West Virginia Jr. States

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
magna145

West Virginia Jr. States

Postby magna145 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:47 pm

With the creation of the West Virginia Youth Wrestling association and their state championship tournament, will there continue to to be the Jr. States Tournament in Parkersburg? I noticed that Jr States isn't listed on the youth open page and some of the regional qualifiers seem to take place on the traditional weekend for Jr. States (March 5th and 6th). If the Parkersburg Jr. States is going to continue does anyone know what the dates will be? Just trying to plan ahead. Thanks

RickDunbar

Re: West Virginia Jr. States

Postby RickDunbar » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:31 pm

Jr States will be the same weekend it has always been...the week after High School States. (March 5-6 this year). It is unfortunate that the new group has decided to hold most of their Qualifying Regional Tournaments the same weekend. Obviously this is being done for the entire purpose that this new group was created...to attempt to take over Jr. States which many of these individuals have been envious of for years.....if not decades.

Martin Best, the President of the New Organization, informed me yesterday that he was holding Wood County's Regional Qualifier on the same day as our Wood County League Championships which includes almost all the Region's teams other than that which Mr. Best is affiliated with. Not hardly the choice that a person would make who really wants to determine who the best wrestlers are in the state.

Mr. Best says that the new organization is just trying to promote West Virginia nationally by holding this new Tournament and wants to split the money up across the state. If this was true, the organizers would not be intentionally selecting their date to conflict with the most successful Youth Wrestling Tournament in the state which all the kids look forward to.

As it currently stands, it appears that most of you are going to be forced to chose which Tournament you take your kids to. If you don't like this, ask the organizors to change their date. If they don't, tell them that you are going to take your wrestler to the real State Tournament and not some modified version of the "Fake States" of the past.

magna145

Postby magna145 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:46 pm

Thanks for the reply Rick. We've been coming up to Jr. States the last 7 yrs, with my son. Therefore will finish his youth career up there this year. We always have a great weekend. See you In March.

Wrestlingprodigy40

Postby Wrestlingprodigy40 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:29 pm

Last edited by Wrestlingprodigy40 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:45 pm

Personally think the new format is a great idea and way overdue. :D

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:50 pm

The issue with people in our state isn't the money. WV has needed a qualifing process for years, If some of the best wrestling states in the country, like OH and PA have a qualifying process, why is that so bad for our state? If Mr. Dunbar and the wood county powers that be thought so much of the state tournament and its participants, one could argue that they would have tried to improve it over the years by getting a bigger and better venue, qualifying tournaments, and more accurate pairings, rather than ridiculous awards and start times that are hours late and kids wrestling until 11:00 PM. It will be great to not have coaches running between two gyms for the "real state tournament". I think many people are very excited to go to Big Sandy rather than Parkersburg High School, Although I am sure the rent for a weekend at ole' Big Red is a hell of a lot cheaper!

baxter841

Postby baxter841 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:18 pm

I would like be involved with both, but that does not sound like a possibility. That is a shame -surely the conflicting dates can be fixed - both organizations would benefit financially from resolving the conflict. Also, think about our youth, do it for them. It may seem like someone swallowing their pride, but to me it is more like someone doing what is right. I would have an increased respect for the organization that attempts to eliminate the conflict. Have a grand Thanksgiving everyone!!

4thepin

Postby 4thepin » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:35 pm

How does having a qualifying tournament make it a better tournament? The current structure of JR States allows all kids to participate. Say the top 7 kids in the state are all from 1 region, with the wvywa format you'll be missing some of the better kids. I know in OH and PA you have to qualify, but those states have THOUSANDS more wrestlers then we do. Qualifiers are great if your state has the wrestling population, but ours doesn't. The wvywa tournament could very well end up being the better tournament, but if the end result is to make WV a better wrestling state. Than why would you want your regionals to interfere with JR States. All that will do is leave you with 2 state tournaments with watered down competition. Thus making WV state champions from either state tournament not TRUE state champions.

If the end result is truly to make us better... Then regionals shouldn't interfere with JR States... Keep them completely seperate and the better tournament will prevail. For those saying OUR states is basically a big open and it's not legit. I guess Tulsa Nationals and Reno worlds aren't really Nationals tournaments because they're basically just big opens.

J.W.

Postby J.W. » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:40 pm

I am not on the WVYWA board but have attended many meetings, read the bylaws, and have tried to educate myself on both sides of this ongoing transition. As the WVYWA committed to not getting into confrontational arguments on the WV Mat forum in order to remain professional and respect the administrator who runs this site, they will not stoop to the level of ridiculing or responding to personal attacks. They utilize the regional meetings, website, and the regional representatives to communicate and pass information. Wood County has been invited on numerous occassions to meetings and have chosen to not attend. They have their right of choice as do all parents, coaches and teams.

