weekend does not mean that no other tournaments or meets can be held that weekend.

WSAZs will be on Jan 22-23rd this year. I also see that there are high school tournaments (Frank Ferguson Brooke Classic, Calhoun Invitational, Lewis County Duals) and am aware of at least one middle school tournament (Southern Stampede) on Jan 23rd. Shouldn't we be criticizing those coaches/ADs for having the nerve to schedule their meets on the WSAZs date? Or do we use a little common sense and recognize that no organization owns the rights to a date?

The issue here is there are some parents who want their kid to compete at both Jr States and the WVYWA meet and now they have to choose one over the other and they are not happy about it.

Quite frankly, I am curious as to when the WVYWA would be able to have their regional qualifiers and it not get someone upset. If they move it back to the weekend before then they are interfering with high school states and making people choose between watching states or taking their kid to a regional qualifier, if they move it back to the weekend before high school states then they interfere with the WV Youth Wrestling Championships (assuming they stick to the same date), go a week earlier than that and they step on the Coalfield Conference Championships...anyway you shake it down, somebody is going to complain.

Campion

Postby Campion » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:05 am

Lol... My post was taken down. There are some sad parents that call themselves coaches with hidden agendas. Follow the money, someone said... Hmmm... Truth is only feared by some. Get the issues settled for the betterment of the sport so many of us love!

tsb1967

Postby tsb1967 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:13 am

My family is new to the state. We don't have any loyalties to the "old" or the "new". From what I gather here, the vast majority of the wrestling programs/coaches from across the state are in agreement and want the new system. They've formed a centralized governing body seeking input from , again, across the state. If the "new" way is what the majority of programs want, I don't see the problem.

Personal feelings and adult conflicts really need to be put aside.

DLife

Postby DLife » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:14 am

Wvywa bylaw!

Section 4.8 Salaries
The salaries of the officers shall be fixed from time to time by the Board of Directors, and
no officershall be prevented from receiving such salary by reason of the fact that he is also a director
of the Corporation.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:34 am

DLife wrote:Wvywa bylaw!

Section 4.8 Salaries
The salaries of the officers shall be fixed from time to time by the Board of Directors, and
no officershall be prevented from receiving such salary by reason of the fact that he is also a director
of the Corporation.

???? what is your point?

likeitis

Postby likeitis » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:45 pm

i agree with rick dunbar, just keep holding it, it is spite work on the same week end, lets see who gets the most kids,,,,they are doing ripley the same way. shame on them.

likeitis

Postby likeitis » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:48 pm

lets see how the lesser kids do at this tourn, that is being set up for the travel squads.

likeitis

Postby likeitis » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:51 pm

i also like these loyal parkersburg people that are being SUCKED in,

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:13 pm

What do you mean by "travel squads"? Everyone in WV went to Parkersburgh states last year right?

justwrestle

Postby justwrestle » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:08 am

The lesser kids will be saving their parents a lot of money. If they can't make the top 4 in their region most likely they will not make the podium. Perhaps they do not dedicate the time and work ethic it takes to be a qualifier. Besides they are not lesser kids they are just not the top youth wrestlers in the state.
This is the change our state has needed for quite sometime. It seems the only people that are trying to make it about money are the ones that have been making all the cash and keeping it in one area for many yrs. I do not think the WVYWA is doing this for money at all, I think they are doing it to help all areas of our state. To give the kids a reason to be proud to be a WV State Champion instead the champion of an open tournament with a weight class every 3 lbs. The people who keep complaining are all from that area, most everyone else is excited about it. So for those of us who are ready for it and excited about it we should just stop trying to argue with those who are not and let the wood county league have their States and the rest of us will be at the Big Sandy Arena. I refuse to open this topic again and listen to the selfishness of one area try to argue when they know the majority of the state wants this change. No need to bash me I will not be responding or wasting my time reading this topic any longer.

justawrestlingfan

Postby justawrestlingfan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:02 am

justwrestle wrote:The lesser kids will be saving their parents a lot of money. If they can't make the top 4 in their region most likely they will not make the podium. Perhaps they do not dedicate the time and work ethic it takes to be a qualifier. Besides they are not lesser kids they are just not the top youth wrestlers in the state.
This is the change our state has needed for quite sometime. It seems the only people that are trying to make it about money are the ones that have been making all the cash and keeping it in one area for many yrs. I do not think the WVYWA is doing this for money at all, I think they are doing it to help all areas of our state. To give the kids a reason to be proud to be a WV State Champion instead the champion of an open tournament with a weight class every 3 lbs. The people who keep complaining are all from that area, most everyone else is excited about it. So for those of us who are ready for it and excited about it we should just stop trying to argue with those who are not and let the wood county league have their States and the rest of us will be at the Big Sandy Arena. I refuse to open this topic again and listen to the selfishness of one area try to argue when they know the majority of the state wants this change. No need to bash me I will not be responding or wasting my time reading this topic any longer.

+1

Return to “Youth Wrestling”