With that being said I also believe that all have the right to not be misled.

First and foremost the regional tournament mentioned to be scheduled on the same day as the Wood County rec league is not true. They are one week apart and that was done with respect to the league and wrestlers that may or may not be effected. Their is an open tournament that day that allows non wood county rec wrestlers in the state a place to compete. No effect on those that choose thir league tournament.

Secondly, it is true that most regional tournaments are on the same day as Parkersburg's Youth Championship but was not set to interfere with them as much as to align with running the regional event, having the additional weekend to finalize qualifiers ,have buffer for weather and utilize Big Sandy arena on the availability date. The board voted to allow that region to offset if necessary to allow their wrestlers and family flexibility in our first year, again showing a sign of good faith to that area.

I find it hard to believe that the terms watered down or fake states are being used when statistically speaking using last year's youth states results:

80 percent of the placers last year in Parkersburg are from teams that have committed to the WVYWA.

85 percent of state finalists from last year in Parkersburg are from teams that have committed to the WVYWA.

From a raw numbers approach, 49 of the 72 teams that had place winners in last year's tournament have committed to the WVYWA. 11 have voiced that they will remain with the current Parkersburg tournament. And 12 have not been fully contacted or are undecided. This does not count individuals listed as Independent.

This post was only posted to ensure the most accurate and analyzed information was being passed to educate readers instead of generalized attacks or misleading information.

Each of you will have a choice to make and wish all wrestlers, families and teams the best of luck this upcoming season. At the end of the day we want the best for each of our kids and the wrestlers we coach. How you achieve your goals and results are up to you and the wrestlers.

RickDunbar

Postby RickDunbar » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:22 pm

JW...I personally spoke with Martin Best in person yesterday at the Blue & White Tournament and he told me that he had scheduled the Regional Qualifier for Feb. 13 which is the same date which I had already scheduled our League Championships. Which is th same weekend it has been for the past 15 years. So please do not call me a liar. Mr. Best knew that our League Tournament was the same date when he scheduled it.

whatever...happened with people using their names in their post? Guess you can say whatever you want when you are speaking anonymously!

J.W.

Postby J.W. » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:59 pm

Rick, JW stands for Jory Whorton. I would have assumed you knew who I was from emailing me last year when you were asking me about trackwrestling after states last year. Never called you a liar, no reason to hide from you, and their qualifier is on the 20th, not the 13th. I was at the meeting where it was discussed. Good luck and glad all is now cleared up.

Sling Shot

Postby Sling Shot » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:23 pm

My 2 cents.... The reason the other states around us need regional qualifiers is that they have a much larger number of kids wrestling. I don't know exact numbers, but I don't think any of the brackets at the WV State tournament would have filled a 32 man bracket. If those other states didn't have qualifiers they would probably more than double that.
I'm not sure I see the value for qualifying regionals if it is not needed. Heck, there are several weight classes that can barely fill an 8 man bracket.
WV simply does not need these. I am not an "everyone gets a trophy" person at all, but what does it hurt to let anyone enter as long as the size of brackets stay the way they are. If we grow as a state and start to see huge brackets, then yes, it will be time for qualifiers.
I agree that as a state we have outgrown the current venue. Parkersburg High has been gracious to let us use their facility, but we do need somewhere larger. Personally I think the charleston civic center or another arena would be great. They would allow for more room and it would be much easier to control who goes on the floor. Security could be placed at the "tunnel" entrances to the floor. It would be less chaotic and more fan friendly to see the wrestling.
Rick and the crew do a great job with the tourney. Hope they continue, just at a bigger sight. Hopefully everyone can figure out a way to work together to continue to have a successful state tourney.

likeitis

Postby likeitis » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:31 pm

lets keep the ole one going, all this jealousy going around, wrestling has been, will be, always in p-burg. support it

Blueandwhite

Postby Blueandwhite » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:18 pm

I am looking forward to the new states, everyone in the state will benefit from it. I think it is sad to see people putting down others for trying to better the wrestling in the state. And jealously I think is not the issue, I think the issue is having a tournament that you have to work toward all year to be able to attend. Why work hard if all you have to do is pay your $25.00 and go wrestle. This will make the kids work harder and strive to be better. Looking forward to a great year of wrestling.

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:39 am

Mr. Best contacted me last week about a Cougar Tournament on Feb. 13th. He was not aware that it was the same day as the Wood County Recreation Championship until I told him I already had that event on my schedule. I did not get the impression they intentionally booked the same day.
This year, Parkersburg High will be hosting the Region 1 AAA Championship on Feb. 20th. HS Regional weekend was the weekend the Cougars had their tournament last year. So they had to find a new date for their tournament.
The Toughman Competition is at the Fieldhouse on Feb 5th-6th, which interfered with the Wood County Middle School Championship where it was usually held on Wednesday and Thursday of that week.

Here is a schedule that I received from Coach Way and Mr. Dobson, the PHS Athletic Director
partial P-Burg Fieldhouse Schedule February
Friday Jan 29 - WV Duals
Saturday Jan 30 - WV Duals
Monday Feb 1 - Day 1 Wood County MS Championship
Tuesday Feb 2 - Girls Basketball
Wednesday Feb 3 - Finals Wood County MS Championship
Thursday Feb 4 - Setup Toughman
Friday Feb 5 - Day 1 Toughman
Saturday Feb 6 - Day 2 Toughman
Saturday Feb 13th - Cougar Classic
Saturday Feb 20th - Region 1 AAA Championship
I do not know where other people are getting their info from.

The Cougars are in a tough spot to find a date, but then again, that is the path they choose and I'm sure they will work through it. Good luck to all.

Thanks - Brent

justwrestle

Postby justwrestle » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:31 am

I feel this is the best thing that could happen for our youth wrestlers. If you are not the best in your region chances are slim to none that you would place at states.
We have attended both point qualifiers and I feel the clubs holding them are doing a fantastic job. These tournaments are spreading the wealth across the state.
Great job by the board members and wvywa members for running things smoothly in such a short period of time.
Can't wait to see what the future holds for youth wrestling in WV!

tsb1967

Postby tsb1967 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:22 pm

Having qualifiers raises the standards. Generally, when standards are raised performance improves. The kids are going to have to work to earn their spots in the state tournament. In states where wrestlers have to qualify, qualifying means something. It's a source of pride and accomplishment. They earn the right to wear "State Bound" t-shirts. They can hold their heads high and say, "I qualified for states." You're giving them something more to shoot for.

I'd guess that having qualifiers, in the long term, will increase participation and the level of wrestling.

At first, I'm sure there will be some growing pains. That's part of growing.

Sling Shot

Postby Sling Shot » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:09 pm

Come on guys from both sides, it's time to throw pride and stubbornness to the side. There has to be some way that the leaders from each side can get together and come up with a plan to have one, unified, state tournament. This does not mean putting a post on wvmat announcing an info meeting for everyone to attend. It's means picking up the phone, making direct contact, and sitting down to meet face to face as a small group and work it out. I can see valid points for both sides, which means there is room for compromise.
Ultimately this bickering and fueding among adults is hurting the kids. I have no dog in the fight, but if my son was still in youth wrestling, there is no way I would get him a "state champion" tshirt if he were to win, regardless of which tourney he attended. If you do not have all the best participating in one state tournament, then our state has taken a huge step backward if legitimacy is what we are looking for. It's time for some give and take guys, make it happen.

mattman

Postby mattman » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:39 pm

I think Rick and crew did a fine job in Parkersburg but I think it was time for a change. It's gonna take 3 maybe 4 years for the new era states to reach full potential. My concerns about the new state tournament being at the big sandy arena are mainly expenses. For all who have been to the wsaz and high school state tournament we know how expensive it is to watch a day of wrestling. They checked my mothers purse to make sure she didn't smuggle in a bottle of water or food of any type. They even turn off the water fountain and imo that is overdoing it just a bit. The food prices are crazy for a family of 5. I also hope they are gonna charge by the day and not per session. I'm not trying to spend 500$ for a weekend of wrestling. Anyone with information on this subject? Please fill us in

NJA

Postby NJA » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:09 pm

This is Jason Andrick the Regional Chairman for Region 6.
The Cougar Classic is February 13th. It is a qualifying tournament to allow wrestlers to make base weight and earn top 100 points for the entire state to attend.

The Regional Tournament for Region 6 is on February 20th, but maybe move to February 21 as not to interfere with High School Regionals.
It is for wrestlers from Region 6 only to advance to WVYWA State Championship at Big Sandy.
This Tournament does not interfere with the Wood County Rec League Tournament.

ebpioneer96

Postby ebpioneer96 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:34 pm

How many points do you get for finishing in the top four of the point qualifier tournaments.

RWWS

Postby RWWS » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:57 pm

Would love to hear everybody's thoughts on this topic. Please call tomorrow to the Rick Welker Wrestling Show at (304) 214-1600. We had the opportunity to speak with Todd Shelek and Martin Best last week and would like to get the thoughts from others. If you would like to voice your opinion or make a statement please feel free to call WKKX Am 1600 the Ohio Valley Watchdog or if out of the listening area you can tune in at the www.watchdognetwork.com or on IHeartRadio tomorrow from 7 pm to 8:30.

Wrestlingprodigy40

Postby Wrestlingprodigy40 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:40 am

Last edited by Wrestlingprodigy40 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

likeitis

Postby likeitis » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:03 pm

come on, its pee wee wrestling, its not like to many of these kids are going to be olympic wrestlers or even get a free ride to college, seems to me, its all about the parents. then you wonder why kids get tired of it. pressure to win. let them be kids. do not say its not true, i have been around it for years and have seen how some parents treat there kids for not doing as good as daddy or mommy thought. most of you were not very good yourself.

Wrestlingprodigy40

Postby Wrestlingprodigy40 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:22 pm

Last edited by Wrestlingprodigy40 on Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:04 pm

Wow, all I can say have you ever heard the old saying. "FOLLOW THE MONEY AND YOU WILL FIND ROOT OF ALL EVIL." I have seen things at pee wee tournaments that would blow your mind. I saw an official throw a parent (coach) out of JR States and was justified in doing so. The tournament director let him back in and paid official to leave. (really) I seen tournament director black ball officials because they where outside of wood county and didn't want to upset people. As recently as Saturday, a saw a parent screaming and m'fing his kid because he got beat. NO I wasn't able to keep my mouth shut. This same parent (coach) tried yelling at an official and he was DEAD wrong and didn't know the RULES. We are talking about kids and dedicated coaches trying to make it better. EVERYBODY needs to take a deep breath, it will be alright. Lets the kids wrestle, let the new young officials learn, let the coaches teach them WHAT the sport truly is and relax. I have been officiating for 30 years and it is comical the things you see and hear at these tournament. Don't get me wrong the KIDS are great when they are having fun, 80% of the coaches are great, we need to put it in perspective. How many of the 500 kids you see at these tournaments are going to even wrestle in high school. I can honestly say 50% of the things I see a these tournaments border child neglect. No I am not one that thinks every kid gets a trophy. However, we as adults are not looking at clearly. Hope all works out and believe it is a step in right direction. NOW let's go eat some turkey.

Chris Diserio
CW 0441

Goherd989

Postby Goherd989 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:12 pm

2 cents from a 3rd party observer. I am the parent of a wrestler and I like the new rule changes.
Number one, I have heard my son tell friends or others about going to junior states and him being asked what he had to do to make it there. Which he replied...anybody can go. I can tell you it doesn't sound nearly as impressive to others when you don't even have to qualify for the state tournament. Check to WVYWA.

My son also likes to read the results of tournaments he is in and others that he is not able to attend. Results are not usually posted. Already three of the 4 youth tournaments held this year have posted results and posted them quickly. The only one not to post are the organizers of the Blue and White, which I believe would fall under the Wood County rec league umbrella. Maybe they are planning on it...but if past blue whites are any indication, the results probably won't be posted. So for point 2....Check WVYWA.
The stats posted by the poster above...80 % of placers, 85% of finalists are from teams committed to the WVYWA. To me this trumps all others. It sounds like you will have the junior states for wood county Rec league wrestlers and the WVYWA states for the rest of the state. One seems a lot more impressive than the other.

Lastly, I didn't even know we needed the changes as I was overall happy with the junior states at Parkersburg. But after seeing the changes and listening to why...I think we are taking a step forward with the WVYWA.

baxter841

Postby baxter841 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:37 am

So.... this year can a wrestler participate in both Parkersburg Junior States and the WVYWA championships as well? ( i hope yes )

If so then I believe both competitions have the potential to be quality tournaments.

magna145

Postby magna145 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:19 am

baxter841 wrote:So.... this year can a wrestler participate in both Parkersburg Junior States and the WVYWA championships as well? ( i hope yes )

If so then I believe both competitions have the potential to be quality tournaments.

As of now, it appears the answer is no. The Parkersburg Jr States Tournament is always the weekend after High School states and that is the weekend that WVYWA has chosen for their qualifiers as well. You will have to chose one or the other unless things change.

Wrestlingprodigy40

Postby Wrestlingprodigy40 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:38 pm

Last edited by Wrestlingprodigy40 on Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Youth Wrestling”